Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I'm surprised that during the earlier "There is no way wheelchair guy can be Hooded Justice because Hooded Justice had sympathies for the Third Reich" no one mentioned that the relationship between black people and jewish people in NYC has a long and very frosty history. Sufi Abdul Hamid, who would have been a contemporary of Hooded Justice, was virulently antisemitic. Meanwhile, the Nazis would use black children in the Hitler Youth as propaganda.

It's not something that makes sense through a modern lens at all, but if we put ourselves in the shoes of a black New Yorker in the 30s it makes a lot more sense. Both Hooded Justice and the Nazis felt that they are being kept down by the system and for both of them Jews would have been the ultimate symbol of that system, as per Sufi Abdul Hamid's belief that Jews are the worst kind of white person.

It doesn't even have to be a crazy antisemite like Abdul Hamid. Look at what James Baldwin wrote: "In Harlem.... our ... landlords were Jews, and we hated them. We hated them because they were terrible landlords and did not take care of the buildings. The grocery store owner was a Jew... The butcher was a Jew and, yes, we certainly paid more for bad cuts of meat than other New York citizens, and we very often carried insults home along with our meats... and the pawnbroker was a Jew—perhaps we hated him most of all." A black man who has sex with men would have absolutely been familiar with Baldwin and that's on top of his own lived experience which would mirror Baldwin's.

We think of Nazis as a sort of ur-racist now with a deep seated hatred of all other races. That's not unfair, they were horrific bastards. It doesn't take much imagination to realize that a black man wouldn't have faired much better under a victorious Third Reich than a Slav. But racial biases being what they are, thinking "The Nazis are gonna stick it to the Jews, the French and the Slavs in roughly that order and gently caress all those people" is something I could see Hooded Justice thinking.

I also dug how the titles were in Dr. Manhattan order. She was literally killed by space junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
I mean, it's been ongoing since forever. The Golden Age from 1955-1966, inasmuch as it existed and the CIA-mediated fracturing of the Civil Rights movement which folded a lot of the antisemitic elements into the Nation of Islam (and BHI, lol) at the same time Jews were becoming more "white" in the postwar era as part of American national mythmaking put things on a low simmer. It's not like Hymietown came out of nowhere.

Crown Heights riots aren't a start. They are part of a long history of friction. Baldwin and Hamid lived in Harlem.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Sleeveless posted:

The streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down, and whisper "Shouldn't have voted against your own interests lol"

This is amazing.

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
The sleeper hit is the "Well, actually, the poor relationship between black and jewish New Yorkers only dates back to a specific incident in 1991, fully seven years after Jesse Jackson tanked his presidential campaign by talking about 'Hymietown' for apparently no reason."

Most racially ignorant thing I've seen on these forums since pre-Iraq when people were still using the N-word "ironically".

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

mllaneza posted:

On the one hand, no war but class war. But let's win the race war right loving now. It has to happen first; our black brothers and sisters need the help, they deserve the help, they need it now, and that will break the divide and conquer strategy being played by the capitalist class.

If people haven't read Black Marxism, now is a good time.

If you (the generalized you, the reader. Not the person I am quoting) discovered Black Wallstreet through this show (no shame, we all have stuff we need to learn) that should be the next book you purchase. Your local lefty bookstore or your local black owned bookstore should be happy to buy it for you. Amazon has it too, I am sure, though I feel like that is cheating.

Incelshok Na fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I phrased my initial post stupidly, mis-using “provenance” when I meant “precedent.” Obviously it’s a tension with more than a century of history behind it. I meant to say that, contrary to the assertion it’s some vestigial thing dating back to the 30’s or earlier, there are very recent events that inform that tension in recent history. As well.

Another poster implied that anti-Jewish sentiment among the black community might seem odd or unprecedented if viewed through a modern lens, and I was arguing that this is untrue; it’s also a tension that continues to reaffirm itself in younger generations now. I’ve met people from that community who are younger and black, and that incident is the thing they pointed to to justify an anti-Jewish bias.

That makes way more sense.

When I lived in the Bronx, my Dominican neighbors had some *choice* words about Jews. The core renter/landlord dynamic is still very real and breeds a lot of resentment.