Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1361400/Moonglow_Bay/

just released today, and after putting in a few hours i can definitely say i'm charmed by it. it's like a stardew valley-esque kinda deal that focuses entirely on fishing and cooking, with the underlying systems for those being more involved than anything in stardew valley/harvest moon without a doubt, and you're looking to revitalize an ailing bayside town by kicking the sustainable fishing industry back into gear and selling seafood dishes from your street stall so that more tourists come to visit and people move back. you get to refurbish places to get them up and running again, which provides added functions and more or less brings back a lively population to the place. i know that a fishing rpg is probably something right up some people's alley so i figured it's worth a mention.

a thing to note is that the control scheme is very much aimed towards a controller, with the keyboard controls being a little bit funky. i assume they might get ironed out more sooner or later. there also seems to be some confused people who don't understand how to parse the UI in terms of it displaying the 4 face buttons of said controller and directly showing you which one is mapped to what function, to the point where some people say you 'can't save' even though at the bottom of the screen on the save menu it directly lists which buttons do what. overall some of that UI stuff probably needs a little touching up but don't let it turn you away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, some of the UI elements probably could do with a little freshening up in terms of readability but i don't particularly understand the issues some folks are apparently having.

also in terms of countering fish movement you explicitly want to move the stick in the opposite direction that the fish is trying to go. it'll go away, left or right and you want to do the opposite. when the fish switches to a new direction you might need to give it a half second to get a feeling for where it's angling itself but it'll be one of those 3. when it's going straight away is a great time to do the yank to pull it more towards you.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/moonglowbay/status/1455958677840662531

posting it here since i brought up moonglow bay. includes an autosave feature and apparently improved keyboard controls that i haven't tried out.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

curious if they realize that dwarf fortress is getting a steam release with an updated UI and tilepack made by people working with the developers

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Karma Tornado posted:

Beacon was in one of the giant itch.io bundles a couple of years back so there's a real solid chance you already own it.

yeah, beacon is really cool and i highly recommend it, very much a fun game that i've been waiting for 1.0 on for forever

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

another crab's treasure actively wants you to be using your shells in combat for things like parrying and absorbing blows you would likely not do well against otherwise. a successful parry doesn't use up durability for your shell and it will build up the stagger bar on the enemy. the game even directly tells you in a variety of loading tips that if you're not using your shell then you're not going to be getting everything out of combat. it punishes trying to spam the roll because it wants you to get a feel for the attacks and not just rapidly hit a button to move away.

it's straight up been one of the most fun combat systems i've played in a game in a while, but you have to 100% engage it on it's terms and use the resources it gives you, such as your shells, your special abilities and barbed hooks.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Play posted:

I looked it up though and isn't it a skill you need to unlock?

Ah, thanks much.

the parry is literally one of the first things you can unlock in the skill tree

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Play posted:

All I have a shelleportation, all the rest say prerequisites not met

I'm not that far in the game, obviously. Still, a parry would've been pretty nice not sure that should be in a skill tree at all

did you not talk to the moon snail again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Play posted:

there it is, lol. I thought I'd gone through a lot of the game with only one skill unlocked

yeah i'd played the demo and had gotten a feel for some of the more 'advanced' part of the toolkit, so i definitely felt the lack when starting out. it was a relief to immediately slam in the upgrades i knew i wanted.