Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Rusty posted:

Outpost: Infinity Siege

This is some sort of mash up of FPS, tower defense, base building, and extraction shooter. It has mostly negative reviews mainly it seems due to performance, but it also has 10k playing right now.

I just got this. I've only played solo and on the campaign. It's a little janky, but fun so far.

Hyper Inferno posted:

The reviews are also pegging it as way too grindy and not focused enough on the base-building and gunplay parts. I was looking forward to this game for multiplayer and there's also complaints that only the host gets meaningful progress in multiplayer. This all seems fixable over time by tweaking numbers and how multiplayer works and if that all gets settled it'll be much more appealing to me.

Seems accurate from the limited amount of time I've played this. So far most of the game has been about searching a small map for stuff and hauling it back to your base to extract. It's a game that tries to do a lot. It's not perfect, but it's fun for the $20 I spent on it through Green Man Gaming.

The voice acting is pretty terrible, though. No amount of number tweaking is going to fix that, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hyper Inferno posted:

Is it better in Chinese or is it English only voice acting?

I've only played it with English voice acting. It does have Chinese voice, but I prefer to have it in English just so I know what is being said if I don't notice an onscreen message.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rusty posted:

Outpost: Infinity Siege

This is some sort of mash up of FPS, tower defense, base building, and extraction shooter. It has mostly negative reviews mainly it seems due to performance, but it also has 10k playing right now.

Requoting to give goons a quick rundown of this game: It is janky, cheesy, tries to do way to much, and I loving love it. Want a podcast and chill game? This is it. Want to play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. but the game the game is too opaque and random? This game gives you a safe spot to retreat to and save your stuff. Want to build a base but are afraid of the complexity of other games? This is a simplified version. Want to recruit NPCs to go on missions while you are scavenging for loot? Here it is. Want to pilot a loving mecha and shoot big dumb robots? If you build it, you can do it.

This had a trailer that makes it look like a AAA game, but it's more like AA or A+. The devs have been updating like crazy to get rid of the initial bugs. I've been playing nonstop and I see slight changes and adjustments every day. If anyone is into playing the game, here are my suggestions for not rage-quitting or making progress-losing/stupid mistakes:

Starting Out: Don't grind too much before completing mission
1) Use your main character (Fae) for early or risky missions because he literally has plot armor (you won't lose him if you fail, but you might lose some/all of your gear). Other operatives aren't as lucky.
2) Ammo is scarce, so use and abuse Fae's Free Fire ability where he can shoot unlimited bullets for a small amount of time. You can also upgrade it so that every time you kill an enemy by hitting a weakpoint it extends the time, meaning unlimited unlimited bullets. :D
3) You have to progress the main campaign to unlock more features, so don't sell any of the big valuables you retrieve from exploration days (radsource extract, composite fiber container, alloy components, etc.) because you can sell them for the game's currency once you unlock the store).

Recovery Day & Extraction: It's no loving joke
1) The more you load up to recover, the longer and more difficult the extraction will be. However, what you carry in your backpack doesn't count in that calculation, and you bring back what you carry. So...
2) You can lower the extraction difficulty by extracting low-value items and holding onto the high-value ones. In early game, that'll mean extracting whites and greens while holding onto blues and purples. As you build up your base.
3) There is a big difference in difficulty between novice/trivial and easy. So even if you can extract from trivial on its highest difficulty, easy can still ruin your day.
4) Start with a low-difficulty extraction so that you can explore the map. There are a lot of resources there to help you, like friendly cannons, ammo stashes, and cannons you can man. It makes the higher difficulty runs easier.
5) The only thing that needs to survive is the "core" and your base will be rebuilt at no cost after each extraction.

Exploration: Your outposts and area scan are your best friends
1) When you first land in a spot, area scan will tell you where all the goodies are hidden. The indicators only stay up for a few minutes, with the exception of quest items. Those stay up permanently.
2) Bring detectors or scan gloves because finding things you can pick up are often hard to make out from the environment.
3) You don't have to kill every enemy on the map. Conserve ammo and use Free Fire. You can make it in your outpost at 100 material/1 box, but those are more useful for arming your outpost's turrets (which WILL run out of bullets).
4) When in doubt, book it back to base if you feel outgunned or outnumbered. You can build turrets on your base and they will make quick work of exploration enemies.
5)There are lots of jumping/throwing puzzles in the game, like platform-jumping up a tower or tossing energy balls into a basket to charge a device.

Home Base and Operatives: Different features unlock as you progress through the main campaign, like tech research, base building, and recruiting and using operatives. You can and should use and abuse these features because they really do help.
Tech Research: You will unlock new base upgrades and consumables through the campaign and found blueprints. These cost tech points to research. Before you do anything too expensive (like 40+), you want to unlock the base management features and use operatives to reduce point cost and research time (days spent exploring and extracting).

Base Building: The base will tell you the direction that most enemies attack at (i.e. the front), but you will get flanked at higher difficulties. Start by putting your turrets in front so they can focus fire at the front and then start fanning out to the sides and back. Certain upgrades can affect the amount of materials (building currency when out exploring/extracting) and power (exploration currency) that your outpost has.

Recruiting Operatives: There are 2 ways to get new operatives: 1) local operatives (from the intelligence center) and 2) specialty purchase (from the barracks). Local operatives need to be "field tested" before you can recruit them (so do a simple novice run). Specialty purchases need a special item you can find from exploring or on the field, and are ready to deploy once purchased.

Using Operatives: So far there are 3 ways to use operatives. You can level them out on the field (and they all have different traits, making them unique from Fae), send them out on NPC missions that can gather resources or get them killed, or deploy them on your base to boost different activities. That last one is KEY. You can use it to reduce the cost and time of Tech Research, NPC missions, and buying stuff through the trade port. Use and abuse this system, especially for trading. You gather gold on the field (basic currency), and you can use it to buy stuff from vendors at the trade port. If you deploy all of them to the market, you get more items to pick from and reduced refresh cost. Best thing? You can redeploy them wherever you want AFTERWARD. It saves you a ton of gold and a ton of time.

You CAN (and most likely will) find yourself in a position where you die. It sucks because you will lose stuff. However, you can always find more. I haven't beaten the game yet because I made stupid mistakes. I'm hoping this helps any goons interested in playing the game.

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 31, 2024

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Rusty posted:

I ended up buying based on this review, so thanks. I haven't played yet, but the devs seem to be updating this game daily so I am giving it a shot.

I hope you enjoy it! It's janky and really feels limited in the beginning, but I think it's because the main campaign is literally the tutorial.

haddedam posted:

The Outpost reviews seem to be bad mostly from people misunderstanding the game and not playing past first 10 minutes. I am curious about the game and will be checking it out.

I am no expert, but I can make a game thread.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Outpost: Infinity Siege thread made:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057536

I posted what I've learned so far as I play through the campaign, and I'm STILL unlocking new features. I guarantee that most of the people who reviewed this game never got past the easy level, lmao.