Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I agree with you about the latest cabaret girl. Huh. Oh well.

They do return in all later Yakuza games of course. But one character in Yakuza 4 is actually not interested in them. Instead he gets what is my favorite minigame of all the series. No spoilers. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well I sure bite myself in the loving rear end. This LP will be on hiatus, as I barely touched the power cord on my PS4, causing it to barely unplug. All data in all my games gone, and I never had PS Plus, so no cloud to fetch it all from. So forty videos worth of effort down the drain. I'm gonna have to just find the will to slog my way back to where I left off, and I have no idea how long it will take.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Argh! Sorry to hear that, friend. Good luck getting back to things soon. If I can help, let me know. I was enjoying watching your journey through this and the other Yakuza games. However long that journey takes to resume, I will be waiting.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 41 - Black Monday

Finally, the hiatus ends. And in a way I'm glad this entire video was exposition dump. It was a nice, relaxing way to get back into the game. I think I have it all squared away, with Joji's motivations and what it is that Black Monday wants. Was not expecting Tamiya to end up being a good guy though, which was a pleasant surprise. Looking back, I wonder why the game tried to make Joji being Shintaro's brother seem like a huge twist. Obviously the Kazama we all knew and loved faking his death and going all rogue would've been a really stupid, nonsensical twist, so what other option was there really? In any case, after this large exposition dump, I'll be getting into the substories of the chapter in the next video whenever I'm immediately able. And I certainly haven't forgotten those couple of substories that started back in earlier chapters.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Welcome back!

Congrats on getting back where you were in the game, too.

Joji, Mine, and Black Monday are the game's main threats. After meeting the Defense Minister, you have pretty much all the exposition you'll get about them for a while. Yamazaki (the guy who ate the chicken head) is still around, but he's not as big a part of the story since he's now on the run after you took out his Triad allies. Mine in particular is played up as Kiryu's "dark mirror" for this game- much like Nishiki in Yakuza 1 and Ryuji in Yakuza 2.

I would partner with Majima over the Ryudo family any day, but whatever, Kiryu...

You'll be buried in substories for a while after this. Good luck.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 42 - Back to Okinawa

A return to his old playthrough. Sadly, it happens with more of a whimper than a roar. In that not much happens to progress the story this time, save for Kiryu returning to Okinawa. Even though I didn't get to really do much in this episode, I almost kind of missed the place and was happy to be back. Kamurocho is obviously more iconic, but Okinawa is a pretty good substitute in my eyes. Another funny thing with the hiatus is I forgot a lot of what went down in past substories. So that one girl who wanted to open an inn or something...I totally have no idea who she is. Still, at least I refreshed myself on the story, so I should be set there with how infrequent the updates will be.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 43 - Saya Unten

Another video, another cabaret girl done. Annoyingly, I guess I didn't save or something after the last video, so those few substories I got done got reverted. At least they were short and simple, and I made double sure to save after this one. As for Saya herself...not much to say. Her laugh was a bit annoying, and the daddy thing kind of got under my skin. Pretty typical semi-sad story of one of these girls where it all ends up okay. Thankfully, I only got one left...really running out of things to say for these substories, honestly.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 44 - Mika Tsuchiya

At long last, all the cabaret girls are complete. At least until Yakuza 4 which I'm sure will have more of these. Mika was a nice girl to end up on. A number of these ladies I find kind of annoying or having lovely personalities, but Mika wasn't bad. I also totally forgot that Sayama was Kiryu's girlfriend that left at the start of the game. No idea why she messaged me about the hostess stuff though. Did she end a message to me previously about it? If so, I don't remember. That may be part of why I didn't understand who Sayama was, she'd be one of the last people I'd expect to message Kiryu about this sort of thing.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 45 - Manga Mania

Just wrapping up a few more substories. Less than ten to go and they're all done which is nice. It sucks that a bunch of these are from way long ago because I pretty much forgot the ongoing plots of all these multi-chapter substories. Oh well, no biggie. Not much else to say here except it turns out the murder mystery one is one I can't do until the twelfth chapter, which I totally forgot. A bit of a pain I have to wait to get it done since it seems like it'll be a lot of work and I kind of wanted to get it finished as soon as possible. Oh well, can't exactly help it...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 46 - Taichi Almost Dies

Well, I finally get to return to the main story. Unfortunately, not much really goes on except for some Morning Glory shenanigans with the orphans. Filler, really. Still, the fact that I'm so close to the final chapter and only have about half a dozen substories left really feels good. After the many hiatuses, it's great to almost be done with this playthrough so I can move on. Also, I got to make fun of a fat kid for about ten minutes, so all is well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 47 - No One Likes Ayako

More drama at the orphanage, I see. Almost had a kid die, now one deals with depression basically. Makes me wonder how much time would be shaved off the main story if stuff like this wasn't mandatory. Oh well, it's over for the time being. I still love how Ayako is so fast and has so much stamina that not even Kiryu can keep up and became an exhausted mess by the end.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 48 - Crisis

Well sht. Game really wasn't kidding about the title of Chapter 11. That really was a crisis. Morning Glory is destroyed, Mikio is hospitalized, and Rikiya is now no longer with us. Really wasn't expecting either him or Mikio to actually die at any point, so it threw me off guard. Hit me harder than I expected to, I actually liked him despite the shade I'd throw his way. At least his killer got his brains blown out moments later, so that helps. It was also cool to see Nakahara in action like that, though. I almost expected him to just punch the bull right on the head or something. A shame I gotta stop and do two or three, maybe more, videos of optional stuff before I can take on Mine, but it can't be helped.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 49 - Date and Mama

Not too much to say, just wrapping up a few more substories. Only got two to go, but I gotta jump through a bunch of hoops to get it all done, which sucks. Hopefully there will only be another four or five videos before the playthrough is over. I've had fun with it so far but, through mostly my own fault, it's just taken so long to get it all done and I wanna close the book on it. My PS4 having a stroke and erasing all my data hardly helped matters, though. The almost-suicide was more entertaining than I thought, and I always like when Date gets the spotlight. He's one of my favorite characters aside from Kiryu and Majima.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 50 - Hitman Hunting

Again, not much to say here. The Hitman stuff doesn't offer a lot in story, really. Some of the individual missions are kind of funny, like the amnesiac one, but that's it really. Like I said in the video, it just keeps recycling the same story bits. "Oh, you wanna know the boss? Well not even I know!" That or they refuse to give up the information, then a fight happens. That's most of them, at least. A good way to make money, even if I don't really need it, and thankfully I can wrap it up in the next video.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 51 - Leader of The Reapers

Got all the Hitman stuff, Revelations, and Japanese Doc Brown stuff wrapped up in one video, which feels nice. Not much to say except I'm pretty stoked for the ending. At most there should only be three videos left, giving myself leeway of both of the remaining substories taking a video each. And then the rest of the main story can hopefully be wrapped up in a single video. Kind of a shame I didn't remember the leader of the Reapers which kind of ruined the joke, but oh well.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 52 - Jo Amon

Finally, all the substories are done. Was it worth all the effort? Not particularly, but I said I'd do it so there we go. The murder mystery was fine, though it felt odd that the culprit was pretty much the only person we barely got to talk to at all. Jo Amon wasn't as bad as the optional bosses back in Yakuza 0, but that first phase was still a pain. I still find it amusing that the latter two phases were a lot easier for me. Sword and knives are apparently a lot more dangerous than guns in the Yakuza world. Next video should be the finale, I'll try and just wrap up the rest of the story even if the video itself ends up being really long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Part 53 - The End of Ambition

At last, the playthrough is over. After nearly two years, Kiryu beats the poo poo out of Mine and everything gets wrapped up in a neat bow...for the most part. I have to admit, I didn't even consider that the nameless CIA Operative was actually Richardson until the night I recorded this video. It really seems obvious when I think it over, but it just kind of hit me out of nowhere and I felt so clever for figuring it out. Gotta say, I found it hard to take Mine's death seriously with Richardson screaming in English the entire time. It was just so silly to me.

But yeah, had a lot of fun with this game even with the setbacks and some really obnoxious substories. I liked the new location with Okinawa, getting a nice new area outside of Kamurocho to explore. As much as I would give the orphans poo poo and how the game forced subplots with them into the main story, I actually enjoyed it and was glad to see the side of Kiryu. Apparently, orphans in general weren't seen in such a positive life in parts of Japan when the original game came out, so it was why this sort of positive spin on things was pushed for the game. This wasn't something I heard of until after recording this video, but it certainly puts things into perspective. Looking forward to playing Yakuza 4 down the line, but it's not going to be for a while, not until I get my next two projects completely done. Excited to see what further troubles the Tojo Clan gets wrapped up in and has to drag Kiryu into their poo poo. Poor guy just can't catch a break...