Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Zaphod42 posted:

Shovel Knight devs made a Ninja Gaiden type game?! Sign me up

they're only publishing it, but it looks really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

thanks this is fun but beware if you kill the final boss it wipes your save ??? you have to start over to explore anything missed

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:aaaaa:
https://twitter.com/AxiomVerge/status/1425490103049220104
Switch, PS4, and Epic at launch, PS5 later and Steam eventually. This announcement just made my day/week/month!

Here's the launch trailer if you haven't been following this for years or are somehow not familiar with the first game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZG0vU9RYSE

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Hwurmp posted:

You could lift it out of the water with a bunch of web strands attached to the ceiling.

unless I've missed something very obvious this is the only way to elevate objects and gets kinda tedious, still fun though

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I completely forgot this was coming out and was the best kind of surprised when I saw it released, if it's even half as good as the first then it's easily worth double the price.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I bought the unfinished vampire smash tv and it's good

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
At 13.5 hours I'm up to 98% completion in Supraland SIU. Apparently I'm missing 2 chests, 1 upgrade, and 3 secrets? Not sure how that all adds up, but having a blast.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1231880/Haiku_the_Robot/

quote:

Delve into the depths of a mechanical world in this cute, adventure-exploration game. Explore and fight in a land full of corrupt robots and machinery. All while seeking answers to the mysteries around you.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256850528/movie480_vp9.webm

New 2D indie metroidvania very much inspired by Hollow Knight but with pixel graphics and robots. Backed it on kickstarter a while ago and now it's out, played about an hour and seems very solid so far.

haldolium posted:

Ultra Deluxe is great, do buy if you enjoyed Stanley Parable.

It really is, the new content overlaps the old so there's plenty to experience and the narrator is as great as ever.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

RC Cola posted:

What can y'all tell me as someone who has never played?

Play the demo for the original game: https://store.steampowered.com/app/221910/The_Stanley_Parable/
It's not a slice of the main content but rather its own standalone appetizer that will give you a solid idea of whether you will like it or not without giving away anything.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
You're pretty much SOL if you're looking for something modern in the vein of Quake or Unreal Tournament multiplayer, arena shooters are deader than this forum when it comes to competing for players against all the battle royales and big name franchises.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

ultrafilter posted:

The Looker

Free, 96% positive based on ~150 reviews.

I wanted to play this because I love short parody games but it has zero configuration options. No mouse invert, no key binding, no audio controls, no nothing. The dev has said he'll add some but until then my upside down brain can't process it :saddumb:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Kickstarted this (apparently 2 years ago now, wow) and it's finally in Early Access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1249480/ExZodiac/
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256897125/movie480_vp9.webm

It's totally not Starfox. Contains 6 of the planned 12 levels and what's there is claimed to be complete but I haven't played it yet.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I have absolutely zero memory of playing the first Blossom Tales but steam says I have 10 hours and a bunch of achievements to go with my cleared save :psyduck: I think I'll hold off on the sequel.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
New game from the maker of DEVIL DAGGERS except this time it's on all of the drugs
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1743850/HYPER_DEMON/

quote:

HYPER DEMON is an FPS like no other..
a pearl of lightning. a dream from the future. a drop of poison. a swan song.
The faster you slay demons, the harder the game and the higher your score.
There is an end
will it see you?

Master minimal controls that open up a plethora of weapons and abilities for deep and spectacular combos.
Collect gems to buff your shot and rapid or grab them to charge laser attacks and skillfully unleash cataclysmic super moves.

Groundbreaking spherical projection gives the player wide peripheral vision without pinching and shrinking the center of the screen like a traditional linear perspective, allowing fields of view up to 180 degrees.
A unique red holographic “rear view” overlay gives the player a full 360 degree sensory awareness of threats.

Challenge your Steam and Discord friends’ scores or take the ultimate journey to reach the top of the Global Leaderboard.
Watch Replays for any run, record and share clips straight from the game with embeddable video links that seamlessly work in Discord, Twitter and more.

:siren: big visual headache/epilepsy warning :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScglDSi9KUs

DEVIL DAGGERS had some surprising depth and strategy for how simple the gameplay loop was and this looks to expand on it in several ways.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
The person responsible for that Zelda OoT Sudoku from back in 2020 made it into a full game with more features.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1806960/Mythos_Sudoku/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256910862/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

A WHOLE NEW WAY TO SUDOKU
It's more than just a grid: simultaneously solve multiple puzzles and uncover magical items that will help you along the way. Discover up to 9 themed sudoku variants, each with its own environment and a unique set of rules to match. With completely randomly generated puzzles, you'll get a new experience every time.

I played through it the last few days (~12 hours total) and it was very chill if you like sudoku. Some of the variants are wild and it's all randomly generated. The final boss in particular had a really cool twist.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

ultrafilter posted:

It was in early access for a year or so and exited today.

I had grabbed a copy on sale during EA knowing the price would increase after full release but held off on playing it as there were regular content updates similar to the development cycle for Rogue Legacy 2. I was iffy on the kickstarter at the time as it was a new dev - and it certainly had its share of delays - but it seems like they nailed the final product.

I'm only an hour in so far and this game now has my full attention. It feels very polished and fluid in a way many of these solo indie projects don't. The obvious comparison is to Hollow Knight but so far this has a greater focus on platforming and less on souls-like combat; it also features color. There are teases of many movement abilities and they all look to be quite dynamic and interactive instead of "fire and forget" scripted skills. I've even found some minor sequence breaks with the first ability allowing me early access to a few shortcuts and collectibles. There's been a flurry of small patches in the past week and even a couple post-release, and the dev is active on the Steam forum and his Discord.

I am really tempted to stay up all night and play more, but alas.

There's also a silly tie-in if you own Haiku that says a lot about the community attitude:
https://twitter.com/MrMorrisGames/status/1644358291751837697

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

poronty posted:

Oh man Lone Fungus has been an absolute blast to play so far (I'm somewhere around 50 or 60% completion I think?), but it's once again one of those hardcore vanias that require an insane level of precision and about a million fingers on both hands for the bosses and collectathon challenges in the latter half of the game.

I'm already getting close to the point where I'll inevitably have to give up because my rhythm and reflexes are not nearly good enough for this sort of ultra-precise choreographed rhythmic ballet these games always turn into.
There's an assisted mode you can select at the start, but you can't change mode on the fly, and I've gotten way too far to start a new game now, so I'll probably just stop playing and be frustrated, as is par for the course with all these games. Oh well, it's a me problem I know. Would still absolutely recommend it!

That's my conclusion too, although I was able to see through to the end. Sitting at about 95% completion and not sure if I want to try for the rest because what little is left is so incredibly precise. The controls also seem more complicated than they have to be, there's two different kinds of attack buttons and jump buttons and dash buttons :psyduck:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

King of Solomon posted:

Wow, that's really disappointing. I'm still going to play it after I finish the games I'm playing right now, but hard precision platforming just isn't what I want out of a Metroidvania.

All of the hand contortionist stuff is purely optional for useless collectibles and achievements, none of it will gate progress or even minor upgrades. Anything that does yield progress is more like a light puzzle as to how the mechanics interact and thus training for the horrors to come. It is however almost impossible to know which challenges are what kind when you initially find them because of the dumb map system that only fills out rooms and highlights pickups when you save at a shrine.

There were a couple bosses that I felt were unfun because they have too much health, cheap attacks, too many attacks to dodge reliably, or just move about the arena way too freely. Very few of them featured any of the movement tech which was pretty disappointing. And despite there being 60 possible relics to equip they don't really change combat dramatically and just like Hollow Knight are prohibitively expensive to use more than 1 or 2 of the best at a time.

I did go back to get 100% and it honestly wasn't rewarding enough. The handful of challenges I had left I already knew what to do so it was a matter of dying a hundred times to get it right. The items I could have tracked down on my own since there's an item given before the final boss that alerts you to secrets when you get close but it was easier to use a map someone else made rather than run around every room again humping walls.

If you do choose to hunt stuff down then it is imperative that you mess around with the spell combos when traversing rooms. The game does a very poor job of explaining this in a single line of text and undersells their utility by relegating them all to optional challenges. Doesn't help that the button to change spells is L3 and I prefer to play with dpad so I mostly ignored them.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Sadly most of the negative reviews are in Chinese and machine translations butcher the gaming lingo they use so it's hard to know what the complaints are.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1244090/Sea_of_Stars/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256935914/movie480_vp9.webm

The new game from the devs behind The Messenger is finally out.

quote:

Sea of Stars is a turn-based RPG inspired by the classics. It tells the story of two Children of the Solstice who will combine the powers of the sun and moon to perform Eclipse Magic, the only force capable of fending off the monstrous creations of the evil alchemist known as The Fleshmancer.

------------

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2179860/Prison_City/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256945265/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

Prison City is a dystopian, action-packed side-scroller with tight mechanics and intricate level design. Battle techno-terrorists with your chakram and grenades, eat hot dogs for health, and locate contacts to help take down bosses.

It's like a mashup of several NES games.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

ultrafilter posted:

Pepper Grinder

quote:

Pepper Grinder is an action-packed 2D adventure blending traditional platforming with an alternate drilling mode that allows you to dive in and out of the earth like a dolphin swims through water.
No reviews. Has a demo.

Currently rated 89% out of 131. This is quite good and almost lives up to what it looks like it should be, but there's a few issues holding it back from being truly fantastic.

My biggest complaint is the swinging grapple controls. Instead of a normal hold-and-release setup it has you tap X (generic contextual input) to latch on and then tap R2 (the dig button) to release; this feels absolutely terrible and even after beating the game it never became second nature. Also the A button (jump) cancels the animation entirely and resets your momentum. Thoroughly disgusting. They need to add an option to change this.

Second major complaint is that you can't skip boss cutscenes. For two of them it's a brief 10 second intro so eh whatever, but one is more like 20 seconds and the final boss is almost a full minute. Adding to this, in time trial mode you get to replay the short section of stage before the boss each time because checkpoints are disabled. With the par times on boss stages being 1-2 minutes it's inexcusable that every time you fail you get to waste just as much or more time sitting around doing nothing as you do actually playing. I gave up trying to medal the final boss because of this.

Outside of those and while playing casually it's a very fun experience. Moving around and exploring levels is a blast and you can tell a lot of care went into making sure cycles line up properly. There's plenty of stage gimmicks, neat interactable objects, fun mechanics to go fast; all the usual stuff you'd expect out of a platformer. The music is good but not great, ranging from hectic drum and bass to chill ambient tracks but often feels like there's an instrument or melody missing from the composition. I'm surprised there's no in-game leaderboards with how much movement tech and intended skips are packed into each level. Speedruns will be fun to watch for sure.

A few other minor things stick out to me. Sometimes when exiting dirt or water you can get caught up on walls and freeze in place. The time trial goals are all very reasonable except one stage that is practically impossible. I'm convinced they goofed the time requirement because I can't even get within 25 seconds when I beat plenty of other stages by that much or more. There's a silly cosmetic gacha mechanic to spend the money you find in levels and it hands out way too many duplicates, the full set is required for achievements.

Even with the current flaws I still wish there were more of it. There's a total of 24 stages across 4 worlds and Steam has me clocked at 6.7 hours played. Some really challenging extra stages to flex your acquired mastery would make a welcome addition since the base game isn't terribly difficult.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 30, 2024

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

This is super cool, it's very much Zelda meets twinstick shooter.

This was a letdown. The final product feels somewhere between rushed gamejam entry and unfinished student project, in the blandest way possible.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

You had my attention but then it was an early access roguelite, maybe in a year it will be complete and worth a look (or abandoned).

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
https://mystic-valley-game.itch.io/mystic-valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efsxIWuF178

quote:

The new game from the creator of TANUKI JUSTICE and AGGELOS!
Immerse yourself in an adventure inspired by 8-bit era classics!

The beautiful and lush lands of the Mystic Valley were once a peaceful place where all beings lived in peace and harmony, but everything changed when an evil being known as Bubluns took over the valley, turning it into a dangerous place full of evil monsters...

But there is still one last hope! Wren, the last warrior in the valley, has set on a journey to gather the five medals of power to defeat Bubluns and set the valley free from its evil influence!

* Explore freely a world full of dangerous enemies and secrets
* Equip yourself with items that will make you more powerful and grant you new skills that allow you to access new areas
* Explore dungeons full of traps and puzzles, and defeat powerful bosses to obtain the 5 Medals of Power

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

ultrachrist posted:

Aggelos is an extremely good Zelda2/wonderboy type game. Total hidden gem. This looks cool, they're doing Zelda 1 now. I wonder if this will get distributed to wider platforms like their other games.

I'm not sure, it's been released independent of their previous publishing partners so it may not.

Just finished up after about 4 hours, at 3:10 on the in-game because I forgot to save before quitting between sessions and had to replay the fifth dungeon and final boss :dumb: It's a fun little 8-bit adventure game with a lot of obvious Zelda inspiration, but also some older Japanese PC titles like Ys and Hydlide, and probably others I'm missing. It gets surprisingly hard by the end with lots of bullets to dodge but never feels unfair; it says I died 20 times but there's probably another dozen in that bit I lost to not saving.

Definitely worth the $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
There's a little star icon on the corner of every review that tells you whether it counts towards the total or not, Steam excludes anybody who registers with a key or received a gift instead of purchasing directly.