Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Lindelof mentioned in an interview that he didn’t believe Rorschach was racist at any rate.

Anyways I liked the episode well enough but wasn’t particularly wowed by it. It has me curious about the long run at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

There was all the stuff before The Sopranos too, like Twin Peaks or the great foreign language dramas like Berlin Alexanderplatz. Good TV existed before the Y2K scare.

I’ve gone up and down over the years on Lindelof and I think season 1 of The Leftovers is the only thing of his I think is good without any kind of asterisk next to it. Still, this Watchmen pilot seems better the more I stew on it and these interviews have me increasingly (But still cautiously) optimistic about the rest of the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lmao has anyone seen the IMDb user reviews for this show? Tons of idiots are coming out to complain that HBO has ruined Watchmen by making it "too political".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Memnaelar posted:

This show is better than it has any right to be.

I'm also surprised by how many friends of mine who've never read Watchmen are enjoying the show. I was positive, after watching the first two episodes, that anyone who didn't have the context of the comics would be "WTF, I'm out" after all of the unexplained phenomena that only readers would have some context for, but most of the people I talk to are digging it regardless of not really knowing the backdrop.
I think even if you haven't read the comic book, most of what's at the the forefront of the TV show feels rooted in familiar police drama genre stuff.

Like so far this doesn't feel THAT far off from The Shield or something like that, even if the background elements like raining squids are weird.

massive spider posted:

In the Watchmen comic there are an absolute shittone of little visual gags where whats in one panel directly references a later panel so I've been looking out for them. The kids playing with the 'ghost' immediately sutup the KKK robe reveal.
Oooh, nice catch.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Literally had the same thought
I’m glad I’m not alone.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I hope lube guy remains completely unexplained for the rest of the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tbh I do think Lindelof's writing shines best when he keeps the plot/mysteries/etc. in the background and puts the emphasis on character. Like I honestly don't even care all that much about where/how/why Veidt is imprisoned, but just watching him go nuts with crazy catapult bullshit is great.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

True. And him going back for the alarm may be what saves him, because he’ll likely go over to the bunker and the 7K guys are in the house.
It would certainly mirror (Pun intended) how him going into the funhouse seemed to save him in the opening.

Good episode, good show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The tape is real, however it was recorded by the Watchmen universe's version of the actor Jeremy Irons.

Jeremy Irons was brainwashed into believing he was the real Ozymandias and trapped on Jupiter as a distraction from the real Ozymandias, who is hiding in the shadows somewhere, enacting his evil plot...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Groke posted:

The original Watchmen comic does it, like, all the drat time.
Yeah for real. I started rereading the comic for the first time in over a hundred years the other day and it happens way more than I remembered. The pages with the Paglicacci joke are a good example.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DivisionPost posted:

I’ve seen Birth of a Nation and I absolutely see where he’s coming from.
Honestly the scene where they actually invent the Klan outfit in that film feels very similar to to any given Batman adaptation where Bruce Wayne decides a bat outfit will scare superstitious criminals.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wouldn't say the show surpasses the original comic book, but the pills, flashlight hypnosis, and even Veidt's CD all revolve around the ideas about how events in the past shape the present/future and will even re-emerge in the present if they weren't properly resolved in the past the first place.

The Minutemen did not come together to defeat the KKK, leading to present problems (And the reason why Hooded Justice even has the flashlight today). Veidt got away with his squid plan, and he's likely to re-emerge in the present again too. On a literal level the pills cause the past's existence to assert itself on Sister Night.

It's all about legacy, and to me part of good writing (At least in the mode Watchmen the HBO show is working in) is there being thematic purpose to plot developments.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 26, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Are you loving kidding me

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think Laurie said she thought Cal was hot a few times too.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly the foreshadowing is there, but the whole idea just seems stupid on a gut level to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

poo poo maybe Hooded Justice is actually Veidt in disguise.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It was actually paced well enough that you have time to put it together before she reaches the house. May not end up being a good reveal, but like everything else it’s executed well.
Yeah that's the thing. Like, structurally the twist is probably one of the better ones Lindelof has ever set up. It comes together better than most of the major Lost plot twists do.

It's just that the idea behind the twist itself still makes me go "Really? That's what we're doing after all?".

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Orange Devil posted:

I'm starting to suspect the 7th Cavalry might not be very fine people.
I dunno, they seem all white to me.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If anything they spend too much time setting up the squid with the Black Freighter segments.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I assumed the relationship with Captain Metropolis was a nod to the rumors in the comics, but tbh yeah I do think it could have been explored further since identity and the hiding of identities is a pretty huge thing in this show.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What more is there to explore? It was there literally to show that he hides his identity in multiple ways and grapples with multitudes. It also establishes that he has loose morals, adds characterization, and of course is a reference to the source material.
Just to be clear, its not that specific scene I take issue with as much as for all that white supremacy gets skewered in this show, homophobia seems fairly absent despite America also having an ugly history with that. And maybe it should come up more when “The first super hero was a guy into dudes” is a key part of this setting.

Like you would think there would be more open homophobes among the 7th Kavalry and such that already would have hated Hooded Justice and his legacy when they thought he was a white guy.

IOW its the broader implications of HJ being LGBT I think there should be more on, not necessarily HJ’s relationship with Metropolis itself.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 5, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man we didn’t even have Wikipedia when I was in grade school...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyone that doesn't think Lube Man is objectively morally good is wrong and evil.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

God its like the Locke/Richard compass scene all over again.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't expect the season finale to be good, but man I was so much more into the show they lead us to believe this started as instead of the one its turned into.

Like using the predestination paradox to explain the loving inciting incident of this narrative is just so whatever. I like the Lindelof that does low key character stuff, I hate the Lindelof that pulls this poo poo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Angela creating a paradox where Will knows about Judd because of her is the exact same paradox the main characters on Lost cause when they tell Richard about Locke and summarize the show to him.
Happens with The Incident too IIRC. They loving loved doing that on Lost and its disappointing to see it again here in Watchmen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Niwrad posted:

Leftovers season 1 was really good and a few bad reviewers were exposed by it. Those same reviewers had to magically backtrack and say they loved seasons 2 and 3 when it was clear the show was terrific.
Eh the approach in seasons 2 and 3 is still pretty different.

Like I loved season 1 and wasn’t into seasons 2 and 3 myself. You see the opposite sentiment a lot though too where people think season 1 is too sad or something but they really enjoy 2 and 3.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This story always irks me since the literal first scene of the movie is someone running into Kane's room to help him as he's dying.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I remember in high school once, during study hall, I was reading Slaughterhouse V and this girl I was sitting next to got really audibly annoyed. I asked her what was wrong and she wanted to know how on Earth I could read an entire series of books about slaughterhouses like that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FWIW Lindelof doesn't believe Rorschach was a white supremacist.

quote:

There’s also the rise of the Seventh Calvary, a roaming vigilante group that wears Rorschach masks to carry out severe hate crimes against people of color. As Lindelof said, it wasn’t Rorshach’s choice to be an icon for white supremacists to appropriate his image into their message of hate.

“He’s been dead for over 30 years, he doesn’t get to say, ‘You misunderstood me. No, I wasn’t a white supremacist.’ They decided what he was,” Lindelof said. “We felt that was a really interesting idea to embed in the show because we were [appropriating the original Watchmen story for our own ends] ourselves.”
https://www.inverse.com/article/59815-watchmen-damon-lindelof-on-white-surprmacist-adoption-of-rorshach

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lube Man is eternal. He will defeat any terrorists that appropriate his ways and he will do so with extreme prejudice and his lube.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The comparison has been made before Irons plays him more like an evil Doc Brown more than anything else.

Its fun in the show but doesn’t feel particularly congruous with the comics. Like this isn’t the guy I can imagine doing Olympian stuff on television.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I’m down for an entire season of Daniel drinking himself to death in a cheap apartment somewhere.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Can’t say I liked the ending much. “Lol let’s cut before the answer to the mystery” already felt derivative to me when The Leftovers S3 finale did it and it feels even moreso here.

Oh well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If there’s a season 2 I hope its set on the docks like in The Wire.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ElNarez posted:

yeah, and obviously my favorite part of watchmen the comic is when Seymour picks up Rorschach's journal from the crank file, prints it in the New Frontiersman, and completely exposes Veidt for what he's done, and then he ends up facing justice
At least in the comic, like the entire last issue was about whether exposing Veidt's plans was right or not, so leaving it on an ambiguous note makes some amount of sense since its a moral question that doesn't necessarily have an easy answer and ties pretty easily into the larger themes in the comic about vigilante justice.

I'm not sure the show's ending really works in a similar way with what came before in the season. Beyond that though, my biggest issue is still that it feels like Lindelof repeating himself as an artist (Let alone the comic) which is just kind of boring.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Season 2 will be about Will using the mind control gun on Angela Manhattan.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Honestly the Trieu/cross thing would have been fine if they only showed the shot the one time.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That being said Trieu being a sort-of virgin birth and getting the Jesus hole in her hand in addition to the cross thing might have been a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For all I disliked the last three episodes, if Trieu-as-Jesus killing the Cyclops is supposed to be an intentional inversion of the ending to Birth of a Nation that's pretty clever, not just on the face of it but considering Moore's views as well.