Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I hate it when people get politics in my war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Chris Knight posted:

yeah let's go for revenue, profit is for losers!

once you have revenue profit is just a dial you can turn right?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

eschaton posted:

A good round of layoffs can easily turn revenue into profit.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

eschaton posted:

just crank the revenue dial until you IPO, then crank the profit dial for two quarters until you get included in the S&P 500 :viggo:

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

kliras posted:

factorialboy 0 minutes ago

Can we please discuss the merits of this article — role of AI in future conflicts — without taking sides on any of the ongoing wars?

thank god WOPR had a way to play itself

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
dudus 1 hour ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Fake AI law firms are sending fake DMCA threats to...

I just signed up for this genAI summit but the lack of social buzz and the profile of the organizers give me a strange feeling.

https://genaisummit.ai/#/

I'm afraid this is might be a fake conference created by AI. Am I crazy? I paid $500 for tickets. I almost signed up for the booth.

I'll have to start emailing speakers for confirmation because it's not passing the smell test.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hahaha

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

context:

kstrauser 1 day ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Historically, that was also a big goal of GNU. It aimed to get rid of artificial limitations in core utilities. That was a big improvement over (made up example) sed having a finite and short maximum command length.

deckard1 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

I can understand why people wanted that, and the benefit of doing that.
With that said, I also see benefit in having limitations. There is a certain comfort in knowing what a tool can do and cannot do. A hammer cannot become a screwdriver. And that's fine because you can then decide to use a screwdriver. You're capable of selection.
Take PostgreSQL. How many devs today know when it's the right solution? When should they use Redis instead? Or a queue solution? Cloud services add even more confusion. What are the limitations and weaknesses of AWS RDS? Or any AWS service? Ask your typical dev this today and they will give you a blank stare. It's really hard to even know what the right tool is today, when everything is abstracted away and put into fee tiers, ingress/egress charges, etc. etc.
tl;dr: limitations and knowledge of those limitations are an important part of being able to select the right tool for the job

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think I’ve interviewed that guy

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

"QuackDB supports up to 2GB tables" being easier to reason about than "QuackDB supports up to 2PB tables [but it gets really expensive and really show after a couple of gigs, according to word of mouth]" is a pretty drat lukewarm take

though it shouldn't take one long to realise that only the latter gives you time to plan a migration more or less at your leisure

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

2 gb of data ought to be enough for anyone

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

I think I’ve interviewed that guy
Your question? Your question again, rephrased? Ask your typical dev this today and they will give you a blank stare.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
nonrandomstring 34 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Japanese American Bird Pins

This is actually a very inspiring story that shines hope on the ability of humanity to totally separate, reconstruct itself and thrive.

Unlike Nazi extermination camps the US American concentration camps were simply to "contain" the Japanese Americans,

In response the inmates built a town and a culture. In most places if you put 18.000 people into a couple square miles you'd have a humanitarian disaster. Instead they grew crops, made clothes, planted gardens, opened schools, created jobs, hospitals, newspapers, mess halls, dry goods stores and police and fire departments.

"They found ways to continue their careers as doctors, journalists, teachers or farmers. By the end of 1943, 85% of the vegetables eaten in the camps came from within them."

Anyone who thinks we are hopelessly dependent on the corporate superstructure and hopelessly beholden to technology is simply proved wrong by this example from not too distant history.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

rufus_foreman 13 minutes ago | parent | prev | next [–]

>> Car companies in 1910 would have been real bastions of free enterprise. By 1950 they had massive lobbyists and all the rest

Car companies couldn't produce cars between February, 1942 and October, 1945, because the federal government ordered them to produce weapons instead.

There was certainly at least one car company executive that resisted that, he got called a fascist.

Free enterprise was completely suspended. 100%.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

ctrw 1 day ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

I have llm very patiently explain to me why I crashed prod when I used the wrong conversion factor between ms and mus and us. Thanks SI very cool that one of the more often used units needs unicode to be entered into code.
Llm are absolutely helping with catching buts and code quality already.

constantcrying 1 day ago | prev | next [–]

This seems insane and totally unenforceable.
Even when I wrote very single line of code myself, I use AI to ask it about questions regarding the programming language or the library that I use. Banning that is just handicapping yourself.
I do like the sentiment. You absolutely do not want people to commit code they don't understand themselves, but the solution isn't to outright ban AI. The solution is to have trusted, knowledgeable developers who are aware of the limits of AI and use it appropriately.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

lemagedurage 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

ChatGPT3.5 already spots bugs, e.g. when I swap the order of conditions in fizzbuzz. An error that a human could make. We've been at the point where AI can help spot bugs for a while already.
AI can be used poorly, AI can be used well.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

The solution is to have trusted, knowledgeable developers who are aware of the limits of AI and use it appropriately.

whether it should be called “AI” or “IntelliSense 3000 Pro” aside, especially given that with or without transformer tech we were headed towards ML models backing things like IntelliSense more broadly, this is correct IMO

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

quote:

You absolutely do not want people to commit code they don't understand themselves, but the solution isn't to outright ban AI.

this is how we run our paid programming interviews these days, FWIW: please feel free to use copilot/ChatGPT/Claude, but expect to get “why” questions and be asked about tradeoffs and similar

people are going to use tools like that (and Google before them, which we also permitted and encouraged) at work, so they might as well use them during the interview

we have some work to do to tune the problem set and train interviewers on some new elements, but it’s working OK so far

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

fritz posted:

lemagedurage 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

ChatGPT3.5 already spots bugs, e.g. when I swap the order of conditions in fizzbuzz. An error that a human could make. We've been at the point where AI can help spot bugs for a while already.
AI can be used poorly, AI can be used well.

look, it's been a while since i've sat down and coded anything more complex than a quick script, but is it unreasonable of me that my first thought was "how do you gently caress up fizzbuzz and need an ai to catch it"?

my brother in christ, it's fizzbuzz. even if you run the bad code, it's not going to kill a prod server unless you wrote some really, really bad fizzbuzz.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

also fizzbuzz is one of the most documented programming problems on the internet, so probably playing a bit to the strengths of a model built on scraping that same internet

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Neito posted:

look, it's been a while since i've sat down and coded anything more complex than a quick script, but is it unreasonable of me that my first thought was "how do you gently caress up fizzbuzz and need an ai to catch it"?

my brother in christ, it's fizzbuzz. even if you run the bad code, it's not going to kill a prod server unless you wrote some really, really bad fizzbuzz.
be funny if this is the natural conclusion of all those people without a degree who took those "full stack" courses in silicon valley to get jobs slinging unoptimized ruby on rails code for social media platforms without moderation and chat apps for you and your pets with a valuation of $200m

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

also fizzbuzz is one of the most documented programming problems on the internet, so probably playing a bit to the strengths of a model built on scraping that same internet

llm fixes typos in your term paper about shakespeare so it can clearly also write you a sonnet that will stand the test of time

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

llm fixes typos in your term paper about shakespeare so it can clearly also write you a sonnet that will stand the test of time
but not the unit test!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

kliras posted:

unoptimized ruby on rails code

but you repeat yourself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Neito posted:

where do u work that you actually deploy fizzbuzz

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
jizzbuzz

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fart simpson posted:

We offer scalable fizzbuzz solutions for large enterprises.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

lobsterminator posted:

We offer scalable fizzbuzz solutions for large enterprises.

We can handle numbers all the way up to 500 million. contact our sales team for the baz extension

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
this one was too easy to quote but what a loving shithole hn is

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=40050844

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Armitag3 posted:

We can handle numbers all the way up to 500 million. contact our sales team for the baz extension

some sales guy heard of qux and now I have to work overtime for the next month

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

fart simpson posted:

https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I hate it when people get politics in my war

i just want to jerk off to theoretical military weapons without all those yucky politics

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yareal 31 minutes ago | next [–]

It turns out that money laundering is still money laundering even if you do it in a fancy, machine automatable way. It stuns me that people thought they had somehow beat the system by building technology like this. The government is going to be like, pretty ruthless in chasing it down.

unboxingelf 10 minutes ago | parent | next [–]

Have you ever considered there may be legitimate use cases for such technology? Like normal Americans maintaining financial privacy?

Cash was a private, p2p currency before it was basically replaced with corporate, permissioned and surveilled credit.

Bitcoin is pseudonymous p2p money but the ledger is public. Obfuscating bitcoin to prevent 3rd parties from seeing your balance is not money laundering.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
narrator: it was

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
bonus pg wisdom

https://bsky.app/profile/ryxcommar.bsky.social/post/3kr2b5e5yft2g

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

TriangleEdge 2 days ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: FTC says Amazon executives destroyed potential evi...

I could be wrong, but my assumption is that tech companies with a lot of talent develop their own messaging apps for the execs and friends. Why would they risk using a popular platform? The data could be sent via whatever medium, doesn't need to be ethernet. I also assume this is how most illegal collusion is done as well, unless someone wants to give me other data points.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

most illegal collusion in the valley happens on WhatsApp, with iMessage and then Signal a distant second and third

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lol imagine supporting a dogshit homegrown chat client and the ceo calls you up at 4AM to make you add a complete suite of nazi runes to the emoji picker

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dave morin posted:

It’s a custom-designed, one-of-a-kind bespoke app I had built for my assistant and I to communicate and collaborate through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

the gently caress does "it doesn't need to be routed via ethernet" mean in this context.