Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Slower than I wanted, but still a step up from recent years. Victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Congrats! 50k in 11 days is amazing!

I'm at 19,313, slowly getting nearer to my personal best of 27k~ from I think 2016. I really think I have the ability to do it this year!

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
1k words behind. I've come back from bigger deficits before, but the weekends are the only times I have to write and in previous years my weekends haven't been as busy as this year's promises to be.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

McTimmy posted:

Slower than I wanted, but still a step up from recent years. Victory.

Hell yeah, way to go!

I'm sitting at 21K words, gonna take the 15th off to celebrate halfway through nano!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

25k! :woop:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Hit 35k just now, and now I'm more worried about what I'm going to do after I hit 50k than actually reaching it. Because hoo boy, there's a whole lot more left to write.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Same!

:woop:

andipossess posted:

Hit 35k just now, and now I'm more worried about what I'm going to do after I hit 50k than actually reaching it. Because hoo boy, there's a whole lot more left to write.

Also the same! 26k words in and I might hit the end of Act 1 some time soon?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just hit 20k, running behind but still going.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Bam, hit the halfway point. 25K.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

hollylolly posted:

I just hit 20k, running behind but still going.

This is exactly me too. I'm rolling. Weekend is coming up!

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Cracked 22k. Still behind but not nearly by as much as I was afraid of, and the weekend is fast approaching.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

oh hey there was somewhere I forgot to tell about it--SA!

I hit my 50K across both projects on the 12th. That would be my 15th Nano win (in a row) and this year ties with 2013 for my fastest Nano Win.

(Look, let's be real here unless I get super crunk, nothing's going to top that 2012 win time.)

I'm still writing though. Will I hit the elusive 100k in a month? Let's find out together!

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

I have 8k words left to try and squeeze the rest of Act 1 into the 50k goal. At this rate, unless I figure out how not to overindulge in slice-of-life scenes and just do actual plot, my first draft will be 150k words, which is about twice the recommended length for a YA novel.

But sometimes you just gotta write that two thousand word trick-or-treating scene that advances a minor subplot. You know, just to get it out of your system.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

andipossess posted:

I have 8k words left to try and squeeze the rest of Act 1 into the 50k goal. At this rate, unless I figure out how not to overindulge in slice-of-life scenes and just do actual plot, my first draft will be 150k words, which is about twice the recommended length for a YA novel.

But sometimes you just gotta write that two thousand word trick-or-treating scene that advances a minor subplot. You know, just to get it out of your system.

Haha that's awesome! It's daunting to see how much you've written, and yet how much there still is. I just wrote a small snippet which changed my ending, though I enjoy it a lot more.

I hit 32K!

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

andipossess posted:

See me, circa 2012. though I'm pretty sure that scene took up 3 or 4 k on the page.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Unfortunately I think I'm about to fall off this horse. It's not the writing itself, which I always enjoy, it's the narrative. The story I was writing is officially defunct and now I'm writing non-sequitur crapola just to keep up the count. It seems pointless to continue. Fun while it lasted, though.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

I think my story's gonna wrap up around 45k, which is fine, because I went in knowing my idea this year was more fitting for a lengthy short story or novella than a real big novel so I was kind of prepared. I'm okay with filling in the remaining word count with other projects, because hey, it's still 50k total words of fiction, right?

Anyway, I'm at 38,767 right now and pretty happy about my pace.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Just under 20k, have sat here for over a week now. Oops. I would like to try to get another 7k-8k words done just to have my best NaNo performance because it would feel good, but I don't know if I'll be able to finish this story overall. Hard work!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Omnikin posted:

Just under 20k, have sat here for over a week now. Oops. I would like to try to get another 7k-8k words done just to have my best NaNo performance because it would feel good, but I don't know if I'll be able to finish this story overall. Hard work!

I believe in you bud. If ya want we can do some sprints on Saturday, talk about your story? (Dunno if that helps, some people it does).

Im sitting at 36K, got a day buffer.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Finally pushed past 30k. The sticky middle bit is trying to take me under. Everything is terrible.

:tif:

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Just managed to rush past 50k before midnight putting me at a day 21 finish for my first NaNo! And it'll probably be the best I'll ever do! And I've still got two thirds of a novel to go!

I think I'll probably end up writing other things for the rest of the month and then attempt to get back into the headspace of this novel. Good luck to everyone still pushing through.

hollylolly posted:

Finally pushed past 30k. The sticky middle bit is trying to take me under. Everything is terrible.

:tif:

You can do this!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I just finished my first book ever at 50,022. Somehow I had just barely enough content planned to inch over the finish line without having to go back and add some filler. Now I can focus on gorging myself over the long weekend.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I fell a bit short on my writing, so I filled out my very last 4k with planning. Lots and lots of brainstorming and notes for what I need to fill out. It still counts! And with that I managed to get 50k exactly!

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll keep writing past today. I've been experiencing major burnout and a lot of stress to hit my word goals-- I got stuck a lot, and had to skip around in my outline just to stay where I wanted to be. I'm not a huge fan of the fact that every year after I win I just stop writing, even if there are more days left to go, but I don't know if I can keep going, or if I even should. I did what I set out to do, and I feel good about that. I now have a fresh draft that I can edit further and get more feedback on that will hopefully be more relevant to my final vision of the story than my first draft blather.

I'm happy with what I've done. I'm proud of myself for not giving up even when I desperately wanted to. It's been a productive month. Thank god it's over.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Maybe writing a novel just isn’t the right creative outlet for you, and you should try drawing, or screenwriting, or whatever else.

You sound like how I used to be with running. I could do marathons, but I didn't really like the running itself. I’d sign up for a race if someone else I knew did, train enough to finish it, be happy about finishing, but then stop. Eventually I stumbled onto climbing, and now I’ll go climbing just for the fun of it, which I would never do for running.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Edit: not worth it

You hit 50k words woooo!

Exmond fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 27, 2019

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Took a bit longer than I was hoping for due to hitting a major burnout wall this last week, but. 50k. Eleventh win in a row.

I'll admit I'm kind of in a similar moment of "is this all really worth it" brain fog, unlike a lot of people who participate I have no interest or ambition in becoming a published writer or anything; I started doing NaNo years ago initially because it sounded fun and then it just sort of became a self-challenge to Not Break the Win Streak. But hey, it does feel good to finish something, and I'm sure I'll be back next year, ahaha.

Congrats to all the other winners!

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

My last three days of the month were/are way too hectic to write so I am tapping out at 41k but it’s also the closest I’ve ever come to winning. :kiddo:

Congrats to the winners!

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Boom, hit 50K :)

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Done!

The latest I've left it by far and it required over 10,000 words today to make it but I've finally hit 50k.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

raspy trashfucker fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 1, 2019

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

raspy trashfucker fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 1, 2019

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
I meant to keep more regular updates on my progress, but given I was behind for nearly the entire month it probably would have given me even more anxiety than the month already did. Anyway, I made it to 50k right under the wire.

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014

raspy trashfucker fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 1, 2019

raspy trashfucker
Jul 5, 2014
nevermind that's not as good as previous babyses

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Bam, 50k on the last day.

Quick thoughts on doing a ttrpg for nano:

1) Sketch outlines and just slam out random thoughts on mechanics as you have them. I heavily recommend having a section at the end that's just for jutting down notes. The lack of a narrative structure and sequence of chronological events is really good for this.

2) With that said, do not actually try to write out or balance any specific mechanics unless there is something really clever that you want to get down exactly. Balancing and mechanical tightness do NOT translate into word count (and properly done will probably lower your word count), and this really tripped me up for about the first third of Nano. I would have finished by the 20th if I had the pace I ended with (which was very doable for me specifically, around 2.5 - 3k words a night).

3) Using the opportunity to write lots of setting material is both good for getting that kind of foundation structure down, but is also good for influencing and figuring out the kind of game you want to make. When writing setting and flavor material, I found myself often getting into a place of either refining a mechanical idea I had that reflected well in the world, or the setting would reflect into mechanical ideas and give me some inspiration there. While writing some things I'd find that I didn't actually care about an idea or concept, and that it not feeling right for the setting made me realize I was just carrying around some sacred cows that I could then happily slaughter when I identified them.

I'll carry this forward into the "finish our projects" thread we have in games for ttrpgs after this, I like the basics of what I have down and finally getting in there and chewing on the idea has made me decide it actually has some potential legs to it if I can get them stepping one in front of the other.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This was my first nanowrimo and I hit the 50k last night. I hadn't written much fiction since college (15 odd years ago) so it was rough getting started, but I was surprised to find after the first week I didn't have too much trouble hitting my words in an hour or two. The 'just write' mantra does really help get past my natural tendency to keep hammering away on a single sentence without advancing (I think it was Vonnegut who called that 'bashing').

I didn't really write a novel since I'd guess I have 20 or 30k more words to wrap it up in any way. I'm not sure if I'll continue with it since it definitely isn't very good and I'd need to spend plenty of time editing and rewriting once I actually finished it. Usually I spend my extra productive time working on indie games and November obviously stole most of that and I'm not sure I want to give up another month to my (poor) writing.

Still, I understand the enthusiasm for nanowrimo. It felt good to get in a writing groove and it feels beneficial to any writing I may do in the future.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Congratulations to all winners.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

yeah, I think the best part of NaNo is sort of teaching yourself how to shut off the inner editor and slam down 50k words in a month. It's a valuable skill for the writing toolset, and at the end of the month if some of what you wrote can be salvaged into something better, then that's icing on the cake.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Found this thread late. Been doing NaNo for multiple years, usually use it as a production forge for stuff I edit later in the year.

Is anyone involved in their local groups? I'm one of the Municipal Liaisons for Cambridge in the UK (like a mod only worse and you have to do stuff in real life as well). We've ordanised writing events throughout the month, and usually keep them rolling throughout the rest of the year as well at a slower pace (first saturday of the month in a local cafe) plus pub socials. It's a good way of keeping people involved for next year, as well as giving a year round writing excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I went to some of my local write-ins, and our group actually has a discord, which is handy because I never go to facebook and the nano site doesn't ping you in the group chat thing. This group also does regular meetups-- weekly, I think?-- but they meet up too far away for me to bike there easily. I might make more of an effort if I didn't already have the Write Write Write discord server.