Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

Nephrite posted:

I may actually just make a thread about it, but if you haven't checked it out and like strategy RPGs, please give Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia a shot.

If you played the original Brigandine: The Legend of Forsena back in the 90s, this is a re-imagining of it. It isn't a remake, but it's an entirely new game that is basically a love letter to that game.

It's currently Switch-only, but there is a demo available as well.

What the absolute gently caress brigandine is one of my favorite games EVER. I still have my physical copy and get the itch to emulate it once a year or so.

Holy crap on toast. Thank you goon.

Edit: well now I’m downloading this and really really trying to tell myself not to take a sick day

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
It's not for everyone, but Dark Bestiary is out, and it's solid.

It does exactly what it says on the tin: it's a story-less turn-based strategy game where you can literally build any type of character you can imagine. There are somewhere around 100 skills (and you can buy all of them eventually), but you can only slot 8 at any given time.

While some of the skills require a certain weapon to be equipped - like piercing shot wants a ranged weapon - most are weapon-agnostic. Every stat except leadership is also build-agnostic, so your Might-based character can swap to be a spellcaster instantly as "Might" just equates to "damage", be that fireball or axe swing. And you can always respec for free, so leadership, which improves summons, can always be dumped.

Your character gains skill with each type of magic / weapon as he uses them (and it's a "he"), which is a fun way to see character growth, but it serves to discourage experimentation after a certain point. I'm fighting level 50 mobs and am maxed out on Healing and Summons, so me swapping into, say, Ice Magic right now would mean I'd need to go back to lower-level mobs even with my stats and equipment.

Loot is randomized, following the standard Blizz model of normal / magic / rare / epic / legendary. You can enchant gear with random item drops, or reinforce it via the blacksmith. It's not as huge of a loot pool as it looks at first, though, but level of the gear isn't a thing. It's either % based or needs to be reinforced a few times. So it's an interesting tradeoff: all rare longbows are based on _exactly_ the same stats, no matter your character level, and you improve them via reinforcement / gem slotting / enchanting. It means that you don't need to worry about finding a low-level legendary, which is good, but it also means the loot pool is a lot smaller than you think, which is less good.

Monsters are not created equal - some are easy buckets of hit points, others are horrible casting motherfuckers that summon extra mobs. But then again skill synergies are not created equal either, and you can always respec.

You play by essentially doing delves, the difficulty and length of which vary. You can always go back and do lower-level ones. Some are single-room; others are multi-room (which adds an interesting element of strategy as some skills persist between rooms and some do not).

The game is missing some VERY basic QOL features. It has a stash but you have to withdraw materials from your stash in order to use them, which is just absurd. Fortunately there's a "withdraw all" and "deposit all" feature but drat.

Edit: Also there's a game breaking bug where your summon stands on top of you and you have to hard-reset the game.

Again, not for everybody, but I wanted a low-stakes TBS and this is hitting a very sweet spot for me right now. Maybe hold off.

Hyzenth1ay fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 14, 2020

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Wildermyth is out in full release and on sale and is genuinely one of the most goddamn charming games I’ve ever seen. It’s a sort of light SRPG but the real joy is in the story vignettes that deepen character relationships. I have no idea how many trie data structures their dialog set is made up of but it’s incredible.

Im one who thinks video game “writing” is in a lightless crater below airport novel at best, and this game is proving me wrong. I just had a combat where one of my characters got caught out by a huge tentacled boss and he was about to die to acid. The game let me choose to have the guy next to him - his father, who was literally in his last battle before retirement - jump in front and take the death blow. The game makes the story part of the gameplay in a way I’ve seen only Banner Saga attempt.

I’d write more but I’m going to start a new journey.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

OgNar posted:

Any words on Tainted Grail yet?
Steam reviews are suggesting its a non Bethesda Elder Scrolls game.
Which I am fine with, but it is early access, because why wouldnt it be these days.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1466060/Tainted_Grail_The_Fall_of_Avalon/

It is extremely early access - you don’t even get a stash yet (dev recommends selling all your stuff to vendors and using the buyback option as a stash). It’s empty, janky, and buggy. Quests either don’t work or aren’t implemented fully yet. Their map sucks. Combat tries… but once you figure out the evasion trick you can kill god. Oh, and, magic skill doesn’t go up.

That said, I’ve put about ten very enjoyable hours into this thing. There’s some really good stuff buried under the muck. Exploration feels good and the game is way more vertical than Skyrim. Honestly, their cooking system is top-freaking-tier. Combine ingredients that ought to work together… and not only do they, but you’ll make a unique dish / recipe. I’ve found probably close to a hundred recipes.

But, yeah. Very EA. Game updates will Bork your save games, crashes happen, and I ran into one weird bug that rendered my last two save games unable to load.

It will eventually be Oblivion 1.5 but it’s not there yet.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008
Not sure if this was posted already, but Svarog’s Dream is outon Steam now. It is a wild fever dream of a game that probably shouldn’t exist but it is apparently my jam because I have finally stopped mainlining Balatro in order to play this.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2004640/Svarogs_Dream/

It’s a slow paced ARPG, with unique skills and character builds. The graphics are between “retro” and “terrible”. But because it’s slower-paced, and things hit VERY hard, you have to do some clever movement or downtime management.

What elevates this thing is that they made a responsive world. Events pop up frequently as you adventure. Werewolf attack in the forest at night (yes, there are day / night cycles and weather- both of which have game impact), or slavers attacking a town. Some of these are random; others are caused by a decision you made an hour ago. You have freedom to steal from NPCs, piss off entire factions, and side with anyone you like. There is a dedicated “pet” button that you can use as a bear chews on you for a chance to tame it. You start out dead and eventually kill god (or do you?).

Finally, this weird pile of insanity is a kind of roguelite. Death is meant to happen. They warn you in the opening menu to please play on Ironman mode. You should.

It looks awful but I am enjoying it and i didn’t know I needed this in my life.

Bonus for me is that it doesn’t appear to be a crazy-long game or an infinite ARPG in spite of the style.