Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I became super interested in Hellpoint after watching some streamers play it. Seems to be a little AA Souls game with a sci-fi twist with a ton of areas to explore (which look the same but hey it's a space station). I wish I could figure out which console version to get as my PC is a toaster these days. Just a heads up though it's a little buggy and online is broken but the devs are definitely fixing things.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/628670/Hellpoint/

Also watched someone stream House on the Hill which is just 7 bucks and in Early Access. You're a thief and breaking into a house to steal a necklace but things get really weird while trying to get away.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1239050/House_on_the_Hill/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

I've been really digging Hellpoint so far, is there a thread for it?

I don't know and I was also looking for a generic souls-everything thread too. I'm giving up the guessing which console it runs better on and picking it up on XBX to play it safe.

My PC is too lovely to run it at 60fps so it was already steam refunded.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

The Protagonist posted:

I've gotten a ways in, past the first two bosses and now having real trouble on the 'third'*, though choosing some different paths might lead to different encounters. I straight up avoided those super-guardians in the main embassy causeway, they have the same kinda threat level as an early game black knight in DS1 but are easily outrun. It's clear we'll pass back that way again through one of the one-way gates later.

Melee weapon variety is good, only found four sets of armor so far but they're very distinct, and several unique head pieces. In addition there are body/head modules, augmentations basically. Enemies are bipeds for the most part, with a few notable exceptions, with plenty of distinct subtypes among them. I've only found a single projectile weapon so far, and no offensive 'spells', but I get the feeling I'm really just scratching the surface.

loving finally beat the Arisen Congregators holy jesus that was a pain solo. Probably be much easier with a friend or a focused build, I've got my points spread all over to try most of the equipment I come across.

I just made it to the first boss and the performance/graphics seem fine so far on the XBX. Apparently this has local split screen co-op so I'll try that out later with the wife.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

burial posted:

I found secret doors too! but none that led to that douchebag behind the gate saying this is his house or whatever. The only reason I didn’t kill him through the bars is because I worried it would lock me out of something later.

And what’s with the red light float-bots?

I think online is somewhat working now because I found a glowing hand on the wall in the Embassy area which led to a secret door and another type of 3d printer and another secret door that had a key to another area!.

I think I'm going to put 5 pts into everything starting out. I found a hosed up squigly looking flesh helmet which I think is for magic users behind another secret door in another area.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

burial posted:

Is the Embassy secret door the one with the green flying things behind it? because I found that door but haven’t explored it fully yet.

So far I’ve just upped health, stamina, and strength because I figured a str build will never go awry (and I’ve somehow never played one in any of the actual souls games, because I’m usually all about the dex.) I imagine I might regret that down the line, but I have a mental defect where I keep restarting games even when I’m enjoying them for all kinds of reasons. It blows, but maybe it’ll serve me well here.

I haven't seen that one.

The one I'm talking about is in the big area at the start with the little guys and elevator that alerts them all if you press the button.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Hellpoint also has some weird twitch integration too, so watch out if you stream.

edit: I just got booted from someone's stream for voting for "flip the screen" haha.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 5, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I put 5 points into everything starting out, and so far I don't feel penalized too much and let me feel around which path to go with. The cool thing is you can still use an item if you don't have the stats you're instead penalized heavily. Also there are these conductor things you are actually upgrading instead of the weapon itself so you can swap your +5 thingy to another weapon if you find something else plus if you find a DEX weapon and you are all STR, you could put a STR conductor on it to apply your STR bonus to balance out the lack of DEX.

As for the exploration I love it. I haven't gotten lost yet, but you sure do wonder around a lot. I ended up taking this long rear end round trip to the back door of the second boss via several zones.

If you're bored goto Twitch and click on a Hellpoint streamer, check the user list for iridnovo and then you can do !vote to start loving with people totally confused why things are happening.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I'm still going in Hellpoint and loving it, I've converted to a "mage" after upgrading the fire staff to max. It melts everything.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Pyrolocutus posted:

Hold on - so you can "unsocket" the conductors and keep both them and the weapon in question?

You can remove conductors and put them in other weapons without penalty. The weapon will keep it's xp/unlocks but lose the stat bonuses.

There are two handed attacks, actually a lot of weapons have a another attack if you have one empty slot and press left attack.

I found a top hat.

I am a fire build and it melts the gently caress out of everything except for one boss so far. I think I'm getting close to the end but I'm having too much fun with my one-punch build I'm working towards.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

burial posted:

Speaking of soulslikes, what’s the word on Mortal Shell? It comes out tomorrow/the 18th and the videos I’ve watched make it seem like it’d also be right up my alley but if there’s information out there (beta impressions from goons, etc.) that’d sway me one way or another, I’d love to factor it in.

I haven't heard much about it except for it's hardening gimmick. I would love to hear how the exploration is though, that's the big draw for me in these games. I have heard it might be $30 so that's a good price for me to jump in blind, but I'll wait for initial console performance reviews.

edit: Watching people playing it on Twitch. So far I'm a little meh on it for the environments seen so far. Definitely don't like how most enemies don't react to being hit or stagger.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 17, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I watched one boss fight and it was camera hell. I still haven't found anything about console performance.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I put in a refund for Mortal Shell. It feels like a very streamlined Souls game focused on combat. And because of that a lot of the world design and mystery is suffering which is why I really enjoy these games. The XBX version I was playing was experiencing frame drops the first couple of boss fights so that was frustrating.

Plus I kept hitting A to jump :smith: Thanks Hellpoint.

I'll probably come back to it on PC when I upgrade one day.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Not-Souls Chat:

Finished Hellpoint after the Xbox patch finally came out. I really hated that final fight, but overall I enjoyed the game and willing to recommend it to others. I doubt I will go back and finish achievements anytime soon, missing coins and the archon knights.

Mortal Shell, my request for refund was denied so I decided to keep going with it and it's grown on me some. Better performance after the recent xbox patch. Except now I hit Left Trigger to run (in hellpoint that's the dedicated run button) like a dumbass. Sadly I'll never be good enough to do the shelless run or to put up with the training to git gud for it.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I'm going to try out Haven but after watching a twitch stream I was getting the impression that someone wanted to make a video game with his potential dream waifu. I dunno it's weird.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Hwurmp posted:

goons still recoiling from all social interaction and intimacy I see

It's not my fault 99% of these kind of games suck balls with relationships so I expect the worst. I'm on board with this game now after trying it out.

ghostinmyshell fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Dec 4, 2020

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

While downloading Ys9 and browsing the PS Store, I think I found the next gimmick game that I will buy for my wife. Try to make it to the 60-90 sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s-9x-bf1Vg

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

Morpheus posted:

This is a plus for me. Not sure why RPGs need to always be 30+-hour endeavours.

I just finished it and I don't mind that it's short but there is a lot of filler trying to extend the length. Really wish there was more music. It probably would have worked better for me if it was cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I beat crab souls just now.

I didn’t really enjoy the combat as I could never get the parry timing and there is a lot of tracking attacks. I did enjoy the area design and the story so I would recommend for that alone.

Some of the glitches are super annoying as one boss can kick you through the floor.

Halo 3 sniper trauma also returned :smith: