Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

:siren: Spoilers? As the title says, this is a blind playthrough, so no story-related spoilers. That being said, anything covered in one of my videos no longer counts as a spoiler. Hints for side content or other tips are also fine. Any spoilers for Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, and Yakuza Kiwami 2 are also allowed. :siren:

Yakuza is a Sega series about Kiryu Kazuma, a member of the Tojo Clan and the general dealings of the Yakuza, if a bit more dramatic and over-the-top. The series had its start in 2005 where Toshihiro Nagoshi produced Ryū ga Gotoku (Like a Dragon) for the PlayStation 2 which became known as "Yakuza" when released in the west. Almost exactly a year later in December of 2006, the first sequel of the series, Yakuza 2, got released for the PlayStation 2. It would be three years until the third major game in the series, Yakuza 3, would be released in February of 2009 for the PlayStation 3. An international release would come the following year. Unlike Yakuzas 1 and 2, the third, fourth, and fifth games did not get a Kiwami treatment. Instead, they got Remasters, giving the graphics a slight polish among a few other small changes. The Yakuza 3 Remaster was released in August of 2018 in Japan, and this past August worldwide. Aside from a few cut substories and a quiz show that pertained to life in Japan a decade ago, the game is mostly untouched. The story involves Kiryu moving away from Kamurocho to open up an orphanage and living a peaceful life. Of course, only two years later, the Yakuza lifestyle drags him back when the Sixth Chairmaon of the Tojo Clan, Dojima Daigo, gets shot by a very familiar figure...

I do not plan to do a 100% playthrough, though I will try and complete all the substories.

Kiryu Will Never Escape The Yakuza Life, Will He?:
Part 1 - New Beginnings
Part 2 - The Ryudo Family
Part 3 - Shiro's Problem
Part 4 - Talking With Nao
Part 5 - On A Date With Nao
Part 6 - Golf, Thievery, and Aniki
Part 7 - Saki's Kidnapping
Part 8 - Locker 44 and The Devil Cat
Part 9 - Nao's Loan Shark Problem
Part 10 - Hunting For Sakura
Part 11 - More and More Scams
Part 12 - Hyper Yonashiro
Part 13 - Dogs and Romance
Part 14 - Baseball and Honeymoons
Part 15 - Back to Kamurocho
Part 16 - Men in Black
Part 17 - Finding Nami
Part 18 - Rin Sasaba
Part 19 - Kana Momonogi
Part 20 - Jinsei
Part 21 - Komaki's Training
Part 22 - Baseball Is The Worst
Part 23 - Japanese Doc Brown
Part 24 - Meeting with Kashiwagi
Part 25 - Stuck in Substory Purgatory
Part 26 - Stalking the Stalker
Part 27 - Ranko Yazuki
Part 28 - Miyu Shiraboshi
Part 29 - Meeting Up With Rikiya
Part 30 - Kiryu vs. Kanda
Part 31 - Hometown Girl
Part 32 - Majima The Traitor...?
Part 33 - Balloons and Tuna Investments
Part 34 - Shiori Nagamori
Part 35 - Yui Hatano
Part 36 - Kiryu vs. Majima
Part 37 - Kiryu vs. Lau Ka Long
Part 38 - Mars Fighters
Part 39 - Chasing Mack
Part 40 - Reimi Hanayama
Part 41 - Black Monday
Part 42 - Back to Okinawa
Part 43 - Saya Unten
Part 44 - Mika Tsuchiya
Part 45 - Manga Mania
Part 46 - Taichi Almost Dies
Part 47 - No One Likes Ayako
Part 48 - Crisis
Part 49 - Date and Mama
Part 50 - Hitman Hunting
Part 51 - Leader of The Reapers
Part 52 - Jo Amon
Part 53 - The End of Ambition

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

(Reserving a post, just in case.)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Saw this in the new LP thread, misread it as "Kirby can run but can't hide from the Yakuza", got excited for a crossover but oh.... Oh well this is good too.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Glad you’re doing this game. It’s a fun one. Be prepared- there’s a lot of character development about to go down. :)

Couple clarifications- In the prologue, two different people have been shot- Daigo and Nakahara (I think that's his name). The latter is a new character who is the boss of the two young yakuza who are Kiryu's new pals in Okinawa. The girl with the sketchpad is his daughter. You'll meet them for the first time soon enough. And yes, it appears our foster father Kazama is back and he shot them both.

Sadly, Sayama will not appear again onscreen. I agree it sucks, I liked her too. Oh well.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 15, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

StrixNebulosa posted:

Saw this in the new LP thread, misread it as "Kirby can run but can't hide from the Yakuza", got excited for a crossover but oh.... Oh well this is good too.
Well, if Sakurai was smart, this would be a reality.

achtungnight posted:

Glad you’re doing this game. It’s a fun one. Be prepared- there’s a lot of character development about to go down. :)

Couple clarifications- In the prologue, two different people have been shot- Daigo and Nakahara (I think that's his name). The latter is a new character who is the boss of the two young yakuza who are Kiryu's new pals in Okinawa. The girl with the sketchpad is his daughter. You'll meet them for the first time soon enough. And yes, it appears our foster father Kazama is back and he shot them both.

Sadly, Sayama will not appear again onscreen. I agree it sucks, I liked her too. Oh well.
I'll try and keep track of it all, that's something I tend to have trouble with in these games.

That makes a lot more sense, there seemed to be no kid present with Daigo's shooting. I can't believe Kazama is back like that, already a huge twist and I'm not even an hour in.

Wait, what? Like...ever again, or just in this game?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Ever, sadly. :( Then again, I guess Put On a Bus is better than Killed Off. Apparently the development team didn't think the story needed to keep her around. There are many story decisions in this series that upset me, this is just one example. It's a real testimony to the quality of their product that I still love the series even with all of the upsetting developments. I'll let you play the games to discover them and point out what I recognize along the way.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 2 - The Ryudo Family

I'm always surprised by how fast the chapters in these games can go sometimes. Two videos less than an hour long and two chapters done already. I mean I know they'll get longer as the game goes, but half of these chapters are just cutscenes; I haven't even gotten the opportunity to do a single substory yet. In any case, the chapter itself was pretty nice, I really loved the moments with Kiryu and the kids, it's always great to see his softer side. Of course I prefer to see him busting heads, but still. I have a feeling I'll like the main members of the Ryudo Family, honestly just the way Rikiya interacted with the citizens was plenty of a treat. It also didn't escape my notice that the main conflict in this game centers around a plot of land. Granted, this of course came before Yakuza 0 but I still find the connection amusing.

If there are any hints I should know about early on, please share. For instance, what of the for level up branches should I focus on first? I assume HEAT, but knowing for sure is always nice.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I always tried to level the branches as evenly as I could, prioritizing what looked coolest first, and I had no trouble beating the game. Had everything maxed out by the last chapter too.

Best general tip- Have a walkthrough open and consult it while you play. Some of the sub-stories are hard to find, let alone complete. You haven't missed any so far, don't worry. They start in Chapter 3. However, this was the last game in the series where you were able to fail sub-stories and lock out the secret boss. Unless they changed that in the Remaster, and not having played it, I'm unsure whether or not they did. There's a couple good walkthroughs on GameFAQs.com if you're interested. Your choice whether or not to use them, of course.

The Yellow Bar is your experience. Each bar is one point for advancement. [watches more of video] But I guess you figured that out eventually.

You guessed it- there is a sub-story involving Rikiya's Viper Tattoo later on.

On nice Yakuza- you gotta remember, the reason Mafia and Yakuza type organizations have real staying power is that some of them are in touch with the community enough to be their friends. It's not all about acting tough, controlling crime, and scaring people. These organizations originally were created by peasants who wanted to protect themselves and didn't think they could comfortably rely on the government. Said governments getting beaten badly in wars and suffering from ongoing corruption made things better for the organizations over time too. The ones that expand their influence stick around. I'm sure you've heard the saying "catch more flies with honey than vinegar", right?

Don't assume that old man is not someone of whom you should be afraid. He's an old man in a martial arts video game, after all.

Be ready for a lot of drama involving the kids, both mandatory and sub story. If you don't want to care about those kids, this is not a game you should play.

This game does have great characterization. Best of the series IMO.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

I always tried to level the branches as evenly as I could, prioritizing what looked coolest first, and I had no trouble beating the game. Had everything maxed out by the last chapter too.

Best general tip- Have a walkthrough open and consult it while you play. Some of the sub-stories are hard to find, let alone complete. You haven't missed any so far, don't worry. They start in Chapter 3. However, this was the last game in the series where you were able to fail sub-stories and lock out the secret boss. Unless they changed that in the Remaster, and not having played it, I'm unsure whether or not they did. There's a couple good walkthroughs on GameFAQs.com if you're interested. Your choice whether or not to use them, of course.

On nice Yakuza- you gotta remember, the reason Mafia and Yakuza type organizations have real staying power is that some of them are in touch with the community enough to be their friends. It's not all about acting tough, controlling crime, and scaring people. These organizations originally were created by peasants who wanted to protect themselves and didn't think they could comfortably rely on the government. Said governments getting beaten badly in wars and suffering from ongoing corruption made things better for the organizations over time too. The ones that expand their influence stick around. I'm sure you've heard the saying "catch more flies with honey than vinegar", right?

Don't assume that old man is not someone of whom you should be afraid. He's an old man in a martial arts video game, after all.

Be ready for a lot of drama involving the kids, both mandatory and sub story. If you don't want to care about those kids, this is not a game you should play.
That sounds good, I'll do that then.

poo poo, I do remember that being mentioned (probably by you) in a past thread. Totally forgot about that until now. I looked around and it seems like substories are able to still to be failed, or at least missed outside of the New Game+, so I'll make sure to have a guide ready, thanks for the heads-up.

That's true with the more flies with honey thing, it's still just pretty jarring since literally no Yakuza aside from basically Kiryu and Majima have ever been shown being that nice to citizens like that in any of the past games I've played. Not that I can really recall, at least. In almost all cases they're obnoxious punks at the least and conspiracy-centered, game-driving villains at worst. Seeing a Yakuza Captain get all flustered from an old lady is something I never thought I'd see in this series.

He may be an old man in a martial arts video game, but you forget one thing. I'm (playing as) Kazuma Motherfuckin' Kiryu. Though really, I did expect to fight him right there and then.

I assumed the case. I'm sure I'll warm up to at least a few more of them as the game goes. I tend not to be a fan of kid characters, Haruka being an exception in this series in particular, but I guess I'll see.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 3 - Shiro's Problem

Not really any plot stuff in this video. All that really goes on in the main story is Shiro's issues at school. I'm sure it will somehow tie into the main plot at some point, or it might be like with Date and his daughter where their story had zero impact on the main plot. Either way, it's sweet seeing Kiryu worrying about his kids. Got started on the substories and they're pretty typical for the early-on substories where they're relatively normal and sane. I expect them to get progressively whackier as the game goes along and in fact I'll be disappointed if that's not the case. I was surprised to see the cabaret stuff get introduced so early on and it's so...well...lame. I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right, but it still seems pretty hands-off and not a lot of fun so far. Still, I'll end up doing it anyway but I'll probably skip over a great deal of it if it's all going to be this boring. It stinks that I have to use a guide and spoil some of what happens in these substories before I do them, but I guess I'd rather that than miss one by accident or something.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

TheLoneStar posted:

Part 3 - Shiro's Problem

Not really any plot stuff in this video. All that really goes on in the main story is Shiro's issues at school. I'm sure it will somehow tie into the main plot at some point, or it might be like with Date and his daughter where their story had zero impact on the main plot. Either way, it's sweet seeing Kiryu worrying about his kids. Got started on the substories and they're pretty typical for the early-on substories where they're relatively normal and sane. I expect them to get progressively whackier as the game goes along and in fact I'll be disappointed if that's not the case. I was surprised to see the cabaret stuff get introduced so early on and it's so...well...lame. I'm not entirely sure I'm doing it right, but it still seems pretty hands-off and not a lot of fun so far. Still, I'll end up doing it anyway but I'll probably skip over a great deal of it if it's all going to be this boring. It stinks that I have to use a guide and spoil some of what happens in these substories before I do them, but I guess I'd rather that than miss one by accident or something.

The cabaret may have been something they cut from the original Yakuza 3 in the west- I don’t remember it being in there. In the original Yakuza 2 Kirryu had a whole substory managing a cabaret club called Marietta. They cut it for Kiwami, in favor of that whole cabaret contest with Majima & Yuki, I guess. This cabaret game’s mechanics are similar thus far. Yakuza 3's cabaret minigame probably doesn't get much better, unfortunately. It's when they were still perfecting the minigame, I guess. The cabaret game in Yakuza 4 has similar mechanics also but it’s more fun due to increased dress up options and the fact that you can date the girls you create and manage with other playable characters. I don’t blame you if you cut it. I checked GameFAQs and the CyricZ faq there has a section that should help you finish the cabaret club well enough. Apparently money is the only reward.

The substories do get crazier. :)

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 20, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I'll go ahead and do the cabaret stuff anyway, even if I'm gonna cut most of it. Thanks for the tip on the guide, I'll make sure to check it out. Glad that things will be better in the next game, at least.

Part 4 - Talking With Nao

No plot stuff at all here, sad to say. The billiard game really gets under my skin; I know a part of it is I can't get the angles right, but I swear it's also skewed in the computer's favor. It especially sucks since a 100,000 yen reward is riding on me winning one in a substory. I'm guessing that's going to be a lot of money for me considering how early on in the game I am. Of course I also don't know how well the cabaret stuff pays off later down the line yet, but a quick 100,000 yen still sounds lovely. Still kind of typical Yakuza substories, complete with a conman faking an injury after bumping into Kiryu. Honestly talking with Nao was about the most fun I had in the video, even if her stiff and lifeless gaze will haunt my dreams. I mean I know she's a side NPC in a totally optional part of the game, but they really couldn't give her some emotion? I dunno, I guess playing 0 and the two Kiwami games spoiled me.

Also, do I just pawn off this junk I'm getting like magazines and charcoal, or is there really an actual use for them? I'm assuming the former, but want to be sure.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Billiards- yeah, I disliked that game too. The mini game challenges in these games are always a pain. Can’t help you with this one, sorry.

Cabaret dates- here I can help you. Stop going for expensive stuff. Find her favorite drink & food in the guide you’re using (it should list them, and they’re usually inexpensive) and keep buying those. Between the hearts for that and the right conversation choices you’ll make steady progress on their meters. You’ll eventually have two dates with each girl in which you’ll be able to eat and play mini games together. The third date is the sub story. And I think you’ll have to get ten hearts for the first date, then five more for each subsequent date. 4 & 5 have this same mini game, as does Dead Souls. They revamped it for 6 & Kiwami.

Best source of money- you’ll need money for the cabaret girls. Probably the best way to get it this early is the cabaret manager mini game. Getting a girl to #1 there is 100k, plus 300k if you do all 5 girls (only need to do 1 for the sub story) per the guides.

The stuff you get from random encounters can be sold for small money reward or hoarded for a craft game you’ll unlock later if I recall correctly. And yes, you’ll eventually be able to travel between Kamurocho and Okinawa with sub stories and mini games in both places, much like Kamurocho & Soutenbori in previous games.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

poo poo, thanks for pointing out the favorite foods and drinks, that'll save me some cash later on. And I had a feeling the cabaret girls would make me the most money. Also good to know about traveling between cities.

Part 5 - On A Date With Nao

Okay no seriously, gently caress billiards. This poo poo is so frustrating. I get that part of it is that I have trouble with angled shots, but I swear the computer is way too good, even at Beginner. Too many times he'll pocket like, four balls in a row as I just sit there and silently fume. I'll make sure that my victory against that mustached gently caress comes next episode; I won't move on with the playthrough until it happens. I talked with Nao a bit more, and it was a bit frustrating that the guide I'm using is incomplete, though I guess that's what I get for using one at all. Surprised nothing at all happened on the date. Also, I have been working on that cabaret girl training substory, I was just so focused on billiards and poo poo I forgot to even mention it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, not much happens on the dates. They get better in future games and set up the girl's sub story on them, but this early they were still learning. Interestingly enough, the original Yakuza 3 western release just had the dates. Kiryu ran into the girls at Smile Burger or some other place around town, they asked him out, boom. No building up hearts necessary. Most fans apparently disliked not having to put in effort, so this was the only game where they did that. Also, if you're going for all the food at restaurants, dating is a great way to get there quick. You can order everything on the menu with impunity when dating no matter the size of your life bar. Guess your date has the Bottomless Stomach perk from later games.

Her comment at the beginning about you always wearing the same outfit is the game's way of checking if you have an accessory that adds free Hearts. Yes, that is a thing. Manly Cologne, the Dragon Shirt, and other accessories I can't remember help you here. Her opening dialogue only changes if you're wearing one of those special things.

Good luck with Billiards. Persistence pays off.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Of all the things they could change, they change the dating mechanic and not the billiards game? Tsk. And thanks for the hint about the food, I'll try and remember that next time I date.

Oh yeah, that happened in one of the other games where the cabaret girls would comment on Kiryu's appearance like that. Totally forgot about that.

Part 6 - Golf, Thievery, and Aniki

Well, in a massive stroke of luck, I managed to beat the billiards substory with just one more try. That 100,000 yen felt so good to get. I'm going to guess there's a substory later one where I have to beat someone in golf. That's going to be another annoying one if it exists. The infinite retries were the only reason I did as well as I did here in this video. I almost started to think this entire chapter would just be Kiryu having small misadventures surrounding his kids, so I'm glad there's some more story stuff. Seriously though, it just got so dark so fast it was jarring. One minute Kiryu is teaching two of his daughters an important lesson, the next it's mentioned how a girl went mute because he dad hanged himself while she was home. Poor Saki...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats on finishing the Billiards substory. I can't remember if there's a Golf one, but it wouldn't surprise me. You did pretty good for someone who hates the game, but it was not necessary to win and you had infinite do-overs, as you pointed out. Golf is a pretty convoluted game, with all kinds of weird rules. I used to caddy, so I know some of them. The object of the game is to get the ball into the hole in the least number of strokes. The ideal score for each hole is called Par, and I don't know what criteria they base it on. 1 under Par is a Birdie, 1 over is a Bogie. Birdie is better, obviously. A Mulligan is a do-over basically. You say your shot didn't count and do it over. Not every course or opponent allows Mulligans.

The other terms you seem unfamiliar with are areas of the course. Fairway is the ideal path to the hole, an area of light green grass from the Tee (starting point) to the Green (area in the hole's immediate vicinity where you can only use the Putter to knock in your ball). Rough is the edges of the Fairway, where the grass is taller and rougher. Outside the Rough is Out of Bounds. Your ball goes out of bounds, it's often lost. You move it to the nearest Rough area or put down a new ball in that area and play from there generally. Then there are Sand Traps and Water Hazards, but those didn't come up on this course. If you get another reason to play Golf, I'll cover them then if you have trouble. Thankfully, Golf isn't a big part of Yakuza 3 and I don't think it returns in future games either.

You do indeed have the whole game to complete the cabaret sub stories. That said, I'd get them done as soon as you feel best so you can focus on the main story's action. It increases as the game continues. You should have enough money to finish off a Flawless girl or two right now, and as for the South Island cabaret management, just put Jojo in the ideal outfit soon as you can and keep trying. So much of that is random, you just have to hope you luck out. Following the FAQ like I suggested will probably help. Of course, you'll need to finish the current quest you're on to get access to the cabarets again.

Saki has indeed had a hard life. Thankfully she has good people watching out for her now. Kiryu is one of them, as you'll soon see.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 29, 2019

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Congrats on finishing the Billiards substory. I can't remember if there's a Golf one, but it wouldn't surprise me. You did pretty good for someone who hates the game, but it was not necessary to win and you had infinite do-overs, as you pointed out. Golf is a pretty convoluted game, with all kinds of weird rules. I used to caddy, so I know some of them. The object of the game is to get the ball into the hole in the least number of strokes. The ideal score for each hole is called Par, and I don't know what criteria they base it on. 1 under Par is a Birdie, 1 over is a Bogie. Birdie is better, obviously. A Mulligan is a do-over basically. You say your shot didn't count and do it over. Not every course or opponent allows Mulligans.

The other terms you seem unfamiliar with are areas of the course. Fairway is the ideal path to the hole, an area of light green grass from the Tee (starting point) to the Green (area in the hole's immediate vicinity where you can only use the Putter to knock in your ball). Rough is the edges of the Fairway, where the grass is taller and rougher. Outside the Rough is Out of Bounds. Your ball goes out of bounds, it's often lost. You move it to the nearest Rough area or put down a new ball in that area and play from there generally. Then there are Sand Traps and Water Hazards, but those didn't come up on this course. If you get another reason to play Golf, I'll cover them then if you have trouble. Thankfully, Golf isn't a big part of Yakuza 3 and I don't think it returns in future games either.

You do indeed have the whole game to complete the cabaret sub stories. That said, I'd get them done as soon as you feel best so you can focus on the main story's action. It increases as the game continues. You should have enough money to finish off a Flawless girl or two right now, and as for the South Island cabaret management, just put Jojo in the ideal outfit soon as you can and keep trying. So much of that is random, you just have to hope you luck out. Following the FAQ like I suggested will probably help. Of course, you'll need to finish the current quest you're on to get access to the cabarets again.
I looked around at the Chapter 4 substories and there is indeed a golf one. That's just be another massive pain in the rear end, I just know it. I knew most of that golf stuff, but I've never heard of a mulligan before or fairways.

I'll probably finish at least the dating section of one girl before moving on with the main story, starting with the episode after this one. I'm just glad building up the hearts is so quick with a handy guide, even if using one kind of defeats the purpose of a blind playthrough. And for JoJo, I followed that guide as best as I could, at least I can progress with her off-screen between videos.

Part 7 - Saki's Kidnapping

Finally, the real meat and potatoes of the chapter. I was waiting for a classic storming of a Yakuza location and decimating everyone with in. A part of me almost hoped that Saki's mother was at least trying to turn over a new leaf, but I knew deep down there's no way that'd happen. Turns out I was completely correct. Seems I'm still a bit rusty with how much issue I had with an opponent that wasn't just a generic mook. It'll certainly help as I get more abilities, I'm sure. Still not feeling most of the HEAT attacks honestly. I guess that's what happens when I play the more polished games first. Really glad the flashback bits are done and we're back in the present day. Even though I have zero interest in the whole resort/base thing so far, it'll be nice to get the ball rolling and go back to good old familiar Kamurocho. After substory stuff, that is. I looked and there's like, twenty substories available at the moment, so I'll be busy for maybe two or three episodes. Just when the story started to progress again...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
This is Kamiyama's first appearance in the Yakuza series, although he did cameo in Yakuza 0 as one of the guys you can send out to gather weapon craft materials in the Dragon & Tiger minigame. He'll appear in 4, 5, and Dead Souls also, doing much the same job.

I can understand you disliking the fighting gameplay in this one. 4 improves in a lot of ways, that included. Take heart.

This one does have a couple battles I will always remember fondly when I think of the Yakuza series though. And you haven't played either of them yet. :)

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

This is Kamiyama's first appearance in the Yakuza series, although he did cameo in Yakuza 0 as one of the guys you can send out to gather weapon craft materials in the Dragon & Tiger minigame. He'll appear in 4, 5, and Dead Souls also, doing much the same job.

I can understand you disliking the fighting gameplay in this one. 4 improves in a lot of ways, that included. Take heart.
Was he just a guy you could send out to find stuff? I swore he was also someone I could buy weapons from in a game I've played previously.

It really feels like there's less options here, even not taking into a count a lack of Styles. That's my main gripe, really.

Part 8 - Locker 44 and The Devil Cat

Not much to mention here, just some substory stuff. I'm liking these somewhat paranormal themed substories, even if they've turned out to be mundane in the end. I fully expect one substory either in this chapter or later to have a real ghost, though. The cabaret training with JoJo has been going a lot smoother once her stats started going up. It took a while to get the ball rolling, but once it picked up the pace, it really went at breakneck speeds it seemed. Unfortunately, it seems I have a lot of bullshit ahead. Fishing (which I can't seem to get working), a golfing substory, and one where the full completion depends entirely on luck all await me in this chapter alone. This whole failable/missable substory thing is really a pain in my loving rear end. I'm so glad this is the only game I'll have to deal with this poo poo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 9 - Nao's Loan Shark Problem

Finally got Nao's substory done (after getting lost in an embarrassing manner) and it was not really worth it at all. Given all the time it took to get that far, I was hoping for at least a bit more experience or something. In any case, I almost feel bad because she loves Kiryu but he's about to go around picking up other girls. Poor Nao. I'm glad I lucked out with that fishing substory in that I didn't have to actually fish to get the star next to it. I already have two substories this chapter that are going to be major pains in the rear end, I don't need a third. Not much else to say except I'm going to just keep trucking along with more substories next time, focusing more on those not-quite paranormal ones.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Well, if you feel really bad about the girl, you can always go back and spend time with her in the club in an endless repetitive money sink with no further intimacy results! But I guess Kiryu’s the type who leaves them once he’s scored.

The supernatural sub stories are probably the most fun ones in Okinawa. There are a couple in Kamurocho that are also fun.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Well, if you feel really bad about the girl, you can always go back and spend time with her in the club in an endless repetitive money sink with no further intimacy results! But I guess Kiryu’s the type who leaves them once he’s scored.

The supernatural sub stories are probably the most fun ones in Okinawa. There are a couple in Kamurocho that are also fun.
I could, yes. I could. But I won't.

I just can't wait until the inevitable real actual ghost that shows up. Seems to be a series tradition.

Part 10 - Hunting For Sakura

More substories. Always more substories. The supernatural ones are seeming to lose steam. I was hoping they'd all be centering around some creepy supernatural entity. The cure-all fruit drink and and coral necklace were kind of "meh" compared to the first three. That Phantom Tour Guide one especially was hosed up. Looking at the list of substories unlocked this chapter, it's still probably going to take another three or four episodes to get through them all, which I really don't like. If they only fixed the stupid notion of missable or failable substories for the remake, I'd have moved on with the main story by now. Oh well, at least this is the only game where I'll have to deal with this poo poo, right?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 11 - More and More Scams

Well, the Mysteries of Ryukyu are over...for now. Apparently the last part isn't available until the tenth chapter, for some reason. Honestly, they started out nice, but got kind of boring near the end. Heck, the game even did two miracle food products in this little series. I was hoping for more supernatural, malevolent stuff to fit the mood of the first few substories. Who knows? Maybe the last mystery will introduce the real ghost that I'm so sure is in this game somewhere. Not too much else to say, though I did find that ice cream substory pretty amusing. It just goes to show that Kiryu simply cannot turn down a request...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 12 - Hyper Yonashiro

Things were a bit more amusing this time around. That Lovelorn Teenager especially was a great mix of sad and pathetic, somewhat creepy, and really amusing. I guess I hadn't realized how old Haruka had even gotten. Apparently she's about thirteen or fourteen years old. I just have trouble imagining her as being older than a small child for some reason. I'm glad to at least get to the daytime now, makes it feel like more progress is being made and there's a change in atmosphere. Still, there's about ten or so substories left to go, and one of them is that golfing one which will undoubtedly be a pain in the rear end to get through. That pointing one is a bit annoying already and it ticks me off they make it just a random minigame. At least the billiard one had skill involved.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Haruka keeps getting older. Children do that. :)

Glad you're making progress with the substories. Don't get too frustrated. Good luck.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Haruka keeps getting older. Children do that. :)
It's still just odd in a way. I guess I didn't notice how much she was aging.

Part 13 - Dogs and Romance

In a twist, I only did one substory this time around. Good news is I spent the rest of the video actually moving on with the main story. That being said, not much of importance actually happened. I will say I am a bit glad that there's these little bits focusing on the kids. I'm actually starting to give a crap about some of the ones not named Haruka. Those walking animations, though...Seriously, who looked at those and thought they looked okay? That aside, not too much to comment on except hopefully within another two videos or so, I can move on to the next chapter. Problem is the process will start all over again. I'm trapped in Substory Hell, but at least the substories are good for the most part. I don't think anything will beat my spree of Majima side-content in Yakuza 0 thanks to that loving glitch that made the game crash during the daytime in Sotenbori. When only playing as Majima.

That poo poo was so dumb.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, this is the part where you get to know the kids. It goes on for a while and kinda feels shoved in to some people. Just keep going with it, you'll get through it all eventually. Or enjoy it, as you seem to be doing. :D

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Yeah, this is the part where you get to know the kids. It goes on for a while and kinda feels shoved in to some people. Just keep going with it, you'll get through it all eventually. Or enjoy it, as you seem to be doing. :D
Looks like things didn't stick with me because there was a girl kid I completely forgot about until this video. And yeah, that last video sure was a laugh and a half for me.

Part 14 - Baseball and Honeymoons

So close, so close. At this point, only one more substory for this chapter to go before I can finally go on to the fifth chapter. I kind of wussed out on the golf substory, but I'm just so ready to continue on that I just don't care. I'll take a tie since it still got me that star. That aside, the dog substories were kind of lame and repetitive but at least they were short and got three substories under my belt alone. Did not expect to see that idiot and his gold digging(?) girlfriend(sister???) back in the series. Honestly I didn't even know who they were supposed to be until a minute or two after they started talking to Kiryu. Certainly an odd callback, I gotta say. Did not expect that twist at the end there, and I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to believe that it's true or not, it's just such an odd situation...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 15 - Back to Kamurocho

Chapter 5, I never thought I'd see you. Really though, it does feel nice to not only be making more story progress, but to finally return to Kamurocho. I do love how when Kiryu comments how it hasn't changed at all, he instantly sees Yakuza roughing up an establishment and he gets dragged into another internal conflict within the Tojo Clan. Yep. Classic Kamurocho alright. I also got to meet three interesting new characters here. Well, two. The punching bag guy hasn't done anything too interesting so far. The fat guy was a delight, especially him slapping the poo poo out of his henchmen like that. The guy that blew up that poor Chinese chef will probably cause Kiryu some big problems, I can just feel it. I'm wondering what the hell Majima was doing all this time because he was kind of supposed to keep things in line while Kiryu was gone. So much for that.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Revelations are indeed weird. :) The man in the poster Granny was admiring was Il-Yu Jin, a Korean celebrity you escorted around Kamurocho in a previous game (Kiwami 2). And yeah, this is another way to unlock moves. They do get funnier.

Congrats on getting back to Kamurocho. And on meeting the rest of the game’s antagonists. They will all cause Kiryu trouble, believe you me. They’ll get their formal introductions soon enough. Mine (Punching Bag Guy) has a Ki-Rin tattoo, it’s an Asian holy goat, analogous to the unicorn in some ways. Can’t say more about him or the other 2 jerks just yet. But yeah, they’re a bit nuts. :)

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Man, the Nishikiyama family truly has fallen. At first, it become one of the top dog in Tojo Clan in Nishiki's leadership. In Yakuza 2, the family still refain their power under Shindo until he betrayed Tojo Clan. In Yakuza 3, it's being led by a perverted pig. Poor Nishiki legacy is tarnished now.

Tip: The best combo in Yakuza 3 is simply square-square-square-triangle-triangle. The 2nd finisher has a minor guard breaking capability, enemies will still take damage from it even when they're blocking (unless they're blocking with weapon). The 2nd finisher can also ground bounce enemies which allows you to juggle them a little with 2-3 strong attack (triangle). In harder difficulty the enemies really loves to block making that combo the only viable combo.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Revelations are indeed weird. :) The man in the poster Granny was admiring was Il-Yu Jin, a Korean celebrity you escorted around Kamurocho in a previous game (Kiwami 2). And yeah, this is another way to unlock moves. They do get funnier.

Congrats on getting back to Kamurocho. And on meeting the rest of the game’s antagonists. They will all cause Kiryu trouble, believe you me. They’ll get their formal introductions soon enough. Mine (Punching Bag Guy) has a Ki-Rin tattoo, it’s an Asian holy goat, analogous to the unicorn in some ways. Can’t say more about him or the other 2 jerks just yet. But yeah, they’re a bit nuts. :)
I thought I kind of recognized that guy. The name at least was familiar.

It feels good to be back in the classic location. Okinawa is nice, but Kamurocho feels more natural. And I mistook the Ki-Rin for something completely different. I didn't get a good look and thought it was a Komainu.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Man, the Nishikiyama family truly has fallen. At first, it become one of the top dog in Tojo Clan in Nishiki's leadership. In Yakuza 2, the family still refain their power under Shindo until he betrayed Tojo Clan. In Yakuza 3, it's being led by a perverted pig. Poor Nishiki legacy is tarnished now.

Tip: The best combo in Yakuza 3 is simply square-square-square-triangle-triangle. The 2nd finisher has a minor guard breaking capability, enemies will still take damage from it even when they're blocking (unless they're blocking with weapon). The 2nd finisher can also ground bounce enemies which allows you to juggle them a little with 2-3 strong attack (triangle). In harder difficulty the enemies really loves to block making that combo the only viable combo.
Funny how the guy who slicked his hair back in blood is the classiest leader of that family.

I should've read this earlier, that Man in Black I fought in this video probably would've been a lot simpler if I had. Either way, thanks for the tip.

Part 16 - Men in Black

Kiryu is attacked by a squad of American Men in Black, and not the whacky kind that deal with aliens either. Fighting their was such a pain since every other of his movies stunned Kiryu. Sadly, the story will now come to a screeching halt once again as I do more substories. Even worse, a lot of the substories in this chapter involve minigames that can be lost, so I have to work around that quite a bit. Not too much to say about the substories this time around, though I did love that flashback sequence and hot it kept the old graphics. You know, instead of them recreating two or three still images with current models. It's also kind of weird there are numerous substories that can be started, but not completed for several chapters like that. Kind of an odd way of doing things...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congrats, this video introduced you to the two most annoying things in this game. Mysterious Foreigner A (I used to call him Brian Thompson after a 1980s and 90s action movie recurring bad guy he resembled) and Chase Battles. It's probably not spoilers to say you'll be dealing with both on a continual basis in chapters to come (and at least three future games, in the case of the Chase Battles).

Brian Thompson is a pain to fight. High defense and frequently stuns you, recipe for a tough recurring boss. :(

This comic may cheer you up, it did me. Kiryu Insurance- protect your new bike!

A Gelateria sells Gelato, as in Italian Ice Cream. It's a bit more sugary and has a unique taste. Apparently it's popular in Japan.

I too am annoyed by minigames in this series.

Definitely look up Japanese Doc Brown at some point. His substories unlock an interesting new minigame that teaches new moves.

Hirata of Peace Finance was the opening fight tutorial boss in Yakuza 1. Yeah, I had trouble remembering him too.

Good luck with the adventures ahead. I'll be watching.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Oh hey, it's Albert Wesker who is trying to complete his global saturation after his previous attempt in Africa went bust (Is it after or before? I'm too lazy to check it. But I do know both games are released on the same year). Being an American, he speaks exclusively in english. His english is pretty good enough barring his weird pronunciation of certain words since he has an english Voice Actor.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Congrats, this video introduced you to the two most annoying things in this game. Mysterious Foreigner A (I used to call him Brian Thompson after a 1980s and 90s action movie recurring bad guy he resembled) and Chase Battles. It's probably not spoilers to say you'll be dealing with both on a continual basis in chapters to come (and at least three future games, in the case of the Chase Battles).

Brian Thompson is a pain to fight. High defense and frequently stuns you, recipe for a tough recurring boss. :(

This comic may cheer you up, it did me. Kiryu Insurance- protect your new bike!

Definitely look up Japanese Doc Brown at some point. His substories unlock an interesting new minigame that teaches new moves.

Hirata of Peace Finance was the opening fight tutorial boss in Yakuza 1. Yeah, I had trouble remembering him too.
Honestly the Chase Battle wasn't that bad. I only thought it was odd that Mack was barely effected by Kiryu ramming right into him like that.

gently caress Brian though.

Alright, I'll make sure to. I can only imagine what horrible things those machines of his will do to Kiryu...

I do appreciate that the flashback was just taken from the first game rather than remodeled.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

Oh hey, it's Albert Wesker who is trying to complete his global saturation after his previous attempt in Africa went bust (Is it after or before? I'm too lazy to check it. But I do know both games are released on the same year). Being an American, he speaks exclusively in english. His english is pretty good enough barring his weird pronunciation of certain words since he has an english Voice Actor.
I actually thought he kind of looked like Wesker, but wasn't sure if I had my facts straight (never actually played a Resident Evil game) so I didn't comment on it.

Part 17 - Finding Nami

So the slog of episodes made purely of substories begins now. Seems to be a bit of retreading going on with taking down homeless hunters, but beating the poo poo out of scum like them never stops being satisfying. I really enjoyed the puppy dog book substory. Yakuza can have a soft side too, drat it. The best substory of the episode had to be the Nami one though, if only because of her father. A little old man that slugs a foul-mouthed young punk is cool in my book. Perhaps slapping his own daughter was overkill but hey, no one's perfect. I did like how both of those attacks were behind a black screen. I guess they really couldn't be bothered to animate either sequence.

And I just can't stop running into punks and villains with the same names of mangaka or game developers that I really like, can I?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 18 - Rin Sasaba

The whole video here is all about dealing with Rin and her substory. I'm pretty glad I managed to get it all done within one video, gotta say. I'll also say I'm generally not too fond of the cabaret girl substories in the series. Some of the ones from earlier games that were more whacky and out there were okay. In the end it's basically all just getting to know a mostly down-to-earth character and then people some prick that's being nasty to her. For a game like Yakuza, and with how long it takes to get each substory done, it just isn't worth it at all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Most fans I've read feel as you do about the Yakuza hostess missions. The series keeps putting them out, though. :( Most LPers devote 1 video to each girl with a lot of cut content unless interesting stuff happens and leave it at that.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

achtungnight posted:

Most fans I've read feel as you do about the Yakuza hostess missions. The series keeps putting them out, though. :( Most LPers devote 1 video to each girl with a lot of cut content unless interesting stuff happens and leave it at that.
It'd be nice if they were at least a bit shorter...Oh well, I said I was going to do all the substories, so I'm stuck with all of this.

Part 19 - Kana Momonogi

I'll be honest, I found this go-around better than the last two. The setbacks were a bit frustrating, but I liked Kana more as a character. I know it probably sounds weird, but I just kind of have a soft spot for characters with self-loathing issues. That and her being a dog lover was good too. It was also kind of a surprise that the substory didn't end with some kind of fight like most cabaret girl ones do. The half-assed dog model was pretty amusing to look at too. Aside from that, though, not much to say. Thankfully I'll be going back to doing normal substories in the next video, and I'm making some decent progress, at least. I'm about a third of the way done with the substories which feels good to type out.

And apparently Kana is modeled after a porn actress. I tried looking into if Nao and Rin are as well, but couldn't really find anything. Yakuza's knack for modeling characters after actresses or even wrestling stars endlessly amuses me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 20 - Jinsei

Back to the normal substories, thank God. Didn't get as much done as I wanted, but I think three completed substories in one video is fine enough. Even though he didn't actually appear, I'm glad Komaki's back and hopefully he'll give me some nice, powerful moves to use. The lottery substory wasn't much of a substory at all, but I guess making some quick cash is always nice. I liked the dine-and-dash one if only for the surprisingly fast fat guy and the reason he gave for dashing in the first place. Really made me think. And then the Jinsei one was surprisingly heartfelt for such a short substory, and also I just love some of the animations for some of the characters like the very careful way they turn around. Doesn't matter if Kiryu just beat them over the head with a crowbar, they'll turn around nice and easy as they bleed from the head.