Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

TheArchimage posted:

Historically they usually don't open this up until halfway through the month.

Got 1400 words or so in before going to bed, and I'm away from my computer for the whole day so that's going to have to do. I'll get a buffer going over the weekend.

I remember using the word counter to check my progress all last year. Like, not the validation checker, just a word counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Final day one update: 3220. Considering this is the first writing I'm working on in moooonths I'll take it as a huge win. Going to try to sneak on before my run tomorrow morning and then maybe again after if the kids aren't up yet.

Keep it going y'all!

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?

McTimmy posted:

I remember using the word counter to check my progress all last year. Like, not the validation checker, just a word counter.

There's a little plus sign button next to "Writer's Resources" at the top. Click it and put your number in. Tada.

Yeah, they should really label that stupid thing. I can't wait for the site to stop being a mess.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

1868 words on the first day for me. I was hoping for a little bit more but something I ate disagreed with me and wiped me out for a couple of hours. :smith: But I'm still a little bit ahead of schedule so it's all good.

And yeah god the new website is still throwing me for a loop.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
2606 words and ended int he middle of an interesting scene that should be easy to pick up again!

Hope everyone's first day of Nano went well!

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Holy poo poo the new website is loving garbo. None of this poo poo makes any sense and its a huge pain in the rear end to just figure out how to update your word count on your current project. All words I write bitching about how bad their website is should count towards my word count goal and they should make a less lovely website. Anyways, ~1200 words today, ideally I pound out way more this weekend.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Is there no way to see what your buddies have accomplished so far? I remember on the previous site being able to see everyone's word count on one page. I suppose I could actually check everyone's project individually but let's be real, I probably won't do that.

Added about 1k words (4200 total) this morning after the kids woke up and we had breakfast. My three year old was at my elbow most of the time repeatedly asking what my story is about and pretending to write her own story with a crayon. Hoping to add another 1k between naptime & after they go to bed which will give me a full day's buffer ahead of a day with loooots of free time tomorrow. I want to try to enter day 4 at 10k words

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I cheated and started on Oct 31st/counted words I wrote towards the Thunderdome but i'm still pretty happy to be sitting at 4k words on day 2.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

For real, this is the first year where I've been actively avoiding the main NaNo site as much as possible other than to input my word count at the end of the day. Hopefully it'll be better next year after some more work on it but until then I'm just gonna hang out on 4thewords.

I'm up to about 3000 so far and I'm hoping to get another ~1000 in by the end of the day. Perfect weekend for that extra hour thanks to Daylight Savings Time here in my neck of the woods, too.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Today I learned a new respect for Hemingway because writing with a hangover is garbage. Gave up after 200ish words, maybe I'll have a rally before midnight but ya, gently caress writing with a hangover.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

7115 words total after day 2, feeling pretty good still, and already my story has jumped into a pattern of home life > plot > home life > plot

I guess the protagonist will have to wait to turn into a vampire tomorrow.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
4972. Looking to double up tomorrow.

^ I’m starting to wrap up my characters home life aaaaand the superflu’s just about to wipe out the world. Lots of solitary fun coming up

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
hit 5K, though im jumping around in the story!

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Whoria Discordia posted:

Just remember the quality doesn't matter, just whether or not it's done. It doesn't have to be ready to publish any time soon or anything, and you can edit all you want come December. You've got this!

And don't forget, everything is December Me's Problem!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I hit 6500 today. It's nice to have a little bit of a buffer especially going into the work week. The extra hour from Daylight Savings Time was nice, too. Glad to hear so many of you are off to a strong start as well!!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Can I not edit the word counts from past days either? Ugh, why would you remove features like that.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

And so I end day three with a 11669 word count. Feeling pretty good so far, and I've got a nice buffer. I'm sure that will change since the weekend is over, though.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Turns out Sunday was a busy day! I managed to get 500~ words done in a morning blitz but never got a chance to go back. Day 3 total was 5469- barely ahead of schedule but definitely feeling good.

edit - okay I pretended to work for a bit and wrote instead- 900+ later and I'm rolling again. Going to actually work now and hop back on at lunch.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 4, 2019

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I have no idea where my story is going, but I'm making good time.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Had a more productive weekend than I feared, but less productive than I'd hoped. I'm at 8k words and about to head off to work for the rest of the day. Here's hoping I can stay ahead of the curve for the workweek, or at least not fall too far behind.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Another 900 for lunch. Up to 7,271. Gonna get those kids to bed early tonight and try to add more!

edit - added nothing last night. Oops. Just wrapped up a quick blitz with 339 added. These short little blitzes may be my saving grace instead of my usual attempts at sitting still for an hour+ trying to stay focused.

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 5, 2019

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Why did the site randomly erase half the progress I made yesterday.

EDIT: Now it's adding words! What the gently caress.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 5, 2019

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Having to catch up after a wasted weekend. Ended up starting a Google Doc (with the intent to transfer everything to Scrivener later) just so I can keep everything together. Last couple years I've had bits of novel on my phone, laptop, and tablet that I had to assemble later. Now I just need to do the actual writing.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
8,413 total. Barely ahead of the curve but that's what I was aiming for tonight. Story's at a place where I think I can really open up and get wild now

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Bam, hit 10K. Got a good buffer going on!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

:sigh: Just trailing by about 900 words. Hoping to make up the difference tonight or tomorrow.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Crossed 10k today! I feel like this year's writing is going pretty smooth for me so far which I'll admit has me a little worried about the inevitable halfway slump.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Whew, hit my daily goal just before the clock ticked over.

Now to do it all again.

It's been a nice return to form after several years of lethargy.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

17513 words. I should be able to hit 20k by this time tomorrow, which is both a blessing and a curse because my story is nowhere near anything that could resemble a 40% mark in terms of plot, which means I'm writing too much fluff and not enough stuff.

But the fluff is so fun to write though.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
So like I mentioned in my last post, story is ready to open up now. Managed to fluff through an opening and some drama/world setting in 8400 words. I knew the Giant Steps I wanted mc to take but needed to think out how it could all fit together.

I was the weirdo at the gym this morning parked on my phone in between sets, typing furiously in a google doc. Aaaand then I was the weirdo at the red light talking to noone in particular while dictating to the same google doc. I put down about 1100 words of an actual overview/plot and I actually feel super ready to tackle the remainder of the project.

Good luck everyone! We're almost 1/5 through this bad bitch!

edit - to reinforce this, I just slammed 2219 words in an hour while youngest was sleeping and 3-year-old was coloring and playing next to me. Rolling!

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 6, 2019

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I've been using it as a exercise in writing every day, and so far I've managed to create at least one short story or flash fiction for a week. I haven't been consistently hitting 1,600 words a day and according to the website my expected completion date is Dec. 7th, but I'm still really happy with myself. Most of the stories aren't good and all if them need work, but they aren't free associations just to get some words on the page either.

It feels really good to find the motivation to do something creative again. I really hope I can keep it up.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

This is the first year where I've really struggled to keep up. I think I'm just going to have to accept that the weekends are where I'm going to get this done, while the weekdays are for falling behind as little as possible. At least I've got a week off coming up where I can try and get ahead.

I can definitely appreciate the difference planning made though. I only got the main beats for the first act planned out but it's really helpful to know where I'm going. At the same time, I'm keenly aware of how much easier this would be if I'd planned out individual scenes - the step I never got round to.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The website was dumb and counted the work I did from 11pm to 12am yesterday for today because I submitted it like a minute to late. But then I went and wrote some more and it was complete nonsense because I was actually falling asleep at the time.

And tonight I've finally rolled over the big 20k with 20684 words, and I've still somehow not managed to escape Act 1. I'm this close to just saying gently caress it and turning this into a slice of life instead of not-vampires, but the not-vampires have already infested the text. But I probably shouldn't worry. I've still got three weekend days before we're officially a third of the way through the month. I should be done with Act 1 by then... right?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

My dog decided being scared by thunderstorms was more important than letting me write, so I'm about a thousand words behind. It's still doable but I hate getting a little buffer and then losing it immediately.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Staggy posted:

I think I'm just going to have to accept that the weekends are where I'm going to get this done, while the weekdays are for falling behind as little as possible.

Yeah I think that's my plan going forward too. My job decided to pick the actual worst month ever for us all to crunch and work overtime :negative: so I've already lost most of my buffer from last weekend.

Anyway, an update from the help site because I know a few of us (myself included) were looking for this:

NaNoWriMo posted:

We know that the ability to backdate word-count updates is a really high priority for folks and we're working on that right now. We won't be replying to emails about this subject; instead, we will post updates in the Support forum and on Twitter as soon as that's available. Thank you for your patience!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I was at about 11,500 before yesterday and managed to get up to 12k on lunch. A little behind the curve but today I sat down and just did a day's worth of words after breakfast, up to 13,850 now. Hoping to add some more between football games & kids napping. I'm feeling a little trapped in build up hell. Why aren't all my characters dying yet??

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
17,547. Was a little behind going into this weekend, now a little ahead. Some people are dying now. I feel a little less jammed up in the story

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Passed 20,000 today. I'm happy with my progress so far and built up a bit of a buffer again over the weekend, I'm sure I'm going to chip into that buffer through the week though.

Sending good vibes to everyone still at it!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Sitting on 25900 now, and I've still got more to write to hit the quota for today, and I'm actually writing plot finally!

Hope everyone else is getting into the groove and/or avoiding the mid-story doldrums. Can't believe we're a third of the way through the month already!

EDIT: ALSO I'm apparently a big dumb because I just now realized that if you use the timer/stopwatch feature on the dang website, it will calculate your start time for you. And here I am, taking screenshots of my starting time like a rube!

EDIT 2: Oh god, if you're using the stopwatch and it passes any 10 minute increment, it plays a loud DING sound effect, and it jump scared the hell out of me. help how do I make it stop

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I'm about 500 words behind and slowly catching up day-over-day. I wish I could dedicate more than a couple hours a day to writing, but alas, life.

andipossess posted:

EDIT 2: Oh god, if you're using the stopwatch and it passes any 10 minute increment, it plays a loud DING sound effect, and it jump scared the hell out of me. help how do I make it stop

Turn off your monitorspeakers.