Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I don't think I've seen a game live up to its name better, its genuinely beautiful with surprisingly good and frequent CGI for an indie; but entire map areas can be completely empty, with a single NPC to talk to or one thing to interact with. Problem is I've literally had to comb every area, because pick ups are invisible to the naked eye and the icon for them only appears when your character is near them.

I understand they did this so you had to stare at the art for longer, but man is that annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Donnerberg posted:

Beyond a Steel Sky came out today. I've been thinking about giving it a shot just because it's cyberpunk, but apparently it has quite a pedigree. It's the sequel to a 90s point and click adventure game called Beneath a Steel Sky, and it's made by guy that did all the Broken Sword games.

This got lost in the Ooblets talk, but so far I'm really enjoying Beyond a Steel Sky. It feels like its got the production values of a Telltale, without the important choice stuff.

Just a really good old school adventure, the hacking stuff seems interesting so far, but I'm hoping they do something a bit more complicated with it as the game goes on.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Feelin' a bit gated in Ooblets, all the projects require a bunch of Clothlets and afaik the only way to get it is randomly foraging?

I think there are seeds in the shop, but they're quite expensive.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
So, Jets n Guns 2 left early access.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Mortal Shell: so after getting the first shell, I wandered into a dungeon found a cool giant sword and a couple of upgrades for it, defeated a couple of bosses, then discovered that after defeating the second one I was basically trapped in one of the hardest dungeons in the game.

This sucks, guess I'll restart.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
My advice for Paradise Killer, look out for footbaths. I walked past them so many times, before realising you can pay them for upgrades. I've found three so far, and they're game changing, and not very well signposted.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Why would a completely unrelated tv series stop you playing a game?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Doesn't really apply, as SWTOR have purposefully hitched their wagon to Big Bang Theory.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
On the subject of Metroidvanias, I've recently enjoyed Cathedral which can best be described as a Shovel Knight take on the genre. Combat isn't especially complex, but the exploration and secret stuff is really well done.

Edit: Oops, thought this was the general Steam thread. Cathedrals still worth a look though.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 7, 2021

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Just finished Ocean's Heart which came out a few days ago and really enjoyed it. Its basically a really well made Zelda-like done by (I think) a one person team. It really encourages exploration well, rewarding you for pretty much everything, and I really liked the starting point which is basically "Here are two clues to find this guy, go explore and do it". I think there's even an achievement if you completely forgo one of the directions and finish it anyway. Loads of sidequests which aren't badly written and well signposted.

Main complaints are that it doesn't use the shoulder buttons, which is frustrating when you've got to constantly go to the menu to switch in useable items, and the power curve seems a bit off, in that about halfway through the game I found myself playing clumsily and facetanking everything, even bosses. But I guess you've got to make the game beatable for those who don't go after every upgrade.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
After that and Curse of the Dead Gods, I genuinely wonder if Supergiant Games are selling their engine at this point.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

readingatwork posted:

Seriously, I’m not sure straight people actually exist in this universe.

The main characters parents are referred to as mum and dad, and the weird alien balloon thing calls itself a stay at home dad the second it's paired up with a girl. There are so many strange looking creatures I'm not sure anyone can be explicitly gay or straight anyway in this universe.

Will admit I've not finished it yet, loving the game for its vibrancy though.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/986310/Recompile/

Recompile is a very interesting-looking so-called '3d metroidvania' where you are a rogue program traversing the mainframe, fighting enemies, hacking, etc.

Just finished it, I really do have a lot of design issues with Recompile, but writing wise its really drat good. The character and AI stuff is really good.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I loved Darksiders Genesis and liked Battle Chasers, and it looks like the devs have made a kind of cross.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1276790/Ruined_King_A_League_of_Legends_Story/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256860647/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1637079976

Do I need to know anything about League of Legends?

Edit: Nope, looks like its definitely just Battle Chasers, drat.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 16, 2021

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
So not a new release, but Unsighted just released its 1.1 patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AXhK7Bxd40

It went from unplayable to an amazing recommendation. The main problem before was that a lot of the puzzle solving/traversal stuff counted as weapons, which meant that you constantly had to go into the menu to change equipment. Thankfully they've added equipment loadouts which can be switched on the fly. It's a genuinely great Metroidvania that seems to have been overlooked.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ultrachrist posted:

Played for about 45 minutes, seems pretty cool. Mix up of top down Zelda and Diablo (and honestly, mobile games) with a neat gimmick. You can turn into different creatures with different abilities -- the rat can poison and eat people, the archer can hit people in a line -- that come with with a constantly increasing quest list. As quests complete, you level up the individual abilities of the creature + overall stats and unlock new quests. There's the possibility of good character variety here. I unlocked the horse who can only kick behind him but does good damage and knocks people into walls. I figure the game wants you to switch for different occasions since some will be better aoe vs single target and for example you could switch to the knight if low on health since he does more damage at low %s.

I just got to the point where builds massively open up as you can mix and match the creatures abilities for interesting synergies, and a few of the quests require exactly that.

Like with the horse I've found it's good to give it the rangers poison passive, and just gallop around at the start of the battle poisoning entire groups.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2022

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Most of those quests simply serve to get you to use your new found abilities, so stop appearing. They become much more complex as you level up your form. I'd be very surprised if "hit something with your sword 50000 times" appeared at A-S. It would be much more likely to be "hit 5 stunned enemies in one hit with dark damage", and you'd maybe have to do that twice.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

ultrafilter posted:

GetsuFumaDen: Undying Moon

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256874138/movie480_vp9.webm

Konami's take on Dead Cells, apparently. The game's gorgeous and the EA reviews are mostly positive.

Enjoying this. The game doesn't really tell you that you lose almost all metaprogression materials upon death, and I was wondering how the hell I was going to afford any upgrades. Turns out you can end your run after each boss to bank your stuff.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Blast Brigade vs. the Evil Legion of Dr. Cread

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256881741/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1649807462

So I've been playing this for the past few days, and its really drat good. Extremely polished. I would genuinely compare the feel of the platforming to something like Hollow Knight, with lots of wall clings and air dashes, and lots of exploration for hidden upgrades and secrets. Bosses are good, with well telegraphed attacks that are fun to dodge. I've generally beaten each on on about the third try, so It's about the right level of difficulty for me.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1880230/Trigger_Witch/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256884744/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1652400822

This one is actually really fun, if relatively basic and not incredibly challenging. Good-enough story and an interesting world to explore with some dungeons and puzzles. I'm surprised it only has 4 reviews, although they are all positive.

Just finished this after about 5 hours of playtime. Really good fun, well designed dungeons, though sadly, none of the weapons you get latter on are better than your starting assault rifle.

Also, massive (and a bit hackneyed) tonal shift at the final dungeon
big spoiler

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I appreciate this thread doesnt see the traffic of others, but its something I'll literally click on every time I see a new post and be possibly excited about. So its a bit of a shame to see it removed from the pinned threads. It feels like this is kind of the general news of Games.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Aug 3, 2022

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Its very good with some reservations. It's almost got too much story compared to the standard Soulslike, like you can talk to anyone in your hub about anyone else and you kind of get tired of the sheer amount of dialog. With a few quests actually hidden in dialog trees. This is espcially annoying when you encounter entire corridors of identical doors which may give random flavor and may give actual quests.

Also the progression/skill tree is entirely linked to specific weapons, which means that you kind of choose two weapons and will never vary from those in a kind of sunk cost thing.

That said, the exploration stuff is pretty good and rivals most other soulslikes, the game seems very open to a varied order of objectives.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 11, 2022

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

I've been playing a bunch of this and its extremely well done. Lots of exploration and unlockable shortcuts.

One feature I really like is that rather than bombarding you with Soulsian item descriptions, a lot of the equipment you get has actually forgotten its history, and you just get little clues to unlocking it. When you find the right place pertaining to the clue, you can remember it. Doing so upgrades the items stats, unlocks special abilities and most importantly updates its look from pixelly to well textured.

Also, even if you're not using the equipment, unlocking this stuff gives you extensive passive bonuses. Makes you really look out for certain features while exploring.

Fatty fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 21, 2022

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

This is genuinely a great game. Incredibly polished for EA, with a really compelling gameplay loop.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
It has a quite robust tutorial? I found myself running into some errors with construction, but it in no way penalizes you and fully refunds anything spent in experimentation.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I think its main thing is actually hand crafted campaigns with voice acting, rather than the procgen StS stuff. Though that is still in there.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Looks like Solar Ash was a bit of a practice run for engine/style. That was a cool game, but felt a bit shallow mechanically.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Swilo posted:

It is however almost impossible to know which challenges are what kind when you initially find them because of the dumb map system that only fills out rooms and highlights pickups when you save at a shrine.

The game has a very robust custom difficulty, and the only setting I changed from normal was this.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Donnerberg posted:

Crossposting from the RPG thread. Cassette Beasts came out today.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1321440/Cassette_Beasts/

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256943017/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1682521206

I'm just an hour in, but it plays like a combo of Pokemon and Persona.

Played this for about 4 hours and its great. I'd actually say its more Pokemon meets Crystal Project. Its really just fun to explore the world and find little secrets and jumping paths. You also unlock a bunch of Metroidvania style movement/manipulation powers.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Punch Club 2 absolutely has its own form of stat drain. By half way through all your attacks put you into a form of debt that you have to pay off by training without any benefit. You can avoid this by using lovely basic attacks, but by that point every one of your enemies uses nothing but these expensive skills, and of course they don't care about the cost.

You also get a couple of timed jobs partway through. If you come to either of these jobs without full meters and consumables and more than half an hour late, you will fail. More than a few failures and I think you lose the job forever.

I just don't understand why they keep making these design decisions.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I think that might have been because it was completely spurious.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Oh right, I thought it was the Battlebit, "Some oligarchs live in Turkey" thing.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Lekon posted:

I need to chime in to say this game is incredible. Completely awesome, and a hell of a ride. It's excitebike with gunplay and metroid power ups mechanics wise, and a hell of a dark, heavy story on top of it. The game certainly makes being an immortal coyote warrior with a gun seem to suck. There's still moments of levity and heart, and it doesn't go grim dark but holy hell, play the demo and see.

Then buy the game.

Yeah, played a few of hours of it, I'd probably liken it to Super Meat Boy, in that deaths are instant and many, and restarts are quick. Definitely gives me that just one-more-try to get past this thing feel.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

CzarChasm posted:

It's pretty fun, but unlike most souls-likes there is no recharge on healing consumables. So if you have 7 heals (the max), use 3 and die to the boss, when you respawn, you'll have 4. Resting at the equivalent to a bonfire resets enemies and heals you, but provides no other solid benefit. There is a shop, but at least in the demo, it's at least half the map away from the nearest quick travel point.

I've found this is less of an issue in the long term of the full game, as when you're exploring you're constantly picking up heals that go into storage. Resting will replenish your stock fine. I haven't had to buy any, but I've unlocked a merchant that sells them at the hub, and killing a single enemy will give me enough currency to buy 4.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Banishers:Ghosts of New Eden
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/257000110/movie480_vp9.webm

New one from Don't Nod. Very positive on Steam and gaming sites are giving it about 7/10. I actually enjoyed Remember Me and Vampyr despite their flaws, so may give it a try.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1684350/The_Thaumaturge/

Been waiting for this! Loved the demo, immaculate setting and vibes. 38 positive, 4 negative with people complaining of poor GPU optimization and bugged investigation points.

Its by the makers of Seven: The Days Long Gone, which much as I loved it was definitely quite buggy on release. Might wait for an enhanced edition with this one as well.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
I can recommend their previous game, Swords & Souls: Neverseen as a fantastic example of a numbers get bigger flash game done really right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Obviously this thread has loads of contributors, but I just wanted to say special thanks to ultrafilter and Play for their massive efforts. You are very much appreciated and noticed.