Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Palpek posted:

Indivisible - a hand drawn action RPG from the creators of Skullgirls

I've powered through most of this in the past few days since I've been down with the plague this week, and it's a pretty strong recommend. Good enough story, and it looks incredible (assuming you're onboard with the art style).

I have two main gripes. The overworld design is your basic simple 2D metroidvania/Celeste/etc design that opens up as you get movement powers. This gets frustrating at times because the platforming isn't quite as tight as it would be if that were the sole focus, so some sections are aggravatingly tougher than they should be. The quest order is also loose enough that you sometimes don't know where to go, and it's unclear if you're supposed to be locked out of an area or if you're not getting the challenge quite right because the controls are a bit imprecise (like doing the same jump a dozen times before it somehow just works). There's also the usual RPG issue where some areas of random mooks are just inexplicably damage sponges, but you can pretty often avoid combat if needed.

Those issues are outweighed by the main game, it's an active combat style that I haven't seen before, and it's really fun once you get the hang of it. After some trouble early on, I've been able to power through pretty consistently, and the fighting (even the bosses) largely hit a good balance of challenging but doable. Definitely worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Palpek posted:

Olimdal - a puzzle game where you're playing as a tiny wizard

Oh that looks awesome, I've always had a thing for tiny isometric puzzly games. Only one review but for :sixbux: it seems like a reasonable risk.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Palpek posted:

Drop by with some impressions if you end up buying it.

I've played about 10 levels and give it a moderate recommend. The gameplay isn't quite what I'd guessed from my quick look: you do maneuver your little wizard around each level to get to the portal, but the catch is that you're always moving various other blocks/furniture with you while you move. Some duplicate your movement, some only move certain directions, some move oppositely to you, etc, with the goal being to shift them around to let you get where you need to go.
For what it is, it's extremely pleasant - looks and sounds nice, and it's pretty relaxing. The big drawback is that it looks to be a lot shorter than I'd guessed, ~30 levels if I'm not mistaken. For a PC game I was guessing it'd be a lot longer, but sure enough it's originally an iphone game you can buy for $3. So I like it and recommend taking a look, but probably wouldn't buy until it hits at least that price point.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

OKAY FINE, WE'LL TRY THEM, GEEZ!

No Longer Home looks interesting, I'll look at it some more and maybe give it a shot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Roth posted:

drat Death Stranding got upstaged

This but unironically

Sadly though after checking it out, it's cute but pretty limited in scope and frustratingly opaque in what you can do. No menu or interface as far as I can tell, and you have to scroll through the standard Unity startup window to even see what commands you have (e.g. bark0, bark1 :3:). Still, it's cute enough to run around as a stretchy blobdog barking your head off and jumping into things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man, I really don't need more games to play right now but that looks awesome, I'll be curious to find out more. At least I can hold off for another day or so since it doesn't have a price yet :sweatdrop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Palpek posted:

Dandy Dungeon - Legend of Brave Yamada - a huge mobile RPG hit released on Steam today, I remember this game being addictive and actually funny

Wow...I'd forgotten about that, but it was pretty fun and funny. But man, almost :20bux:? I dunno what all they updated at that price, it was free IIRC (they apparently killed the app version around a year ago).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This isn't *quite* new, but The Touryst seems like it came out of nowhere with a pretty stealthy Switch release a couple weeks back. I never heard of it til yesterday but it's been getting a lot of good reviews. It's apparently a pretty chill, light quest/exploration game with puzzles and challenges to find and solve. Also the art design is really good, sort of a voxelly Link's Awakening remake, very well done if you dig that style, and it sounds like it's a small enough package that it runs like silk even on the Switch.

I'm really liking what I've seen, but the alleged ~10 hours playtime and :20bux: price point are at the high end of me just jumping in to try it. Anybody else see this/play it?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I realized I had some eshopbux sitting around to bring the price down a bit and picked it up. Aside from a few annoyances in puzzle and boss fight design, it's pretty much as charming and fun as I hoped. Short and light enough that it's not an immediate go-out-and-buy-it but it'd be very worth it on sale for :10bux: or so.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That looks pretty nice, curious to hear how it plays.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

Folks, if you want a simple adventure/puzzle game with a unique gimmick then look no further than Carto. Im digging it even if, fundamentally, its not super complex. Available on Game Pass

I just came checking to see if this was mentioned since I saw it pop up on steam. Any idea how long it is? It's charming and I liked the demo a lot (took 10 or 15 minutes), but :20bux: seems steep for what feels like it'd probably be a short-ish game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Howlongtobeat says it's about six hours on average, seven if you're being completionist about it.

:tipshat:
I always forget there are sites to track that. I'll put it on the wishlist for a sale at that length.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

priznat posted:

Seeing the MicroProse logo is such a nostalgia hit.

:stare:

I might have to pay $14 just out of sheer 90s nostalgia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

haldolium posted:

anyone have some thoughts on Martha Is Dead? It looks comparibly high quality, especially in the flooded genre.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256875329/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1645710749

Literally the only thing I know about it is that Sony censored it for (violence) a scene where you have to graphically slice around her face to remove the skin for whatever reason.

I just decided, nope, this is not a game that I will have any further interest in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Fight! For your kite! posted:

https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/rpg-time-the-legend-of-wright/9p0px95zxbxb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urqZXj7VFrc

Shown at 2019's E3. Exclusive to the Microsoft store and X-box. It's been fantastic for the first few hours. Lots of genres but think of a Super Paper Mario like adventure game.

I hadn't heard of that before but it looks really neat, definitely adding to my list to check out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jarvisi posted:

So far I already refunded it. It starts out like a cool zeldalike but then decides to just randomly kick you in the balls. Not really fun

Huh, I've been seeing a bunch of praise for this and had it on my interest list, that's not good to hear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh, ugh. Yeah, that doesn't sound like my kind of thing even if it looks nice.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Saxophone posted:

I’m just too old for dick-kicking games. Like I wanna play a game, have fun, be moderatelyish challenged and yeah. So many games are going for the Uber hard ‘souls-like’ stuff and I’m over here like ‘but no?

Yeah that's it for me, I don't hate that it exists, it's just sounding like it's very much not for me compared to what I thought from its initial look.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Play posted:

I think it would be better if they had an option to, like, double or triple both instead of making them infinite. Being invulnerable is pretty boring it really gets old fast. And the rest of the game is okay but combat is a huge part of it.

I was just gonna say something like that, I've been very appreciative of games having granular difficulty accessibility options lately. Tuning up defense or damage a bit is way more fun for me than just going god mode.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haystack posted:

It's not recent, but if you're disappointed by Tunic's combat and want to scratch the 2d zelda itch, I recommend Blossom Tales

Added to my wishlist, thanks :tipshat:

And also relevant, it has a sequel listed for this year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Haystack posted:

It's not recent, but if you're disappointed by Tunic's combat and want to scratch the 2d zelda itch, I recommend Blossom Tales

Speaking of, this happens to be $3.74 (75% off) on steam for the next couple weeks :toot:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

Had a few games on my wishlist exit EA/become available today.

I've been looking forward to Teardown for a while: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167630/Teardown/

It has overwhelmingly positive reviews. Fully destructive terrain, physics, emergent gameplay, etc. Has a campaign now.

Ok, I hadn't realized before that I need a game that lets me drive a flaming semi trailer around town, but I can totally see that now

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Also looks neat, wishlisted as well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Never even heard it was coming out until today, but added to the wishlist.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That looks cute enough to add to the wishlist and watch for more reviews.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1814170/Lingo/

Not exactly a 'fresh' release, but also a pretty unknown game. Despite the fact that it looks like it was built in minecraft it's got solid gameplay, playing like a mixture of antichamber, the witness, and a crossword puzzle. As one of the 2 people who have actually gotten the mastery achievement, I'd say it's worth the 5 dollar summer sale price. 4/1

I gave it a shot after seeing it was word-based, but I don't think it's for me. It seems too abstract for me in how it introduces its various rules, and after looking up a starter guide for some of them I don't think I could keep track of everything that well. I also get the impression that I would just rapidly get completely lost as more areas open up.
So, it seems like an interesting idea that I'd recommend looking into, but unfortunately it didn't hook me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lol, I've been itching for more new platformers lately, but that's....not exactly what I pictured. I'll give it a look though :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ABOUT THIS GAME posted:

Note:
Crashes are intentional.

Ok buddy

Just kidding, I'm always interested in new point & click games. Wishlisted and you know I'm gonna try turning off those lights as soon as I get it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'll keep an eye on that one, I'm still in the mood for a crashy racing game after being burned by Wreckfest's absurdly horrible performance.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Neat. Wishlisted based on the premise, looks nice and pixely too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

This isn't actually a new release but generally beloved simple puzzler Sizeable got its final update this week. Wishlist it and consider it when it goes on sale if you're looking for a pretty relaxing way to spend about 3 hours.

Will do, looks neat and chill.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I played the first two and they're good stupid fun. Wishlisting for future sales though, since I'm not sure it'll be :10bux: worth of good stupid fun.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Play posted:

There's only one original McPixel. For some reason they skipped 2, probably as a joke

Oh lol, I remembered playing the first one but added the second one in too when I read too quickly that the joke "trilogy" bundle had the one item I hadn't purchased yet. They got me, drat my bad memory :negative:

(My opinion hasn't changed from just the first game, though)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

quote:

Ronin Prime (Common): 2175 Total Supply: $300*
Ronin Prime (Uncommon): 1305 Total Supply: $800*
Ronin Prime (Rare): 696 Total Supply: $2000*
Ronin Prime (Epic): 348 Total Supply: $5000*
Ronin (Legendary): 104 Total Supply: $22,000*
Ronin (Ancient): 52 Total Supply: $45,000*

OK

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Windows 95?! poo poo, I'm stuck all the way back with 10 for now :sigh:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

External Organs posted:

Oh wow, it's tickling the long dormant Mario Galaxy parts of my brain

Same, gotta wishlist it. Loved that Galaxy design idea and I always want more.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

This one's caught my interest. Folks in the horror games thread have been largely positive on the gameplay, the main gripe being a potentially fairly short playthrough time for the price. I'm definitely wishlisting to keep an eye on it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That looks solid, and I love the throwback to the IN YOUR FACE ad era in the preview. Not a bad price either, definitely wishlisting.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I got this one back on PS5. I had a few gripes, especially some bullet-spongey boss design, but I liked it a lot on the whole and would recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

100% out of 12.

....but how many of those are from Mum? :thunk:

Just kidding, the game like nice and that's pretty :3: