Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I watched this show over a week back in February or March and thought it was the smartest and coolest thing I’d seen on TV in a long time. Count me as one of the people who learned about the massacre from the show and being just hosed up by it.

I really enjoyed the whole thing and I think it’s funny how all the criticism at the time were like “these hyper militarized masked police being infiltrated by white supremacy is just kinda far fetched” and now look at the state of our entire country, just insane.

The highlight of the show is definitely the drug sequence but I was invested the whole time. I even forgave the stupidity of the Time stuff, even though I absolutely loathe time traveling in any form, they make an earnest attempt to weave Timelessness into the very fabric of Dr. Manhattan’s character I respect that.

It was also weird being on such a roller coaster with Ozzy, I feel like you go from hating him to rooting for him and back and forth over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really feel like that is not present in this show and the cops are actively portrayed as antagonists multiple times, including the middle and end, and are only really painted in a good light in the first 1-2 episodes before the main character herself is no longer an asset to them.

The show runner also said he doesn’t want to do a 2nd season so hopefully he just does something else.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
“This show, which portrays cops as ignorant racists, depicting them going to war with their own black co-worker as she begins to unravel how their chief was a white supremacist and the cops murdered a bunch of other cops to make Tulsa look more racist, is actually pro-cop!”

It’s weird that this criticism keeps coming from the same crowd of people who feel like the critics didn’t watch the whole show, because I think the only way you could think this show was pro-cop is if you watched only the first episode.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Sleeveless posted:

Yet another way Watchmen was a harbinger of what was to come in 2020, it was one of the early casualties of the phenomena of people being told something incorrect about a piece of media before anyone has had a chance to watch it and then refusing to let go of that narrative even after the thing finally comes out and they can see for themselves that it's not true.

Yeah this happened with really big video game this summer (The Last of Us 2) and all that fuss amounted to a pile of dumb thinkpieces and a bunch of goons screeching and squawking about all sorts of poo poo and then being proven completely loving wrong about the whole thing and some of them just dug their heels in even further.

I also feel like they depict Angela as violent and unstable and her only really good quality is being a good mom. Looking Glass likes her enough to try to help her out and trust her but she seems as broken as the rest of them. The Slavic guy in the red seemingly only exists to remind you how stupid and silly the whole thing is, or the Panda head guy looking like poo poo, these cops are 100% NOT HEROES

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I get violent and desperate and impatient, but what does she do that is “evil” at any point, besides arguably murder her husband during what could easily have been a manic episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Doesn't Alan Moore specifically, literally regrets making Rorschach "cool"? Also doesn't he regret just about anything he ever did? Maybe not the right guy to consider here, but I definitely remember him being frustrated that people liked the character.

Alan Moore is sort of like JK Rowling in that he did some really cool storytelling but probably should have reigned themselves in a little bit or listened to their editor more and absolutely should have just shut the gently caress up after 2005, IMO. He’s just a creepy old crank and that’s pretty much all he’s been for the last 25 years, but Watchmen and VFV and TLoEG and Swamp Thing are all pinnacles of the medium so *SHRUG*

Promethea was boring and just sort of became a textbook for horny mysticism and went nowhere, I never read GIRLS because the cover looked very Pedo, and I tapped out after the first Neonomicon because I just honestly hated the art style.

The Killing Joke is absolutely awesome, but I think it’s a great example of modern comics taking all of the wrong lessons from it and creating the worst generation of Batman ever.