Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm loving Birth, a quiet, meditative puzzle game. You are a creature in a city, and you are lonely, so you decide to build a friend.

Rock Paper Shotgun review

I really enjoyed this game. Two hours for full completion at a chill pace, lots of cute little puzzles, and a rather unique atmosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

mrmcd posted:

Also played a few hours of this yesterday. Calling it a city builder (which the marketing seems to imply) is incorrect imo. It's really a puzzle game.

Thanks for the comments. I would love an eco-based builder game with the same premise here, but I am less excited about a puzzler. Think I'll skip this one.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Looks like the main complaint is lack of ability to save between checkpoints that might be an hour apart. That’s a pretty legit concern imo. Gonna toss it on the wishlist and see if that gets addressed because I like most everything else I’m seeing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jossar posted:

Millennia

63% of 587 reviews.

C Prompt's (under the Paradox publisher house) take on the historical 4X is here. Reviews are all over the place on this one - It's not that people agree on it being a mediocre game. More like a civil war in the comments on whether or not you hate it with the burning fire of a thousand suns for being too much like Civ/not enough like Civ/the graphics suck/the multiplayer functionality sucks or you don't really care about graphics or multiplayer and love it as a sufficiently interesting take on the genre whose mechanics click into place once you "get" it. If you're somehow still on the fence, I'd recommend watching one of the dozens of content creator videos that Paradox sponsored and deciding from there whether you like the game or not, as that's probably the best way to figure out what the experience is going to be.

Yeah, the combination of some really cool ideas mixed with rather puzzling implementation, iffy balance, and very dated graphics make this a pass for now from me. Some of the concepts seem very cool just not quite cool enough to put up with the rest of it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Not optimistic since reviews tend to start positive and go down over time.

I don't think that's universally true at all. There are number of games that get blasted on release due to either legit or questionable reasons that even out later as either problems get fixed or the furor dies out.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

This game has a really cool concept and the demo they did awhile back was awesome. Always a bit tenuous how well those translate to full release but I’ll probably find out eventually.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Fatty posted:

Obviously this thread has loads of contributors, but I just wanted to say special thanks to ultrafilter and Play for their massive efforts. You are very much appreciated and noticed.

Yeah I will echo this, thanks to everyone who contributes to this thread you've shown me lots of cool games. :toot:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

86% out of 30 as of now. I've been watching this one for a bit as the premise seems cool but will sort of see where the dust settles on how well it's executed (and I make more of a dent in my current backlog) before I jump in myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Steam is just weird about it. I checked soon after your post and it said 88% positive out of 18 reviews for me so. :shrug: (currently 81% out of 61 reviews)

Game does look interesting though! Negative reviews seem to be annoyed that you don't actually drive and that it makes fun of right-wing politics.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 8, 2024