Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Oooh, is this the hot take zone?

I thought it had some real problematic centrist bullshit and ultimately had nothing interesting to say, but was well made and entertaining enough, and will be largely forgotten in a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Harlock posted:

Given the overwhelmingly positive critic response I feel like that's unlikely.

Do you know how many things get massive critical acclaim and loving jump off a cliff? Like every other Best Picture Winner for the Oscars is irrelevant before the ceremony ends. Critical acclaim doesn't mean poo poo in and of itself, it's why it's getting acclaim. And I don't think Watchman's "message" was coherent enough to be interesting, I don't think any of the [Quite good] performances are compelling enough to want to watch again, and I don't think the plot itself is particularly setup to continue forward, which would create a broader narrative that might warrant reexamining this season.

Being good isn't enough to make something stand the test of time. Hell, there are plenty of 'bad' works that have something compelling to them that get people to revisit them. The life of a work is more than it's technical achievements. I think Watchman was good and forgettable.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
You traded a disinterested blue man for a blue woman, at least Jon had the decency to gently caress off to space. I don't think the the violent cop will have the same inclination.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
4 was the one in Himalayan mountains, are you sure you don't mean 5?

Also comparing a piece of media to Far Cry 5 is the most damning indictment of it's execution I can imagine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Because nothing builds hype like saying "We have no interest in this project"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Life must be so much easier when you're the kind of person who can dismiss ratings, reviews, and awards as all being totally fake because they don't line up with your personal tastes.

I mean they are totally fake because they manifestly do poo poo like give awards to people that deserved to win them in previous years for better projects but didn't. Doesn't mean you can't be happy when the thing you like gets one.

And I'd say this one won about 4 more Emmys than it should have, at least. loving Devs blew it out of the water on some of those sound Emmys, it in no way had exceptional costumes, poo poo like that.