Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The weakest point of the comic was definitely the lack of setup/integration of the psychic stuff. It really did feel like Moore created a world where Dr. Manhattan was meant to be the sole super-powered being, yet it's revealed later on (and very minorly seeded earlier) that a decent percentage of the population is psychic also? It's a testament to the strength of the surrounding material that you never feel the need to question it.

I have no issue with the film's ending because of that. It does the job it needs to do for the story that the film is telling. The movie has far more dire problems than that, despite ending up being a pretty alright flick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sequel to the comic.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

I also thought the Russian vigilante was interesting. It seems strange that a guy who openly expresses support for communism (the dude is wearing red and yellow for chrissakes) would allowed to be part of the vigilante group in god-fearing Oklahoma. Maybe the Soviets have a superhero exchange program?

He's not a vigilante, he's a police detective—we've yet to see any masked folks who aren't. All cops wear masks, police detectives get to have custom costumes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

How the gently caress is anyone getting "liberal" out of any of this? The state is very clearly insanely authoritarian.

Absolutely, but I can see where it came from—in The Seventh Cavalry's video they said they were anti-liberal, so I can see viewers just running with the fact that their opposition are liberals. But that's some pretty lazy viewing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

We going to find out the chief was one of the 7th Cav ?

That's what it felt like to me for a while, but after the farm raid it doesn't seem likely.

During the traffic stop at the beginning, who was the person in charge of releasing the gun? I assumed the reluctance on the part of the officer to talk to that person was because they were a suspected Seventh Cavalry member, but in retrospect it might've been Panda or someone like him who was anti-lethal force.

But I feel like we're definitely going to get some sort of Cavalry mole in the force regardless.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Le Saboteur posted:

The story definitely seemed to hint at some sketchiness about the chief that will probably get expanded on in coming episodes.

I mean, he's a cop.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rocksicles posted:

I thought panda was a black guy under that stupid head.

Yeah, I was thinking that it was either Panda or a Seventh Cavalry mole, not that Panda was one.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

The dispatcher says "I'm putting you through to Panda" and then Panda says "hello this is Panda" which is how the show subtly suggests to you that the officer's talking to Panda

Hey man some of us were really high when we watched it okay :mad:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty sure that's the way it's going, yeah. My guess is that the old man (/little boy/probably Hooded Justice) is going to pull Sister Night away from the fascist police force and into vigilantism, opposing both sides as everything turns to chaos. Then Veidt's weird robots (I'm thinking it's actually clones since he was into genetic engineering in the original) will do, uh, something.

Important to note that in Tulsa, the police were actively on the side of the massacre, having secretly plotted it beforehand. So I severely doubt the show would try to make the cops the goodguys here.

Also, really hoping that they don't just ignore the "sensitives" in this show. That'd be a real shame.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Season trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt8f1OBoOUE

Remain vigilant and don't watch it, friends.

i'm weak so I did

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I doubt the boy/old man is meant to be Hooded Justice.

Hooded Justice was a Nazi, for one.

But mainly, he's dead. In Watchmen it's very unsubtly hinted that Comedian killed him, and he was the strongman mentioned. In Before Watchmen (if they use any of that) it's confirmed he's dead although Nite Owl did it mistakenly. Comedian still killed the strongman though.

All very true. I've actually been going back through some of the supplemental material from the comic that I used to skip when I was a teenager like Under the Hood, and I wish the Minutemen spinoff had been able to do more with those characters, because all their backstories had so much potential.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 21, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

massive spider posted:

Also while I love the Reznor and Ross score I felt like the editor was a bit too in love with it and mixed it super high, and the loud clock ticking felt a bit on the nose too.

Same. I felt like it was pretty heavy-handed throughout, despite being really good. The ticking was a bit much, and it was about 50% too prominent during the raid. I was hoping for something a bit more like the Dunkirk score when it came to the clock sounds.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

It's retconning the actual art of the comic and so there's no simple in universe cover.

But it's fine.

This but opposite

Obviously.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I've read the book and seen the movie and I still mostly have no idea what the gently caress. I feel like this show is specifically for people who are dangerously obsessed with the source material.

My guess is that you understand as much as most folks in this thread do. There's no secret you're missing—this narrative is a mystery to most of us.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone wants to dive into the show's lore, there's a companion website, breakdown on BMD here.

e: According to that site, it sounds like people became tech-phobic in response to Dr. Manhattan's presence.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 21, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
General consensus is that the Darwyn Cooke Minutemen comic is fun and solid if unnecessary, and that the others are all varying degrees of disappointing.

The Doomsday Clock stuff is pretty well done from what I've seen of it (rather, watched YouTube videos about it) but it's a Justice League story, not a Watchmen story. If you like standard superhero fare, it'll be up your alley. If you're expecting something with the sensibilities of Watchmen, you're not going to find what you're hoping for.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 21, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Steve2911 posted:

The official description on Sky is that the show is set in a world where superheroes are outlawed.

Which based on the first episode seems... Inaccurate?

"Superhero" in this context means crime-fighting vigilante. There are, thus far, none in this show. The people we see wearing masks are either cops (yellow masks), police detectives (individual costumes), or domestic terrorists (Seventh Cavalry). But that's a bad description for the show because it equally applies to the comic, where all the superheroes are either outlaws or similarly government-sanctioned agents.

cptn_dr posted:

Reading the supplementary material and it refers to persistent techno-phobia. I've heard some people say that it's because of Doctor Manhattan, but I'd say it's equally likely to be because of the "accident" where scientists summoned vagina cthulhu into downtown New York as well as the old Manhattan Cancer scare.

The general public doesn't think scientists summoned it, though. It's only conspiracy theorists who believe that Veidt created the squid—the rest of the world believes that it was a trans-dimensional attack just as Veidt planned.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Oct 22, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Even Zack Snyder understood that part...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

What in god's name does that mean

penus

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mercrom posted:

What kind of TV shows do this to people's brains.

Lost.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You know, thinking about all this Veidt/Manhattan/castle stuff... I think it's way simpler than all that. Viedt wants to become Dr. Manhattan.

It's the next logical move for The Smartest Man on Earth. If Dr. Manhattan is going to go off an create his own human life, Veidt will, too. If Dr. Manhattan builds a castle on Mars, Veidt will build the same castle here on Earth to do the same work. He's aping his idol.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Honestly, the motion comic is pretty great. Still not preferable to reading the comic, but a decent enough imitation—certainly better than watching the Snyder movie to try to sidestep the original. The biggest flaw is that they had the same guy do all the voices. If they had thrown in a few more voice actors, or even just one additional one to play the women, it would significantly improve it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mercrom posted:

I never watched it. It sounds incredibly stupid and if Lindelof was involved that does not bode well for this show.

Lost is terrific. But it also drove people insane and played guessing games with its audience.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

I fuckin love Lost and Prometheus and laugh at all the haters

:same:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
First six are out to reviewers, and I know we've got a couple of those here. Haven't read anything about leaks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQBmALfSFEU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If anyone hasn't read the Sam Hamm draft of Watchmen from the 90s, I've revisited it this week for the first time since I was a teenager and it's a wild ride. The intro is terrorists raiding the statue of liberty, the SWAT team showing up, and then...

And the ending is the definition of missing the point. From Karnak, Dr. Manhattan goes back in time, stops the lab accident, and erases himself from history. Which sends all of our heroes...

And then...

And this was my first exposure to Watchmen. I downloaded a torrent when I was 16 and it had the screenplay and comic and annotations in it. I decided to read the screenplay first. Somehow, I liked it enough to read the comic.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 24, 2019

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
IIRC, John Connor dies, and because nobody's seen him in so long due to him being in hiding, the experimental Terminator swaps places with him and leads the resistance against the machines. So the events of every previous Terminator film would be recontextualized. Also maybe they swapped faces or hearts or something? Either way, a lot more interesting than what we got. Though I think that Bale being cast as Connor and wanting to amp up the prominence of his part had as much to do with the radical changes as the fans throwing a fit online did.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My only significant concern so far is with Veidt's characterization. I figure there will be more to it, but he seems like a cartoon version of the character from the book—a little too goofy, a little too doddering, a little too overtly psychotic. Doing little plays just for himself seems a little too much to me. Am I alone in that?

Also, burning the clone in the chamber felt a whole lot like The Prestige to me and that is good.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd agree with that if the clone in the box were disintegrated, but that did not look like an intrinsic field generator to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

10 Beers posted:

I always felt like Ozymandias had some sort of low grade powers. Being able to dodge and then deflect a bullet with post and then catching a bullet in his hand after taking on both Rorschach and Nite Owl with little effort on his part.

I've never bought this. It's just that he encapsulates the comic-book Batman concept of a human being at their absolute peak physical and cognitive abilities.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The crux of Veidt's plan was that the cloned brain of the psychic would reach out to other "sensitives" and place visions into their minds. So yeah, there's a lot of people with some degree of psychic ability in this world. To what degree they're telepathic or telekinetic, we don't know. It's the weakest point of the comic, IMO, that this came out of nowhere and went so untouched-upon.

I'm guessing at some point we'll find out that a character we know is a sensitive. My money's on Angela's son. Him playing with the floating castle felt like foreshadowing of something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Angela... bad?? :monocle:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Heard someone mention a theory I quite liked, that Veidt may be suffering from dementia. It would line up with his characterization seeming a bit off and his behavior seeming rather erratic, even for a guy with a god-complex who has been living with a massive amount of crushing guilt. What happens when the smartest man on Earth is no longer in control of his mental faculties? If he is trying to recreate the Osterman accident, then maybe it's not just to have his powers but to reverse his own mental condition?

A bit farfetched, but I'd be really interested to see where it goes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

RFX posted:

There's something in episode 2 that I saw apparently incorrectly according to random online recaps:

When Topher is playing with the castle toy, I took the floating as evidence that he is a psychic, which works with Sister Night's reaction to when Will says he's a psychic. But everyone else seems to think the toy itself was just some floating toy.

Am I totally off base here? Or did others think the same?

I wondered which it was during the episode. My thinking is that it's meant to be foreshadowing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I mean, you could easily restart such an effort and get a lot of clicks on a site if you were so inclined.

I feel like those text pages must exists with the right searches, at least on archive.org. Best I can find at the moment: http://www.readingwatchmen.com/2012/01/chapter-i-complete-annotations.html

Its called The Annotated Watchmen. It was included in the Watchmen torrent I and probably everyone else downloaded when I was 15, alongside the Sam Hamm script draft.

I looked it up when I reread recently too 😁

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gangringo posted:

The whole Manor sequence could be an abstraction of his attempts to become a Dr. Manhattan-like Superman.

This I like. The world we're seeing being Veidt's out-of-time fantasy where he's attempting to put himself back together like Manhattan did would be rad as hell.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Typical biopic. 1/4 stars for sure.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The dude is writing a play for himself to watch and reinforce his beliefs. He's not making a documentary.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I, too, love that idea. But it also reminds me a lot of the insane, way-off-base theories that people came up with for Lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

beanieson posted:

How the gently caress does that happen

Forums're actin' awful screwy lately.