Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Repost from horror thread since this is currently Halloween in America and this came out on the last of September.

---
I want to recommend Now You See, a Texas Chainsaw Massacre rear end point and click adventure game. Reminds me a lot of those old Flash escape room horror games you'd find on Newgrounds. Its minimalistic design and lack of player friendly features like a hint system result in a lot of pixel hunts and obtuse puzzles but I haven't found it too taxing as a casual adventure/hidden object game player. Pretty, some fun scares, and decently well designed by a two person team I believe. Recommended if you liked Scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

luxury handset posted:

i want to point out that this looks like furry poo poo but it's based on this european comic series that is american hardboiled detective stories, but with animal people. so if you're worried that this is going to be owo rawr nonsense think more LA Noire but you're playing as a sleek cat-man private investigator in 1950's new york, and the chief of police is a german shepard, and the mobsters are like turtles and flamingos. in one of the comics there's a racist white nationalist group but all the members are cold weather animals like polar bears and arctic foxes. nary a glomp in sight

Plenty of nudity though because it wouldn't be a European noir comic without it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish Disco Elysium kept its original name No Truce with the Furries.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Every 5 years there's a fresh wave of "melancholy in space" media and I eat that poo poo up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Chromatic aberration replaced obnoxious Vlambeer screen shake and Call of Duty dual image blur as the effect when you get hit really hard and I couldn't be happier.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

BONEWORKS came out yesterday. It's a highly detailed VR action game simulation that's pretty insane in how robust it is. It feels like it was pitched to Valve at some point because there's a lot of Portal/Half-Life vibes coming from it. Honestly looks too loving intense for me to enjoy but drat does it look sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kWBeyiXaig

al-azad
May 28, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

Is this new, I thought I saw a brief LP of it?

Or did I?

Various demos have been released over the years, this is an early access version.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TwoDayLife posted:

I should have been more specific.
The game taking my healing limit from 8?->3 in the mines level is what got me to quit.
Losing all the Kodama between zones annoying me to the point where I didn't want to play anyway.
It didn't help that they did it for, what I heard, is one of the worst levels in the game.

So basically the question is does Nioh 2 reset you healing limit between zones like the first one did?

I just beat the mines and this didn’t happen to me although I did use everything fighting the first boss so I started with 3 elixirs which is the default but by the end of the level I had 8.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lol I’m glad Sentinels is penetrating the video game market because board gamers have been saying “good game, bad art” for over a decade.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The demo to Trials of Mana is pretty lengthy as it’s about the first 1/10 of the game and every character is playable, if you want an idea of what to expect. Took me a little more than 3 hours and your save will carry over. It’s a lot prettier in motion and combat is tight but it’s pretty basic and repetitive which is keeping in line with the original. The mana series has always been propped up with good graphics and music while the actual moment to moment gameplay is clunky as gently caress. The original SD3 in particular has a bunch of weird difficulty spikes and permanent decisions that can make your time a nightmare.

My impression of the remake is positive. Combat is real action based and not a weird hacked together ATB system, the presentation is fine in motion it’s very well animated with colorful textures, it hits all the good parts of the original while injecting a bit more into the otherwise cookie cutter characters, and you have some choice and customization over the growth of the characters besides choosing which class to get. I can’t stress how barebones the original Mana games really are, it was drat impressive in 1994 but action RPGs evolved faster than the Mana series could keep up.

So it’s a good remake of a game I find mostly average, more than I expected as a person who played the translated rom back in the day but I hesitate to recommend it for full price to anyone who has zero nostalgia for the original because it’s still a B- at best kind of budget game.

Square certainly redeemed themselves over the Secret of Mana remake which probably had more bugs than the original which was a quickly hacked together after the SNES-CD fell through.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Streets of Rage 4 came out yesterday to little fanfare and it's drat good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arrrthritis posted:

My wife and I bought a copy of Deathtrap Dungeon on a whim. Sort of an ironic purchase? We bought it expecting to roast the poo poo out of it and it ended up being a pretty decent experience. It seems to be a pretty straight port of the tabletop module with a choice of modern/simplified combat rules or classic combat rules.

The entire thing is a tiny british man narrating the experience and your decisions with occasional images from the 1984 book with some D&D rear end D&D art. The game keeps track of the routes that you have explored and makes an autosave at every big decision point, so you can always go back and try out a different path if you want to see all the different ways you can die (or if you were too curious and end up getting one of the many instant game-overs).

It has all of the foibles of old D&D design, such as:

Instant Death if you go the wrong way
Letting you make it to the very end of the game and then killing you because you forgot to pick up a key item.
A difficulty range that scales from Really Easy to Impossible depending on your initial stat rolls.

Wow I might have to get this just for Eddie Marsan front and center who is perfect for playing nebbish fascists and egghead characters.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

itty bitty baby boy posted:

Hi, I just released a game called Wintermoor Tactics Club on Steam.

I think it's cool! That's probably not surprising. We actually got an 82 on Metacritic, which is dope as hell. It's kinda like Persona 4, but 1/4th as long, and with Into The Breach-combat instead of old-Final-Fantasy combat. Plus, it's got a little discount for launch week.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917840/Wintermoor_Tactics_Club/

First impression just want to call out how interestingly diverse the cast is. The art and character design nails it out the gate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Boreal Tales is a surreal urban-horror adventure game with a lo-fi style and PS1 era Squaresoft aesthetics. Came out last month on itch for $3 Canadian which is like $1.50 USD and the dev probably gets a better cut anyway.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sludge Life, the dankest looking game I've seen in a while, just dropped for free on EGS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1I-3WkO-MU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StrangeAeon posted:

Seriously, how is Maneater not been mentioned yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCRmiOqUgYQ

I would blame it being an EGS exclusive but no it's because they didn't license Hall and Oates for the trailer.

mr Scoop posted:

Jim Sterling's review makes it sound fun but a bit awkward to control

Basically the PS2 Jaws game but an open world RPG. EGS sale going through June 11 so worth a look.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Moon: Remix RPG Adventure drops on Nintendo Switch today, a cult PS1 RPG in Japan about a boy sucked into a JRPG connecting with its NPCs and rebuilding in the aftermath of the Hero "saving" the world.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Freedom Fighters just released on GOG after being locked in legal limbo for 15 odd years, this is technically a "fresh release" right?

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1308039353302568962

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Classic puzzle game Chip's Challenge is now free on Steam for its 30th anniversary in a really good version that lets you mix and match the gaudy Windows 3.1 era graphics.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I've never seen a game with extra content released a year later that wasn't already an enjoyable experience day 1. It accomplishes two things: it entices me to jump back into a game I've completed which means I already enjoyed the original experience, or it entices me to try a game that's older and I wouldn't have checked out if it didn't re-enter my mind.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AirRaid posted:

My friend, let me tell you about a little game called No Man’s Sky.

I actually enjoyed NMS from day one but a lot of people understandably didn’t.

My pedantry says early access doesn't count and NMS was basically early access.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silent Hill 4: The Room is on GOG.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Partisans 1941 released. It's a Commandos/Desperados type strategy game where you're a Russian resistance group killing Nazis and turncoats. Has an Xcom-lite base management and research system inbetween missions. The demo was good if a little Eurojanky but that's to be expected.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's a eurojank game though so are the reviews talking about the gameplay actually being bad or is it like "here's a list of specific technical issues that are unacceptable on my sick rig so I must poo poo post."

al-azad
May 28, 2009

First time I've seen this game but it looks like a fresh take on classic Rainbow Six and it's in early access.

https://twitter.com/A_i/status/1321134566677991424

al-azad
May 28, 2009

No More Heroes 1 and 2 (Wii exclusive for 10 years) just dropped on Switch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I played the demo earlier this year and you zoom around an alien planet collecting/cataloging stuff and getting into the rare casual RPG battle. Don't know how that translates over a full game but the demo was pleasant and cute.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Do you need a reason to hate the government or enjoy loving?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

A Christmas miracle: Omori is out

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Surreal psych horror. More unsettling and anxiety building.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Adios definitely feels like a higher budget successor to Paratopic. It's a similar style of going through vignettes while picking dialog options but there's slightly more stuff to click on in a scene.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If y'all like some weird rear end games that look like a Net Yaroze disc found in a shoebox the Haunted PS1 Demo Disk 2021 dropped

https://twitter.com/HauntedPs1/status/1375175661774602241?s=20

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would love a transistor clone which is the closest game to Parasite Eve since... Parasite Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Say No! More, a weird comedy game about yelling NO at work assholes. Also on Switch.

I played the demo and it's what I can only describe as a one button rail shooter but it's funny and charming.