Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

OtspIII posted:

Yeah, I loved the idea of the game so much but the ratio of linguistics to busywork was too much for me and I bounced maybe an hour and a half in. It really didn't help how snide everyone in the setting was for some reason, either. Does the busywork die down deeper into the game?

Heavens Vault is probably the first game I’ve ever played that I felt would be better served as a visual novel. The non-archaeology gameplay was so nothingy to me I’d prefer it just auto play you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Johnny Joestar posted:

another crab's treasure actively wants you to be using your shells in combat for things like parrying and absorbing blows you would likely not do well against otherwise. a successful parry doesn't use up durability for your shell and it will build up the stagger bar on the enemy. the game even directly tells you in a variety of loading tips that if you're not using your shell then you're not going to be getting everything out of combat. it punishes trying to spam the roll because it wants you to get a feel for the attacks and not just rapidly hit a button to move away.

it's straight up been one of the most fun combat systems i've played in a game in a while, but you have to 100% engage it on it's terms and use the resources it gives you, such as your shells, your special abilities and barbed hooks.

Learning what the game expected of me and using this knowledge to beat the first boss after many failed attempts (bad at games) was the most satisfying experience i’ve had in a game in a very long time.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

Play posted:

I don't understand how to parry though. I've tried blocking at the exact right time and I'm sure I've done it but it just blocks? I'm probably badly underleveled because I didn't really waste any time leveling just went straight through.

You have to release the block just before impact to parry. It's weird and I've only ever done it by accident and flubbed the riposte.