Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's also hella dark and every time a tiny spooder bites your rear end, the camera shakes like crazy. And the opening unskipable monologue is some of the boringest, dumbest exposition I've seen.
Stumbled around in the starting cave for half an hour, managed to beat two spooders and a skellington, then died and said gently caress it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

It's some russian streamer's fangame, so probably garbage.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

There's a Vampire: the Masquerade game coming out today - Coteries of New York

Seems to be a VN with multiple branching paths.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Does it open up at all after the intro sequence? I tried it for half an hour but it felt very on rails and I got bored.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Time to spend a milion hours staring at impenetrable panels, flipping switches and watching my ship explode. I live for this poo poo.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Oh hello I am the publisher of this game and came here to post this.

Check it out, it's a really, really ambitious game. We've got 75% of the game systems in but only about 10% of the content. We've got a really big roadmap of stuff coming in Early Access and we think this thing is a proper forever game.

Here's the trailer we got Naomi Nagata from The Expanse to do the VO for!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLkhM1v6AFw

Listen up fucker, I'm up to my tits in games and you made me buy another one. Hope you're happy.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Terra Nil is a reverse city-builder where you're working to rebuild ecosystems on devastated land in the wake of an ecological disaster. It was explicitly created as a counter to games like Factorio that are all about turning alien landscapes into stripmined hellscapes and especially with all the wildfires raging across the planet right now it's really cathartic. It's still in development but it's also pay-what-you-want including just downloading it for free.

This looks pretty cool, but it also made me wish for a full-on complex ecosystem sim. Like, cross this with Equilinox and Cloud Gardens and a bit of SimEarth.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Ok, so I want to try out the Cultivator Sim, how do I access the english beta? I only have something called oldworld0.94 in the betas properties tab

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

You enter the beta code

which will unlock it on that device. Then just select the beta as usual, the rest it does automatically. If you want to use it on another one, just enter the code there as well.

You might have to press the flag button in the main menu to switch to English, but I didn't.

got it, thanks

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Philthy posted:

Thanks, my half-assed search came up empty.

Check out Snowrunner as well if you wish to disappear completely from the material world

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Check out The Eternal Castle as well. It's pretty short - I finished it in 2,5hrs, though there's a new game+ and some hidden stuff, but the style and music is out of this world. The visuals are also pretty cool for being 2-bit color, it's like a super stylish synthwave music video.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mode 7 posted:

I've been trying to get into this but I feel like I'm missing something with the melee combat, I keep getting ruthlessly destroyed.
Is this a case where my approach is wrong and I need to be wholesale avoiding combat in the screens I get wiped on (thinking the disco/danceclub early on for example) or have you got any tips that might help?

It's been a while so I don't remember if there's some trick to the disco part, but combat is pretty straightforward - you should be able to find a weapon somewhere nearby and just mash through them. If you do the city level first (the top right one), there's an item that boosts your melee damage there (and another one for stealth).

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Holy poo poo, GearHead is still going on? The previous ones were pretty cool, you could build some crazy mechs

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Especially if you put fists on that jet

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

This came out in December 2020 but it has like 7 reviews so I don't think anyone's heard of it:

Stars Die is a nonlinear real time scifi mystery game with branching dialogues.

A giant cathedral of flesh has appeared in the middle of the ocean on a dying world. A small group of scientists are secretly investigating it when a mysterious woman appears, facing an impossible task.

Completely nonlinear story. Have long debates with people or ignore them the entire game.
Five parallel, but interconnected story lines, each with its own completely separate ending.
The player isn't at the center of the narrative. Each character has their own agenda and they will try to act accordingly in real time, with or without you.
You can explore the environments freely at your own pace, but remember, time is running out.
Your choices won't be about moral dilemmas, but ideological ones. It's all about your limited personal perspective on the events and what you believe in.
Dark industrial soundtrack by composer Connor ORT Linning.

This is cool, has a few amazing scenes and unique atmosphere, but I feel like the description makes it seem to be way more than it actually is. It's nonlinear in the sense that at the end you can choose one of 4 endings, and the whole thing takes 45 minutes tops. Still recommend at the price of a cup of coffee, but don't expect Pathologic like some people are comparing it to in the comments.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah, I played it for about an hour and ended up refunding it. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything more than so many other games of this type and the humor really fell flat for me. And I usually like dumb humor. I'll just wait for the new Subnautica to come out.

Same, plus the grind for resoures combined with the pretty strict oxygen limit just eroded all my will to play.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I've seen several reviews use the words 'hunger management' and my desire to play completely evaporated.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

The strange thing is, Bitcoin as cookie-clicker type game could probably be actually pretty fun. Well, as fun as idle games ever are.

http://www.beepboopbitcoin.com/

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Wish this game was about just hiking and taking pictures, or doing some park ranger poo poo or something, because the environments are beautiful, but I just don't care about the hunting part

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

You can avoid killing animals for the most part, if you don't mind never really getting any new gear or leveling up. Since most gear or skills are just useful for killing things better, you wouldn't need them anyway. Just walking around, exploring the environments and taking in-game photographs is a fairly valid playstyle.

That's true I guess. I tried it for a while but couldn't get into it as purely a hiking simulator, I think I'd like some more incentive and progression

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think the thing that really dampens my enthusiasm about this game is that it feels like there's not just one layer of RNG that can screw you (that would probably be manageable) but I keep running into situations where even if the right planets are in the vicinity of each other, whoops you can't make a connection because they're one centimeter too far apart, or even worse there's a planet in the way that if it were 3 degrees to the right everything would be fine. Feels really bad

That's all valid points, but at the same time the game gives you plenty of tools to alleviate that. There's tech to move planets, there's relays, there's tech to destroy planets that are blocking you, there's a crapload of alternate 'recipes' for planets, there's robot<->human swapping tech, and then there's energy which you can substitute for anything. Imo the starting council setup that you get in the tutorial is strong as heck tech-wise.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

New train game dropping soon: Rail Route

quote:

Rail Route is a tycoon/management game based on railroad dispatching. Control the traffic, build out your own network, then optimize and expand. Unlock new technologies, upgrade the infrastructure, and automate operations! Design and share your own maps with the in-game editor.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

I'd be very interested in any goon reviews on this one. I almost grabbed it recently but it's kind of a steep price tag for what it looks like ($19.99), especially still in early access. But it looks cool and I'm still tempted.

I know they say the painting is realistic -- I wonder if I can do a wet canvas piece and follow along with a Bob Ross episode

I played the demo a while back and it's pretty good. Plenty of different tools and brushes, very chill

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Play posted:

Interregnum Chronicles: Signal is a first person narrative game set in a space station above earth. You do get to explore the space station, complete tasks, etc. but primarily it is a story-based game.

Tried this one but it's kinda just a chore to play. The incremental parts are ok I guess but kinda simplistic, and to move between them you have to trudge through the same empty corridors dozens of times. The entire loop is: play the incremental part until you get an upgrade -> go to the AI terminal to get the next few lines of story -> maybe read an email -> repeat. And the story is not even that good.

Hard pass.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Intravenous just released, looks like a hotlinemiamilike, but with a bit of Splinter Cell or Deus Ex mixed in. There's more of a focus on stealth and crawling through vents, but you can also go guns blazing and combat seems very lethal.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1486630/Intravenous/

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Death Trash EA is out today:

quote:

What to expect from the first Early Access version:
- 5+ hours of the story campaign and side locations, with some of the main quests still work in progress
- medium replay value
- all gameplay systems
- more reliance on combat than non-combat
- mouse / keyboard plus controller support
- user config settings, rebindable keys
- Windows, Linux and MacOS support
- local co-op technically working
- probably some bugs

What to expect from the final release version:
- 20+ hours handcrafted story campaign
- increased replay value
- improved non-combat gameplay
- improved local co-op design
- more languages

What to expect from the post 1.0 version:
- updates concerning bug fixes and improving user experience

Feature ideas we're aware of and that might happen, but not 100% sure:
- some kind of modding support, including a level editor

Feature ideas we're aware of but probably won't happen due to our budget limitations:
- online co-op

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Hello Sailor posted:

Is Ascent like Diablo where you can revisit old areas for more XP and loot?

Yeah, it has a persistent map that you'll be constantly running back and forth to do sidequests.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Play posted:

That being said farming XP isn't super advantageous I don't think, you get a lot more XP for finishing quests and sidequests and the game seems designed to not encourage grinding. You can farm components and stuff in certain areas if you want but you can beat the game just fine without any grinding/farming at all.

Was about to add that, there's no reason to go back anywhere if there isn't a sidequest to do. There's also no randomized loot in the diablo sense - you have a pool of predetermined items and weapons, each with set stats and abilities. Sometimes enemies might drop something, but you can also just buy it from the shops.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/917720/Gamedec/

Gamedec is also out but its getting some mixed reviews from sites

Yeah, I gave it a try, but unfortunately the writing is not very good. Every character speaks with the same voice and it's overall just kinda bland. Which for a no-combat adventure/rpg game is a cardinal sin.

Also ran into the first puzzle mechanic, where I had to find some kind of invisible glitches, but every time I picked the wrong one, the whole thing would reset and honestly I don't have time for this kind of tedious bullshit. Just all around meh.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

drat, fake OS is one of my favorite genres, this looks dope

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

A zach-like The Signal State just released. It has similar vibes to SHENZEN I/O, you're patching modular synths to match the desired output signal.

quote:

• Manipulate inputs by using unique modules and patching cables via a simple drag-and-drop system.
  • Prove yourself as the best machine whisperer by completing more than 40 puzzles and competing in our leaderboards.
  • Customize it to your preference with color palettes for cables and 3 different cable rendering styles.
  • Take immersion to the next level with designs by Papernoise, who has designed modules for Mutable Instruments, Hexinverter, WMD, etc.
After launch, we are going to focus on a huge future update with two additional features:
Experiment in sandbox mode
A free-for-all playground without any constraint. Let your imagination go wild.

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 23, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Samopsa posted:

here's my short review from the zachtronics thread after finishing it in 5 hours:

Well, that sucks. For this price that's not very good.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Palpek posted:

Is it like the 5th timeloop game that released this year? 12 Minutes, The Returnal, Deathloop, The Forgotten City, The Outer Wilds DLC (counts), so it's at least the 6th. Sure that the concept was always there but it ramped up in 2021. Probably because it's a way to implement roguelite mechanics that became popular in recent years into more story-based games AND you can reuse game assets. I wonder if we see more major games going with it.

Also that weird 5d time travel chess game was this year I think?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Mechajammer just released. Looks sweet as hell, too bad I've spent my gaming budget already. Anyone getting this could share some opinions?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Eternal curses to Prison Architect. Fugliest temp-dev-graphics-become-own-"style" I've ever seen and it already ruined RimWorld and now it's ruining another sim game. The graphics of these games don't need to be amazing, but you need to not sneer automatically when you see them. When your bad flashesque blobmen look worse than a tile fake-ascii tilesheet, it's time to rethink your art direction.

I could maybe excuse it if the game is at least original, but lmao at this, it's literally a dwarf reskin of Rimworld even down to the UI buttons

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Kinda looks like if you took the stonks part of Cruelty Squad and made it a whole game. I'm interested, will check this out today.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

This is cool enough that I took a break from Elden Ring to check it out. Very good, Twin Peaks-like horror/mystery, strong recommend

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Nightmare Reaper

quote:

Progress through the cursed depths of a nightmare while finding an arsenal of powerful weapons and improving your abilities along the way. This retro-inspired FPS with looter shooter and rogue-lite elements breaches the wall between classic and modern gameplay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDXepl8auN0

Just heard of this and it looks sick as hell, overwhelmingly positive reviews. Gonna try and report back

grate deceiver fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 28, 2022

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

I'm into it so far. My complaint would be that I'm not a fan of the cramped procgen levels, would prefer open arenas to really let loose, but it looks like it might open up later. Overall I dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

So Peglin is out in EA today and it's pretty good so far.

Peggle/panchinko gameplay with Slay the Spire-like roguelike mechanics, where you build a "deck" of balls with special abilities, get relics with more special abilities, and progress down a branching path towards bosses.