Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I've been playing Space Crew on my Switch. Here's a little info about it, in case anyone else is thinking to try it out.

You command a little spaceship and its crew which operates out of a space station near Earth. The solar system is being overrun by aliens, which will attack you frequently as you perform your various missions. You'll be spending a lot of time in combat.

Your crew members will perform different functions depending on where you put them, or what they're holding. If you put them in a gunner's seat, they'll shoot at alien ships. If you make them pick up a fire extinguisher, they'll put out any fires near them.

The crew members also gain more options as they level up in their jobs, such as the ability to activate a cloaking device from the security chair. Each crew member starts with one job, and can multiclass once they hit level six. These skills give you some decisions to make during combat, since the more powerful skills have substantial cooldowns.

When you complete missions, scan alien garbage, kill bounties, or pick up useful items floating around in space, you'll get money and research. Research unlocks new spaceship parts and gear for your crew, and you use money to buy it when it's unlocked. The customization seems a little shallow. For example, the engines that I've unlocked so far come in three flavors: more armor, more evasion, or less radiation leakage (your crew doesn't like radiation). It's nice to have the choice, but none of the choices really change how the game plays.

The controls are pretty awkward. I tend to wind up cancelling my defensive flying, and setting a course for Uranus when I only wanted to tell my minions to shoot the alien vessel that's trying to put a boarding party in my hold. I frequently deselect a crew member when I'm trying to get them to do something.

The game isn't bad. I've had some fun. I've had plenty of tense moments and close calls, although a lot of those wouldn't have happened if I had a better mastery of the controls. Unfortunately, it's starting to feel kinda repetitive and grindy. I can't really recommend it based on my experience so far.

Do you think the controls are something that'd be better on PC or it's just inherently bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Red Lantern looks good, I guess it's time to make a sledding genre in my games list since I also have Arctico and Sled Dog Saga.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah, Chicken Police sounds really good.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The only game genres that would be more ridiculous to call 'souls-like' would be the ones without combat. Just like, why? Because you can dodge?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Or my queue will default to showing me games from the 90s, okay. Here are two ancient RTSes that are apparently on steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1292170/Krush_Kill_N_Destroy_Xtreme/

Holy poo poo, I played the hell out of this game as a kid. I doubt it holds up though, it doesn't even have a minimap iirc but it did have an xp system. I used to force my good units to attack my own harvesters to level up.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Biomutant
https://store.steampowered.com/app/597820/BIOMUTANT/

quote:

Biomutant is an open-world, post-apocalyptic Kung-Fu fable RPG, with a unique martial arts styled combat system allowing you to mix melee, shooting and mutant ability action.

A plague is ruining the land and the Tree-of-Life is bleeding death from its roots. The Tribes stand divided. Explore a world in turmoil and define its fate – will you be its saviour or lead it to an even darker destiny?

Biomutant is a AA(?) game that I had my eye on for the last few weeks, it has a really cool colorful aesthetic with a world and characters that are full of life. The character creator looks cool too, your dude looks different based on your stat allocation, big and beefy with lots of strength, big head for big intelligence and uh, well I'm not sure what agility and charisma do but they do something.

I haven't actually played it because critical and Steam reviews are mixed. Critical reviews range from mediocre to good with common complaints being poor sound mixing, weightless combat, poor itemization and rewards for exploration. The narrator is also polarizing, with some loving him and others being annoyed. It does look beautiful though and I love the aesthetic, super colorful and varied, cute animal people. At $60, I'm waiting for a sale or at least for improvements. The dev does seem to be looking into some of the issues like the sound mixing which should improve the feel of combat since a lot of people complained that the weapon effects sound meh. There's still a lot of people enjoying it too so I think it'll be worth playing at some point. At the very least, my kid would probably like it since he's a fan of any game where he can run around in 3rd person in fun environments.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Hard to believe someone would just spoil a hundred year old book.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Wow, Tales of Arise also has ingame ads for dlc, getting flashbacks to Dragon Age.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I don't have the game myself but apparently the ads show up when you rest at a campfire during the game, not just the main menu or whatever.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

That game looks awesome, it's also by the Dead Cells guy. I like that the kid mode makes it really easy as well as adding a lot of trucks and helicopters because kids like them.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Did they even have video games 30 years ago?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

30 years ago was 1991. The Super Nintendo was out. PC gaming was a thing. SMDH

Yeah, but wasn't that still in black and white? I don't know if it counts.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

There's also Scott Pilgrim and Sangfroid.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Red Lantern is good, Ashly Burch voices the main character and you can turn off dog death. It was a bit buggy when I first played it but that was a while ago so it's probably fixed by now.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Bliss Authority posted:

It's possible you were playing a pirated version and this was the copy protection.

Busted. That is what happens to pirated copies because the crackers are usually too lazy to check beyond whether the game starts or not.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Zero Wing is the game from the famous All Your Base meme but this version doesn't even have the loving cutscene? What were they thinking?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Mech Engineer
a dark sci-fi mech assembling manager with semi-auto battles against mutating, alien bio-weapon.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1428520/Mech_Engineer/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256806139/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1603450905

It looks loving sick but it's in early access and reviews are mixed. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it is for the v1.0 release.

edit: oh lol, it released in 2020 but my friend sent it to me like it just came out. Oh well.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Flipswitch posted:

Phantom Brigade is out tomorrow and it feels like there is very little fanfare. The demo slapped.

Where's your fanfare about it? The demo did slap although I have too many games to play right now but it's on my wishlist.

Phantom Brigade

quote:

Phantom Brigade is a hybrid turn-based & real-time tactical RPG with an innovative timeline-based command system. See the future, predict enemy actions, and plot your counterattack on the timeline! Outnumbered and out-gunned, lead the Brigade's campaign to retake their war-torn homeland.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256932130/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1677606966

Star Survivor also looks cool, apparently it's a vampire survivors like except in space.

quote:

The last ship against the endless. Exterminate as many as you can, and gather points to upgrade your ship from a crafted deck of equipment and power-ups. Will your choices be enough to overcome the thousands hunting you? Survive the swarm in this rogue-lite + survivors + asteroids mashup.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256928150/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1675248964

I'm waiting until it gets some gamepad support before I buy though, it looks like it'd be great on the steam deck.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Morpheus posted:

This is also available on mobile if you have a Netflix account.

Oh drat, that's cool. Netflix probably knows I'd cancel if it weren't for the good mobile games too.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

It's already only $6 at full price and it has a launch sale. It's really not worth even that?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

BurningBeard posted:

It’s also funny to see blatant marketing from small teams. Yo solarpunk is not a thing stop it. lol.

I'm not sure what your point here is, most people are copy/pasting the description of the game from Steam so yes, it is literally marketing. Also solarpunk is a thing, I've heard of it before this game anyway.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

quote:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2009650/Desta_The_Memories_Between_Dream_Team_Edition/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256927928/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1675180450

From the creators of monument valley, which you can definitely see in the style. Maybe it's like that one SuperGiant turn based ball game? 3 positive reviews.

Oh, this game is pretty cool. The gameplay is fun, it's turn based but you have to aim the ball manually for skillshots. It also does a good job with the NB main character; I really liked the writing. It's free on mobile with a Netflix subscription actually but it looks like the pc version is expanded.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

If someone gives me a good thread title, I'll make a dave the diver thread.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Dackel posted:

Hot Pepper Tuna - Dave the Diver (2023)

hot pepper tuna

Come here for all your dave the diver chat.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1230530/Atlas_Fallen/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGQfhGubWns

quote:

Rise from the dust and liberate mankind from the oppression of a corrupted god.

Glide the sands of a timeless land, filled with ancient dangers, mysteries and fragments of the past. Hunt legendary monsters, using powerful, shape-shifting weapons and devastating sand-powered abilities in spectacular, super-powered combat.

Target and gather the essence of your enemies to shape your own custom playstyle, forging a new era for humanity in a fully cooperative or solo story campaign.

Rise from the dust. Unleash the storm.
• Master the sands to explore a unique fantasy world teeming with secrets, locales and dangers
• Hunt legendary creatures alone or with a friend in heroic, super-powered combat
• Unleash your power to create deadly shape-shifting weapons
• Rise as the ultimate champion with unique custom skills and abilities

Mixed reviews, 48% positive :negative:

I was looking forward to this one since it's by the devs of The Surge 1 & 2 but looks like it's not great. It's unfortunate it's also coming out at the same time as Baldur's Gate 3, Armored Core, the Cyberpunk expansion and Starfield later. I'll keep it on my wishlist and hope for improvement.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

RPS has an informative review on this: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/atlas-fallen-review

Seems like a cheap sale game rather a complete garbage disaster. I think I got both Surge 1 and 2 for like 5-8$ each, so their games def go on big sales eventually.

Yeah, I'll keep it on my wishlist. It seems like most of the issues are things that can't be fixed in a patch but it'd probably be worth playing at a cheap sale.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Do I need to play talos principle 1 before 2?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have no idea why the ratings are only Positive. This game does exactly what it says on the tin.

The game needs to have more total reviews before it can be higher than positive.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

abraham linksys posted:

i feel obliged to point out it's really not an anime titty game outside of the two giant npcs in the Steam screenshots, unless this hosed up demon area i'm in now turns out to have a hosed up big titty demon, which that sounds pretty cool i'd be fine with that

but especially in terms of dialogue this is way less horny than like Tevi or something, just has a snake boss and a big fairy with huge bazonkas. even Nintendo did the latter, and for the former, well, it seems like a good way to guarantee some sales from a surprisingly large contingent of the internet

Giant anime titties in a game is kind of a gently caress one goat situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Slice and Dice is one of the best mobile games around, I'm definitely getting it again assuming it works on steam deck.