Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Agreed that this was a good start to the show. I've got a lot of questions. For someone whose first introduction to the story is the original graphic novel, I can't help but wonder if there is any more direct relation between those characters and the new story. Right now we got...

A terrorist organization inspired by Rorschach because of course
The police using Nite Owl tech
And I guess Dr Manhattan is still tooling around on Mars

My biggest question was who Jeremy Irons was. There were certainly hints that he was somebody. Well, I guess I just got spoiled with the Wikipedia entry for the show. Makes the most sense of who it could be.

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of interesting to see that there are no cell phones in this world.

Where did you see this implied? I missed it.

Le Saboteur posted:

That preview of whats to come was some ambitious looking stuff.

Yeah, this show is gonna get weird and I am down for it.

Preston Waters posted:

I wouldn't put it past the government to be in on the little secret to remind the world that it better not forget who the "real enemy" is.

edit: by that I mean they randomly cause squid storms to keep the guise up. Didn't look like Veidt was doing anything to cause it. Plus, what if he died? No more squid rain?

I'd find it hard to believe that the guise could be kept up. The Cavalry is outright quoting Rorschach. That means his journal got published. With that, I don't see how Veidt's lie could be sustained. Then again, with what Regina's character said about the world not being pretty, perhaps the lie is still alive.

I'm betting the squid poo poo is a true side effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Miching Mallecho posted:

pay attention to the wall during the classroom scene to find who became president after Nixon

Robert Redford

DC Comics is publishing an event story called Doomsday Clock, where the Watchmen characters cross over into the DC world after their world takes a turn for the worse once the veil of the lie falls. In that story, he's been president this entire time as well.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

So this was actually good? The ads made it look awful, and no other attempt to build on the story had been even tolerable. I think they had Dr. Manhattan hanging out with Batman a while ago.

Batman hasn't met him yet, but he has met with others. The book is nearing the end, though it's gone through several delays.

I like it. It's an interesting story. I hope it is used to make far-reaching changes to the DC universe, because that seems to be what the story is setting up.

Philthy posted:

I have no idea what's going on other than liberals vs conservatives.

How so? I don't see it. I can't imagine how you could say the Cavalry is liberal. (The police force has to be conservative, right?)

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

I guess Rorschach wouldn't have been considered a reliable witness, so... yeah. It'd be that world's 9/11 conspiracy.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i thought the kkk strafing people with aeroplanes in 1921 was over the top and welp turns out they actually did it :stare:

When I saw that I was like "Okay okay so in the Watchmen world the KKK went bigger, got it."

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

Necrothatcher posted:

The main thing I've picked up on my Watchmen re-read is how loving incredible Dave Gibbons' art is. It's not particularly showy but goddamn there is some mindblowingly solid visual storytelling going on in that 9-panel grid.

Not to take anything away from Gibbons', he's a legend and his art in Watchmen is a masterwork, but a lot of the credit for the visual storytelling has to be shared with Moore. The scripts were detailed on how Moore wanted the art to be outlined. That said, the idea to frame the comic in 9 panels is Gibbons', and that is such a huge part of why the visual storytelling is so strong.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Isn't Dan Dreiberg in prison? And even if he could save him, why would he? And how could he? And who's satellite would that be anyways? Who would want to be looking for him to begin with? And even know where to look?

Favorite episode so far. So much happened, really driving up the suspense.

American Hero Story is supposed to be a lie, right? But I believe the original comic did say that he was gay.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
Seen on Twitter: Dr. Manhattan is walking around on Earth incognegro

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I really, really loved this episode. I figured that it would focus on the Jon/Angela backstory and not move forward beyond that, but I feared how they would do it. I was afraid it'd be a more simple affair, linear in time. Having the episode bounce around erratically, like Manhattan experiencing time, was the right way to go and I think they pulled it off perfectly. They really nailed his voice; this completely felt like the character I read about in the comics.

DuhSal posted:

I thought the episode was ok/fine. not great a little too exposition heavy but it had some decent moments. I didn't buy their relationship for a chunk of that time but by the end of the ep I thought it was fairly believable.

I want to see laurie and jon interact thou.

They show us Jon's "moment" when he falls in love with Angela, but we never see her moment. We see her initial doubt, and then we see when she's already in.

I wouldn't expect much with Jon and Laurie, at least as far as Jon is concerned. In the comic, I never thought that Jon had any kind of feelings for her. He was attempting to find humanity, and he didn't find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
^-- edit: no homo but this be true

It's interesting how this story is contrasting with the other Watchmen "sequel", Doomsday Clock. There, Manhattan goes to the DC Universe, but he can only see his "future" up until the point where he and Superman fight. Then, everything goes black (much like it is described today). This frustrates him, and is essentially what drives him and the story up to the point of the fight itself. It seems that the two possible outcomes are that Superman kills him, or... reality ends?