Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

That was a very strong start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

To paraphrase Moore: they're all what if stories.

I think if you're going to do a Watchmen show this is the best way to do it. It's not fetishizing the characters or setting and seems to have something new to say. Going to reserve judgement until a few eps in, but I hope this continues to be very loosely be related to the source material.

It's clear the title is filling two critical roles here:

First, and most importantly: prestige. This seems like a show that probably could have been made as its own intellectual property (none of the main characters are from the comic?), but no executive is putting their chips behind a superhero show without some sort of cultural cache. If buying the rights lets Lindelof make his superhero drama of choice, so be it. In fact, it probably gives him a bit more creative freedom to pull off things like that utterly fantastic opening scene.

Second, and more interestingly: a universe/base of themes to build off. It's not hard to see how the show's gonna address the same basic question of how hosed up do things get if you try to make superheroes '"real," and I think its a great choice to essentially use the original Watchmen and their story in the same basic way the comic series treated the Minutemen.

The Leftovers elevated itself to one of my top three favorite shows of all time once it stopped treating the source material as story and started treating it as background. The fact that Lindelof jumped immediately to that starting point has me INCREDIBLY high on the potential of this show.

motherbox fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 22, 2019

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

This is gonna go down as either the greatest or stupidest first season in television history.

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

Who the gently caress is Lubeman?

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

scary ghost dog posted:

get this: hooded justice was black. dr manhattan is black now. the cops are superheroes, and the superheroes are supervillains. im very good at writing

Regardless of what you think of the main plot, the Hooded Justice stuff was amazing and was 100 percent in the spirit of what the original comic did with the Charlton comics characters.