Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Freaquency posted:

On Redzone they were double-boxed between that and another late window game and they were just going back and forth with penalties in both games. It was honestly pretty depressing.

e: why is offensive holding a 10 yard penalty? It seems like it kills a fair number of drives. 5 to match defensive holding seems fair, but get rid of the auto first down on defensive as well.

Getting rid of the first means theres no reason not to hold on 3rd downs longer than 5 yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Guze posted:

Getting rid of the first means theres no reason not to hold on 3rd downs longer than 5 yards.

Other than giving a free down with less yardage, like it only works for so long. I'd be cool with upping defensive holding to 10 yards without the free first down to make it about the same.

We're just imagining things either way here because there's no way that's on the competition committee's radar.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
They’re going to review the complaints and determine nothing is wrong. They will put it back on the table for offseason competition committee review, and change it for the worse as usual.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

We will have illegal hands to the face flags reviewable and then long diatribes by commentators on what the NFL defines as a "face" followed by a lengthy explanation by the ref that directly contradicts what the commentators said and then the play will not be overturned

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The season is going too fast :ohdear:

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Barudak posted:

Saints vs. Bears is gonna be the kind of game you dont watch unless gross offensive incompetence makes you aroused

Gonna be a whole lot of Establishing The Run

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Spoeank posted:

The season is going too fast :ohdear:

Nah.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Re: TNF, the Broncos have not defeated the Chiefs since the year they won the Super Bowl.

I foresee this trend continuing.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1184102815695802376

Also quick reads is up: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2019/week-6-quick-reads

The best QB performance of the week, of course it's Kirk Cousins.

The worst? Man is the bottom 5 just dire this week:

quote:

26. Goff only picked up one first down in this game, and it came with the Rams down by 13 points with less than four minutes left in the fourth quarter. In San Francisco territory, he went 4-of-7 for 12 yards and no first downs. On third and fourth downs, he went 2-of-8 for 3 yards with two sacks and no first downs. On throws to his left, he went 6-of-10 for 26 yards and no first downs. On throws that traveled at least 10 yards downfield, he went oh-for-five ... and no first downs. He would rank even lower, but he gets a big boost in opponent adjustments (63 DYAR) for playing San Francisco, and he did at least manage to avoid interceptions.

27. Daniel Jones.
28. Marcus Mariota
29. Jameis Winston. We wrote over a thousand words about what a terrible day Jameis Winston had and he wasn't even the worst quarterback of the week. This is partly because he gained 70 DYAR due to opponent adjustments (the Panthers aren't as good as the Patriots or 49ers, but opponent adjustments add up, and Winston had 61 dropbacks), and partly because the Dolphins are just ruining the whole season for everybody.
30. Josh Rosen.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love that the Cowboys and Texans are neck and neck, because BoB is just Jason Garrett's shadow

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It looks like Dak's DYAR was aided in part by largely fraudulent DPI calls in the 4th quarter. Cool.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

This last week really felt like saying goodbye to the 2015 QB Draft Class. I mean outside of who will end up starting for the Bears next season or whoever needs a "bridge" QB but hoo lordy those stats and year over year just awful play from those 2 feels like the end.

adaz fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 15, 2019

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mariota could still go be a backup for a few years and hopefully settle into a system and become the QB he always could be for a late career renaissance type situation

Winston just seems like he'll always be a chuck & duck guy, and that's just not gonna work.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Reminder that this is what Chip Kelly wanted to give up for Mariota:

quote:

Per Schrager, the Eagles offered the Titans their 2015 first- and second-round picks, their 2016 first-round pick, any quarterback on their roster and any defensive player on their roster in exchange for the No. 2 overall pick. (H/t to Philly Sports Network for finding the interview.) And the way Schrager stated it was not "any one defensive player," it was "anyone" on defense, which could have even meant multiple pieces.

The Titans could have had Fletcher Cox, two firsts, a second and Sam Bradford :stonklol:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

The worst? Man is the bottom 5 just dire this week:

quote:

and partly because the Dolphins are just ruining the whole season for everybody.

Alternate thread title.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Kalli posted:

Mariota could still go be a backup for a few years and hopefully settle into a system and become the QB he always could be for a late career renaissance type situation

Winston just seems like he'll always be a chuck & duck guy, and that's just not gonna work.

I think Mariota is probably done. If there is a time to turn his career now it is right now.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Kalli posted:

With the success of the eagles + saints have had with employing competent backup quarterbacks that's a pretty good point about Mariota. I do think his ceiling is probably "league average" QB even with a decent coordinator and talent but his floor is probably what was shown there in quick reads. That would make him one of the top, what, 5 backup QBs available?

Winston feels like a worse version of ryan fitzpatrick which uh, is something

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

^^ Yeah, exactly. Trevor Siemian is the Vikings backup QB, Matt Barkley is the Bills, Brett Hundley on the Cardinals.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I think Mariota is probably done. If there is a time to turn his career now it is right now.

Guys who don't turn the ball over much and can caretake an offense will always have a job in the league though. Blake Bortles has a job, Mariota could easily bounce around the league for like 15 more years.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Enjoy your broke rear end jaw binch

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Its Rinaldo posted:

Thats reads like a Trump tweet.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Mariota was destined to be an aggressive Alex Smith but instead hes alex Smith without Harbaugh

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Its Rinaldo posted:

I mean Noted Dirty Player Clay Matthews isn't getting much sympathy from me but he's not exactly wrong either. The weird thing is Russ has been 50/50 on not having some real dirty shots called but also getting some utter horseshit phantom calls in his favor.

In short, the NFL is a land of contrasts

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
He's not wrong but gently caress Clay Matthews he deserves every phantom call he gets

Quiet Feet posted:

Thats reads like a Trump tweet.

How dare you :argh:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

adaz posted:

This last week really felt like saying goodbye to the 2015 QB Draft Class. I mean outside of who will end up starting for the Bears next season or whoever needs a "bridge" QB but hoo lordy those stats and year over year just awful play from those 2 feels like the end.

If I hadn't read anything past this post I couldn't name a single QB drafted that year TBH

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Manoueverable posted:

I mean Noted Dirty Player Clay Matthews isn't getting much sympathy from me but he's not exactly wrong either. The weird thing is Russ has been 50/50 on not having some real dirty shots called but also getting some utter horseshit phantom calls in his favor.

In short, the NFL is a land of contrasts

I enjoyed the expanded definition of horse collar tackle applied to Russ this past week.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/1184160468824395776?s=19

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I enjoyed the expanded definition of horse collar tackle applied to Russ this past week.

Was he in the pocket? Cause there's supposed to be no horse collar in the pocket as well.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Supposedly he was out of the pocket, in which case I'm OK with that call, because I want to throw a flag just looking at that picture.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

^^ Yeah, exactly. Trevor Siemian is the Vikings backup QB, Matt Barkley is the Bills, Brett Hundley on the Cardinals.

Guys who don't turn the ball over much and can caretake an offense will always have a job in the league though. Blake Bortles has a job, Mariota could easily bounce around the league for like 15 more years.

I don't know that I would say Blake Bortles doesn't turn the ball over much. He averages just under 10 fumbles plus 15 INT's a year, and he did't play a full season his last year. At the very least I'd say he definitely gives the other team the opportunity to take the ball away lol

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Nodoze posted:

I don't know that I would say Blake Bortles doesn't turn the ball over much. He averages just under 10 fumbles plus 15 INT's a year, and he did't play a full season his last year. At the very least I'd say he definitely gives the other team the opportunity to take the ball away lol

Bortles is the guy always listed behind Jameis in all his insane turnover stats.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

Yeah, I kind of went off on a tangent when I refreshed and saw Adaz's post.

In a world where Bortles and all the other aggressively bad backups exist, Mariota is a valued backup, who's probably gonna be making Bridgewater money for the next decade.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I kind of went off on a tangent when I refreshed and saw Adaz's post.

In a world where Bortles and all the other aggressively bad backups exist, Mariota is a valued backup, who's probably gonna be making Bridgewater money for the next decade.

He might work in the Pats system.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I'd imagine there will be several places where he's too good to sign as a backup because the fans would immediately want him to start.

Like imagine if he was in Chicago this year.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Mariota is bad but he's not Trubisky bad. If he were in Chicago he'd be rightfully starting. If Tannehill were in Chicago they'd probably make the playoffs.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I'd imagine there will be several places where he's too good to sign as a backup because the fans would immediately want him to start.

Like imagine if he was in Chicago this year.

Right but if you were a place starting a old qb (Saints, Pats, Steelers, Packers, Chargers) a marcus marriota or ryan tannehill is a great insurance policy if you lose a qb for 4-8 weeks or whatever. The rest of the team is presumably good enough you don't have to write the season off as the competent play of the backup qb is enough to get you over the hump. It's a post Andrew Luck world too where I wonder if we'll see teams start to hold QBs out more and more if they have nagging injuries to prevent the whole "i'm so injured all the time football is no longer fun". That is assuming competent backup qbs exist -- I think we're seeing some of that with Cam right now for example.

It's just if the guy will accept that or if they think no I can go to Chicago and turn this around!!!!!!!!!

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1184202733261414400

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Be interesting to see the return there. The shine is definitely off Peters the last couple of years but man was he a gamechanger early on.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Have fun with that Rams

https://twitter.com/Browns/status/1184201147403386880

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Sounds like player for player:

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/status/1184201528988569600?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

hmm