Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fat Samurai posted:

No combat, at least on this version. I think they'll add it eventually.

Yeah, their FAQ says they will add enemies and combat at some point

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1366540/discussions/0/3111392579687729387/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jimlit posted:

It's pretty good. I'd say on par with the forest as far as co-op survival games go.

How is it solo?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Thanks for the info! I don't know if I'll pick it up right now but it's one to keep an eye on for sure

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Pssst. Hey. Hey, you. Huniepop 2 is out.

It's up to you what you do with this information. It's up to you to decide if you are the type of person this information applies to.

I just thought you might like to know.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Terminally Bored posted:

The roguelike thread didn't have much good to say about this one. ADOM is a classic but incredibly flawed, with obtuse design and some really weird decisions.

I feel like switching it to a single dungeon might actually help a lot of the problems with original ADOM, but the reviews on the early access version seem like it is EXTREMELY early access right now. Like "maybe should have been in closed beta for awhile still" early access.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

skeleton warrior posted:

For those who haven’t tried it - it’s probably the closest thing to Subnautica I’ve played, assuming Subnautica was written by people with the sense of humor of Russian thirteen-year-olds.

But basically you have to constantly maneuver in an environment that you’re slowly dying in and that occasionally wants to quickly kill you, trying to find pieces you can use to build new equipment so that the environment will kill you even slower the next time you step into space, which always felt close to Subnautica’s gameplay loop. The difference is that in Subnautica you explored fascinatingly designed alien undersea environments and biologies while synth music plays, and in Breathedge you explore dark immature humor tableaus like the corpse of a guy who farted himself out of an airlock while Soviet choirs and orchestras bombast at you.

They teased the idea that maybe they’d allow you to build a base or a craft or something, again a la Subnautica, but hadn’t fleshed it out in their latest pre-release update, but that was months ago, so maybe now it has that.

Yeah, I played it for about an hour and ended up refunding it. It wasn't bad, it just didn't do anything more than so many other games of this type and the humor really fell flat for me. And I usually like dumb humor. I'll just wait for the new Subnautica to come out. Actually, I been eyeing Stationeers in the survival game niche, I've been watching an LP of that thing and it seems insane. Of course, Stationeers has also been in early access for like four years...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

this looks kind of dope and it came out of nowhere, also

• Commentary by Ian Riccaboni and Colt Cabana

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Wasn't this the guy who when some Kickstarter about the same thing totally failed, he went "gently caress it, that game sounds awesome, I'll just make it myself instead?" If so, that's really cool, I had no idea he was still working on it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I really like the look of this, very bizarre. Grid based roguelike mixed with farming mixed with a murder mystery?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

StrixNebulosa posted:

A terror game where you experience the stress of making decisions.

Truly my worst nightmare

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
This looks interesting, still early access:

Ecosystem

quote:

Ecosystem isn't just a video game version of the laws of ecology with pre-made fish models. The simulation actually determines the creatures in the game: their bodies, how they swim, and how they think and behave. All the creatures in the trailer evolved on their own in the game; none were hand-edited!

Virtual creatures evolve on their own to adapt to an environment you create
At Ecosystem's heart are evolving virtual lifeforms, who grow from synthetic DNA and live in a physically-simulated ocean. This synthetic DNA encodes everything about a creature, from skeletal structure to skin, from joint-types to mental processes. The genetic code of a creature can mutate, combine, be spliced with other species, and be directly modified by the player.

Creatures' nervous systems evolve along with their bodies
Creature brains are also encoded in DNA and subject to evolution. The neurology of a virtual lifeform is a pipeline computer where, every moment, data from sense organs is passed through a network of neurons and finally contracts a muscle in a specific body part.

Movement is bound by the laws of fishics
To swim, creatures don't just play an animation. They move like real sea-life, applying torque at their joints to push against the water in a way coordinated to propel themselves forward. Working within this physical simulation, evolution can produce an enormous variety of body shapes and swimming styles.

Play for thousands of hours and never see the same animal twice!
A wide variety of different creature populations share a single environment, where they swim, graze, prey on each other, and have children. The fittest creatures pass their genes along to their children, and over time a world of strange and unique creatures is born...

Right now, it doesn't appear that there's any goals in the game or anything, just create and watch messed up fish critters, but I've always liked these kind of virtual evolution things.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Plebian Parasite posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1533050/Press_Ctrl/

Press control, then control a character and have him press control, then have your character control another character and have him press control, then have your character's character...

Steam Review posted:

Recommended
0.1 hrs on record
POSTED: MARCH 16
Took me exactly 5 minutes to rage quit. 10/10

Looking at the video on Steam, this looks like something that would totally cause my brain to rupture.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

pmchem posted:

has anyone bought "Mr. Prepper" yet? this game looks hilarious:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/761830/Mr_Prepper/

curious as to goon reviews, but search isn't turning anything up (I do see the link in the post above)

I got it yesterday and played for about two hours. It's..okay, I guess? The base building part of it wasn't as robust as I would have liked. So far, really the only things I've built below ground were a place to put my workshop and storage chest and a few farm plots. There didn't really seem to be any reason to build much more yet, although I suppose more things will become available. But it didn't seem to matter much where you put stuff or anything, it was just checking boxes of "I need somewhere to dump this thing." Well, it did matter where I put the lights near the plants, and I placed too many lights which caused all my power to go out so I had to go disconnect a lamp upstairs, that was neat, I suppose.

The hunger and tiredness mechanics are kind of severe and I think that's why I didn't enjoy it all too much. You start with some food and you can grow more in your farm plots, but that requires both seeds and water and you have to buy seeds or find them as part of quests. Water you get from the sink except you get a limited supply and they were about to shut off my water for some reason in the game. I could place traps in the forest and that got me a little bit of food, but for the traps I need bait which again, I had to buy. Getting money is hard -- you can sell certain things through your mailbox but money for me was tight which led to food being tight, and constructing something to sell for money took most of the day which meant I was burning food while trying to make money to get food. I could eat blueberries in the forest for free but those didn't give much. You can cook more nourishing meals using the oven but those mostly need water which I also need for my crops. It's all that kind of balancing which I found kind of stressful without being a whole lot of fun. It probably gets easier in the late game once you get the systems down and I made some mistakes early on like letting some food spoil, so it may be easier if you know what you are doing, but this is first impressions.

Weirdly, the early part of the game relied a lot more on quests than I would expect. I had to go to a forest and clear some wolves away from a cabin for a lady (the combat in this game is just awful, by the way), and that gave me the seed dealer, and then I had to go to a mine and fix an elevator which opened up the mine and gave me a guy who will sell me stone. These seem to be resource gathering areas. I need to bring mushrooms from the mine back to the herb lady, I haven't found any of those yet, and send a book to some other guy through the mail, and I think I have some other side quest. The side quest stuff isn't bad, but it is also pretty linear, which I think would hurt any replayability. I think the end game goal is always going to be the same, to build a rocket to escape, although I'm not 100% sure on that since the planning board had a slot for what my "inspiration" was and maybe it is possible to get something else to put in there. But you get the rocket picture pretty early and the game points you toward that.

Every so often the government guy comes and checks your house, and you need to make sure all your contraband stuff is hidden and you've covered up the hatch to your bunker. I thought I hid everything, but I was still getting a fairly bad/suspicious rating, although not enough to get arrested. It might have been because I disassembled some stuff in the house and also because I disconnected a couple lamps, but I don't know. I did get a letter that was like "we expect you to have this many of these things in the house" but gently caress, I'm not going to go count everything to see what I can use for resources. They do warn you on the calendar when the government guy is coming so you know when to hide your stuff.

The political messaging is all over the place. You live in "Murrica County" and the political dictator's signs and stuff have red coloring, so that would seem to be parodying the right, but then you are living in a dystopian world "after the plague" where your freedoms have been taken away and so that feels like more of a far right sentiment. I wasn't sure if all that would put me off, but I think the game is made by people outside the US and it all just seems to be window dressing for the most part without much to actually say. Like, the government agents who come to visit you are generic Men in Black/G Man types, not any clear political affiliation. It can be a little offputting but it didn't seem actively offensive, just sort of dumb.

I guess the above sounds pretty negative. It wasn't terrible, and it only cost me $13 or so since I bought it as part of the bundle with House Flipper and I already own House Flipper. For that price, it's okay. But I also see myself maybe playing through it to the end goal once and then not picking it up again unless the late game gets way more interesting.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1044980/Mech_Mechanic_Simulator/

Mech Mechanic Simulator, I think there was a demo or it was in EA before or something? Looks cool if you like stuff like Car Mechanic Simulator.

$19.99 normal, 10% off right now, but has a "loyalty discount" until April 1 so if you own any of a whole bunch of other games (including Car Mechanic Sim, Drug Dealer Sim, Gold Rush, Thief Sim, Mr Prepper, House Flipper, Cooking Sim), there's another 20% off that stacks with the 10%, so it's only $13.99. Even if it's just derivative of those other games, I'll probably pick it up at that price.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 25, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Plebian Parasite posted:

Hades-like (is this a thing now?) Dandy Ace just got released.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1037130/Dandy_Ace/

I was going to scoff a little and say come on, we're just talking about roguelikes, but then I pulled it up and drat that just looks like a re-skin of Hades.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://store.steampowered.com/app/980640/Empire_of_Ember/

In Early Access

quote:

A secret enemy launches a surprise attack on your home, viciously murdering your wizard master and leaving your city in ruins. No longer an apprentice, you must take charge of a magical kingdom and rule as you see fit.

Fight
Use the environment to crush, trip, impale, or explode enemies.
Raise up fallen enemies and command the undead to fight on your behalf.
Fully destructible cities. Use catapults to fire from afar, or blast through the walls and lead your troops through the breach.

Command
Lead your army in first person, in battles of up to a hundred units.
Tactics matter. Order your men to hold the line with a shield wall while archers rain death from above. Teleport behind enemy lines to wreak havoc.

Build
Design, decorate, and defend your own fully destructible 3D city. Strategically place spawn points to rain fire from high towers while melee units defend the gates.
Integrated sharing. Download, destroy, and rate other players’ cities.

Rule
Make decisions that can change the story and lead to different game endings. Features a story written by Patrick Kevin Day, a former lead writer from Telltale Games.
Hold court and pass judgement on daily events in the lives of your subjects.

Looks pretty cool. Described in a user review as "Dark Messiah of Might and Magic meets Mount and Blade" which sounds dope to me.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yeah, I’ve been watching someone on YouTube play this and it seems too tedious for me, and I’m someone who loves tedious simulator games.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

victrix posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038370/Trials_of_Fire/

Trials of Fire is out of early access

It's an unusual mix of genres, but it pulls it off pretty successfully I think, I played and enjoyed it during early access

The meat of the game is turn based combat using cards, so if those aspects tickle your fancy you should check it out

Seeing really good reviews on this. I wasn't sure if I wanted another deckbuilder right now, but it looks like it has enough different stuff going for it that it is worth a look. Especially at the $15 price point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1380629877431369732?s=20

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The reviews are in!

looks like a winner

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Along with this, the base game is on sale for 60%, and the first expansion for 50% off. You can all three as a bundle for under $20. I might pick it up, I liked the first AI War and it's certainly different as these type of games go.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Samopsa posted:

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/unexplored-2

Unexplored 2 Early Acces just dropped exclusive on Epic, and now you also get a renewable coupon for 10 bucks off, so it's only 8 bucks at the moment! Absolutely loved the first one, this seems different but still rad.

Oh, I'll have to grab this, the first one was really cool.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1405730/Alchemy_Emporium/

quote:

Alchemy Emporium is a fantasy management game, where you play as a promising alchemist in a dynamic world with procedurally generated potions.

Buy ingredients, turn them into potions and sell them for a profit!

Companions
Over the course of your adventure, you will be accompanied by companions such as Dragons, Imps, skeletons and many more! Hire them and level them up upgrading their skills.

Procedural system
The procedural system generates completely different concoctions for every single game. Each time, you will live a totally new experience, discovering new powerful blends!
A dynamic events, quests, and weather system will throw new challenges your way all the time!

Perks
Spend some time reading the rare knowledge tomes in the library and upgrade your character with over 228 different skills! Then, keep those books in your library for future reference, or sell them in the shop.

Milestones
Complete milestones to earn skill points!
The goals your business partners will assign you are generated parametrically, offering over 1 million possibilities, making every game unique.

Sabotages
The world of Alchemy is hard and devious, all alchemists will try anything to be successful. Great prices and potions aren't enough to get ahead, you’ll need to attack your rivals before they have a chance to attack you. Choose a sabotage and recruit a saboteur, but careful not to get caught: for every action there is an equal and opposite revenge!

Much more
There are so many things you’ll be able to do in your new alchemy emporium: with over 18,000 different potions to be discovered, choose the partner that best suits your strategy and launch your enterprise together, select the starting village and secret order, prepare advertising campaigns to lure customers, organize weeks according to events, such as village markets or jousting tournaments, and exploit any weather bonus or penalty to your advantage!

Looks interesting, although I'm waiting for it to get some reviews.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ohhhh yeah that is potentially pretty cool, I keep ending up being disappointed in every alchemy game that isn't atelier but maybe this one will be different :praying emoji:

The Only Current Steam Review posted:

Lets start with the objective stuff: The game has no video options, no way to put it into window mode or change resolution. Some of the text is not translated and still shows up as what I think is italian. The actual translation is readable, if wonky at times.

On the more "your mileage may vary" side, the game has little to no strategic depth. You slap three ingredients against each other until you get a potion via trial and error. Initially this is doable, having access to about 10 of them. But as early as reaching level 2, suddenly you have dozens upon dozens. The game does track for you if you already tried a combination, but there is simply no excitement into randomly mushing stuff together until it makes a viable potion.

Potion effects are unknown until you "taste" them. They have to be successfully tasted twice before you can confirm an effect. The success rate here depends on your taste skill. Tasting can result into you getting sick and losing the rest of your week. I was unable to confirm a single effect in about an hour of play, which also means having no idea what ingredient does what, adding a further point to the "You are playing as an alchemist that has literally no idea what shes doing".

All of this would be "okay", if not for the fact that you are not told what customers actually want. No, really. During sales, a customer walks up and the window shows potions applicable to their demand, but whether they reject it, buy it but dislike it, or buy and like it is not something you can viably track. I've had a full counter and shelves of about 8-10 different potion types. I was low on money and scheduled about 6 sales action in a row. I was able to sell exactly ONE potion out of the lot, with no idea what the other customers wanted. The game lets you "postpone" customers to come back next week, but if I have no idea what they want, how am I supposed to tell what to mix for them in the first place?

This is AFTER a lot of the tutorials not explaining certain things. What does getting intoxicated do? No idea until it happens, and even then the effect seems vague. No explanation on you being able to "Overschedule", and what that does. Apparently it has a random chance to make you lose workdays? The stats are not sufficiently explained either

The search continues...

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

Tainted Grail: Conquest
Also there's a big new expansion for Conan: Exiles

I've been playing this over the weekend, and I think it's quite good if you like roguelite deckbuilders. There's an overworld you run around in between battles, and a home base you build up, and some quests that persist between sessions -- like someone will ask you to do something and you can complete it over the course of several runs and then that person will join your town and sell you stuff, things like that. There's also a ton of classes that you unlock that all have their own decks (with some shared cards) and play differently. There's the starting class whose gimmick is lasting long enough to get a big special attack, then so far I've unlocked a summoner who summons and activates monsters to block damage and attack for him, an archer class that is all about drawing a ton of low damage zero cost arrow cards, and a sentinel that gets a ton of block and does more damage the longer he can go without taking damage. There's a total of nine classes, so I still have five I haven't seen yet.

It's also pretty nice looking for one of these games, instead of just cards battling it out like some of these, there's animated 3D monsters that look cool.

If I have any small complaints, its that the classes don't seem all that well balanced -- some seem just straight up better than others -- and the game is really hard starting out since the opening class kind of sucks comparatively. But overall I'm having a good time with it. I did get it for free since I was on the Kickstarter for the board game it's based on, but for $20 ($18 right now on sale), I think it'd be worth it for anyone that likes these kind of games.

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 30, 2021

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

AirRaid posted:

I always associated "roguelike" with the mechanic of mass-replaying levels, usually procedural in some form, with an over-arching progression/unlock system beyond each "life". I didn't realise it apparently specifically calls out topdown grid based stuff too.

Steam has a category of "Traditional Roguelike" to encompass top down grid based stuff but the tags aren't used very consistently

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Hub Cat posted:

This looks interesting
SuchArt: Genius Artist Simulator

Relaxing Artist simulator with (somewhat) realistic painting, commissions, and a story

I'd be very interested in any goon reviews on this one. I almost grabbed it recently but it's kind of a steep price tag for what it looks like ($19.99), especially still in early access. But it looks cool and I'm still tempted.

I know they say the painting is realistic -- I wonder if I can do a wet canvas piece and follow along with a Bob Ross episode

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

I played this and I don't really get it at all. It's like an actual art program where you can make art but shoved into a purposeless first person perspective, making every single thing multiple times more annoying and time consuming. Like, you need to pick up certain brushes, wash them, have the colors you want ready from the paint dispenser, you even need something to hold you up to reach the top of the canvas. I just don't see the point I guess, if you want to make art get a program that is made for that, if you want to paint on a physical canvas, do that. This in between thing, where you have the annoying controls of a video game but you're still trying to make good art, just introduces extra frustration in my opinion. I'm returning it.

I also played Beard Blade, which seems like a pretty fun albeit very standard platformer. Very Mario-like in feel, and does have some neat mechanics. If you like platformers like that it should be pretty good.

Thanks for the review. I might check it out on sale sometime or something, but it doesn't sound like a priority pickup.

For those that didn't follow it, there was a Kickstarter campaign for a game called That Which Sleeps, which promised to be a game where you are an Elder god and you try to take over the world, not directly at first, but using your power to infiltrate a society and using your cultists and shadow abilities to slowly grow power until you had one of several ways to go on the offensive. And there would be heroes and stuff dedicated to sniffing you out and stopping your plans. Anyway, the Kickstarter completely fell apart in a blaze of drama and lies and fake prototypes and all the bad things imaginable. There was a thread on the forums here that went from being interested in the game to basically just :munch:ing and following the drama and joking about it.

At some point, a goon in that thread was like "you know, I could probably just make this game, since these idiots are clearly never going to finish it." And he did. This is that goon's game. I haven't tried it out, but I hear it at least works and exists, which is better than the Kickstarter it was based on.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

SpacePope posted:

The manual is super impressive and worth a read.

I've been waiting on this one, it looks really cool from all the previews. That manual is kind of bewildering, but it seems like the kind of game that'll be easier to pick up how it works through playing it.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/874260/The_Forgotten_City/

The Forgotten City was originally a mod for Skyrim or some game like that, but then was made into its own full game. Looks like it's been getting mostly positive reviews, although nothing too glowing. The facial animations are.... phew. Not good. Still down to check it out, I'm generally a huge sucker for ancient Greece.

It was a pretty interesting Skyrim mod. I'm not sure how well it'll translate into it's own game, although the description sounds like they expanded it out a bit. But $25 (or $22 on sale) seems a little steep to me for what I expect this to be. If you haven't played the original mod, could be a fun one to get on sale eventually.

I like that it in the trailer it looks like they just made you an archer (meme here about how everyone goes stealth archer in Skyrim). Also, this line from the description doesn't exactly inspire confidence:

quote:

If you don’t go into this expecting a Triple-A action RPG, you’ll have a much better time!

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Starbase (Early Access)

quote:

Starbase is a hybrid voxel/vertex-based space MMO with a fully destructible and infinitely expanding universe, with a focus on building and designing spaceships and stations, exploration, resource gathering, crafting, trading, and combat.

Single persistent Universe - Play and interact online with thousands of players and start shaping the world with your fellow robots.

Build, fight, chat and group up with other players to discover and settle the vast galaxy that is waiting for its first conquerors to make their mark.

Mine asteroids by yourself, trade and haul cargo with your friends, or build a station with a huge company.

The environment in Starbase is fully destructible, made possible by a mixture of voxel and fracture damage - Everything can be destroyed or disassembled with the right kind of tools and weaponry.

The in-depth physics simulation enabled by hybrid voxel/vertex-based game mechanics make fights, exploration and flying spaceships a creative paradise

The simulation of structural and elemental durability in the game adds its own twist and challenge to the efforts to conquer space; poorly designed superstructures combined with overpowered steering thrusters can snap the spaceships in half if cutting corners too much in a space race.

Design and build your spaceship, stations and devices down to the tiniest detail, and live the spaceship designer dream by selling your blueprints.

The smallest building unit in Starbase is a single bolt, allowing you to build, repair and modify spaceships, stations, and devices as you wish.

Even the smallest ships have thousands of parts, each with their own detailed damage model, making building and designing a truly creative process.

Learning to use the in-game programming chips will take building and designing to a new level; innovation, automation of ships and creating clever ship layouts will make all the difference!

Engage in seamless FPS and spaceship combat with thousands of players simultaneously.

Fly solo or crew up with others to divide roles and responsibilities.

Explore the infinitely expanding universe, and discover stations, asteroid fields, spaceship wrecks, social hubs and fellow travelers.

Arrange an exploration mission with friends and find out what's hidden in the depths of space and the faraway moons

Beware of pirates and unknown dangers when venturing into the uncharted territories!

Starting station safe zones safeguard the new player experience

Dynamic safe zones configurable on player-owned stations

Developer-lead faction Empire provides protection and security

Starbase is developed with Frozenbyte’s internal game engine that is custom-built for conquering space, enabling the use of extremely challenging combination of voxel and vertex technologies in the game. The modern engine has been built specifically with Starbase in mind and the engine’s architecture is designed to handle all the quirks of simulation, damage, building, player amounts and the ever-growing universe to match the challenges the ambitious vision of the game can pose. Similarly, all features of the game have been developed with the infinite scale and the creative freedom of the players in mind.

Starbase has been in secret development for five years without restraints and the development will continue until the game’s bold vision is achieved.

Sounds pretty cool, like a Space Engineers/EVE Online hybrid although I'm gonna wait awhile before paying $31 for an early access space MMO

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I'm a sucker for Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld style games so this is definitely one I'll keep an eye on. Interested in reviews if anyone gives it a shot.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mayveena posted:

Management thread thinks it's pretty bad. Note that if you have Game Pass for PC it's available there.

Bummer, although no real surprise. So many of these come out and they're hard to get right. At least Space Haven has been decent as an early access one of these.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

unfortunately, it is bad

way too early alpha, not only buggy (can be patched eventually, but like won't even load saves buggy. uncaught object reference error buggy) but with questionable design decisions and balance. fires are in the game, but the only way to fight a fire is to build a door and hard vent all the atmo in the room to space. why not just turn off fires until you add firefighting? also after about a week of play your people will go into a tantrum spiral and just beat the poo poo out of each other constantly due to accumulated stress, one of the major stressors being "someone just got beaten to death"

pretty alright! if you like the idea of a casual, side-perspective dwarf fortress then its worth a look. its not finished yet but the pace of updates has been regular and substantial

Thanks for the info. I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it shapes up down the road. Plenty of other games of that type to play in the interim.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Crossposting from the sim thread, Farmer's Life came out in Early Access a few days ago and it seems like My Summer Car mixed with Farmer's Dynasty. I watched someone stream it and it has some interesting mechanics, but boy the opening tutorial is bleak. Your guy sells off all his tools and animals because of his overwhelming alcoholism and depression.

Has farming, hunting, fishing, fighting and doing quests for townspeople, all that good stuff, although I don't know how much is implemented yet. Reviews are mixed right now since it is apparently very buggy, sometimes eating save files, and people are saying that time is running way too fast, but it seems like one to keep an eye on for the future at least.

Here is a guy named Peanut who does a lot of these types of games playing the tutorial and first couple days: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcXwn6xeBxc

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Play posted:

Apparently created by a father-son team, Vulgord's Tower is a multiplayer board-game style thing. Not sure if it has AI to play against or not.

So the trailer says "Play solo or multiplayer" but in the Steam discussions, the developer says:

quote:

Hi Vexxar. There is no AI in the game. Difficulty is based on your opponents skill level. Difficulty also increases as you progress through the game. Hope that helps.
Thanks!

So I guess it just has a board game solo mode, not AI opponents.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Somfin posted:

Hey all, I just found out about Tainted Grail: Conquest, which is a loving gorgeous deckbuilder roguelite, very much in the vein of good old Slay the Spire, that scratches that "ramp to infinity" roguelite power-trip itch harder than I've seen in a long time. A quick search of this thread showed it hadn't been mentioned yet, but it released back in May and holy poo poo, it's amazing and beautiful and when you're doing well, you feel like a god. It's got a touch of the "bleak for bleakness' sake" fantasy theming going on, but the story's going in intriguingly meta directions, the player is offered real chances and reasons to fix things instead of just being a vague blob of vagueness vaguely pushing forward for their own reasons, and the systems all play into each other in fun and meaningful ways.

Yeah, I really like this one, too. I got it free since I backed the board game Kickstarter, but I would have been happy with it even if I bought it. I particularly like the different variations on the summoner/necro class.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fate Accomplice posted:

Is is the same storyline as the board game?

No, the board game is much more narrative and has a focus on keeping the Menhirs lit

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

This looks cool and like the type of weird poo poo (mixed with deckbuilding, which I like) that is up my alley. I'll have to check out the demo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
https://twitter.com/microtrailers/status/1433423257353523203?s=20

quote:

Timothy Leary Wants to Take You on a Mind Adventure
From the mind of Dr. Timothy Leary comes Mind Mirror, a trippy journey through your own mind.

Mind Mirror is not just a game, it is a valuable tool to help you explore your own mind, make decisions, and to envision your ideal self.

Play it by yourself or with a group of people to learn more about yourself and others.

Mind Mirror is a fun and nostalgic blast from the 80s, while still serving as a useful tool for self-reflection and exploring your own personality!

No matter what, we guarantee that Mind Mirror will be unlike any game you have ever played!

Originally published in 1986. Article from several years ago about it here: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/diy-transcendence-with-timothy-learys-mind-mirror

What an odd thing to put on Steam.