Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I remember in Dark Souls meeting Capra Demon for the first time and then deciding to go somewhere else. I returned later with Wolf Ring, Havel's Ring and Elite Knight Armor set. Capra Demon became a complete joke then. I wonder if taking another path works just as well in this game. Regardless, being able to choose order of things makes the semi soul-like games much more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

GodFish posted:

As far as I can tell the route of least resistance for a new player is basically pingponging back and forth between the main route and Hirata in an entirely obtuse order that you'd have no way to knowing someone would be a massive roadblock until you'd made it a bit the other way.

I agree at the start, and it's a bit hosed up that they don't signpost that better. Even a load screen hint to the tune of "if you're finding an enemy too difficult try exploring other paths open to you first".

But also after you get past Gyoubu and the Bull imo the difficulty evens out a bit so it's less that you find the path of least resistance and more that you just pick which of the bosses and game paths you want to take on with less health/damage/skills/gourd chugs. It's part of the hosed up difficulty curve in this game, the game starts super difficult and then the critical paths you take pre-fountainhead palace get easier and easier because you're better at the game and also have way more HP and heals, and then the difficulty jumps right back up again after fountainhead.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Let's take out two major early game hurdles in one video.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
The game gives you a tutorial dialogue box before starting the Lady Butterfly fight that specifically mentions side-step dodging her attacks rather than deflecting them. It may come down to preference but I found her attacks were pretty easy to dodge.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I finally managed to beat her today after a few months of trying. :toot:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Lady Butterfly is amazing, such a cool boss. "Mada mada koinu yo" :negative:

I see they added a line to the Dragonrot description saying that it doesn't trigger from resurrections, only dying for really reals; that was a big point of confusion for me (and for tons of other people) when this came out.

That loving dive grab the ogre does is disgusting. It has a hitbox the size of Montana, it's the first grab attack in the game so you don't know how to deal with it yet, and he'll gleefully hurl you right off the nearby cliff with it. A solid chunk of this game's reputation for difficulty comes from people running face-first into that goddamn ogre and getting taken the gently caress apart.

megane fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 9, 2019

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The mechanical effect of dragonrot is that it decreases the chance of unseen aid for each rot essence you have.

I think, since the old maid died, you lost her rot essence and recovered some unseen aid chance. There’s a couple of other situations where story stuff can cause this to happen. Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait for another NPC to get dragonrot to find the cure now.

I don’t think there’s an in-universe reason why Emma can’t get dragonrot. She just can’t do her plot-related things if she’s incapacitated.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

megane posted:

Lady Butterfly is amazing, such a cool boss. "Mada mada koinu yo" :negative:

I see they added a line to the Dragonrot description saying that it doesn't trigger from resurrections, only dying for really reals; that was a big point of confusion for me (and for tons of other people) when this came out.

That loving dive grab the ogre does is disgusting. It has a hitbox the size of Montana, it's the first grab attack in the game so you don't know how to deal with it yet, and he'll gleefully hurl you right off the nearby cliff with it. A solid chunk of this game's reputation for difficulty comes from people running face-first into that goddamn ogre and getting taken the gently caress apart.

He actually turns into a grapple point when does the grab-throws, so there's a way around that. Of course, his grabs also do enough damage to just flat loving kill you if you're not at full health, so six of one...

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sum Gai posted:

He actually turns into a grapple point when does the grab-throws,

woah hang on what

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat, it's a shame that Wolf has like zero friends. Not a single person you talked to was like 'Oh god, Wolf, what happened, you're missing an arm!?' And follow-up "And it looks like you've got a bone arm now???'

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Apparently Lady Butterfly is actually named Ghost Butterfly in the Japanese version and Miyazaki personally requested the designers to add an old ninja woman in the game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
:eng101: So our listed attack power starts at “1” and each battle memory simply adds one point to this, as does trading five skill points at a time once you assemble the dragon mask discussed in an earlier video.

But we didn’t double our attack just now. According to the wiki, we start doing 80 points of damage, and each point adds 20 points to that total. But once we reach 15 attack power, which takes us into our second play through unless we grind points, each attack point will give us less damage. And as you raise your attack power, there will be other thresholds where battle memories give less of a bonus.

Vitality is simpler. You start with 320, and each necklace increases it by 80. You can only get each prayer bead once. They’re replaced with other items on subsequent play throughs. Get all 40 of them, and that’s it.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
"Mada" just means "still". It's "koinu" that means "puppy".

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

WaltherFeng posted:

Apparently Lady Butterfly is actually named Ghost Butterfly in the Japanese version and Miyazaki personally requested the designers to add an old ninja woman in the game.

Her boss title is Phantom Butterfly (phantom as in an illusion not as in a ghost) but she's still referred to as Lady Butterfly otherwise.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Lady Butterfly is a super cool boss and effectively this game's version of Gascoigne - if you haven't internalized the game's systems, (Sekiro - keep on the aggression, always be deflecting; Bloodborne - dodge forward, learn parry timings) you're not gonna get very far.

She's also: stupid fun on repeat playthroughs

Weirdly enough, she's entirely optional, and the actual first "boss" doesn't really teach anything of the sort!

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Crane Fist posted:

woah hang on what

Some bosses do this after a few of their attacks. We'll be seeing a boss soon enough where this is important! You can even buy a skill that lets you do a follow-up attack.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
So, after watching the LP I realized that I would have a miserable time playing, but I'm having a good time watching.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Miz Kriss posted:

So, after watching the LP I realized that I would have a miserable time playing, but I'm having a good time watching.
Yeah this is me with any Soulsborn game. I don't have the reflexes or the patience to play them but I at least like to watch an LP of it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

That snek can fekin wrek

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seems like everything in the Ashina skill tree is a must-have. More posture damage dealt and less posture damage taken is a no brainer and the tree itself is relatively small

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
I believe this is what you had in mind regarding The School of Ashina of the East:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Brunom1 posted:

I believe this is what you had in mind regarding The School of Ashina of the East:

Were you thinking of the movie Equilibrium? The whole core of that movie is "gunkata" or firearms martial arts.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
you know, I'll happily take slightly twitchy glancing around over anyone so averse to moving the camera that they come across as blind and deaf.

JigglyJacob posted:

oh I thought he was literally a frog, like an anthro frog guy
you just want to see Slippy stabbed don't you?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
When Sekiro entered the wedding palanquin he became legally married. That makes snek the official wifu of the game.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Snekiro is the best character in this game. When you first get there and don't have the safe path memorized it's suspenseful as hell -- no other enemies, no music, just the sound of it hissing and slithering around, and it's hard to tell the difference between the scripted moments of it thrashing and the times when you gently caress up and it's lashing out to eat you.

I didn't notice it first time through, but Gyoubu's horse is named Onikage (demon shadow) while the poor mourning soldier's horse was named Kokage (little shadow). He named his horse after his boss's horse. :smith:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The first miniboss we fought in the tutorial was Leader Shigenori Yamauchi. In this video we fought Tenzen Yamauchi. A high-ranking vassal family of the Ashina perhaps?

The headless is Some Bullshit to put that early in the game, when you can only find two divine confetti and none of the item that reduces terror buildup. You need to deflect perfectly, not block, to prevent it.

The first time I went into that cave, my instincts told me to just run past it, find whatever else was in the cave, and leave. When I came back later to actually try fighting it, it did a certain special attack before I even finished the divine confetti animation and killed me instantly. It disappears, reappears behind you a couple seconds later, and if you don't turn around in time, it does... this :gonk:

Japanese mythology fact: That thing that got yanked in that video is the shirikodama, a mythical organ also sought by Kappa.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Poor Kokage, thought of gunpowder and died.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

So I'm watching the lady butterfly fight and your constant pressing of parry/block is actually probably slightly detrimental, it makes it harder to parry if you're constantly pressing the button. Also Lady Butterfly, and most bosses, can be kept into a rough loop if you keep attacking her until she parries you (signified by the orange sparks when you hit) and then reacting to her response.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
So Terror is the new Frenzy, I see.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Poor Wolf, thought of Headless and died.

On a related note, with sad horse man, is he a hint to use Firecrackers on Gyoubu? Can you knock him off the horse this way and fight him on the ground or would it just stun his horse for some free hits?

azren
Feb 14, 2011

:stare:

That is one huge gently caress off snake! Holy poo poo!

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Bellmaker posted:

Poor Wolf, thought of Headless and died.

On a related note, with sad horse man, is he a hint to use Firecrackers on Gyoubu? Can you knock him off the horse this way and fight him on the ground or would it just stun his horse for some free hits?

In his first phase using fireworks will cause Onikage to rear up for a couple hits and then he'll ride off. In the second phase he still rears up, but Gyoubu has caught on and will use the rear to punish you with his spear.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

It'll be sort of a theme in this game that bosses have "weaknesses" which, while certainly effective, are only marginally better than just being good at the normal swordfight mechanics, to the point where you have to ask yourself if breaking out of your rhythm to use the weakness is even worth it.

What I often did was to use the weakness to knock them out of specific attacks -- as with knocking Lady Butterfly out of her giant leaping grab attack with shurikens -- and otherwise not worry about it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Raposa posted:

In his first phase using fireworks will cause Onikage to rear up for a couple hits and then he'll ride off. In the second phase he still rears up, but Gyoubu has caught on and will use the rear to punish you with his spear.

Although his punish isn't very effective and you can counter-punish with a parry as usual.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

megane posted:

It'll be sort of a theme in this game that bosses have "weaknesses" which, while certainly effective, are only marginally better than just being good at the normal swordfight mechanics, to the point where you have to ask yourself if breaking out of your rhythm to use the weakness is even worth it.

What I often did was to use the weakness to knock them out of specific attacks -- as with knocking Lady Butterfly out of her giant leaping grab attack with shurikens -- and otherwise not worry about it.

It kind of varies, but a lot of the weaknesses are absolutely worth exploiting, including Oniwa's- I made it here the first time without finding the firecracker merchant, and it was a lot harder than all my subsequent attempts.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm terrible at this game and took like 30 attempts to kill Lady Butterfly, but I also was able to beat Oniwa the first time. I guess because he doesn't pressure the player nearly as much and gives a lot of room for the player to recover when he rides away makes it easier to get through?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

So Terror is the new Frenzy, I see.

Wait, I thought it was Curse that killed you if it got too high? Or was that petrify?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Petrify is just what DS2 calls the thing that's called Curse in DS1 and DS3, basically. Frenzy is from Bloodborne and is similar (it doesn't insta-kill you, but it does a huge chunk of damage).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

megane posted:

Petrify is just what DS2 calls the thing that's called Curse in DS1 and DS3, basically. Frenzy is from Bloodborne and is similar (it doesn't insta-kill you, but it does a huge chunk of damage).

That's what it was, I didn't remember Frenzy being an instant kill at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

That's what it was, I didn't remember Frenzy being an instant kill at all.

I guess Curse from DS1 is what I should have compared it to.

That being said, Frenzy is functionally instant death if you're below 90% health, which... I mean, odds are pretty fuckin' good.