Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Took me an hour and a half to beat Lucifer Within Us, I didn't catch every contradiction but once you suss out enough details in a case you can steamroll to its end pretty hard once identify the likely chain of events. Still pretty fun, although I wish there was more of it with only 3 cases total.

I also made sure to purge the world of the devil's grass, lest it be allowed to sully this pure world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Superrodan posted:

Do you like The Witness, Antichamber, or Fez?

Then maybe, Sensorium is for you! It's a very small puzzle game (between 5 and 7 hours I'd estimate) made essentially as a labor of love inspired by those games and others in the "puzzle island" genre. The premise is that you have one section for each of the five traditional senses.

The game's biggest strength in my opinion is that each of the sense sections lasts around exactly how long it should (and always culminates in a puzzle that feels like it tops off that section) Between all of the sections there are also some "logic gate" puzzles that interact with the five senses in different ways. Generally, it's a really nicely crafted little experience, with almost everything you come to expect from the genre including interesting secrets and easter eggs.

The game is an indie puzzle game made nearly entirely by one person, so it can be a bit rough around the edges at times, but that's part of the charm. It's closer on the spectrum to the Antichamber side than the Fez or Witness side (which were both very, very highly polished) The person who made it did it in his spare time and released it with little fanfare or marketing. I highly recommend you check it out. Especially right now, when it's just :fivecbux:. I really think it deserves more eyes than it has had on it so this post is essentially me doing my part.

One last thing... have a notepad ready, or some easy digital method to very quickly take screenshots and notes. It's not necessary at all times, but it makes things WAY easier.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1307870/Sensorium/

Second endorsement here, Sensorium is a great game. It's got the standard "solve all the puzzles related to this mechanic" kind of thing that the Witness has, but it does also have an ur-puzzle that requires you to get out of bounds/mix together multiple senses/solve THAT GOD drat PIANO PUZZLE in order to really "beat" the game. There's a lot going on and it's a lot of fun.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

fez_machine posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1546920/Overboard/
Inkle, makers of text heavy games, 80 Days, Sorcery, and Heaven's Vault, have surprised released a new game Overboard!. It's a reverse whodunnit where the detective is the perpetrator, like Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Acroyd. The aim is to figure out how to escape being caught and get the insurance money at the end.

My mom is a huge detective novel fan of that Era and owns this Agatha Christie book, and this is finally a video game that she had interest in.

I also told my dad so he could take notes

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I haven't played Slipways but it kinda sounds like a roguelite strategy game, is that accurate?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hellllloooooo Saturday~~~

I love it when a new puzzles oriented narrative first person game comes out. It scratches that itch a little bit until Firmament comes out

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

Hellllloooooo Saturday~~~

I love it when a new puzzles oriented narrative first person game comes out. It scratches that itch a little bit until Firmament comes out

Oh. OH. I should have probably paid attention to what this was. I'm going to have a bit more stressful saturday than i expected.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Play posted:

lmao!!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158850/The_Great_Ace_Attorney_Chronicles/

This one is getting a release on steam. Apparently it's locked at 30 FPS for some unfortunate reason

Holy poo poo I didn't realize it released so soon, I had it pre-ordered. Can't wait to boot it up :buddy:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

priznat posted:

It’s pretty neat but it has some issues like not seeing enemies off screen and I hit a game breaking bug that wouldn’t let me progress past a story mission despite finishing all the sub tasks. Hopefully a patch cleans some stuff up!

Also with the Dodgeball Academia game the actual dodgeball itself is fun but I find all the walking around and dialogue (even skipping, which doesn’t really skip it) pretty boring. This is more of the Japanese game style and I bounce off those pretty hard because they do NOT respect your time.

I have this exact problem with the new remaster of that ace attorney game. I'm on case 4 and so far it's just been an hour of dialogue

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah, ace attorney is a visual novel. it's mostly just a story, with some adventure-game gameplay mixed in to enhance how the story is told

I've played them all besides this one so I knew what I was getting into, but usually you get to click on some stuff and look for clues, but so much of this one is just talking to somebody with a conversation that normally would be broken up a bit more or require me to think outside of reading text. This is all just flavor text and exposition, no "oh I should remember this important detail as it's added to the case file"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

For anybody hyped about it, I just went to preload Psychonauts 2 for tomorrow because it said August 25th release date and that poo poo is already OUT!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Maneater's Truth Quest DLC is out now. Be a shark doing regular shark things, like shooting laser beams and fighting the Illuminati.

Okay, I was lukewarm on just Shark Game but this kind of stupid poo poo is what I'm here for

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/740130/Tales_of_Arise/

Japanese Action RPG from Bandai Namco. Looks very nice at least and seems to have decent reviews if this is your thing

I really hate when a Steam page for a game gives literally no good information about the game, just generic anime action poses/setpieces and vague plot details about "breaking free" and "destined encounters"

I'm going to download the demo purely to see what the game actually looks like/plays like, and maybe get the tiniest crumb of setting/plot. If this game didn't have "Tales of" in the title, I would have dumpstered any interest in it immediately.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

Potion Craft (early access), by Niceplay Games

gently caress YEAH!

I have been waiting on this game for months, I am the only person this excited for a game about stirring a pot

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

InfiniteZero posted:

Nope, I really enjoyed the demo too. My problem is that I'd have to take time out from Deathloop to mix my potions now and I don't think I'm ready for that yet.

I'll mix up some elixirs and potions and report back if it's fun enough to spend some time away from kicking ravers into the ocean. I'm burned out on DeathLoop after playing all weekend :shepface:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Palpek posted:

Ok I played some Sable on the Game Pass and I'm not feeling it. The graphics are the best part (although object/NPC outlines are WAY more defined and visible than in the trailers) but the gameplay itself is pretty outdated imo. They basically sat down and went "so what do you do in open world games? Explore to find some repetitive collectibles and do some fetch quests, right?". You want to get that "probably cool" jet bike? Here are 3 places on the map that you have to get to in order to find the parts for it, there will be a lot of traveling with a slow piece of poo poo starting bike to them and a lot of slow climbing, you will also be sent somewhere else on a fetch quest (collect beetle asses) before you can complete part of the main story fetch quest etc. Maybe Zelda even had similar things in it but it also had enjoyable combat, detailed exploration, puzzles and a few complex systems on top of all of that, it was basically filled with interesting things to do. In this one there's a big empty map with interest points placed here and there, you can collect money and a couple of other collectibles and that's it. Some really great color palettes though that change during the day cycle, overall great work on the visual front.

I've put about 4 hours into it today and I have had more moments saying "Holy poo poo that's cool" playing it than the entire time I played BOTW. I think if you can just accept that it's about exploring, finding weird poo poo, and seeing awesome landscapes then it's a game made for you. I was annoyed with it up until I finished the tutorial area, and then I stumbled into an area that's PROBABLY intended to be a stark-contrast later-exploration zone because I always comb a map going counter-clockwise instead of clockwise, and I was floored by how starkly contrasting the environments can be.

It is definitely a third-person puzzle-platformer with zero combat and just stuff to collect in a wide open area, but I'd put it on the same level of Heaven's Vault in how invested I am in the backstory of this fictional post-hightech nomadic setting. It also has phenomenal sound design, there's a whole section that just seems off and "I shouldn't be here" that has ambient noise that reminds me of when I get low-frequency feedback on my phone's headset at work, but in a good way. It has a wide variety of sound design options that make areas feel distinct.

My main gripe is the minimap/compass/thing sucks, so trying to reorient to which way is North fucks with my navigation. I'm riding my wonky hoverbike in circles trying to find out where The Whale is.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

What happens? Does it drop the room escape/card game formula, or does it just muddy the waters further on how to play the card game?

It's on my wishlist because the demo toed the line between creepy and intriguing, but if it pivots far enough away from the base gameplay after the 2 hour refund window then that's lovely

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

I'm at about 9 hours in and it just keeps getting better and better. Things change, and I understand why some people got into the groove of the demo gameplay, but the way stuff just unfolds is outstanding IMHO. You're still doing the cardgame as your main way to interact with the game, and you still have to pay attention to environmental clues to find secrets. I might be in a third act now but I'm not really sure. Even if I am, I can see myself repeating this a number of times to diverge on some very obvious forks in the road. There a several overlaid mysteries that have me curious and I'm unable to put it down.

Unless there's a huge letdown coming up this will be my game of the year.

This is exactly what I was hoping for, I liked the dev's previous works for how they can string together lots of elements so as long as it doesn't take a hard turn and never look back at the demo's kind of content, I'll be happy.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's basically a Telltale game, but horror themed and usually a twist, meanwhile there's breaks between acts so a smug narrator can talk down to you

They're alright, although I'll probably just watch John Wolfe play it as background noise over the weekend while cleaning my living room. I think he's the only horror channel that doesn't lean into the "OH MY GOSH GUYS THIS IS SO SCARY" shtick

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

priznat posted:

I watched JackFrags stream the GotG game and it looks better than the Avengers one but the off brand voice actors and likenesses just weird me out for some reason. It’s dumb because the characters have looked different in comics etc but I guess the MCU has just broken me.

Jim Stephanie Sterling gave a review of it, it's got great accessibility options like Control did and the combat is very much Mass Effect/Dragon Age Inquisition where you'll have to eventually memorize the 16 moves (4 each) your party members has to synergize together.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813630/Supraland/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522870/Supraland_Six_Inches_Under/

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox. Literally, you're a tiny Meeple from Team Red that has to go solve a bunch of problems caused by Team Blue that are fundamentally breaking things in the sandbox the game takes place in. Every main upgrade you get in the game is a slap to the face in how you move in the world, everything changes and has you look at navigation/optional puzzles from an entirely new perspective. The original game was made largely by one person and billed itself as a majority exploration/puzzle game, with a small amount of combat that wasn't great. How I would bill the game, is that it is the secret-seekers Nirvana. If you get a dopamine kick out of breaking out of Mario Odyssey's intended boundaries so you can stack up a bunch of coins, or leave a Luigi balloon there to confuse and intimidate others, Supraland is your game. In Supraland, you get the stack of coins, and then you discover a curated puzzle based off the exploit/difficult movement you just did! There are puzzles hidden in secrets that are itself a secret in a puzzle that you completed a while ago, but now that you know you can burn cardboard, there might be a new secret puzzle to go find while you're exploring with your new movement options.

Supraland: Six Inches Under is a pseudo-sequel to the original, originally planned to be the 2nd DLC but ultimately ended up being an onboarding process for Supraland going from a one-person project to a team of people working on it, from sound design to model design to everything inbetween. The design perspective is supposed to lean heavily into the exploration and discovery aspect from the first game, so an area from Hour 1 might become relevant later, but instead of you stumbling on one puzzle there could be a whole series of puzzles to discover. There's also supposed to be much less of, and improved, combat in the game.

Supraland and the Supraland Crash DLC are permanently embedded in my Top 10 Games of All Time, so if you're the kind of person who jams their face into every wall hoping to find some Duke Nukem or Doom secret passages, you will probably like this game.

E: It is now available :sickos:

E2: I have 15% completion overall, and I just got the yellow upgrade. My brain now hurts. One of the biggest traversal upgrades just got a new upgrade that completely changes what you can do. :psyduck: The upgrade that lets you float next to any metal object now has the ability to point in any direction while floating and loving BOOST anywhere you want. :psyduck: :psyduck:

bawk fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 14, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Swilo posted:

I completely forgot this was coming out and was the best kind of surprised when I saw it released, if it's even half as good as the first then it's easily worth double the price.

They made the mindfucky levitation power more mindfucky

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

thecluckmeme posted:

My potential GOTY is dropping in around 40 minutes, so I'm going to pass the time before it's available hyping it up. I'll post the original game and the new game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/813630/Supraland/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1522870/Supraland_Six_Inches_Under/

Supraland is a first-person Metroidvania where the majority of the game is set up around puzzles using wildly varying movement mechanics in a sandbox. Literally, you're a tiny Meeple from Team Red that has to go solve a bunch of problems caused by Team Blue that are fundamentally breaking things in the sandbox the game takes place in. Every main upgrade you get in the game is a slap to the face in how you move in the world, everything changes and has you look at navigation/optional puzzles from an entirely new perspective. The original game was made largely by one person and billed itself as a majority exploration/puzzle game, with a small amount of combat that wasn't great. How I would bill the game, is that it is the secret-seekers Nirvana. If you get a dopamine kick out of breaking out of Mario Odyssey's intended boundaries so you can stack up a bunch of coins, or leave a Luigi balloon there to confuse and intimidate others, Supraland is your game. In Supraland, you get the stack of coins, and then you discover a curated puzzle based off the exploit/difficult movement you just did! There are puzzles hidden in secrets that are itself a secret in a puzzle that you completed a while ago, but now that you know you can burn cardboard, there might be a new secret puzzle to go find while you're exploring with your new movement options.

Supraland: Six Inches Under is a pseudo-sequel to the original, originally planned to be the 2nd DLC but ultimately ended up being an onboarding process for Supraland going from a one-person project to a team of people working on it, from sound design to model design to everything inbetween. The design perspective is supposed to lean heavily into the exploration and discovery aspect from the first game, so an area from Hour 1 might become relevant later, but instead of you stumbling on one puzzle there could be a whole series of puzzles to discover. There's also supposed to be much less of, and improved, combat in the game.

Supraland and the Supraland Crash DLC are permanently embedded in my Top 10 Games of All Time, so if you're the kind of person who jams their face into every wall hoping to find some Duke Nukem or Doom secret passages, you will probably like this game.

E: It is now available :sickos:

E2: I have 15% completion overall, and I just got the yellow upgrade. My brain now hurts. One of the biggest traversal upgrades just got a new upgrade that completely changes what you can do. :psyduck: The upgrade that lets you float next to any metal object now has the ability to point in any direction while floating and loving BOOST anywhere you want. :psyduck: :psyduck:

I am most of the way through this game, around 70% completion, but if you ever liked poking around a game to see something hidden in a nook or corner, I recommend the first game. If you like finding the skulls from Halos, this is your bag. I just discovered a way to get outside the normal game map, and it rewarded me with a series of puzzles that tested my knowledge of how they worked, I learned some new things that they already do, and then told me "do all this this poo poo again but without that basic, always-needed upgrade." So there is a LOT of game here.

It is admittedly rougher when you get to the postgame stuff in the first game, and the first DLC was my first pick for "Best First Person Metroid Vania." This goes well beyond it, but it ran where Supraland-Crash walked. This is absolutely my GOTY unless Inscryption adds an Act 4 and 5 somehow

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

This game, like the prequel is incredibly fun. Apparently I spent 24 hours to 100% it this weekend.

I'm at 70% at 14 hours in and I am fully in :psyduck: mode right now

I have four upgrades left to find. I have the one that helps you find chests. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Fun fact! You can BIG SPOILER use the Force Cube in lava. If you walk to the edge of the cube and press F, it drops another one. You have infinite movement across lava! That was not the intended solution to the puzzle behind the Obsidian blocks at the front of cagetown! I have since solved that puzzle, but now I have no idea what I'm supposed to do for the purple rings that are completely offset from each other to unlock what looks like some weird rear end ritual room past Minecraft Steve and all that lava!

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing supraland for the first time. It's very fun

I'll say this for anybody that hasn't played it yet.

Play Supraland first. It has a very annoying but quickly mitigated jump mechanic that you solve with a triple jump that is about the height of a normal jump. The game really wants you to use a weird cube to go an average game jump's height, but controlled to flat surfaces with a slow rise. Abuse this constantly along with the triple jump, you will find minor upgrades in places that you technically shouldn't be able to get to, but you abused the game mechanics to get someplace fun. Try to find the upgrade around where you find the Red MacGuffin that lets you destroy the wooden crosses, it will cut down on the annoying enemy spawns, which is the worst part about OG Supraland.

Supraland Crash mixes things up by (spoiler if you want to go in completely blind, this affects OG Supraland's upgrades as well) Reversing the order you get the upgrades. You get a proper jump immediately! It loving rules! The navigation in this game is so satisfying! OG Supraland spoiler: This was the end-all-be-all of Supraland upgrades, because it was locked behind an extremely difficult Tower Defense-style minigame available from the start, but only possible without cheesing if you weren't in the endgame. You get a good jump, while having a triple jump. It ruled. Crash just hands it to you, without the triple jump

Six Inches Under hits a nice medium between the two, but Six Inches Under improved upon Crash which improved upon Supraland. If you play them in-order, you'll better appreciate how it's gone from one person designing the game to a whole team editing his decisions on what constitutes as fun.

It also has an entire sequence of puzzles that requires one single, basic upgrade that you will be reliant on throughout it, and then stops you and says "Try doing that again. But without that upgrade. It's 100% possible." When you cross that finish line, that poo poo makes you feel accomplished

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Did you revisit the new village recently? Because there is some stuff which only spawned long after I thought I was done there.
I am pretty sure that I know at least one of the more obscure upgrades you're missing. Hint: Burn Everything! Let the purifying flames feed on all that's precious!

When you say new village, do you mean the one on the surface?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Duly noted :devil:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I'll probably make a Supraland thread when I'm done gawking over it in the next few days.

I'm just reporting that I solved an endgame puzzle backwards. It gave me the option, I didn't find the right entrance point to solving it, and ended up traversing almost the entire map through specific points to arrive at a certain door with a very specific flag to open it. I got it open, and realized that I am stuck at the bottom of an enemy gauntlet that I cannot kill because I didn't drop in from the top of the gauntlet. I feel infinitely clever, and simultaneously like a dumbass. I feel like that's the Supraland motto in a nutshell.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Oenis posted:

I'm at ~14h playtime with 59% completion, just beat the questline but I'm a bit stumped where the postgame content stuff is? There's a nook in the lava area I haven't explored, with the minecraft steve, but I'm stumped on the 2/1 purple rings puzzle. the rings activate on a force cube, but it feels like I need a cool down upgrade to make it work or something. You can use the force beam on the wood, but I don't see how that helps.

Also I found a grey key on the outside of cagetown, but I don't remember where the lock is.

Anyone can push me in the right directions?

If you finished the boss, go back to cagetown and go to the third floor. There's a "maze" underneath the ramp up to it if you haven't been up there yet. There's one more sequence to get through before you reach the full postgame, and some postgame upgrades with things to hunt for across the whole game in a house up there.

For the first puzzle near Steve, there's a post-game area with a lot of puzzles in a row that test your knowledge with all the tools in your arsenal you will have without post-game upgrades. It's located in the area behind the fifth pipe, and to get to it you'll need to abuse the verticality you can get with the cube and the green gun to get over pretty short cliffs. It reintroduces a mechanic from the first game where things aren't the right color, and need to be recolored by putting a similarly colored item into the pipe. Look straight down at the ground, then look back at the pipe. You should be able to figure out how to get all three rings to go at once at that point. You cannot finish that room until you find scrap metal.

The grey key lock is just inside cagetown to your left. Poke around a little bit, it should be obvious but there's no reason to go there unless you're lighting candles.

If somebody else wants to make a Supraland thread that would be cool, otherwise I'll try to make one tonight because there really shouldn't be spoiler bars in this thread, and it is a secret-heavy game

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I should clarify, when I said "that room" I meant the room behind that three ring puzzle, not the room with the pipe. I think you can get everything in that particular postgame puzzle sequence without any bonus upgrades, you just have to flex your brain a bit.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Control Volume posted:

Hey, quick question for the regulars of this thread since I dont follow game news much, have there been any other recent games that are in a similar vein as La Mulana?

:objection:

Control Volume posted:

And yes Im already sold on the Supraland sequel

:hai:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Broken Reality is "less" of a puzzle game as Supraland for the cross-world endgame puzzles but is still full of interesting movement options and puzzles with a neat aesthetic. Plus it's by the Hypnospace Outlaw devs.

Paradise Killer is a good exploration game with much easier puzzles and wildly weird story that tie into its core themes, but its ending is a bit meh. Fantastic aesthetic. I might have a bias toward vaporwave aesthetic.

I'm much more of an FPS exploration game kind of person so I'm not sure if either of those really hit the LA Mulana threshold, but they're good!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I made a Supraland thread so we can stop posting pages of spoiler text in the new games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991263

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

ymgve posted:

Not sure how you managed to connect Hypnospace Outlaw and Broken Reality, but as far as I know they are made by two entirely different companies. Also Broken Reality has a few game breaking softlocks that will never be fixed as it appears the devs have abandoned the game for years.

They share an aesthetic that was part of a steam sale bundle I didn't realize was just based on aesthetic, and they're both pretty good games so i assumed. That was a mistake. I made an rear end out of OH GOD

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Why would anybody make a thread for a flash roguelike game that incentivises you to constantly restart to shape an ideal run, like that could ever result in a game constantly expanding and improving upon itself until it grows into something that people will have triple-digit hour playtimes over years of improvements?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

For anyone still playing the epic, meltdown-inducing short game known as Vampire Survivors, there's some new content if you opt into the beta - two more evolved weapons and a new pickup:

I just reached my first half-hour run in the Library. It took a legion of banshee suicide bombers to finally put an end to my reign

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

If you got killed by banshees, you didn't make it to a half-hour. edit: unless something was changed in the patch, of course

I did only have the Magic Wand in its final form, everything else was fully upgraded for the first time, so I could be wrong. I had the bird + holy water + magic wand + fire wand + prism with I believe some duplicators and a bunch of cooldown-lowering upgrades. I glanced up at 27:00 and kept going a fair bit after that, I was basically surrounded by a ring of bird lasers, a full circle of fiery holy water circles that rotated looking like a "still buffering" wheel, and anything that got close enough to get through all of that BS was either zapped by the holy wand or the 5 prisms that were bouncing around like the DVD player logo. The fire was honestly the biggest misstep, I should have grabbed a bible or garlic. I tried to get a screenshot just before they finally circled in enough to break past my defenses, but the steam overlay wasn't working to check what time it was earlier so when I hit F12 it didn't do anything, but at that point I was just clicking to get that extra 25 coins per level after killing every major enemy and occasionally walking far enough to hoover up the red gems from the blue-outlined bats and other odd things that drop red gems.

E: I read the other thread and I think I may have died while hearing a bunch of banshees without realizing how I died. That was probably my 12th run through on normal mode, and I'll keep talking about this perfect podcast game over there instead

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That was my biggest issue with Hades, to be honest. If I enter a room, and kill the enemies in that room, I'm done with that room. I want to move on and explore. If there's more than one wave of enemies, regardless of how you're going to mix it up on me with how those new enemies exist in this room, just include that as an alternate option for me to tackle. Pepper them in, make a gradient with those enemies in this room as an option. I'm done with this room, move me the gently caress on.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

goferchan posted:

I've already gushed about this in several other threads but after playing for a few days I'm confident this one is truly something special. Unless they really drop the ball at the end it will probably be a strong contender in my top list for "games where you wish you could wipe your memory and play them all over again".

I was surprised at how difficult the combat was at first, but I was ramming my face into places i obviously wasn't equipped for

Also got jumpscared by spiders. I thought two moblins was bad with a stick, try six spiders with just a sword as they swarm you from all sides. I will give them credit, these are the best-designed spiders to not trigger arachnophobia outside of, like, Grounded where they explicitly designed accessibility options to customize out the parts of spiders that trigger your arachnophobia

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Tunic is really good. I sort of got stuck at one point and was confused for an hour, but so far I like it. Movement feels a bit slow though.

If you roll once and hold the button down, you sprint

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain Hygiene posted:

Huh, I've been seeing a bunch of praise for this and had it on my interest list, that's not good to hear.

It looks and feels aesthetically like the re-release of Links Awakening but in practice it is a lot more like a modern action game like Dark Souls. You can eventually upgrade your attack/defense/etc and find useful spells, but important items are buried in places. I generally play exploration games by rubbing my face against every wall and corner, and this game still has had some clever shortcuts that existed the whole time, but only one side of it was obvious. I could have been running around with a shield way earlier than I was if I just found one weird shortcut

So it's a soulslike, but cutesy and isometric

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

The most recent thing that is like it I would say is Death's Door, although I bounced off of Death's Door and am fully engrossed with Tunic. I think the charm of the game and how you discover it's mechanics helps carry it. It's on gamepass at the least so its a worth a shot if you have that :shrug:

I'm currently prioritizing it over Elden Ring, and I've been itching for an open world exploration game.