Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Grabbed Vampire Survivors per reccomends here, and why is this stupid game so engaging?

The best way I can describe it is if there was a Castlevania live action movie coming out in 2003, and this was the flash tie-in game to get you interested. But polished to a high sheen

It feels like some of the art assets were tweaked just enough to be legally distinct from the art from Castlevania games - which is kind of fun.

One small thing I don't like is the sound for taking damage. It's too quiet and "light" to fight against all the other bleep bloop sounds.

But there was an update just yesterday I think, where they added another play area and a character or two to unlock.

Probably the best $3 I've spent in a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Play posted:

Looks like it's epic store only, but Sifu (super complex martial arts roguelike) came out in Early Access. I'm sure everyone's seen something about that one before.

I'm hoping this comes to steam eventually.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

So I see MythicForce (80's cartoon FPS) is Epic store only, under what I assume is a timed exclusive. How long do those typically last?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That's disappointing, as I was looking forward to it.

But I tried the character creator, and the interface was really kind of weird. Like saving your creation was confusing.

Also, the creation tools were deep, but in weird directions. For example, there are a lot of options for artificial limbs (IIRC), but clothing options are surprisingly limited.

Also Epic Game Store only (at least for now) so that is another stumbling block as far as I'm concerned.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Tried the demo, and it's a (harder?) portal style puzzler. You wake up inside a "testing facility" where you get access to a mad science gun that allows you to manipulate time/space. Oh, and there's an AI built into the gun that maybe isn't out to get you, but is very secretive about what is really going on at the facility.

The puzzle mechanics felt less intuitive than portal because you are playing more with space and time, but the time mechanics only apply to either set piece environmental objects (reverse time on this pile of rubble and it reforms into a walkway so you can continue) or puzzle specific objects (cubes, jump pads, probably others). And the time mechanics revolve around physically moving these puzzle objects with the gun in the "on" position to record their position in space over the span of a 30 second time limit. Then you move you character to where you need to be, point your gun at the box, and hit the rewind button, and the cube moves backwards through time. You can pause this rewind action, so it will pause the cube in a specific point through it's trip, but you cannot replay it forward again. So not only do you have to plot the path of the object through space to be at certain points at certain times, but you also have to kind of plan it out backwards. Again, for me it's harder than portal.

I might sound like I'm down on the game, but what I got through was actually a pretty fun time. It's very clearly trying to be the next portal, but that's not a bad thing. There are way worse games you could try and ape from, and if you are going to steal, steal from the best. Speaking of at the end of the demo there's a highlight reel that shows what future levels will contain, and another thing they seem to have pulled from portal are cute robot defenses, though these appear to be more mobile than the portal turrets. If the full game is out I'll probably pick it up at some point.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

They turned elevator action into Metal Slug/Neo Contra?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Always was- this appears to be some sort of remake/rerelease of the 90s arcade game.

Ah, see, I'm an old, so I was only familiar with the 80's arcade/NES version

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1968710/MEATGRINDER/

quote:

Meatgrinder is a chaotic and fast-paced FPS. Use agility and guns to jump your way through insane levels on top of speeding trucks, trains and planes. No cutscenes or storylines, just pure action.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256922890/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1672069492

There's a demo. Kind of a low budget blend of Bulletstorm, Crank (the movie) and Cluster Truck, and if it supported controller properly, I'd probably enjoy it more. Something about having to use E (grapple) and F (kick) and ctrl (slow time) and shift (dash) for similar, but different quick paced mechanics is too confusing for my old reflexes to manage. There is controller support, but I couldn't get it to recognize my XBOX controller for anything other than the B button cancelling, and on my last attempt it didn't recognize my mouse either, and I had to alt+f4 to exit.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Any suggestions for some online multiplayer games with low requirements? My mates and I are scattered across several continents and gaming consoles (or lack thereof), although everyone's at least got a "whatever" laptop with Steam.

Jackbox and Among Us are two staples (also work well for >4 people). We've done a bit of Terraria but about half the people are lukewarm on it. Minecraft would probably be similar.

Have beaten Broforce, which was great.

Was thinking a Worms game (the turn-based nature probably makes it good for hanging out and chatting) although none currently on sale. Definitely open for other suggestions! It's a bonus if it can handle more than 4 players, but not a requirement.

Goose Goose Duck is essentially reskinned Among Us, but also free. I think it supports up to 12 people. You could play with pubbies or keep to private games.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1568590/Goose_Goose_Duck/

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Big Earthworm Jim energy with the main character colors and the weird alien landscapes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Deakul posted:

Yoooo, a new Star Trek point and click? What year is it?!

It's basically a telltale game set in the Star Trek universe around the same time as TNG. Some glitches and bugs, and multiple reports of crashes, but if you like Star Trek, specifically TNG, It's a good time.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sunshine Shuffle

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256944694/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1683047997

Main complaint with the game on Steam reviews (and one that I agree with after playing for like an hour), is that it's slow. There's time between dialogs, and time while the animals are making their decisions, and you're playing limit poker with set bets so it's pretty simplified for Hold 'Em and there's only so much you can do with even a good hand.

With that said, if you just want to chill in a Poker Night at the Inventory kind of way and play poker with some animal buddies while listening to ska, this is pretty decent for 9 bucks. Same people who made An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs and Space Warlord Organ Trading Simulator.

drat, I'm a fan of Skatune Network, so maybe I'll check this out.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

This is an all time favorite, and one of my wife's too. Available on basically any modern platform. It's bizarre, but a ton of fun.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Looking at the trailer, I know I hate the restaurant sim style games (Customer has a balloon over their head, timer starts, make their order before they get mad). How much of that is part of the gameplay of DTD?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Something about this is tripping a weird Kid Chameleon node in my head

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Not to be confused with the Norse god walking simulator, Balder's Gait

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

There's a demo (or was during the previous Next Fest)

It's pretty fun, but unlike most souls-likes there is no recharge on healing consumables. So if you have 7 heals (the max), use 3 and die to the boss, when you respawn, you'll have 4. Resting at the equivalent to a bonfire resets enemies and heals you, but provides no other solid benefit. There is a shop, but at least in the demo, it's at least half the map away from the nearest quick travel point.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Looks like a better version of WizOrb. I'll give it a try

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

This is very much more a puzzle game than any kind of beat em up. Played the NextFest demo, and I thought it was pretty meh overall. Music loop was short and repetitive. Did not encounter any kind of boss before losing interest.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Yeah, I remember liking Tomb Raider 2 a lot back in the day, but then I also remember how the controls worked, and how clunky they were. And how there was a big difference between move forward, and move forward one step. It also always felt like for 99% of the jumping puzzles, there was exactly one solution, and it looked like run, jump, grab, shimmy, mantle, run, step, step, turn, sidestep, turn, standing jump, grab, shimmy, drop, roll, pause, roll, side-jump, back step, backflip, done. But if you did three steps instead of two the whole sequence was hosed up.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Well that looks like a really fun 3D Sonic game, but you play as all the characters at once.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

CainFortea posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1775490/Slice__Dice/

Not exactly a new release, but it's gotten an iOS and Steam release with the 3.0 update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5UBfPwqp7s

Was pretty good on mobile. Don't know if it really gains anything from a Steam desktop release, and I personally wouldn't go above $5 for it, but it's not bad. There's a lot to see, even if the main gameplay is a bit on the shallow end.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Looks like it's kind of like Fights In Tight Spaces, just dice instead of cards and no slick graphics?

It's more accurate, but no less incorrect to say it's D&D meets Yahtzee!

You have a band of 5 RPG archetypes, each of which can level up into a different class as they gain experience. Each person is represented by one D6, where one side is usually a miss, and the remaining 5 are generally attack in some flavor. The dice can be changed so you might get attack x1, attack x2, gain armor, cast heal, use special ability, etc. Some dice may have multiple misses, but every hit is 3x or 5x, so it balances.

You roll the dice and plan your moves. The order you attack in makes a difference as some enemies have immediate counter attacks. Slimes will split into smaller enemies if they get below certain health thresholds for example. I think there are some classes or attacks where you get a +1 on that attack, but only if it is the first action of a round. It might make more sense to attack an enemy and then freeze them vs freezing them and then attacking. But, you can also play out all your choices, see the results, and then decide to make changes before committing to one path of action.

There's a lot there. IIRC there's 25 classes, five for each position. There are a few dozen charms, accessories and other equipment. I will admit to only playing the free mobile version, so there's probably a lot more I never saw.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

Aggelos is an extremely good Zelda2/wonderboy type game. Total hidden gem. This looks cool, they're doing Zelda 1 now. I wonder if this will get distributed to wider platforms like their other games.

Never saw Aggelos before, but was a huge fan of the Wonderboy series growing up. Bought the Dragon's Trap remake from a few years ago and the Monster Boy spiritual sequel when that came out, so this might be an instant purchase for me. Thanks for the recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

quote:

Cryptmaster: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1885110/Cryptmaster/

quote:

SAY ANYTHING in this bizarre dungeon adventure where words control everything. Fill in the blanks with text or voice to uncover lost abilities, embark on strange quests, and solve mindbending riddles. Can you conquer the crypt and uncover the mystery at the heart of CRYPTMASTER?

(looks extremely cool)

Played the demo of this one, and it's certainly unique, I'll give it that. Typing of the Dead, but what you type is the kind of attack you perform. There is a system for unlocking different skills at different times, so I don't imagine it's possible to unlock DESTROY from the very beginning. But there is a bit of guessing to figure out what kind of attack words are available, and there's something like 100+ judging by the skill tree. Different attacks have different cooldowns and advantages. A magical ZAP might stun enemies but requite 30 seconds of cooldown, where SLASH is quick, but bad against armor/shields. This is not turn based either so, if you take too long figuring out what to type, or make mistakes, enemies will kill you pretty quickly. IIRC you can't look at your list of skills/attacks/abilities during combat, so you may have to keep pen and paper handy. That might have been changed in the full release.

Whenever you get to a treasure chest, you have to play a guessing game with limited clues to figure out what is inside. Guess wrong too many times and you miss out on what the item was. Never failed on purpose for getting the starting sword or helmet, but missed out on RAT the first time around. You get to ask to ask stock questions like "What is it made of?" or "What does it taste like?", and I like the way it makes you think differently about objects.

I don't know if the voice acting is AI or if they had a real person record a bunch of lines, but it's impressive the reactions to both right and wrong answers.

It really feels like someone was given a challenge to make a real, entertaining "game" game out of an educational title, and they managed to really pull it off. What if Mavis Beacon was a fantasy necromancer?