Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Helsing posted:

This isn't about Buttigieg's inner mental state this is about trying to make sense of your political beliefs and how they fit together. In particular I want to understand why all your criticisms of American politics are exclusively focused on Fox News and the Republic Party when Obama and Buttigieg seem to be clear examples of exactly the kind of political romanticism that you're describing here. If we were to compare the crude mercenary rhetoric of Trump to the grandiloquent rhetoric of a typical Obama speech then Trump's semi-coherent ramblings would arguably be a much more honest and accurate presentation of American foreign policy than Obama's absurd attempts to argue that the US military empire is really somehow on the side of justice and human rights.

I think Trump's complete detachment from values of any kind should bring back a certain appreciation for a time when America at least claimed to stand for something. I've never understood this sub-forum's (and yours) comparative rejection of historical or moral relativism. But, I haven't been here for years so I'm not aware of what the current Trump era thesis is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Despera posted:

Your opinion is so out of the political mainstream that you might as well not have it. You'll never convince any substantial group of people that this is true, which is what you kind of need to enact change in a democracy.

Which is why extreme ideology and democracy are effectively incompatible.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember when we elected a guy who proceeded to get you to agree unconditionally funding concentration camps was good

No.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

V. Illych L. posted:

bourgeois conservativism is increasingly in the thrall of the incredibly toxic and increasingly fluid financial capital. western europe went the way of national unity and class compromise, and what is left is the movements that granted them the power to make such compromises has been completely eroded.

'let us not talk about class' is literally what brought us to the present nadir of left-wing politics. we are simply not going to be able to escape the fundamental conflict between labour and capital, between the interests of those who would see property accumulate value amd those who would not. of course, one can talk about the finer points - as, indeed, the orthodox marxists did to the point of tedium - but we simply have to have that relationship as the central one in our politics, and drat the homeowners

No you don’t. There is no “one weird trick” to solve the problems of human society. There is no single relationship or ingredient that can be added or removed to do it.

Capitalist power is simply not that interesting or unique compared to how power manifests in any other form of society.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

There is a working class movement. Look for the Trump flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

Kurnugia posted:

trump exists in a void of alternatives that you created. no matter how many red flags you burn, your workers will never vote for buttgig. butt no matter, the empire will fall regardless. and even if you find that lone gunman for to take down bernie, there'll be others to take his place. the dream of a better world isn't that easy to kill, even if you've succeeded for the moment in dividing the working classes through sectarian hatred

Correct but Trump is the one creating that dream in a way that actually connects with the working class.