Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
There was a Mac gaming one too but the name escapes me. gameranger, maybe?

Edit: yes. And it apparently still exists?? :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Dropped on Steam and other platforms, Llamasoft, a retro game collection by Jeff Minter aka stinky ox formerly of this parish. Interesting historically but not such good value considering that his own modern games are now deeply discounted.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Because of this thread I checked out the Steam sale and grabbed Jagged Alliance 3 and Diablo 4. THANKS. :argh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Dramicus posted:

Lets go back even further to Microsoft's "The Zone" or the other one I forget what it was called, maybe "Heat" or whatever. I remember playing Jedi knight 1 that way, you had to join games through your web browser.

The Something Awful Forums -> Video Games -> Fresh Releases - THE FAT BOYS HAVE ARRIVED.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Dramicus posted:

Lets go back even further to Microsoft's "The Zone" or the other one I forget what it was called, maybe "Heat" or whatever. I remember playing Jedi knight 1 that way, you had to join games through your web browser.

Goddamn Zone! So many MechCommander & Xwing vs Tie Fighter matches. Empire rules, Clans droolz

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

hyphz posted:

Dropped on Steam and other platforms, Llamasoft, a retro game collection by Jeff Minter aka stinky ox formerly of this parish. Interesting historically but not such good value considering that his own modern games are now deeply discounted.

It comes with a documentary about the history of Llamasoft, doesn't it? That would up the value a bit.

(Also: Jeff Minter was a goon?)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

I mean come on

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Dramicus posted:

gently caress, extremely lost memory uncovered.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

Jedit posted:

It comes with a documentary about the history of Llamasoft, doesn't it? That would up the value a bit.

It does come with some interesting textual material and some clips from a documentary. But the documentary itself, Heart of Neon, is its own thing. If you’re a Minter fan it’s worth it but they seemed to be trying to sell it as an introduction to his games and IMHO it doesn’t do it that well when you could try Polybius or Moose Life for $5.

And, yes, Minter was a goon before migrating to his own forum (which I think is still there)

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Dramicus posted:

God drat I miss Asherons call

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

RisqueBarber posted:

God drat I miss Asherons call
AC was the first MLM someone ever tried to sell me.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Not sure if this was posted already, but Svarog’s Dream is outon Steam now. It is a wild fever dream of a game that probably shouldn’t exist but it is apparently my jam because I have finally stopped mainlining Balatro in order to play this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2004640/Svarogs_Dream/

It’s a slow paced ARPG, with unique skills and character builds. The graphics are between “retro” and “terrible”. But because it’s slower-paced, and things hit VERY hard, you have to do some clever movement or downtime management.

What elevates this thing is that they made a responsive world. Events pop up frequently as you adventure. Werewolf attack in the forest at night (yes, there are day / night cycles and weather- both of which have game impact), or slavers attacking a town. Some of these are random; others are caused by a decision you made an hour ago. You have freedom to steal from NPCs, piss off entire factions, and side with anyone you like. There is a dedicated “pet” button that you can use as a bear chews on you for a chance to tame it. You start out dead and eventually kill god (or do you?).

Finally, this weird pile of insanity is a kind of roguelite. Death is meant to happen. They warn you in the opening menu to please play on Ironman mode. You should.

It looks awful but I am enjoying it and i didn’t know I needed this in my life.

Bonus for me is that it doesn’t appear to be a crazy-long game or an infinite ARPG in spite of the style.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Not sure if this was posted already, but Svarog’s Dream is outon Steam now. It is a wild fever dream of a game that probably shouldn’t exist but it is apparently my jam because I have finally stopped mainlining Balatro in order to play this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2004640/Svarogs_Dream/

It’s a slow paced ARPG, with unique skills and character builds. The graphics are between “retro” and “terrible”. But because it’s slower-paced, and things hit VERY hard, you have to do some clever movement or downtime management.

What elevates this thing is that they made a responsive world. Events pop up frequently as you adventure. Werewolf attack in the forest at night (yes, there are day / night cycles and weather- both of which have game impact), or slavers attacking a town. Some of these are random; others are caused by a decision you made an hour ago. You have freedom to steal from NPCs, piss off entire factions, and side with anyone you like. There is a dedicated “pet” button that you can use as a bear chews on you for a chance to tame it. You start out dead and eventually kill god (or do you?).

Finally, this weird pile of insanity is a kind of roguelite. Death is meant to happen. They warn you in the opening menu to please play on Ironman mode. You should.

It looks awful but I am enjoying it and i didn’t know I needed this in my life.

Bonus for me is that it doesn’t appear to be a crazy-long game or an infinite ARPG in spite of the style.

This seems the right kind of bonkers, and I like your username, so it's going on the wishlist

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Not sure if this was posted already, but Svarog’s Dream is outon Steam now.

it was released in December, I posted it back then and played a bit too, interesting indeed. The dev also put a *lot* of updates out since then hope I will have some time to get into it again. It's the right kind of weird.

Outcast A New Beginning came out yesterday. It's pretty solid open world exploration so far, looks pretty and traversal is nice. Has a bit cringy story/dialogue and misses a bit of the charm of the original. Sitting at 80% right now which feels about right.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Dramicus posted:

Playing Jedi Knight and Age of Empires 1 on the Zone was the first time I ever played games online. Little kid me thought it was incredible.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

haldolium posted:

Outcast A New Beginning came out yesterday. It's pretty solid open world exploration so far, looks pretty and traversal is nice. Has a bit cringy story/dialogue and misses a bit of the charm of the original. Sitting at 80% right now which feels about right.

This kind of strange AA game is right up my alley, I've been enjoying it. Campy, silly, combat isn't great, and it's not very well optimized, but drat it's actually pretty fun. The movement is superb, the world crafting is fabulous (even if it reminiscent of corny old star trek episodes), the weapon modification system is cool, and the quests and characters are so goofy and delightful. Most of them, anyways.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Play posted:

reminiscent of corny old star trek episodes

SOLD

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Play posted:

This kind of strange AA game is right up my alley, I've been enjoying it. Campy, silly, combat isn't great, and it's not very well optimized, but drat it's actually pretty fun. The movement is superb, the world crafting is fabulous (even if it reminiscent of corny old star trek episodes), the weapon modification system is cool, and the quests and characters are so goofy and delightful. Most of them, anyways.

Anthem hovered so this game could soar

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1677110/Lightyear_Frontier/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257008632/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1710875074

quote:

Lightyear Frontier is a peaceful open-world farming adventure on a planet at the far edge of the galaxy. Climb into your versatile mech and start your new home on a distant planet with up to 3 friends as you farm alien crops, build your own homestead, and explore the untamed wilderness of the world.
Early Access. 81% positive out of 132.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1332950/KinnikuNeko_SUPER_MUSCLE_CAT/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256987503/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1702055870

quote:

A cat with the body of a bodybuilder fights against aliens in this 2D platformer with anime aesthetics.
100% positive out of 27.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1310410/Alone_in_the_Dark/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257009791/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1710945746

quote:

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 90’s cult classic horror game.
11 positive, 2 negative reviews so far.

Play fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 20, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

That looks neat. I'll be very happy if its good.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Bit of a curveball here, but Alpha Protocol is back on GOG after being delisted from stores years ago due to music licensing issues.

https://www.gog.com/en/news/alpha_protocol_is_back_drmfree_for_modern_pcs_watch_the_documentary_video_on_the_process_of_its_revival

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/

Not exactly a new release, but it's gotten an iOS and Steam release with the 3.0 update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5UBfPwqp7s

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CainFortea posted:

Not exactly a new release, but it's gotten an iOS and Steam release with the 3.0 update.

Was pretty good on mobile. Don't know if it really gains anything from a Steam desktop release, and I personally wouldn't go above $5 for it, but it's not bad. There's a lot to see, even if the main gameplay is a bit on the shallow end.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I hadn't heard of it before but looking at the store page, Slice & Dice is made by a goon, or at least a former goon

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Slice and Dice is one of the best mobile games around, I'm definitely getting it again assuming it works on steam deck.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MockingQuantum posted:

I hadn't heard of it before but looking at the store page, Slice & Dice is made by a goon, or at least a former goon

Still an active goon!

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

CainFortea posted:

a goon game so good i forcibly made dis trailer for it since they didn't have one lol

it starts fairly simple and immediate but especially with all the 3.0 content the later complexity can get intense

as mentioned excellent on mobile, great for tiny sessions of a turn or battle, and ya can play out a full turn of actions then entirely undo 'em all if ya realize a better play which is just amazing QOL

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It's so fantastic I bought it on steam and another copy to give to a friend on steam, even though I still have it on my phone and mostly play it there.

OtspIII
Sep 22, 2002

Can confirm. I'm at GDC this week and just had a game dev I was taking to bring Slice and Dice up as a game they're obsessed with semi-unprompted.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Everdraed posted:

a goon game so good i forcibly made dis trailer for it since they didn't have one lol

Looks like it's kind of like Fights In Tight Spaces, just dice instead of cards and no slick graphics?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hello Sailor posted:

Looks like it's kind of like Fights In Tight Spaces, just dice instead of cards and no slick graphics?

This is an almost, but not quite, entirely inaccurate description of Slice and Dice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Midnight Scenes: A Safe Place

quote:

Phil's life has crumbled to dust. The four walls of his room have become his safe haven. He yearns for sleep...but terrible nightmares haunt him. Welcome to a new dimension of horror. Welcome to Midnight Scenes.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256954735/movie480_vp9.webm
92% out of 13. 10% launch discount. This is a day one purchase for me based on the previous games in the Midnight Scenes series.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Hello Sailor posted:

No, it's more like the Dark Souls of VN high school dating games.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hello Sailor posted:

It's more accurate, but no less incorrect to say it's D&D meets Yahtzee!

You have a band of 5 RPG archetypes, each of which can level up into a different class as they gain experience. Each person is represented by one D6, where one side is usually a miss, and the remaining 5 are generally attack in some flavor. The dice can be changed so you might get attack x1, attack x2, gain armor, cast heal, use special ability, etc. Some dice may have multiple misses, but every hit is 3x or 5x, so it balances.

You roll the dice and plan your moves. The order you attack in makes a difference as some enemies have immediate counter attacks. Slimes will split into smaller enemies if they get below certain health thresholds for example. I think there are some classes or attacks where you get a +1 on that attack, but only if it is the first action of a round. It might make more sense to attack an enemy and then freeze them vs freezing them and then attacking. But, you can also play out all your choices, see the results, and then decide to make changes before committing to one path of action.

There's a lot there. IIRC there's 25 classes, five for each position. There are a few dozen charms, accessories and other equipment. I will admit to only playing the free mobile version, so there's probably a lot more I never saw.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

There's a lot there. IIRC there's 25 classes, five for each position. There are a few dozen charms, accessories and other equipment. I will admit to only playing the free mobile version, so there's probably a lot more I never saw.

these numbers are way larger now. there are technically infinite heroes now if you play in the procgen modes :v:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Computer too crappy to run Dragons Dogma 2, played Slice and Dice instead, holy poo poo I love this

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Should upgrade your pc so you can play slice and dice on your phone while you sit on the ox cart in dragons dogma 2

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
The modding for Slice and Dice is intriguing, was there an actual thread or wiki?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

4D Golf

quote:

Explore higher dimensions... with golf! Conquer mind-bending challenges, design your own 4D courses, and unlock new worlds and accessories as you golf your way through the 4th dimension and beyond!
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256906426/movie480_vp9.webm
96% out of 90. Bundled with Hyperbolica.

Cureocity

quote:

“People think battles need powerful weapons, but strategy at hand is key."The story follows a rookie adventurer and a new healer in a dungeon quest, with the core gameplay involving hand-picked methods using weapons and items. Fight or purify? Heal or alter? The choice is in your hands.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256978393/movie480_vp9.webm
99% out of 322. Free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

hyphz posted:

The modding for Slice and Dice is intriguing, was there an actual thread or wiki?

People are making some guides on discord. I posted a community spreadsheet of custom modes people made in the dice thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982295&pagenumber=60#post538531411