Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

If being given a job in exchange for money is unfulfilling and the opportunity to develop your own meaning is also terrible sounding then I think what you want is either a cult or a dominatrix.

Or therapy. Possibly I'm projecting, but it sounds similar to my old situation: people with issues around control often seek positions where they have more control over their schedule and work, only to find that control itself isn't actually gratifying in any meaningful way and that it's really just a means to achieve other goals.

So either you double down on the need for control and start trying to control people and the environment around you, or your own body and mind state, or you question the need for control and where it arises from.

There is probably a political analog here in that authoritarian tendencies stem from a need for control over things which ultimately can't be controlled (like people's thoughts). Douglas Rushkoff wrote an article a while back about how billionaires almost always want immortality, because they're nervous wrecks who are terrified of losing control of their estates. In my experience with the kinds of people who become billionaires (startup founders, VCs, et al) they always, always have some weirdness around control, which would probably be healthier if it was channeled into, say, BDSM or woodworking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU