Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

I played this for about an hour, and it's neat! It immediately reminded me of Idle Wizard, are you aware of that one? Your game seems to be of a similar brand of idle games, where there's actual gameplay involving figuring out various systems to make them numbers go up. As opposed to actually clicking repeatedly on things. When Idle Wizard unfolds, it becomes kind of like a mathematical puzzle game where you have to figure out how to mash different multipliers together, in order to launch the numbers on a whole new level. If you haven't, check it out, I think it could provide inspiration for further development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

This is apparently based on the old Paranoia pen & paper RPG. It's a fun setting: the world is controlled by a supercomputer that's gone exceptionally sane, and the players are Troubleshooters, who are basically an enforcement squad for the computer. There's also a mishmash of various underground resistance groups, and typically the players are also secret members of one or more of those. High flying action and espionage shenanigans ensue.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Is that some kind of dunk on Star Citizen?

Ninja edit: probably not, my mind was just in a weird place

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Mandatory Assembly posted:

VELII-72P0E-DG3C (last number is 8)

Thanks, I grabbed this one since this seems up my alley. I'll definitely leave a Steam review in a day or two.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Please do check it out and leave a review, it really helps indie publishers like us.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1204410/Kosmokrats/

I played a couple of hours of this and it's good fun! There's Soviet space era satire and melancholy in the presentation that hits the right key notes. There's a lot of presentation, a lot more than I thought there'd be, and I want to see more of it. The main gameplay feature is a physics based jigsaw puzzle that's fun and intuitive, and also incredibly easy to mess up in true Soviet style. I haven't failed the space campaign yet, but since I'm spending all my hard earned food stamps on vodka and propaganda state approved entertainment instead of potatoes, the missions are becoming more challenging.

One thing I have to mention: i didn't notice a color blind mode in the options, and being able to distinguish between the colors of the magnetic points where the pieces attach seems pretty important.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 6, 2020

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Hey cheers! If you’re enjoying Kosmokrats please do leave it a Steam review, that really helps.

Good shout about the color blind mode... I’ll talk to the dev about that.

I'll deffo do a review, but I want to put in a couple more hours first. Makes it more credible if that's even a thing when it comes to steam reviews.

About the color blind thing: having the magnets be different shapes in addition to being different colors shouldn't be too tough of a change.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

I was super into Creeper World 3, the gameplay was unique and fun, and the plot was like a weird outsider art paperback scifi short story. I'll probably pick this up soon.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Hashy posted:

at this stage video game graphics are just visual cryptocurrency. you're spending hundreds of watts of GPU use per device calculating useless fleeting mathematical problems like realtime GI so someone can get the rush of toying with something expensive feeling? oh you're using 3000x the combined computing power of the manned mission to the moon to tessellate the water and raytrace its reflections back up the player character's skirt? like gently caress off with that poo poo. the world is dying

Otacon!?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

ARPGs are a genre that has been rapidly developed and honed since Diablo 2. Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. I wouldn't revisit the old games of the genre unless it's just a nostalgia thing. Dark Alliance was cool for its time, but it has been superseded in every possible way.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Kind of resembles Caves of Qud?

The graphics bear a similarity and both are classic roguelikes, but that's about it. This seems to be a fairly streamlined dungeon crawling experience, while Caves of Qud is a maximalist simulationist sandbox where you achieve transhumanism by reconfiguring your body with extra limbs and devices, cause liquids and gasses to interact in explosively beneficial or harmful ways, and grant sentience to inanimate objects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Weird Dreams is a pretty well known kusogame. It's just a bit over 10 minutes long, but so inscrutable that a lot of players take hours to figure out what they're supposed to be doing in each screen. You could compare it to Out Of This World / Another World, except there's no rhyme or reason to what you have to do to progress.

There's some decent and indeed weird animation and sprite work, but over $5 for a 12 minute game known for being bad is still a bit of an ask.