Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Palpek posted:

Cthulhu's Catharsis - a strategy game about taking over the world as Cthulhu

Why is a spawn of Azatoth aiding Cthulhu's ambitions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I'm loving that soft art style, gotta say.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nah I don't want to support devs like that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Stux posted:

gamers getting apocalyptically mad instead of just waiting until its on steam is dumb but also their announcement was dumb and egs sucks so ill just wait

Yeah it's not the exclusivity that bugged me (whatever, devs need money and I won't fault them for that, it's Epic that's the problem), it's the way they communicated it to their fanbase that irked me. Decided it wasn't worth giving them money.

Edit: Shoot this isn't the thread for this, sorry.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Yeah, no that's entirely lovely. Gamers are the loving worst. I just didn't want to buy the game and would wait until there was a hefty sale for it, people threatening others because they were condescending (even if the tone wasn't intended) are trash people. gently caress. Sorry I derailed this thread.

In lighter news I completely forgot I got SUPERHOT, so now there's a new shiny game waiting for me in Steam, nice.

Donnerberg posted:

Beyond a Steel Sky came out today. I've been thinking about giving it a shot just because it's cyberpunk, but apparently it has quite a pedigree. It's the sequel to a 90s point and click adventure game called Beneath a Steel Sky, and it's made by guy that did all the Broken Sword games.

Oh wow. I have vague memories of Beneath a Steel Sky, mostly of starting out in a small-ish room, having no idea what was going on, and pretty much dying repeatedly for an hour before getting annoyed and giving up (I was an impatient child)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I really should've just gave a thumbs up to that ooblet and moved on.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Similarly, if you're looking to get a pokemon-like fix, but in an online setting, you can check out https://store.steampowered.com/app/745920/Temtem/

Also in Early Access, but I've heard from a couple friends that have played it that it's really good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

djkillingspree posted:

aren't they all????

Those mongolian dogs in Ghost of Tsushima can gently caress right off, constantly breaking my ghost streak.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

David D. Davidson posted:

Also it's technically not anime, as the studio is based in Texas.

If an animation is made in a forest, and no one Japanese hears it, does it make a owo~?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I do appreciate the inventory being labelled 'Q3 2020 Summary Account of Items Inside My Pants'

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

eonwe posted:

are there any multiplayer FPS games that came out recently or are coming out soon?

There's one by the makers of Left 4 Dead, called Back 4 Blood.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Cozy Grove just came out on Switch today, which I think is a better place for it given the structure of the game as I understand it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Arbetor posted:

I played a few hours of Galactic Mining Corp, and the above post is pretty accurate. It is a very skinner box type game, do a basic task, get upgrades to make numbers go up and do the basic task better. The controls for the mining are simple and occasionally finicky. You use the mouse to control the center of the mining drill rig, not the location of the drill. This makes it easy to rapidly drill in a direction, but sometimes precision drilling, or avoiding over-drilling is difficult. My biggest complaint is there are piles and piles of things to upgrade - literally every tile you can mine (grey rock, yellow rock, grey sand, yellow sand, etc.) can be upgraded to get tokens, every item you find while mining can be upgraded to get tokens and bonuses, every room in your base, every employee can be upgraded, but there is no indicator in the main base UI to let you know upgrades can be made. I lost a bunch of crew xp because I forgot they could be upgraded, and they don't accumulate xp if they are at the cap for the level.

In summation, if you ever wanted a game where you can just check off huge number of upgrades, take a look. I sometimes get that urge to just click boxes in a big tree, and this scratches that itch.
would help.

And I would like to join the people saying thank you for posting here, it is a great resource.

This sounds extreeeeeeemely like my poo poo.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, this is a purchase for me as this series blew my mind as a young boy as the books served as expansions that built up to a giant adventure, instead of being linear serials such as the Lone Wolf books. I think there was an LP in the forum a few years ago as well.

Oh man, I had only two Fabled Lands books (living overseas made them real hard to get) but they were amazing, the freedom to explore this enormous world, progressing using that codeword system, getting tougher and more heavily equipped, it was awesome.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Play posted:

Had to dp for this one:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1544360/LEGO_Builders_Journey/

LEGO: Builder's Journey looks gorgeous, like actual lego pieces, and is a puzzle game essentially. Just the vibe of this one is enough to get me to at least try it out, but I am hoping since it's a puzzle game that it isn't for children.

OH double POST.

Anyway game looks real good, a nice chill time.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Hell yeah I fuckin' love a time loop. My gf and I started our first date with a discussion about time loops and how nearly all sci fi shows end up doing one at one point or another. They can sometimes be a little weird to pull off in a game, but the release of the Outer Wilds DLC has gotten me back in em.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Iverron posted:

What exactly is the time limit mechanic in Unsighted? Was pretty interested but really don’t like time limits.

If I understand it, every person in the game has a time limit before they go 'unsighted' (ie become hostile and mindless). Including you. There are items in the game that prolong it, but only on one character, so you have to choose, including deciding if you need to use it on yourself. I think that's it, not sure what happens if you run out of time, if it's a game about replaying it repeatedly, or what. Chances are it's not a game I could play.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's that? Not enough extremely weird indie stuff on your to-play list? Don't worry, itch.io is here for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9dRylsAu7E

https://oleandergarden.itch.io/hexcraft2

e: oh! It's on steam too! https://store.steampowered.com/app/1555650/HEXCRAFT_Harlequin_Fair/

I think the weirdest and most experimental thing about this game is setting it in Toronto.

(haven't played it)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1266100/Vampire_The_Masquerade__Parliament_of_Knives/

I'd apologize for the single-game-per-post but I keep getting emails letting me know a new game is out.

I am mildly interested in VtM but my interest is extremely piqued by a game that takes place in Ottawa of all places. I'm genuinely curious at how much of the city is in the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Lakbay posted:

The full game is more of the same, I only like the combat skill system and the protagonist is comically petty but the game is supposedly only 10 hours. Even worse is all the animations are unskippable and slow

This is a plus for me. Not sure why RPGs need to always be 30+-hour endeavours.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Every time I see a simulation game that isn't the most AAA-polished experience, I always wonder what Let's Game It Out could do to absolutely obliterate the game and its systems.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sinteres posted:

I don't actually have a problem with it, it's just funny how many came out this year.

Which ones? I always am interested in time loop media. I know of Forgotten City, 12 Minutes, Outer Wilds (not this year but the DLC came out)...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh, of course. Already own those :P

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oh wow I remember playing an old pirated copy of this decades ago that I bought from a tiny hole in the wall in South Asia. Completely forgot it even existed until now. Surprised anyone played it enough to warrant a remaster.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Is Unsighted designed to be played repeatedly, or does it feel like a full game once you play through it the first time?

Because that time thing stresses me out, but if it's designed for it to run out a few times as you make your choices through multiple (relatively quick) playthroughs, I'd be more inclined to check it out.

(I know you can mitigate/turn it off, but I don't like doing that since it feels like taking a chunk out of the game's purpose)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ooh I'll be looking forward to that getting a full release.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Can't fool me, this is just Nightmare Creatures.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Wait so is it just the word 'pillage' that is objected to, or any war game ever made?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

The only thing it has in common with other games is that it's an open world.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

This looks like it should be called Psychopath Simulator.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Verdugo posted:

Been playing Dysmantle and it's good mindless fun. Gameplay loop is break stuff -> upgrade your things or make new things to break even more stuff. Kinda like the initial loop in Minecraft of create tool -> break things to get better tools to break better things. Has enemies but they're pretty simple to defeat once you get their patterns down plus there's a item that will stop respawns in an area. If you're into minecraft like progression w/ top town isometric style then it's worth it otherwise get it on sale. Not a AAA story but mindless fun. Has couch co op too.

Also available on GoG / PS4 / Switch iirc

It's scratching an itch for me for sure. Also a great podcast game. Smash things, get stuff, store stuff, build and upgrade stuff, find things to interact with, fill out map.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Ho ho holy no, absolutely no way I'd be able to play this game without going catatonic

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's easy, you click a spot and then a bunch of spaces clear out and then you keep randomly clicking on things until you lose.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Why does it make it look like Andrew Willman died at age 5.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I heard someone (SkillUp, I think it was) compare this to Eagle Eye Detective Agency, a game I played...oh, 30 years ago? I have no idea how apt the comparison is, but it immediately made me want this game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

I loved the idea until the gameplay is revealed to be a borderlands clone.

Four player co-op fps games are not 'borderlands clones'.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A good Borderlands clone is the Halo 3 campaign

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

grate deceiver posted:

So Peglin is out in EA today and it's pretty good so far.

Peggle/panchinko gameplay with Slay the Spire-like roguelike mechanics, where you build a dick 'n' balls with special abilities, get relics with more special abilities, and progress down a branching path towards bosses.

I am a child. Also this looks like my jam, are there progression mechanics between runs?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1582680/Trolley_Problem_Inc/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256880172/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1649163007

Really intriguing and interesting game which starts with the classic Trolley Problem morality conundrum and then spins off from there with increasingly detailed and genuinely tough permutations. Mixed Reviews, I like it a lot but maybe it's content-poor or something I don't know.

I was sort of hoping, based on the first bit of the trailer, that it would get less philosophical and more absurd in its questions. ie "Oh you won't push Jim onto the tracks. Okay, but what if I told you Jim was actually Hitler's descendant?" -> answer "Okay now what if I said that I had proof he grew up to be a hitler, but for robots?" -> answer "Ok now what about..."

I mean I guess that'd probably be a less interesting game overall....but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Looking forward to the day when games with dodging and fast-paced combat don't just throw the word "soul" in their title somewhere.