Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

riseofmydick posted:

Could that be a passing slight at the Watchmen movie as not being good, but putting on a good show?

Lindelof says he has a lot of respect for what Snyder did with that movie, and it bothers him that people interpret things in the show as insults against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Niwrad posted:

She could have just killed the couple off and taken what she wanted. I think giving the baby and money was a nice gesture for them selling their land. I still don't see anything she did in the show that would make her evil.

Murdering Dr. Manhattan seems pretty evil imo. You can make a greater good argument for it if you think she really had altruistic motivations to do good in the world with the power while he was busy trying to pretend he didn't have it, but she still murdered a guy to take what he had. If Veidt was evil for what he did despite it being for the greater good, so is she.

Mameluke posted:

It'll be hard not to recommend this show but the last two episodes make a hell of an argument

I feel the same way. I was raving about the show up until then, and now my recommendations are a bit more conditional. Personally, I think most of the best parts of the show didn't need to be in a Watchmen sequel at all, and it's too bad they realistically needed a comic book license to get the kind of story they wanted to tell made in a way that would attract more than a tiny niche audience.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

"The daughter of a Vietnamese refugee killing the symbol of imperialism that ran roughshod over her country is an evil act", I say about the show where generational trauma is a theme

That's fair. I think that motivation was a bit undercooked on the show itself, but it's plausible. I think the farm scene really just presented her in a villainous light (joking about murdering the kid if the parents didn't take their one chance to buy him was pretty rough), so it's hard to look past that and see her as an altruistic figure.

Alhazred posted:

The movie version looks like a playstation npc while the tv version looks like an actual physical being:

The tv version looks exactly like a dude wearing blue makeup and a bald cap, and it doesn't work at all. I don't think the movie version is perfect either, but I do think presenting him as larger than life was the right approach.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 21, 2019

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Dr. Manhattan shouldn't look like Tobias Funke just blued himself imo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

duck trucker posted:

Dr Manhattan is fictional

:monocle:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even Ozy said he was going insane on Europa, so that wasn't his normal.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I assumed the tape didn't get passed around until Veidt's disappearance, but I don't remember if the show said when Congress got it to confirm that one way or the other.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I can't stop thinking about "What if Hooded Justice was black, and one of the central themes of Watchmen, about superheroes being fascist toxic masculinity incarnate, was recontextualized to be about the cultural appropriation of extralegal justice in a system that was, and still is today, fundamentally racist?" and how that's a million-dollar idea right there if ever there was one. The idea that you could come up with solid gold like that, and think "but we also need to know what Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias are up to" is loving incomprehensible to me.

The thing is that the show clearly wouldn't have been made without the link to Watchmen, and just existing in the universe probably wasn't going to be enough to convince to execs to tell the story they wanted to tell. Alternately, Lindelof really couldn't think of any way to put a happy ending on a story about racial injustice in America without granting a black woman divine power, and didn't want the show to be a total bummer. :shrug: Regardless, I really wish Dr. Manhattan had stayed in the background, because I think referring to him as a mysterious presence was way more interesting than actually seeing what we saw of him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I honestly don't think it was the exec's call. And I also don't think Lindelof felt it was 100% necessary to have a happy ending to a sequel to Watchmen. I think ultimately he's a fanboy who, in his own way, deferred to the original comic as sacred, without being willing to really, truly examine its shortcomings as a commentary on 1986 America. Alan Moore is, after all, a white man, and he's not perfect, and as thematically rich as Watchmen is, it all but entirely ignores the concept of racial injustice. Lindelof started out with an idea that was truly subversive of the original work, an idea that essentially called out Alan Moore for crafting a story about systems of authority and accountability while utterly failing to address racism. But, after showing their hand in what is considered by most professional critics to be one of the best hours of television this decade, they retreated to the realm of "BUT WE GOTTA HAVE DR. MANHATTAN. IT'S NOT WATCHMEN WITHOUT DR. MANHATTAN."

I don't think he felt like he needed to find a happy ending to a story about Watchmen, I think he felt like he needed to find a happy ending to a story about racial injustice. He's expressed a lot of discomfort about being the one who created that show in the first place, and also a lot of pessimism about the plausibility of defeating white supremacy in the real world, so he just gave someone god powers so she could fight it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DaveKap posted:

I've missed pages and pages of this thread but I just realized the perfect video game comparison we could make for the Watchmen show that would make total sense to people who have read about, played, and understand the controversy surrounding... Far Cry 4.

Watchmen is Far Cry 4.

Both pieces of media seemed like they were going to be woke and smartly take down a portion of the American population but instead both pieces of media ended up being dumbly entertaining without any depth to its moral standards.

But in the end they were both good.

This is super unfair to Watchmen. It did have something to say, and said it well, it just went on to do a bunch of stupid poo poo after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

She wants him to acknowledge that she's better than him.