Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I'm really enjoying Cyber Shadow. It comes across to me like a game that might exist in an alternate universe where 1990s game hardware went down the path of extending and enhancing upon the aesthetic abilities of the NES.

I'll admit it, it seems a bit too hard for me. I like the visuals and the idea but it's just too challenging and clunky overall. It's not the most reactive combat by design, maybe I've gotten too used to more modern takes on the formula. Decided to play some HUNTDOWN instead and had a better time.

Not sure if this is recent enough but I've been playing Olija, I like it a whole lot. Good atmosphere, pretty great story for what it is, tight controls and the right amount of difficulty. No idea how much attention it's getting but it's a well crafted little game.

I feel like Metal Unit passed a lot of people by. If you like roguelites, or enjoyed Skul the Hero Slayer you'll like Metal Unit too as it's very similar. Main difference, which I appreciate, is that in Metal Unit once you beat a level and its boss you don't have to go back to that level again. So it's like a partial roguelite I guess.

Oh an TOHU is a cute af and beautifully animated point and click, good for some super relaxing casual gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Huge post incoming! I play tons of new games so I've got OPINIONS

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127970/Retro_Machina/

Retro Machina just released the full version, played it quite a bit last night and I REALLY like it. The environments and art are beautiful. It's a nice mix of basic but fun combat, puzzles and exploration. And the world / backstory is slim but intriguing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222340/Sockventure/

Sockventure is a devilishly tricky platformer that's pretty addictive. Moving through the levels is challenging enough but getting all the coins really takes some effort. They drip feed you more powers as you go along which totally changes the gameplay and every level is quite different from every other and has unique mechanics. Better than it looks at first, for sure.

Not sure it's worth 15 bucks but it's a good game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1347970/Patch_Quest/

Patch Quest, the developer has a long series chronicling the development of this game on youtube. Pretty fun so far, more challenging and complex than it appears at first.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1497630/Wheres_Samantha/

Where's Samantha?: fun puzzle platformer about a piece of cloth adventuring out to find his love and conquering puzzles and obstacles along the way.

And some takes on previously mentioned games:

ultrafilter posted:

Smelter looks like a modern take on ActRaiser and it's getting pretty good reviews so far.

Smelter is amazing but it's still buggy, I played it for three hours and then came to find out that it never saved my game properly. Super annoying, I'm sure it'll get fixed though and it's a really fun game. Challenging side scrolling platform/action game. The base building is pretty overrated and a bit silly overall but the levels are really fun, especially the challenge areas which will frustrate and intrigue you.

Donnerberg posted:

Now to see if R-Type Final 2 holds up. It's been ages since last they made one of those. It's out tomorrow on more or less everything.

I couldn't play this at all, I guess I just suck really hard but they don't explain the controls and you seem to die on the first hit which is too much for my weak skillz in this genre

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am digging Unbeatable [white label] so much. Free on steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290490/UNBEATABLE_white_label/

I've been waiting a while for this one, stoked there is a free demo gonna check that out today for sure! Thanks!

Wait how is this new? I've had this for ages, feel like it was released at least a year ago. Absolutely incredible game, everyone should check it out especially if you like things like that. Kind of reminds me of Katana Zero in that it looks great and is well-crafted, has a good level of challenge and absolutely beautiful pixel art. More action oriented though

Donnerberg posted:

Insurmountable comes out on Thursday. It's another loving procedurally generated roguelike.

Wait! Look here before you dip out.

I got it, it's kind of fun and interesting although I feel like they desperately need new scenarios as they begin to repeat frequently. It's devilishly difficult too, super hard to keep all the required meters (energy, body temp, sanity and oxygen) high enough. I would say the replayability is pretty low, although the unique setting does help it a lot.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

skeleton warrior posted:

Before We Leave isn't technically new, but it's new to the Steam store after being an Epic exclusive for a year or so.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073910/Before_We_Leave/

It's an Anno-like, where you lay down building tiles for houses and industries on a hex-grid planet, and tiles can give each other bonuses or maluses depending upon what's next to what. You'll have to colonize multiple islands, and from there, multiple planets, as you gather all of the resources and technology to... something something something because I don't know anyone who has actually gotten beyond the "couple of islands" stage before shrugging and wandering away.

The problem is that the game, in an earnest attempt to be casual and approachable, doesn't give you a lot of useful information. You need food for your people! How much food, how often? Eh. Watch your food inventory and see whether it's going up or down. Do you not have enough food? Maybe you don't have enough local storage? Maybe your supply lanes are too long? Maybe you don't have enough farms? Who knows, there's no way to get that information, so just try changing things and see what happens.

It's... fine when you're on one island, but once you move onto a second island and have to create shipping lanes and manage those lanes because islands produce different things and now you're tracking ten or more commodities by just watching the numbers and trying to identify trends, it's just frustrating and boring. It's not Anno 1800 with its detailed links and defined ratios, it's an Anno from ten years ago with less detail provided.

And then on top of it, there's just an overall theme of despair: the more you build, the unhappier your people get, and the more industries you'll have to put down to provide the goods that make people happy but those industries pollute and add literal gloom to the spaces around them, so you'll need more industries and make more gloom and just in general by the third island I was unsure of why I was making any technological progress when all it did was make everyone unhappy.

On the other hand, it's on sale for $15, and that's practically free, so maybe I just a bad gamer and it's worth your time?

I was wondering if I should get this so thank you for the information. I already didn't love how the game looked and I don't really like keeping track of tons of different numbers so that's a 'no' from me.

Anyways,

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1183580/Terra_Alia/

Terra Alia

quote:

Welcome to a world where the use of magic is not so uncommon. Where powerful spells exist alongside the machines of modern day. In Terra Alia, the regulation of magic is left up to each unique nation. To be able to wield your arcane abilities, you must first learn the language of the land.

In an effort to prevent another global conflict, the nations of Terra Alia have joined together in the regulation magic within their lands. To be able to cast, you’ll have to not only speak in a country’s native tongue, but you must also think in it too in order to grow your magical abilities.

Only cool looking thing about this is that it is using real languages. So it is kind of an educational language learning game I suppose. Haven't played it yet but it's a neat idea.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Getsu Fuma Den is a Konami-published roguelite action platformer with challenging and rewarding, relatively deliberate combat and some of the most beautiful and unique art I've seen in some time. It's only released in Early Access at this time but from my experience it is already extremely polished, I wouldn't even know it was early access if it didn't say so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZiIWdg7P_U

So far I like it although it is VERY skimpy on leveling currencies. I played for several hours and didn't obtain enough whatever to make a single upgrade. But the art is just incredible to look at and a huge positive for this game.

Oldstench posted:

Blind Drive came out a couple of days ago. It's a game played entirely with audio. You are hijacked and blindfolded and forced to drive 2 Fast 2 Furious just using audio cues. Apparently a great game for non-sighted people as well. Pretty cool idea and I love the fact that it's so accessible.

This game is pretty fun, and at the very least it does something totally different. Kind of lives and dies on its audio and luckily the audio is good.

Don't buy if you use speakers and/or can't easily hook up headphones because they are an absolute requirement here.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rising Hell is coming out with the full version this week. I've been playing the early access version for a while and it's an awesome game and great time killer. It gets challenging without being too tense, the vertical levels are fun and the way the combat works is also cool, where you don't actually need to press a button to attack if you just move up or down into an enemy at the correct time. The pixel art is incredible and very vibrant with lots of bright colors, exactly what I love in pixel backgrounds, plus the guitar solo-heavy metal soundtrack is awesome.

You can still get the free demo, and the full game is under ten bucks right now as well. Watch a video of it to see what I mean, the art and general looks are excellent.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/657000/Rising_Hell/

Just Die Already looks right up my alley, I haven't played it yet but it's releasing tomorrow. From the makers of Goat Simulator which I didn't love to play but was fun/funny to watch. Thinking of checking this one out because it looks more polished and just downright silly, good game to play with friends.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979070/Just_Die_Already/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Galactic Mining Corp is a nice-looking base-building/mining roguelike. Not sure how it's exactly gonna work but it seems it's a gameplay loop of upgrading your base, exploring the space around you and a little mining minigame where you descend into the planet. Nice art, looks fun, no clue if it will be decent at all.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1218500/Galactic_Mining_Corp/

quote:

Galactic Mining Corp is a unique rogue-lite, action game with crafting and base building mechanics. Head into uncharted space and discover a universe of locations to exploit for riches! Use your profits to expand your HQ, hire a crazy work force, obtain new drill components and upgrade everything.

Tiny Space Academy looks like Kerbal Space Program except for morons like myself. Basically a mobile game in looks but it might be interesting, and I enjoy building rockets.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519890/Tiny_Space_Academy/

quote:

Tiny Space Academy is a 2D space sim where you can grow your own space agency and explore our solar system with rockets you design! Learn basic orbital mechanics, run science experiments, and get your astronauts back to Earth safely.

The Wild at Heart is a cute-looking, hand-drawn isometric adventure game that I guess has some Pikmin elements where you use little sprites to fight monsters and solve puzzles

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1093290/The_Wild_at_Heart/

quote:

A mysterious hidden realm. Two precocious kids fleeing hardship. Magical creatures and an oddball order of guardians who have lost their way. A stygian evil imprisoned. Welcome to the Deep Woods.

I kind of agree with the reviewer, but the game also just isn't as quality as I expected. There are some decent pixel animations but most are kinda bad. I do like the focus on survival and item use, it's okay. Just an average game in the genre I would say.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Arbetor posted:

And I would like to join the people saying thank you for posting here, it is a great resource.

Agreed! New games are my favorites. I often get bored of games pretty quickly so I am always looking for something new that I can sink a few hours into, and maybe even beat if it is good enough

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Morpheus posted:

This sounds extreeeeeeemely like my poo poo.

I played it yesterday, not gonna lie I was hoping for a bit more gameplay. Mining is okay I guess but I do see it getting old doing it over and over again. Regardless of what or who you are upgrading all it does is have some effect on your drills speed or resistance.

Still somehow managed to waste at least two hours yesterday on it lol. The dopamine is real. But it is essentially an idle game so don't mistake that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Anyways, some new games:

Mayhem in Single Valley is a pixel/voxel puzzler from a 3/4 overhead view that looks kind of interesting.

quote:

In this fast-paced, puzzle-loaded action adventure, you’ll juggle housework, zombie hordes, family dinners and radioactive squirrels! Oh, and you have to prevent the end of the world while keeping everyone from finding out it was all your fault.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/622680/Mayhem_in_Single_Valley/

Sunshine Heavy Industries is a single player story-based 2d spaceship construction game/sandbox. Looks kind of like the bridge games or the ski lift games where you are given a set of requirements and need to put together a space ship that meets them all without overspending. Looks pretty interesting and I enjoy building games like this. Just released into early access I believe, although the game's story is fully done and anything they add would probably just be more spaceship parts and maybe more missions.

quote:

Welcome to Sunshine Heavy Industries, the newest shipyard in this arm of the galaxy. Design 2D ships around increasingly tight constraints. There are countless solutions to every level, and room for all kinds of shipbuilding style and flair.

Meet a colorful cast of space weirdos and help them build their dream ship, while your business partner finds new ways to screw up your reputation with the local pirates.

Assemble spaceships from a wide variety of parts!
Design creative solutions to open-ended problems!
48 levels, with more on the way!
Charming story with a cast of colorful space dweebs!
Tons of replay value!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1542810/Sunshine_Heavy_Industries/

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Gave this one a shot. It's pretty fun. My biggest complaint is that it's (so far) pretty easy. I never felt like I was having trouble beating a level. I always had enough money that I didn't really need to work too hard optimizing my designs. It could really use some a ranking system or some sort of bonus reward to encourage squeezing out that extra bit of efficiency.

Yeah same. So far the restrictions are too easy to meet, even if you are inefficient with your setup. You do get more money but like you said I always have more than enough money to get the new parts from the shop, which is the only place you can spend money. I totally agree, I think they should either tighten the restrictions so they are harder to meet, or at the very least institute a grading system where S is like, the most efficient possible setup. I do enjoy building space ships in it, and I like the humor in the dialogue sections, but it's definitely a slim game.

Lakbay posted:

This game is really good! I didn't play Pikmin 3 but it scratches a Pikmin itch I didn't think I had

Yeah I like it so far! Although it's almost more of a hidden object/puzzzle game than anything else. Best quality is for sure the hand drawn art which just look gorgeous. Story is interesting. Not a lot of challenge though so far, although I only have one type of Spriteling so maybe it gets harder later.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1253520/Heidelberg_1693/

Heidelburg 1693 is a gruesome side scrolling platformer/action game which reminds me a LITTLE bit of Blasephemous, although it is a bit more primitive and the movement is nowhere near as smooth. A lot of the challenge comes from your limited movement and attack abilities. You have a muzzle loading gun that you literally have to stop moving and spend several second packing another cartridge in, plus a sword and a jump slash move. The still frame cutscenes are brutal, as are the enemies, and it seems like you are fighting someone called the Moon King (as opposed to the Sun King of France) who has "flesh art" or the ability to mold people and animals. High challenge level I would say.

quote:

Black magic in the age of pike and shot! Reload your musket after every blast in “Heidelberg 1693”, a challenging 2D action adventure set in a dark and twisted vision of Germany in the late 17th century.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1432200/Not_Another_Weekend/

Not Another Weekend is a point and click adventure game set in the 80s where you are a... well, lemme just copy the description:

quote:

A wacky point n click adventure game featuring a bellboy who needs to empty a hotel from its guests. He only has 2 days. Can he make it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1134100/Frozenheim/

Frozenheim is a Viking-setting basebuilder with RTS elements where you are in charge of a Viking settlement, developing it and sending them out on raids and doing other things I assume. Nice graphics but has mixed reviews on Steam at this point.

quote:

Frozenheim is a serene Norse city builder with elaborate management gameplay and RTS tactical combat. Lead your Viking clan through hardships of the frozen north, season by season, year after year. Build and survive. Set sail, explore and conquer. Win Odin’s favor and secure your place in Valhalla!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1290000/PowerWash_Simulator/

Power Washer Simulator is... exactly what it says on the tin. The ultra-sastisfying feeling of cleaning things with a power washer, but on your computer.

quote:

Release the Pressure with PowerWash Simulator! Wash away your worries with the soothing sounds of high-pressure water. Fire up your power washer and blast away every speck of dirt and grime you can find, all with the simple satisfaction of power-washing to a sparkling finish.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1042380/Hundred_Days__Winemaking_Simulator/

This game isn't super new but I'm not sure if it made it on here. Hundred Days: Winemaking Simulator has a very nice and cute art style, in-depth effects on your grapes and has you guide a vineyard through every part of the winemaking process.

quote:

Winemaking could be your best adventure. Make the best wine interacting with soil and nature and take your winery to the top. Your beautiful journey into the winemaking tradition starts now.

Play fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 22, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Philthy posted:

Spent all day playing this. It feels like how LoopHero felt when you started unlocking poo poo everywhere and you just want to keep going till you lose 5 hours. You mine planets initially at a slow speed through rocks, to unlock more upgrades, to upgrade you workers, to upgrade your base and it all in turn affects your mining drill which is the meat of the game digging to the core of asteroids, moons, planets etc to gain resources to keep your upgrades going. You don't die, you don't lose, so i'm not sure how it's classed a roguelite. It's just a casual game that always gives you a sense of progress and goals you can meet for eternity. For the price, it's pretty fun. The drum and bass soundtrack was unexpectedly awesome.

I think the idea is that since your drill dies every time, leading to persistent upgrades, it VERY loosely classifies as a roguelite. I find that pretty stupid though and almost 100% marketing. Agreed on the soundtrack though, it's good although perhaps could use a few more tracks.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1586880/Essays_on_Empathy/

Essays on Empathy is an intriguing collection of ten short games (that are probably more story than game, but we'll see). Not all of them are new, apparently, but I don't think I've played any of them. I'm assuming it has a more serious, literary vibe than most games.

quote:

A curated compilation of Deconstructeam's best efforts in seeking new narrative experiences in games. Explore 10 unique, offbeat tales including "De Tres al Cuarto," a brand new short experience exclusive to the compilation about a couple of two-bit comedians trying to make it big.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1364100/Lacuna__A_SciFi_Noir_Adventure/

Lacuna: A Sci Fi Noir Adventure is a dialogue driven point and click (I believe) which also features some real time action sections. I love pixel art and detective games and games set in well-realized worlds so I'm definitely getting this, hope it lives up to all that.

quote:

A murder. A hack. A bombing. All it takes to plunge the solar system into war – unless you do something about it. Help CDI agent Neil Conrad make a string of increasingly difficult decisions in this modern dialog-driven adventure set in a gorgeous 2D sci-fi noir universe.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068360/Fearmonium/

Fearmonium is an interesting-looking metroidvania with a focus on phobias, the entire game taking place inside a young boy's mind apparently. Combat actually looks pretty good for a more conceptual game like this. Animation is slightly choppy but it was primarily developed by a single person so for all that the art is a strong suit. I like the idea.

quote:

Fearmonium is a psychedelic metroidvania where suspense intertwines with humour. Beginning the game as an unpleasant memory, you must progress and become a true phobia by breaking through all boundaries to uncover the most hidden corners of Max's mind.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Some takes on games that were posted now that I have actually played them:

Play posted:

Rising Hell is coming out with the full version this week. I've been playing the early access version for a while and it's an awesome game and great time killer. It gets challenging without being too tense, the vertical levels are fun and the way the combat works is also cool, where you don't actually need to press a button to attack if you just move up or down into an enemy at the correct time. The pixel art is incredible and very vibrant with lots of bright colors, exactly what I love in pixel backgrounds, plus the guitar solo-heavy metal soundtrack is awesome.

You can still get the free demo, and the full game is under ten bucks right now as well. Watch a video of it to see what I mean, the art and general looks are excellent.

Rising Hell is amazing, I absolutely love it. Don't sleep on this one if you like roguelikes, pixel art, metal soundtracks, and/or challenging 2d action/bosses.

quote:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/657000/Rising_Hell/

Just Die Already looks right up my alley, I haven't played it yet but it's releasing tomorrow. From the makers of Goat Simulator which I didn't love to play but was fun/funny to watch. Thinking of checking this one out because it looks more polished and just downright silly, good game to play with friends.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/979070/Just_Die_Already/

Didn't like this one. It's amusing for a little bit but it's way more empty than you'd expect. You can only interact with certain things in certain ways so I don't think they achieved their sandbox vision. It's temporarily amusing, and probably more fun with a few friends, but overall not compelling and a skip from me

Play posted:

Mayhem in Single Valley is a pixel/voxel puzzler from a 3/4 overhead view that looks kind of interesting.

Didn't like this one either. I'm not a huge fan of the voxel look to begin with, and the first time I wasn't able to find some gasoline anywhere which I needed to solve a puzzle I ended up quitting.

Play posted:

Tiny Space Academy looks like Kerbal Space Program except for morons like myself. Basically a mobile game in looks but it might be interesting, and I enjoy building rockets.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1519890/Tiny_Space_Academy/

This game is actually way more fun than I thought it would be. Building space ships is fun and harder than you'd think to get everything correct, then when the more complex missions start it is downright hard as gently caress. Not as complex as Kerbal Space Program, and takes place entirely in the 2d realm, but similarly difficult to get your crafts exactly where you want them. A good time waster with a lot more depth than I expected at first.

Main complaint is that the menu and controls are bad and don't have enough options for when you are building ships.

This game has a poo poo tutorial that doesn't explain anything that you need to know to be successful in the game, which really annoyed me. I love the look and the interesting story background so maybe in the future I can get back into it, but upon first play it really annoyed me how poorly they communicated the mechanics to the player.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Some thoughts:

Play posted:

Lacuna: A Sci Fi Noir Adventure is a dialogue driven point and click (I believe) which also features some real time action sections. I love pixel art and detective games and games set in well-realized worlds so I'm definitely getting this, hope it lives up to all that.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1068360/Fearmonium/

Really, really good. Didn't want to stop playing this last night, probably played for at least 4 hours. This kind of game lives and dies on its story and this one has a great case at the center of it, and a great setting. I like the permanent saves, you can't go back and change things and it is legitimately possible to end up with a different situation depending on choices/your detective skills. I wouldn't call the detective work difficult but it does require some thought and sometimes calls for you to go back through old conversations and notes to figure out something exactly. Story whisks along at a fast pace, and has a mature (as in complex and political, not smeagol-bait) story with some light sci fi elements. I haven't finished it, so I don't know how long it is, but I hope there is plenty more game left and I'll be sad when it ends.

quote:

Fearmonium is an interesting-looking metroidvania with a focus on phobias, the entire game taking place inside a young boy's mind apparently. Combat actually looks pretty good for a more conceptual game like this. Animation is slightly choppy but it was primarily developed by a single person so for all that the art is a strong suit. I like the idea.

Impressive that this was made by such a small team, or even one person I can't remember. The animation is a bit of an issue, there just aren't tons of frames probably due to lack of resources. Seems like a pretty solid metroidvania though, you get used to it, and the theme of inner turmoil and the development of a bad memory into a phobia is quite interesting actually. Not an easy game, definitely some challenge in this one. Overall it's not great or anything, decent maybe.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1209410/King_of_Seas/

King of Seas looks like a boat RPG where you are a wooden galleon (or its captain, I guess) exploring a procedurally-generated world but which also has quests and stories. Of course there is ship to ship combat, although from what I can tell it is all sailing, there's no first or third person adventuring on the islands. Looks kind of interesting.

quote:

King of Seas is an Action Role playing game set in a procedural pirate world. An epic adventure awaits you in a fantastic world, dotted with fights, lost islands and treasures. A universe that will keep you anchored as you struggle to become the king of all pirates.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1369520/Strangeland/

A new Wadjet Eye game! Strangeland is a point and click adventure with a really beautiful but strange look, it's well named, and generally these people put out great games.

quote:

You wake in a surreal carnival, where a woman cries out to you before leaping to her death. Who was she? And who are you? The denizens and devices of Strangeland answer with riddles, puzzles, and warnings of a Dark Thing lurking at the park’s peak. A new adventure from the creators of Primordia.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

:pray: ;)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/727930/Second_Hand_Frankies_Revenge/

Second Hand: Frankie's Revenge is a single player/co op action/twin stick shooter type thing where you build your own Frankie out of spare parts then use it to fight some aliens.

quote:

Frankie's Revenge is a 1-4 player co-op action game with badass robots built from household appliances. Players use chainsaws, disco balls, tennis ball launchers and even a time-bending clock to save their world of machines and kick alien robot rear end.

Team up with friends or allies and fight your way through hordes of alien-controlled robots that have overtaken Frankie's world of machines. Assemble your bots from the most unlikely household parts and create a party that complements each other's skills to become the ultimate gear crunching machine.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/944250/Castle_Flipper/

quote:

Castle Flipper is your unique chance to become a medieval royal craftsman. Build your own Kingdom and re-arrange the castle at your own discretion. Breathe a whole new life into the old rooms and maybe one day you will become a King!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1421710/Epic_Palace__Knossos/

Epic Palace: Knossos

quote:

A strategy game based on the latest archaeological knowledge that allows you to immerse yourself in the Bronze Age and the culture of the first European civilization, the Minoans.
Build the Palace of Knossos on the island of Crete. Unlock the 5 stages of the palace by engaging in targeted trade and diplomacy with the trading partners of the time (Byblos, Troy, Mycenae, etc.). Foster technological progress in the fields of agriculture, handicrafts, shipbuilding and architecture, and build up your prestige by decorating your throne room individually with original Minoan frescoes, as well as with ancient art and furniture. But be on your guard and arm yourself against enemy attacks and natural disasters. The future of the Minoans is in your hands!

Featrues
• Construction and economic simulation during the late Bronze Age, with focus on the palace of Knossos
• Trade with a variety of goods and thereby expand your empire on Crete. Use the knowledge gained from around the world to unlock improvements in areas such as agriculture, architecture or handicrafts.
• Be smart when using your resources and celebrate religious festivals, pursue diplomacy or ward off enemy attacks.
• Enter your throne room and equip it with wonderful decorations and frescoes that could only be found in museums.
• Experience the world of Knossos with a unique representation of Crete and the Mediterranean area over 3000 years ago

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1197570/Until_We_Die/

Until We Die is a really cool looking side scrolling 2d base defense game. You might have seen some folks playing it on youtube, it's got a very nice metal slug looking art style, and I've actually really enjoyed these 2d base defense game.

quote:

Until We Die is a base defense strategy game. Your base is the subway station, it's underground part. You'll have to defend it against all sorts of things, brought in by meteorites.

To win, you have to survive for about 30 game days, fending off all the attacks on the base. At first, it'll be small packs of creatures, and by the end, you'll have to fight a sweeping horde of mutants. Also, the game will end early if our hero, Ivan, dies or if the power generator, the heart of the base, is destroyed.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1233590/Warhammer_Age_of_Sigmar_Storm_Ground/

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar Storm Ground

quote:

Conquer the Mortal Realms!

Become the commander of one of the extraordinary factions of Warhammer Age of Sigmar – a dark-fantasy universe where immortal knights ride heavenly stardrakes to eradicate Death across a multitude of realms. This is Storm Ground, a world of legends, heroes, hellish creatures and fearsome battles.

Lead your highly-customisable force in this dynamic and spectacular skirmish turn-based strategy game packed with fast-paced warfare. Victories allow you to collect and upgrade new types of units, powerful equipment, and unlock devastating skills.

Explore all the routes in Storm Ground’s non-linear campaign. During each new playthrough, overcome new odds to find unique units and gears. Build your legendary army and defy other players in epic online duels.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1199030/Tainted_Grail_Conquest/

Tainted Grail: Conquest

quote:

A unique, infinitely replayable, story-driven hybrid between a deck-building Roguelike and an RPG game. Explore the ever-changing maps, fight with deadly enemies, and learn what happened to the cursed island of Avalon.

Also there's a big new expansion for Conan: Exiles

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/p/spelldrifter

Spelldrifter is moving from the app store to Epic, it's a combination turn-based strategy/deckbuilder fantasy game.

quote:

Introducing Spelldrifter, a hybrid tactical role playing game and deck building game that features the best parts of both! Spelldrifter combines the puzzle-like positional tactics of a turn-based RPG battle with the deep customizability and replayability of a collectible card game. The result: a hybrid, wherein players must juggle the resources at their disposal using both time and space. With Spelldrifter’s innovative Tick System, players are challenged to think of card game strategy in a new light. With each character action, the turns interweave on a single timeline. With mastery of the timeline, players gain great advantage in battle and earn the satisfaction of decisive victory. Select your party of heroes, build your decks, and embark on an adventure deep into Starfall as you search for the entrance to the mysterious Labyrinth!

Subjunctive posted:

What? Where? Give!

https://www.conanexiles.com/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1206200/Conan_Exiles_Isle_of_Siptah/

quote:

Isle of Siptah is a massive expansion to the open world survival game Conan Exiles, featuring a vast new island to explore, huge and vile new creatures to slay, new building sets and a host of new features. Fight the elder races in new underground dungeons. Defeat demonic monstrosities that spawn from a storm of pure chaos. Dominate the surge to capture powerful thralls summoned from the mainland.

You arrive at the island shipwrecked and alone. With nothing but the scraps on your back, you craft the tools you need to survive. At first a simple camp and some crude stone tools, with time a fortress and brutal greatswords made from hardened steel or obsidian.

Your eyes are drawn towards the center of the island, where a dark tower looms above the landscape. The violent storm that swirls around it seems to gather strength and unspeakable horrors stalk within. But your most dangerous foe may be the other survivors on the island, as resources are scarce and the fight for survival is savage and brutal.

Start a fresh, new experience on the massive Isle of Siptah. Explore sun-drenched beaches strewn with shipwrecks, dense and tall Redwood forests, broad valleys dotted with ancient Acheronian ruins, a resettled Stygian colony, ominous camps overrun with pirates and the foreboding Tower of Siptah at the island’s center.

Play fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 27, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I’ve had Siptah since March, I wonder what’s going on there.

Huh, it has the release date as today. Maybe since you were already playing the game you were technically in the beta?

Either way, I am a little curious about this game. Is it good? What's it all about? I remember a Conan game somewhat recently but I thought it was single player and apparently impossibly hard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sorry, one more.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1075170/Weaving_Tides/

Weaving Tides is a cute-looking and unique indie game with the primary mechanic being an interesting weaving thing which you use to solve puzzles and "defeat" bosses. I've been watching this one for a while and it looks super interesting.

quote:

Dive into a magical woven world on the back of your own carpet dragon! Explore the textile landscape, solve puzzles, challenge quirky creatures and unravel the great mysteries of a long forgotten past in Weaving Tides!

Stitch and cut your way through the textile landscape. Use the weavers abilities to wrap up your foes and conquer tricky zelda-like dungeons and puzzles. Choose the weaver which fits your playstyle and outfit them with mystic embroideries to further enhance their abilities.

Dive into an enchanting, textile landscape and be swept away by the colorful cast of characters with fully hand painted portraits and the captivating musical score.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263350/The_Company_Man/

The Company Man is a combat-heavy metroidvania inspired by work life, and looks pretty funny with some very amusing enemy models. Gonna check this out.

quote:

Battle the corporate machine in The Company Man! A 2D action-adventure where you can hit your crazy co-workers with a keyboard and shoot your evil bosses with emails. Survive the struggles of working life and fulfill your lifelong quest to be CEO!

THE WAR OF WORK
Jim finally graduates from university, ready to launch his epic career in the Good Water Company. But things quickly spiral into insanity as he finds himself fighting to keep his job.

Drink coffee to survive the tortures of working life. Learn the quirks of each department, from the air-conditioned ice lands of accounting to the mountains of paperwork in human resources, beating every floor on your journey to the top!

GAME FEATURES
-Unique enemies including real-life inspired farting co-workers.
-Beautifully painted environments.
-Thoughtfully crafted hand-drawn animations.
-Classic side-scrolling action.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the part that stands out is the unusually thorough and helpful mature content warning. huh.

Saying that the English language wasn't supported is what stood out to me. You don't see that very often. It does look like a cool game though so hopefully the English is coming as OP said

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1375400/Ghosts_n_Goblins_Resurrection/

Ghost n' Goblins: Resurrection is a remake of two old school Ghosts n' Goblins games, with updated art that looks great but the same punishing difficulty the original was known for.

quote:

Watch as this nostalgic yet completely reimagined storybook world unravels before your very eyes.

Taking cues from both Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts and giving birth to something entirely new, Resurrection is a title worthy of its name.

Don't be fooled—this picturesque storybook world, while gorgeous, is a love-letter to the original titles and maintains the same punishing gameplay that fans have come to expect. So go on and test your mettle, for the gauntlet has been thrown!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1198590/Stonefly/

Stonefly is an action-adventure game with a unique tiny setting where you battle bugs and mine resources with your mini-mech. Early reviews praise the worldbuilding and art but criticize the artificial grind that's been put in to stretch out the experience.

quote:

Harness the wind and soar through the wilderness of Stonefly. Brilliant but naïve inventor Annika Stonefly must recover a lost family heirloom using her smarts and strategy. Glide strategically among flora and fauna, confronting hungry bugs, adventures, and memorable characters. Along the way, you'll unravel a heartwarming story of self-discovery, family, legacy, and belonging.

Chill and tranquil action-adventure gameplay punctuated by unique and skillful bug showdowns. Stun ‘em. Shoo ‘em. Get the loot.

Invent and craft new abilities for your mech while customizing it to match your play style.

Take on a variety of bug types to harvest minerals, then use them to craft specialized mech parts.

Glide through tree canopies, across marshes, among prickly briars, and breathtaking nature throughout missions.

Richly handcrafted art, equally inspired by mid-century modern design and the natural world. 

Forge relationships with a cast of memorable characters from the Acorn Corps, a band of castaway mech pilots.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Some quick thoughts on previous games I got:

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1375400/Ghosts_n_Goblins_Resurrection/

Ghost n' Goblins: Resurrection is a remake of two old school Ghosts n' Goblins games, with updated art that looks great but the same punishing difficulty the original was known for.

This game is way too loving hard. gently caress this poo poo, for real

quote:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1198590/Stonefly/

Stonefly is an action-adventure game with a unique tiny setting where you battle bugs and mine resources with your mini-mech. Early reviews praise the worldbuilding and art but criticize the artificial grind that's been put in to stretch out the experience.

I honestly love this one. A lot of games have nice art but this one's art is so fundamental to everything about it and works SO well for this game. Jumping and gliding amongst the plants in your little upgradeable mech is drat fun, and the bug combat is fun and surprisingly tough as well. It takes good tactics, strategy and reflexes to be consistently successful, especially when there are a lot of bugs to fight. The story is serviceable and pushes things along without being an impediment to the action.

I actually don't have any problem with the grind, which is not severe and is fun to do anyways. I think I've only had to go out on a non-story mission one time to get some resources for a further upgrade to continue. If anyone likes the look of this pick it up, although fair warning it does not seem like an exceedingly lengthy game, probably 8 to 10 hours. But it is just gorgeous and reminds me favorably of their other game Creature in the Well:

New games that look interesting to me:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1240550/Until_the_Last_Plane/

Until the Last Plane, air squadron management game that looks fun.

quote:

The Game
This is the story of people who fought in the World War II: brave pilots who soared through the vast skies, and the smart engineers who helped them by managing their planes. In Until the Last Plane, you've been assigned to the management of a WWII airfield. Spend your military goods wisely, recruit pilots, and create the right parts for your planes. When you're ready, send a squadron out to accomplish your next mission!

Key Features
3 playable nations: USA, USSR and Germany
3 different campaigns for each nation
6 planes for each nation
fuel and ammunition management
spare parts crafting system
decision-making events
Airfield management
Repair the planes as quickly as possible so they can get back into action!

Different kind of mini-games
Not only dogfight! You'll also have to bomb various targets: bases or vehicles

Workshop management
Craft components for airplanes. Choose the component and assign more mechanics to reduce construction time. Never leave the warehouse without spare parts.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915310/SNKRX/

SNKRX takes the snake cell phone game formula and turns it into an arcade action roguelike where each link of your body has its own attack and synergies and such. Only 2.99 and it has a nice if incredibly simple look.

quote:

SNKRX is an arcade shooter roguelite where you control a snake made of multiple heroes, with each one having their own attacks, passives and classes. Inspired by the auto-battler genre, each hero in the snake has a set of classes, and combining enough heroes of the same class together grants additional class bonuses. Heroes can also be upgraded to be more powerful when copies are bought from the shop.

Gameplay
Your snake can't stop moving, turn it left or right to steer
Your heroes attack automatically when close to enemies
Combine heroes of the same classes together to unlock unique class bonuses
Clearing arenas grants gold, which can be used to hire heroes at the shop
Buying enough copies of the same heroes levels them up, making them more powerful

Features
40+ heroes, each with unique attacks and passives
12+ classes, each giving stat boosts and modifiers to your snake
40+ passive items, each giving strong global effects to your snake
25+ levels of increasing difficulty as the run progresses
15+ Steam achievements
Soundtrack by Kubbi

Play fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 2, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Donnerberg posted:

The Last Spell comes out as early access in fifteen minutes.

It seems to be a take on the horde survival mode from games like Gears of War and Dawn of War 2 with some degree of base building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilLiHt2gpIc

Trip report. It's fun and good. It's a lot like the zombie missions in XCOM2. Turn-based, squad management, where you try to make the most of your skills to kill anything that moves.

I played the beta quite a bit. Mainly I found it a bit too hard and slightly depressing. There's really no such thing as a true "win" on any given night, feels like you're being constantly reduced until you don't have a chance. Perhaps they've changed it but that ended up turning me off, despite the fact that I absolutely adore the art style used, that high-def pixel style.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...cal%20treasure.

The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a narrative adventure game which strongly reminds me of Firewatch, in which you use a metal detector to search for ... something and apparently there is a bit of romance too.

quote:

The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a first-person, romantic, metal-detecting game. You play as Adam, a sharp-witted but compassionate man returning to his childhood village of Stanning. There he'll help a woman named Beth on her mission to unearth a local treasure. As cracks begin to appear in Beth’s fairy tale plan for everything, you’ll delve into her history and discover all may not be as it seems. And you’ll have to choose how Adam responds to Beth as she faces her demons.

Gameplay combines laid-back metal detecting and exploration with a strong interpersonal narrative, all set in a beautiful English countryside. The Magnificent Trufflepigs is a game about trying to find something, and the tone it sets is like a typical English summer: mostly pleasant, but with stormy moments that threaten to ruin everything.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1454050/Tour_de_France_2021/

Tour de France 2021 is obviously a long distance cycling game. I played last year's version and it was surprisingly engaging. It has a lot of strategic elements over the course of a stage where you decide what you're going for: sprints, climbs, stage win etc. and have to balance your energy reserves and strategies to succeed. Probably mainly for bike racing fans, although I'm not really that and I still liked it.

quote:

Win the yellow jersey with the official game of the Tour de France 2021. All 21 stages and the biggest Classics are included. Experience a new objective system, a redesigned My Tour mode and other new features!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1335230/Sumire/

Sumire is a super casual narrative adventure game that looks really cute. Not really my thing but many people like these kind of games.

quote:

One Day, One Life. Sumire is a magical narrative adventure about choices made, and dreams lost and found. Embark on a mysterious journey to help Sumire achieve her deepest wishes, before the day ends and the sky turns to twilight.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1046400/Astalon_Tears_of_the_Earth/

Astalon: Tears of the Earth is a pixel art side scroller that I've had my eye on for a while. Three main characters, and I believe you can switch between them at any time although I could be wrong.

quote:

Uphold your pact with the Titan of Death, Epimetheus! Fight, climb and solve your way through a twisted tower as three unique adventurers, on a mission to save their village from impending doom!

Three heroic explorers wander the post-apocalyptic desert on a mission to save their village from despair. They soon find a dark, twisted tower that has risen from the depths of the planet and seemingly holds the key to their survival. In order to ensure their victory, one of them has made a secret pact with the Titan of Death, Epimetheus, allowing them to reincarnate until they have accomplished their mission. But what fate lies in store for the heroes and their village?

Astalon: Tears Of The Earth is an action-platformer set in a dying world where life is cruel, but death can be a stepping stone to victory! Use the unique skills and weapons of Arias the fighter, Kyuli the rogue, and Algus the wizard, to surmount the mysterious tower and find the answers to their survival. Slay terrible monsters, discover powerful artifacts, and solve fiendish puzzles, reaching new heights in the tower with the aid of a Titan. Follow a story about friendship and sacrifice, building up the courage to take down giants to protect the weak and powerless. Strengthen your party and change their fate by embracing death. Discover the countless secrets of the Tower of Serpents!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1263100/Last_Kids_on_Earth_and_the_Staff_of_Doom/

Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of Doom is a semi-open world action RPG with kids who fight zombies/monsters

quote:

Battle hordes of zombies and monsters in The Last Kids on Earth and the Staff of Doom, a semi open world action RPG that tells a new story in the post-apocalyptic town of Wakefield. Playing as teen survivors Jack, Quint, June or Dirk, you’ll explore zombie-infested streets on your quest to stop Malondre, a powerful adversary from obtaining the Staff of Doom. When you are surrounded by enemies, use your heroes’ unique combat skills to defend the tree house. Summon sorcerer Bardle, warrior Skaelka and other allies for help in battle. Craft upgrades to strengthen your abilities, the treehouse, and getaway vehicle Big Mama. Up to 4 players can tackle the story together in couch co-op or take on waves of enemies in Horde Mode. Can you defeat giant bosses from the animated series, including an all-new enemy, Malondre?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338770/Sniper_Ghost_Warrior_Contracts_2/

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 is pretty self-explanatory, a single player game where you shoot people in their testicles and stuff.

quote:

Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 marks the most challenging entry to the acclaimed series yet, introducing extreme long-range sniping with targets over 1000m away. Featuring a dramatic single-player campaign set in modern day Middle East, experience high-pressure tactical combat, deep inside enemy territory.

Take on the role of Raven, Contract Sniper Assassin, as he embarks on a new series of contracts in a lawless region of the Middle East, located along the Lebanese and Syrian borders. Tasked with a seemingly impossible task, your mission is to topple an insidious criminal syndicate and bring them to justice.

Series veterans are in for a challenge, as Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 demands a new level of skill, focus, and precision, with many targets now over a 1000m away - a first for the series.

Developed by the same studio behind the original game, Contracts 2 pushes new boundaries with its hyper-realistic sniping experience; master a wide arsenal of weaponry based on realistic military equipment; explore vast terrains with an enhanced level of detail; and confront the series’ most lifelike enemies to date.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1264280/Slipways/

Slipways is an interesting-looking space strategy game which strips down and simplifies the experience, creating bite-sized games and a less steep learning curve where you join planets and systems together in certain ways.

quote:

Slipways takes the space grand strategy genre and condenses the best parts of it down by throwing away all the micromanagement and the steep learning curve. The result is a unique blend of the strategy and puzzle genres in which you can finish a run quickly, but still have a deep experience full of tough decisions.

MAKE TRADE, NOT WAR
Colonize planets, carefully pick industries and hook everything up so that your planets support each other. Line everything up just right and watch your colonies evolve and grow, giving you even more options for profitable trade. Make long-term plans and bask in your own glory when that one last connection makes six planets upgrade at the same time and gives you the income you desperately need.

There is no military aspect to pull your focus away from the economy. The game is more relaxed than your typical grand strategy. It's all about exploring space and its endless opportunities, shaping it to your whim and developing it to its full potential. No need for war with so much empty universe to claim.

FASTER THAN LIGHT
Forget about tedious micromanagement and waiting for ships to be built. In Slipways, every action you take has immediate consequences, and every choice you make is of paramount importance. Your planets govern themselves while you focus on making the right decisions to get them what they need. You'll waste none of your precious time on busywork. A single run takes 40-60 minutes and they are all filled with the good stuff.

TECH IT UP A NOTCH
There are no boring technologies here. Instead of making a single building 20% more efficient, technologies in Slipways let you move planets at will, harness stars for energy or colonize planets with sentient machines instead of people. The selection varies each run, so you'll have to plan carefully and adapt to the situation at hand. The path you choose will profoundly change your experience and the way you look at the game's planets and resources.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

joe football posted:

This looks kind of neat but man is $40 asking a lot for what it is or looks like. I guess per the description it's based on some kind of existing property so they're banking on that

Yeah I wouldn't pay that or anything near that, frankly. Also didn't know it was for kids which means it's probably too easy for adults

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kalthir posted:

Picked this up and played 6-7 hours yesterday. Like skeleton warrior said, it's essentially a randomized puzzle game. The first comparisons that come to mind are Islanders, Dorfromantik and Puzzlepelago. I'm having a lot of fun with it. The randomness is a valid criticism, and I find myself restarting a game a few times over before settling on one to play to the end, but personally it doesn't bother me. Runs are seeded so you can try to optimize your run on a known map if that's your thing. The UX is good, haven't seen any bugs so far. Replayability also seems good, still haven't touched the campaign (which seems to be a regular run but with additional objectives) or the ranked runs. For 15€ I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah I played it a bit myself. Dorfromantik is a good comp, although it's more demanding and less chill than that one. I have mixed feelings to be honest. It's kind of a puzzle game, but the kind where you just kind of do what you can rather than find some specific and clever solution. I like it to some extent, but at some point I just find myself checking and rechecking planets over and over trying to find a move that actually makes sense. There is a "perfect" way to do each map, I suppose, so that's kind of neat, but it didn't really get me going.

Can't recommend this one enough. It really is a platformer without platforms, and it really does work. The controls are super tight, there's enough challenge to make it fun, and my goodness... the art and music is just out of this world. These beautiful designs that look like a felt tip marker on frosted glass, mixed in with interesting platformer mechanics. Huge hit imo and with it being 4.49 USD right now at launch, totally worth it.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1299360/Mighty_Goose/

Benn playing this a lot this weekend, it's drat fun. Metal Slug Goose Game I suppose, real title is Mighty Goose. Just fun run and gun action, with powerups and tons of enemies and vehicles and stuff. Perfect amount of challenge in my opinion where you will die but can learn quickly.

quote:

Traveling the galaxy, hunting down evil. This is the life of Mighty Goose. One of the galaxy's most credited bounty hunters!

At the core Mighty Goose is a tight side scrolling run & gun shooter that will test your skill, timing, reflexes. Building upon that solid arcade base, the game adds a ton of crazy weapons, warmachines, upgrades and secrets.

Assume the role of Mighty Goose and bring the fight to the Void King. This galaxy conquering monarch commands a vast army of minions and mechanised monsters. Dealing with these baddies means traveling to distant worlds and facing all kinds of dangers. But not to worry, this is no problem for the legendary Mighty Goose!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1525660/Sunblaze/

Sunblaze is a very Celeste-like room-based platformer. The small, hand-crafted levels are almost half puzzle game and half platformer. You need to figure out exactly what combination of moves will get you what you need, then execute them which can be easier said than done. Pretty cool little game. Tough as well, I died dozens of times just in the first few series of rooms, not sure how far it goes beyond that.

quote:

”Whose blood is that on the walls?” -Josie

Josie is up for a challenge. Her dad, a retired superhero, has fixed his superhero training simulator and lets Josie go in there to play around a bit. After all, show us a parent who wouldn't want to train their daughter to be a superhero? But then suddenly the training room goes rogue, and... Josie is up for a challenge.

In this tough, hand-crafted precision platformer, you’ll play as Josie, aka. Sunblaze, with a mission to complete your superhero training. The training room is full of puzzles, brain-tickling challenges, obstacles, TNT, spikes, drones... And a purrfect sidekick: the cat. You have got a cat. What else do you need?

Well, skills. That’s what you need. The ever-changing training room keeps on bringing you challenge after challenge, and you'll stay glued up on your controller for hours.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

External Organs posted:

Gah, this looks like Escape Velocity....dope as hell

I played it a bit recently, it's still in early access so some can be forgiven but from what I could gather you go from star system to star system collecting resources by destroying rocks and bad guy ships and using them to "save" people on the planet. The whole "story" is shown in a tiny little window in the bottom right corner which is a strange choice. None of the combat seemed to have much difficulty at all, it was more difficult just figuring out what should be done next.

On the plus side it is good-looking imo, I really like the look, and the controls work decently. Just needs a lot more content and is a bit...inscrutable I guess I might call it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1578250/Warplane_inc/

Warplane Inc is a 2d mission-based warplane thingy with a bit of narrative and an upgrade path.

quote:

Warplane inc is a 2D flight simulator in which the player will get acquainted with the history of a hypothetical war, the stories of its heroes and victims, as well as the development of military aviation. Learn to fly, win your missions and earn money to upgrade your plane and weapons. Finally buy a nuclear bomb and ... can you press the button? If you start it, you have no chance to stopping it.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1620970/Blue_Rabbit/

Blue Rabbit is a fast paced cyberpunk-aesthetic platformer with a bit of combat and a 16 bit look.

quote:

You find yourself in a futuristic dystopian city. You get the idea: Dark smog. A rogue A.I. Corporate drones. Actual, literal drones. The whole enchilada. In this fast-paced 2D platformer, you play as Arisu, a Runner tasked to deliver the ambiguous Blue Rabbit "packages". Traverse the roofs of giant skyscrapers and explore the dangerous metropolis. Unlock upgrades in order to uncover new areas.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1323540/Aerial_Knights_Never_Yield/

Aerial Knight's Never Yield is a 3D-looking (but 2D in action) endless runner set in a future Detroit with what should be a pretty bangin' soundtrack. Made by a Detroiter named Neil Jones.

quote:

Take the role of Wally. A mysterious character that has recovered what was taken from him. Hopefully, you're fast enough to outrun your enemies. Expose the truth and try to uncover the mystery of what happened to them. With an average runtime of an action movie (about an hour and a half on Normal), a first run of this action-packed adventure can be enjoyed in an afternoon. Afterwards you can improve your score.

Aerial_Knight's Never Yield is a 3D side-scroller that plays much like a classic endless runner. The game has an interesting story that keeps players always in motion. Run, Jump, Slide or "Dash" for acrobatic variants leading to dope combinations and avoid the challenges that await. Aerial_Knight's Never Yield is being built for players who love to speedrun games while being an experience that casual players will enjoy as well.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367300/Blade_Assault/

Blade Assault is a very nice-looking roguelite action platformer hack and slash that just released in early access. Reminiscent of Dead Cells or Foregone but with art that is more my style and what looks like a larger moveset.

quote:

Blade Assault is a 2D action rogue-lite platformer with beautiful pixel art set in a desolate sci-fi world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I played a tiny bit last night, I don't think I got to whatever twist people seem to dislike but it's a very, very simple game. Not a lot going on in terms of thought or gameplay, you can pretty much just doofus your way through the entire thing. Pixel art is very beautiful, no doubt about that, but it seems a bit of an empty package overall. Remains to be seen about the story, at least for me.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pros to Play checking out new games and writing them up: more games, more opinions, and I'm not the only one keeping this thread going! :toot:

It's rewarding to me because I have bad ADD, games bore me quickly so I love discovering new ones.

New Games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1642890/Disc_Golf_Valley/

Disc Golf Valley used to be a mobile game, but I love disc golf so I thought I'd put it up here. Simple but fun gameplay.

quote:

Disc Golf Valley is a Disc Golf Game aiming to capture the thrill and excitement of playing real Disc Golf.

Features
14 spectacular courses.
Thousands of unique discs to collect and throw.
Challenge mode where you get to challenge each course and unlock new discs.
Tournament mode.
Three different practice modes.
Pro shop where you can buy new discs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1422190/Fuzz_Force_Spook_Squad/

Fuzz Force: Spook Squad is a dicebuilder in stead of a deckbuilder that uses dice which you contrinually upgrade and improve and change around in battles.

quote:

Roll into a dicey deckbuilder set in a spooky board game world. Capture ghosts as the elite Spook Squad using their customisable Dice-Powered weaponry. Navigate eerie areas filled with battles, treasure and random events on your mission to capture the ghoulish PolterPrince.

Four unique characters offer their own strengths in battles through upgradeable stats. Unlock additional weapons to modify how each plays.

Upgrade your Dice-powered weaponry by finding stronger dice and passive ability modules. Discover the synergies between the dice, their status effects, modules and your character's skills for a highly customisable playstyle.

Also there are new pc ports of Wings of Darkness, No More Heroes 1 and No More Heroes 2

Play fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1193430/Vapormaze/

v a p o r m a z e is a physics-based roguelite FPS that has a nice simple look to it and sees you trying to escape a maze by shooting robots and stuff

quote:

vapormaze is a roguelite first-person shooter in a vaporwave maze.
You are trapped in a maze of lies. To escape, you must find the truth. Shoot robots, jump spikes, buy guns, get upgrades, throw bombs and explode the system. Can you escape?

The game takes you through mazes filled with dangerous robots and obstacles. In each maze level, Helios will share his knowledge and ideas. Maybe you can reflect about them and find a meaning while wandering the corridors. Maybe not.

Death is permanent, but some progression is saved between runs.

Average session is between 20 minutes and 1 hour.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1395400/The_Corruption_Within/

The Corruption Within is a point and click adventure narrative game. Art doesn't really resonate with me but it does look like an interesting story.

quote:

Synopsis: You have just enjoyed a camping holiday with your family when your wife and two young children go missing. With no way to contact anyone you head towards the only source of civilization for miles around - a grand old mansion by a lake. You soon find yourself drawn into a bigger mystery while you desperately try to find your family.

Artistic Style: The game employs a style that mixes realism with surrealism, which compliments the atmosphere of the story. The artwork is detailed low-res pixel art using a custom-made colour palette.

Game Style: The Corruption Within is a psychological thriller first-person point & click adventure game set in the Victorian era. There will be plenty of puzzles to solve, secrets to discover, characters who may help or mislead you.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1218810/_Fareo_Shadowlands/

Fareo Shadowlands is a not particularly great-looking game for my money but looks kind of interesting with some unique strategy mechani9cs.

quote:

"Fareo: Shadowlands" is a turn-based RPG which is both challenging and of deck building depth.

The story takes place in Fareo, a world with fast-growing machinery and magic. When the creatures from all over the world were busy blending the flames of war after defeating Sakia, a weird rift appeared in Kolytte. The rift connect the real world to Shadowlands that devour energy to expand. Auland, Chantigard, The Council and Guardians of Nature are grouping their army to investigate the Shadowlands.

Replace the characters' movement distance in traditional SRPGs with the distinctive "Command Card". In the battle, you can not only experience the pleasure of combat scenes, but also enjoy the satisfaction brought by strategic resource management.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Obligatum VII posted:

Chicory: A colorful Tale released today! It's the same person who made Wandersong, if you played that game. I remember playing the demo a few months back and being fairly intrigued, so I'm jumping on this immediately and will try to remember to come back and edit in some of my impressions of the game:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1123450/Chicory_A_Colorful_Tale/

Huh they said on that new games stream that this was for PS4 and PS5 so I thought it was an exclusive but it's not! It's also on steam. Really wanna try this one out, I enjoyed Wandersong and this looks just as unique

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Experimenting with putting some pictures up so people can see what the games look like. Usually that helps me decide just as much or more as any words written about them. A nice Friday for game releases!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/761010/Wave_Break/

Wave Break I believe used to be a Stadia exclusive. The so-called "world's first skateboating game." I think it looks cool

quote:

Wave Break is the world's first skateBOATING game, inspired by arcade skateboarding classics. Grind, grab, kickflip and shoot your way through an explosive 80s crime-filled Miami Vice themed world.

Enjoy an episodic single player campaign, ranked online multiplayer, multiple custom game modes, and an advanced park creator. From tropical beaches to frozen tundras, ride the waves and score the world's biggest combo with style.

Challenge yourself with familiar objectives, collectibles and high score missions. It’s skateBOAT or die as the rivalry between Wave Break’s usual suspects plays out in an episodic storyline involving guns, kickflips, and blood money.

Create the park of your dreams using our advanced in-game Park Creator! Create and edit ONLINE with friends, or do it solo for super-focus. [Upload custom images, 3D models, and share your parks on the Steam Workshop.

Vibe out to Wave Break’s fresh and 100% stream safe soundtrack featuring original songs from some of the best synthwave artists in the scene like Timecop1983, Kalax, and many more!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1644140/Valley_of_No_Roads/

Valley of No Roads is a chill, city building puzzle type game with proc gen landscapes. Another genre I could definitely enjoy.

quote:

Valley of No Roads is a city building puzzle, that creates beautiful sceneries while you find your way to expand it further. You place blocks of houses that come in different shapes and sizes, surround fields, towers, gain points for abilities and create bridges to cross lakes and rivers. In Valley of No Roads you can enjoy the view and build the town as you want it or try to make it as dense and optimal for competing at the leaderboards.

You start the game with few blocks made of houses, placing those on the corners of previous houses. Every area has its tasks to be fulfilled, requiring you to place certain amount of blocks, creating new bodies of water or migrating a market square to the area. These tasks vary and by fullfilling those, you unlock new parts of the map. You are rewarded of every block you place and every task you fullfill, so gaining points can be tricky!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1384160/GUILTY_GEAR_STRIVE/

Guilty Gear -Strive- is the "conclusion" to the anime-style fighting game series. 2D character frames on 3D backgrounds provides a nice look, and the series is famed for its deep combat.

quote:

Discover the Smell of the Game with Guilty Gear -Strive-! Immerse yourself in new gameplay mechanics designed to be simple and welcoming for fighting game newcomers, yet deep and creative for veterans. Ride the Fire into a heavy metal inspired alternate future full of over-the-top action, style and fun! Blazing!

“Guilty Gear -Strive-“ is the latest entry in the critically acclaimed Guilty Gear fighting game franchise. Created by Daisuke Ishiwatari and developed by Arc System Works, “Guilty Gear -Strive-“ upholds the series’ reputation for a high octane soundtrack, groundbreaking hybrid 2D/3D cell-shaded graphics and intense, rewarding gameplay.

Head into the final confrontation with That Man, the person responsible for all the destruction and damage to the world and and it's inhabitants. Join Sol Badguy, his rival Ky Kiske, and a total starting roster of 15 unique characters as they face the astonishing conclusion to a story 20 years in the making!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1367300/Blade_Assault/

Blade Assault is a 2D roguelite combat platformer with some wave-based enemy mechanics and a complex and responsive combat system.

quote:

Blade Assault is a 2D action rogue-lite platformer with beautiful pixel art set in a desolate sci-fi world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

After the devastating Red Stone War, the world is divided into three regions: the mutant infested outside grounds, the Undercity where people have fled to seek refuge from mutants, and the sky city Esperanza where the rich and powerful rule over the world. Fight against the corrupt military of Esperanza as part of the resistance force of the Undercity. Bring the corrupt to justice by becoming stronger and fighting alongside your trusty comrades.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1049710/Minute_of_Islands/

Minute of Islands is a hand-drawn (and very beautiful) puzzle platformer (mostly puzzle) where you explore some islands in a very strange world and try to solve some puzzles to save it.

quote:

Explore strange and wonderful islands and dark labyrinths below in this narrative puzzle platformer. Guide young mechanic Mo on her quest to repair a world on the brink of collapse. The powerful Omni Switch at your disposal may not be enough to fix the damage that hides beneath the surface...

You are Mo, a skilled tinkerer, living with her family on a pastoral archipelago, once inhabited by an ancient race of inscrutable giants. Their otherworldly but vital machines, festering in the underbellies of the islands themselves, must be kept going or an almost forgotten threat will swallow all. Mo vows to restore the hidden engines in time, but is this truly what she needs?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/893720/One_Hand_Clapping/

One Hand Clapping is an early access *microphone* based game where you literally sing into a microphone in order to play the game. Sort of a spiritual sequel to Wandersong I guess. From what I've seen you use your voice to make platforms where a higher pitch is a higher portion and a lower pitch is lower, although I'm sure there are various mechanics at play. I don't have a mic on my pc which is a shame because I'd like to play this.

quote:

One Hand Clapping is a 2D platformer that invites you to sing into your microphone to solve musical puzzles and discover the power of your voice as it changes the world.

This exceptionally unique game provides you the freedom to express yourself through its mechanics, helping you build confidence in both your singing voice and the voice within you. Don't worry about hitting the wrong notes, One Hand Clapping is all about taking risks and learning from your mistakes. Find out just how far your voice can take you! The world of One Hand Clapping is full of vibrant landscapes and mysterious characters portrayed through a warm, minimalist aesthetic that inspires self-expression without overwhelming the senses.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1547890/Lets_Build_a_Zoo/

Let's Build a Zoo is a more cute version, and pixel art based, of the zoo creation/management genre, except you can combine animals apparently.

quote:

It's time to Build a Zoo! Construct and decorate enclosures, buy and breed animals, hire zookeepers and vets... then try your hand at DNA splicing, and stitch together over 300,000 different types of animal. This can only go smoothly...

Lumberhill is a 1-4 person party-style game about completing tasks while various issues try to trip you up.

quote:

A crazy multiplayer party game in which lumberjacks try to complete tasks with nature fighting them every step of the way. Race against the clock, fight wildfires, pirates, and extremely annoying monkeys as you travel around the world and through time. Play online/local co-op and pvp or play solo.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/890890/Green_With_Energy/

Green With Energy is an interesting looking puzzle/management style game where you try and design the most efficient and durable power grid system.

quote:

A relaxing game where you become a power engineer and iteratively design, test and build power grid designs. Balance budget, efficiency, and environmental impact, across a variety of biomes and climates. Will you build resilient systems, or cobble something together with duct tape? It's your choice.

Take on the role of an engineer and work towards a green future. Your goal is to build self-sufficient power grids for towns and cities and cut out dependence on fossil fuels. Evaluate the unique needs of the local area and design solutions making best use of the elements around you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

There are cheap USB mics that'll probably work well enough.

I've been thinking about getting a headset thing, both for games that are better on headphones instead of speakers and to interact in the very few online multiplayer games I play. That should work right?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

As funny as the description is the videos are almost weirder because it's impossible to tell what is supposed to be happening in them, if anything is actually happening at all lol.

At least it has a unique look I suppose

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Superrodan posted:

I appreciate how much you contribute to this thread and have a feeling this was answered in an earlier post but do you try all of the games you post here or are these descriptions being curated/compiled from somewhere else? The main reason I ask is because this caught my eye but even the positive reviews I'm seeing are essentially saying the puzzles are less of a focus and imply this is more of a narrative walking sim style game than a full on puzzle game.

Sometimes I've already played the games by the time I post and sometimes not. This one not, although I saw it played played in beta form on youtube a while back since the art intrigued me. I think it's still true that it's more of a narrative puzzle game than a platformer, since the movement is slow and doesn't have the qualities of a platformer, but it may also be more of a walking sim than either of those things, I don't really know.

So just take those sections as my general impressions which may or may not be based on playing the game, and have exactly as much credibility as that would suggest! That is to say, very little.

Couldn't find any good-looking games today but I did play this one:

Play posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/890890/Green_With_Energy/

Green With Energy is an interesting looking puzzle/management style game where you try and design the most efficient and durable power grid system.

It's bad. I couldn't even figure out how to work it, I did what it seemed to be vaguely instructing and nothing seemed to happen. In general it didn't look great either. There is some promise in what is essentially a puzzle based around energy efficiency and consistency but at this point it's not there at all

Edit: This game, on the other hand, looks interesting and is releasing on Steam today having apparently already been on the app store for a while:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1502710/Agent_Intercept/

Agent Intercept seems to be a sort of driving adventure game with linear levels/encounters and a vehicle that can transform from car, to boat, to plane, to sand sled, etc. all with the overarching narrative of trying to stop the conspiracy of a massive criminal organization. Definite 70s action movie vibes. Looking at some reviews, though, they complain that it looks and feels like a mobile game and that the mechanics don't actually deliver. I don't think anyone has played it on PC yet though.

quote:

Leap into the driver's seat of an epic narrative of intrigue, betrayal, and unbelievable set-pieces. Stop the nefarious criminal organization CLAW and save the world from total destruction in your slick, souped-up, transforming vehicle.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

priznat posted:

Agent Intercept is on Apple Arcade and it’s got a bit of a Spy Hunter vibe for sure but wasn’t really interesting enough to stick with for long, even my 8 year old got bored of it pretty fast.

That's a shame. Nice art and a very cool idea, it deserves a good execution imo. I have the attention span of a 4 year old so if it couldn't keep your 8 year old interested it's probably hopeless

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076200/Roguebook/

Roguebook is ANOTHER procgen roguelike deckbuilder with RPG elements from Richard Garfield, who is apparently the creator of M:TG. It could be pretty dece despite the overused (at this point) genres. There are card-based battles for your two heros (you can choose from 6) and a procgen overworld to move around on, find things and enter battles.

quote:

The ancients speak of a Book written since time immemorial containing all the world's legends. After many fabulous adventures, recounted in Faeria – Chronicles of Gagana, this relic was lost in a well of Faeria. Through contact with this source of magic, the Book developed a wicked free will of its own and became the Roguebook!

You are trapped in the Book of Lore of Faeria, and each page represents a new challenge. Lead your two heroes to victory in this roguelike deckbuilder developed in partnership with Richard Garfield, creator of Magic: The Gathering™. Put together the best synergies between cards, relics and abilities, and take on the Roguebook.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...EhoCu0oQAvD_BwE

Fabled Lands is an early access old-school wrpg based on the gamebooks of the same name. The overworld map has a nice look to it and I'm eager to give this one a try.

quote:

Fabled Lands is a challenging old-school narrative RPG set in an open world. Complete quests, fight, trade goods and develop your character. Explore a vast land of adventure: travel across the war-torn kingdom, survive the plains of howling darkness, and escape the Court of Hidden Faces.

The original Fabled Lands gamebooks, written by Dave Morris and Jamie Thomson, and beloved by many, have been transformed into an epic, digital adventure of interactive fiction with a massive game world. Be anyone you want: explorer, merchant, priest, scholar, thief, wizard, or soldier of fortune. Buy ships, goods, and townhouses, join a temple, risk desperate adventures in the wilderness, or embroil yourself in court intrigues and the sudden violence of city backstreets. Undertake missions that will earn you allies and enemies, or remain a free agent and choose your own objectives. With hundreds of quests and locations to explore, the choices are all yours.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1587710/Fossil_Corner/

Fossil Corner is an uber-casual puzzle game where you solve evolutionary puzzles via looking at fossils and arranging them correctly in terms of evolutionary process.

quote:

In Fossil Corner, you're a retired paleontologist, collecting fossils and solving evolutionary puzzles in your old garage.

-Grow your dream fossil collection! Countless species are possible
-Solve chill, tactile, procedurally generated puzzles
-Retirement hasn't been easy. Use your old computer to email your friends. Maybe that'll help
-Stare out the window. Watch the leaves blow by and hear the sounds of fall
-Features an original soundtrack by Dylan Payne & Bobby Volpendesta!