Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeromancia
Jul 23, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

This exactly. It then causes fatigue and problems with the rest of the body because its stealing food and oxygen all the healthy parts need, basically.

In addition, it increases the risk of the cancerous cell metastasizing through the blood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

You aren't penalized for using the Healing Touch in this game?

Depends on the mission iirc

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

tarbrush posted:

Cancer cells require lots of nutrients to keep growing. Successful tumours therefore secrete growth factors that cause blood vessels to grow into the tumour, providing a good supply of nutritious blood.

I've usually heard it called angiogenesis rather than vasculogenesis, but potato potahto.

hopeandjoy posted:

This exactly. It then causes fatigue and problems with the rest of the body because its stealing food and oxygen all the healthy parts need, basically.

Aeromancia posted:

In addition, it increases the risk of the cancerous cell metastasizing through the blood.

Thanks for the explanations! I added them to the update.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You aren't penalized for using the Healing Touch in this game?

For most operations, no. Good thing too, since Hard difficulty can be very...well...hard. Especially if you're going for all special conditions. Operations that do penalize us will have a "No Healing Touch" as one of the special conditions.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I liked PGS Toxicosis as a gimmick.

* It fits Delphi's stated ideology while being something they'd never have thought to make deliberately.
* It addresses the fandom jokes about antibiotic gel and stabilizer fluid being all-powerful.
* Another perspective of the above 2: the idea that an unexpected side affect does something that all the terrorist group's deliberate engineering doesn't is just amusing to me.

And finally,
* It doesn't do that much to make operations harder, being just another thing to keep track of that could contribute to a downward spiral - but without technically harming the patients' vitals.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Is he making progress?
The African kid? He's a tough one. No need to worry. I had him help me with three heart operations with electroanatomical mapping, and he still wanted more. He's a great guy to train.
I agree.
You want to help train him too... That's what you're thinking, right, Dr. Stiles? Why don't you invite him to watch one of your PGS operations sometime?
I-I guess I could do that.
Anyway, aren't you getting a little carried away calling yourself "The Demon," Tyler?
Well, for a laid-back guy like me to get a tough rep, I have to be creative. By the way, he was thrilled when I lent him a recording of you using your Healing Touch. I hear that he's watching it all the time.
If you just ask him, I'm sure he'd be delighted to come watch you work, Doctor.

Yes? Oh, Dr. Clarks. How can I help you?
I've been looking for you.

His only role is to take over when Derek failed an operation. He's so forgettable that the guy who rip the sprites forgot to rip his.

It's about my PGS patient that was admitted today... When I checked her charts, I saw that she was a patient you operated on back at Hope Hospital.
Really!? Who?
She's a young lady named Linda Reid. Do you remember her?
Linda!?
Her!?

Well, duh. She's the only GUILT patient from Derek's time in Hope Hospital.

Dr. Stiles... I believe she's psychologically exhausted. Would you mind seeing her as soon as you have the time?
No problem! Angie, let's go.
Right away!

But the root of her instability was, in truth, her GUILT infection.

There's a few things the game isn't mentioning here.

First, the localization ages her up into 17 from 14. This causes Linda to get caught up in anime time and stay 17-years-old for 3 years.

Second, Linda is 150.4 cm (59.2 inch) and 95.2 lbs (43.2 Kg) but she calls herself fat. It can be explained either by Linda's depression or by Japan being Japan :japan:

Third, Angie flat out told Linda to kill herself.

Yep. Thankfully Derek manages to calm Linda down soon after and cure her of that GUILT.

Hopefully Angie'd be better this game now that she has a counselor friend :pray:

Linda...
Doctor, I... I've lived my life to the fullest ever since you treated me... I reconciled with my parents... I made it into high school... But still... Why!? Why am I being put through this again!? Please tell me, Doctor... Have I done something wrong!?
Linda... You've done nothing wrong. Nothing whatsoever! The reason for all this is that disease you contracted three years ago. You're not to blame!
Then, please, treat me, Doctor...! Please, get rid of this disease once and for all! I beg of you!
Linda... I promise! I will completely eradicate it this time! I won't lose to this disease.
...According to the examination, there are tumors in her lung. The reason for their onset hasn't been ascertained yet, but we can almost certainly connect it to PGS. She's emotionally unstable at the moment, and that's likely due to the illness as well.

On one hand, seems like everyone in this place never heard of depression or something. Maybe the war zone isn't the only place that could use a counselor.

On the other, nobody would be happy if their lung started acting up.

She had similar symptoms when she was suffering from GUILT the first time too...
I see... Then, we have to be cautious. Since she's developed so many tumors, we should operate on her as soon as possible.

I-It hurts! Doctor, m-my chest... hurts...! Help me, Doctor!
Linda!
This isn't good, Derek! Angie, bring in the sedative!
Right away!
D-Doctor! It really hurts!
Dr. Clarks! Her blood pressure is dropping!
Alright! Get ready to begin an emergency operation!
It's okay, Linda! I'm here with you! Hang in there! Dr. Clarks! I have a favor to ask of you!
What is it, Dr. Stiles?
I don't mean to overstep my bounds, but... Please allow me to perform this operation!
Dr. Stiles... I had a feeling you would say that.
Then... you don't mind!?
She's always been your patient. I think it's best that you handle this procedure.
Thank you very much, Dr. Clarks!

The patient's lung was infected with the "Kyriaki" GUILT three years ago. But, due to Post-GUILT Syndrome, abscesses have now formed inside her right lung. There are two objectives in this operation:
  • Drain the pus filling the lung.
  • Excise and extract the festering tumor.

We're going to be dealing with the regular tumor, not the vital-draining regenerating kind.

Dr. Stiles... Let's cure Linda for good this time!
Right!

Operation Video

Let's begin the operation. Please open her up carefully...

There's pus seeping out of the tumor! First, we have to treat the toxicosis though!

The game forces us to inject the sedative before letting us do anything else.

Toxicosis has subsided! Now we can continue with the procedure! Please drain the pus.

:eng101: Pus is the liquid produced in infected tissue, consisting of dead white blood cells and bacteria. It's gross.

Inflammations have occurred due to the accumulation of pus. To treat these inflammations, we'll inject an anti-inflammatory into them.

From what I've read, inflammations create pus and not the other way around. But having pus creating inflammations if left too long is a good gameplay mechanic, I guess.

Inflammations will slowly but surely drain our vitals. Injecting them is a nightmare on the Wii games (especially NB), but it's not bad in the DS games.

The inflammation treatment is complete. Please start extracting the tumors.

The pus will stop forming after we remove the tumors, but the game like to throw one right at the wound just to piss us off.

Needless to say, if we put the membrane on top of the pus, the game will count that as a Miss.

We can use the pus to determine the location of the tumors without memorization. We need to do this to get some Cool ranks.

We've completed the treatment... But her vitals are still unstable. There may be tumors we haven't found in a wider area. Let's use the magnification tool to look around.

In UtK/SO, the magnification tool replaces the ultrasound for a few operations. In other games (including this one), they both can be used simultaneously.

Once you have the magnification tool, use it anywhere on the operation field... Then, keep holding it down while you slide it in the direction of the area you want to check. You can scroll around the operation field for as long as you have it held down. To use the ultrasound, press the operation field where yoiu want to check, just like normal. Use the magnification tool and the ultrasound to find the tumors!

Hope you didn't get 'Lucky' and have the start of the sliding spot be right where the tumor is! If that happens, you'll lose your Cool rank for that tumor. This matters only if you're going for XS rank.

Anyway, we have four more tumors to deal with; two on each end of the lung. This is a good time to pop that Healing Touch.

Another disadvantage when playing on the DS: sometimes the graphics will screw with you. For example, you can't put the membrane on the left wound because the game will think you tried to put the membrane back into the tray but miss it (and thus giving us a Miss).

This means that we have to waste time using the magnification tool. It's minor but it can add up in hectic operations.

For whatever reason, using the Healing Touch will also makes the transitions go slower. The timer doesn't decrease during these transitions, so all it'll do is waste our time.

Operation complete. Good work, Dr. Stiles.
Back at you, Angie. Do you think she'll be fully cured now?

Like I said, you need to get Cools on those tumors to get XS.

It's actually gotten considerably better, Doctor. I can't wait to leave the hospital and get back to school.
It'll be just a little longer. You'll be able to go back soon.
Really? I'm so happy to hear that. Dr. Stiles... Thank you. Now that I think about it, you've operated on me three times, right?
Yes, that's right.
Was my operation helpful?
Huh? What do you mean?
This hospital is researching GUILT, isn't it? I was hoping you might learn something from my condition. I've caused a lot of trouble up till now, so...

Well, you let us pretty much experiment on your lung, so I'd say you're VERY helpful.

Please, don't blame yourself... I'm sure your case will help us out. It won't be long now before we find a cure for PGS. I'm positive.
You've become such a fine young lady, Linda. I'm proud of you.

And Linda was never seen again in the series. Which is good because that means she doesn't fall ill again :unsmith:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

As much as UtA1 shits on Derrick, Angie is no saint either.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Derek may be a bit of a lazy-rear end moron in the first game, but at least he never told a suicidal girl that maybe she should just die. Especially since, as it turned out, her depression was a symptom of her GUILT infection.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It looks like they were able to procure samples from back before she was infected with GUILT.
If we can compare the DNA of the affected area with the cells' original DNA and find a mutation it'll definitely help us toward our goal of being able to treat PGS. Victor went nuts over the prospect of being able to cure it through DNA treatment.
Well then, we'll have to ask him to push himself to the limit...
But come to think of it... that's probably what he'd do anyway.

Good morning, Dr. Tulba.
Good morning, Adel. How's your training going?
It's very fulfilling... Right? By the way, your neurology report's due today. Have you finished it?
Uh, um... It's going well, but... It covers so much material... I mean, it's such a broad topic...
That doesn't change the fact that it's due today... Understood?
Y-Yes... I'll get it done.

Please don't bully the newcomer :ohdear:

Hey, look! Breaking news on TV... Oh my god! The Secretary of Health is in critical condition! Apparently, he drank something poisonous...
What!? James Pierce!? ...That's serious!
Hey... Isn't Secretary Pierce an acquaintance of Director Hoffman?
Yeah, I think so.
He used to work closely with Secretary Anderson, so they all probably knew each other.
...Who's Secretary Anderson?
He was the previous Director of Caduceus USA and the Secretary of Health and Human Services... He contracted GUILT three years ago and passed away... ......

I mentioned Anderson before when Hoffman was introduced.

Yes... Have a seat.
Yes, sir.
Derek, did you hear the news?
...About Secretary Pierce?
Indeed.
They're saying it was a corrosive type of poison. Some sort of strong acid, or a type of sodium hydroxide.
...And he swallowed that!?
Yes... It seems to have been mixed into his daily medication. He's suffering from severe burns in the back of his throat and his esophagus.

NB players will probably feel a sudden sense of dread upon hearing the word "burn".

Who would do such a thing!? The poison they used wasn't lethal, so it doesn't appear to be an attempt on his life...
Though, it hasn't been ruled out. They're saying that it appears to be the work of an amateur. But, we'll leave the investigation to the police. We have our own role in this.

Exactly. He's being transported here.
It's just like Secretary Anderson.
Yes... You may already know this, but James and I have known each other for years. Every time I met with him, he'd always tell me the same thing. "If anything ever happens to me, I want a doctor from Caduceus."
*sigh* The medical terrorism we saw with GUILT has started to make people extremely neurotic about diseases.
...That's why he requested us?
He is an important figurehead of this nation. It's only natural that those around him would want the Secretary to receive the finest treatment.
I have a feeling this is leading up to why you called me here...
You should know, there will be complications. We're dealing with the government, here. I'm sorry to ask you yet again... But can you do this for us?
Director Hoffman, Chief Kasal...No matter what the details are, it doesn't change the fact that a person's life needs to be saved. That being the case, as a doctor, I am glad to accept this operation. Even more so if Secretary Pierce was an acquaintance of Secretary Anderson. I'll give it everything I have.
...Thank you. I'm counting on you.
Yes, sir!

The affected area expands from the top of the throat, down through the esophagus. There are two objectives in this operation:
  • Treat the burns with skin grafts.
  • Extract the poison-filled capsule.
I'm sure you're familiar with it, but we'll be using a procedure called autografting. This means we'll be obtaining the skin grafts from the patient's own body to use on the affected areas.
Thanks, Angie.

Operation Video

Let's begin the operation. Please perform the treatment promptly.

Since the burn is inside the throat, we still have to perform the usual incision.

The capsule broke, so we can see the poison that has spilled out. Before we treat the burn, we'll need to get rid of the poison. First, drain the poison to clear up the burned area.

There's a lot of poison to drain, so it'll take a while.

The poison is drained. Let's move onto treating the burn.
But, the area that has turned black is a third degree burn and can't be treated as is. You'll need to inject a coolant into it and excise the necrotic tissue. Select the syringe and inject the blue colored coolant into the affected area.

We have to inject the burn and then cut the black tissue before the coolant wear off. After that, we have to remove it. Simple enough so far.

Extraction complete. Let's continue to treat the burn. The membranes we'll use for the transplant need to be taken from the patient himself... Like I said earlier, we'll have to use the autografting procedure. We'll inject culture fluids into healthy areas of the patient to obtain skin grafts. After that, drain the blood pool on the burn so that you can place the skin grafts on it. Then we'll transplant the skin grafts onto the affected area. Please inject the yellow culture fluid into the guidelines to the left and right of the throat.

So yeah, we have to inject the yellow fluid into the squares to make our own membranes. We have to cut their corners before we can actually use them.

I haven't mentioned this before, but using the scalpel will cause the vitals to decrease, so it's better to cut them all quickly. They don't share corners though (unlike NB).

Each burn wound requires 4 membranes to fully cover. If we didn't treat it quick enough, it will worsen and we'll have to use the blue coolant again.

If we took even longer than that, the blackened burn wound will erode the organ. We only need one membrane to cover the eroded wound, but it'll take a huge hit on our vitals (30). Obviously the burn wound can't erode the organ if it's on the skin, so this mechanic is unique to this operation.

Obviously, placing a membrane on top of a blood pool will cause a Miss. Having a blood pool form under a membrane, though, will cause all placed membrane to fall. This doesn't reset our chain, but it will force us to start over.

If a blood pool forms while you're holding the membrane, well... too bad! :buddy: Like Angie said, it's best to drain the blood pools after preparing all four membranes.

We're done treating the burn, but the capsule must still be around here somewhere. Maybe we can find it with the ultrasound.

This is-- It's only half of the capsule! The other half must be somewhere else! If we don't find it quickly, the poison could seep out and cause more burns! Treat the extraction wound with antibiotic gel and then use the ultrasound to look for it!

Now's a good time to use that Healing Touch because we really don't want to take too long. Especially on hard mode.

Here it is. If we took too long to find it, the poison will spill as we remove it and it'll cause 3 more burn wounds.

But since the poison didn't spill, we only have to deal with these two burn wounds. The Healing Touch is useful to prevent them from blackening.

I'm assuming that "Blister" means the blackening of the burn wounds.

Derek...
Yes, Director?
I just wanted to tell you that I thing you're doing a good job. And that I'm sorry to have forced this upon you...
No, not at all...
...You look lost in thought...
Oh... Um... The whole thing just reminds me of Secretary Anderson's passing.
I see...

If this was an attempt to recreate the whole ordeal with Anderson, it's a very poor one :colbert:

He sacrificed his life as a test subject for our GUILT treatment... He was a respectable man, who always looked toward the future...
Yes... ...Caduceus... We're a medical organization that was established to help people who suffer from serious illnesses. We can never be daunted by these diseases; the fight must continue until we eradicate them all. That was Richard's dying wish as well... Derek, I'm counting on you now, as I always have.
Yes, sir!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never did figure out a good way to do grafts quickly. Besides the obvious :gitgud: go fast.

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
When I talk about UtK2 with people, I usually hear people say (and I honestly agree) that two types of operations are the most frustrating in the game. Burn operations are one of them. I won't comment on the biggest reasons since they've yet to show up (and when they do it'll be pretty clear why they're frustrating), but on the score-maximizing side of things burn operations are typically conducive to extremely long OK/Good/Cool chains and the scoring raises the bar accordingly. It sucks to rack up a 200-action combo and then be demoted to a B because you placed a membrane slightly too far to the left.

For a long time I had exactly two operations below S rank. One of them was a burn operation.

1234567890num posted:

...You look lost in thought...
Oh... Um... The whole thing just reminds me of Secretary Anderson's passing.
I see...

If this was an attempt to recreate the whole ordeal with Anderson, it's a very poor one :colbert:

UtK2 tries hard sometimes to be a direct sequel to UtK, callbacks and all. I think some of what it tries works, but sometimes it feels a bit too artificial

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

I never did figure out a good way to do grafts quickly. Besides the obvious :gitgud: go fast.

You can let the burns worsen all you want and it won't hurt your chain. Except in this operation, even the worst stage (the blackened one) won't take that much vitals.

I actually find that placing the membranes isn't hard at all in this game. Just place them directly on top of the burn and the game will automatically readjust them to the corners.

I have no tips except to :gitgud: for our next burn operations, though. That one is evil.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yes, PGS patients are arising there as well.
So, even people recuperating at exclusive facilities are coming down with PGS.
Wait, what is "Elysium?"
A facility that was established as a result of the GUILT terrorism that erupted three years ago. A number of people infected by GUILT are being treated there until they can fully recover.
The unauthorized research of GUILT was forbidden by international law so Elysium was built in order to circumvent that.
Really...?

Before you ask, Elysium is new to this game. Also, Adel's only purpose in this scene is to say those two lines.

But so many PGS cases are arising that even Elysium can't handle all of them. As a result, we've decided to accept one of their more intensive patients.
What is this patient's name?
...This may be painful for you two to hear, but...

...!
A Sinner...!? You mean, one of the children we found on Delphi's base...?
Indeed...

Children were kidnapped from around the world and implanted with mutated forms of GUILT. In accordance with the zealots' beliefs, these test subjects were labeled as "Sinners." After Derek Stiles saved them from their terrible fate through a series of operations, they were taken into custody by the UN Army and began receiving treatment in medical facilities.

This is the plot of the final chapter of UtK, which was cut in SO for a completely new plotline.

The incoming patient is a young Mexican. His name is Emilio Juarez, age 17. The hepatitis he's suffering from is thought to be GUILT related, and it's fulminant.

:eng101: Hepatitis means inflammation in the liver while fulminant means severe and sudden.

...He had to experience such pain at the hands of Delphi... And now he has to suffer PGS...
He can still be treated, though. We need to stay optimistic.
He'll be arriving in the afternoon. ...I'm counting on both of you.

My name is Heather Ross, and I'm Emilio's personal nurse.

Do you happen to speak Spanish?
No, not really...
Then, please allow me to interpret for you.
Oh, thank you. (Wow, she's... pretty.)
"Emilio, this is Dr. Stiles who will be taking care of you. Introduce yourself to him."
...Buenos tardes, Medico...

:eng101: Buenos tardes means good morning while medico means doctor.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Almost, but not quite. First of all, "tardes" is "evening", not "morning". Second, the sentence is gramatically incorrect, "tarde" is a feminine word, it should be "buenas tardes". Furthermore, I'm not sure if this is different in Mexico than in Argentina so you can ignore this part, but we never call doctors "medico" (which in and of itself is gramatically incorrect, it's "médico"), we call them "doctor" (while the spelling is the same as in English, the pronunciation is not, doc-TOR rather than DOC-tor).

If you're going to put a different language in your game, try to write in it properly! This is a really basic sentence too, this isn't exactly difficult Spanish.

Google Translate actually shows "good afternoon", so the "morning" part is my fault :eng99:

...Nice to meet you too, Emilio.
I'm Angie Thompson. A pleasure, Emilio.
...... "...Heather, I've met these people before..."
"Huh... You have?"

...He says that the two of you appear in his dreams.
...!? You mean he remembers what happened three years ago!?
He should have been unconscious...
"But, in my dream, they're very kind... They save me from my suffering..."
"Emilio... Dr. Stiles and Ms. Angie have operated on you in the past."
"So that's why..." Gracias, Medico...

If you look at the epilogue of UtK, this exact phrase appears as one of the 8 letters.

Emilio...
...Emilio was transported to Elysium from Mexico, but PGS suddenly struck his liver... It was concluded that further treatment would be impossible at Elysium. When we consulted Caduceus about this, we were told that you had returned to the country, Doctor.
So that's why...
Doctor, I beg of you! Please...! Please save Emilio!
Of course! We can't let him continue to suffer. We have to cure him. Caduceus will do everything in its power to make sure of it!

It looks like Post-GUILT Syndrome has caused an extreme case of hepatitis. Cellular damage is present in his liver, and the abdominal cavity is hemorrhaging as well. His liver has become almost nonfunctional, and he could start drifting out of consciousness. We must treat him as quickly as possible.

It's never stated directly (the sinners in UtK had no name), but he was infected by Pempti according to the wiki.

It's progressing much faster than we could have anticipated... We should operate immediately.
Agreed. That means there will be two operational objectives:
  • Drain the blood pools from the abdominal cavity.
  • Treat the liver injuries.
We can treat the damaged areas of the liver by packing it with synthetic membranes.

Operation Video

Let's begin the operation. Please open the patient up.

His vitals are dropping and his pulse is very weak! ...A flatline! He's undergone cardiac arrest! Get the defibrillator ready!

I don't know how liver damage can cause cardiac arrest. This drops our vitals into 25 (after resuscitation) from 90.

We have a pulse! Resuscitation was successful! Let's continue, Doctor. First, drain the blood pool inside the abdominal cavity. Next, we'll be applying synthetic membranes to the wounds, and then affixing them with antibiotic gel. Toxicosis, has also set in, so please inject the sedative as well.

Our first order of business is get the vitals up. We'll want to have at least 70 vitals.

After that, we have to put all the membrane and then gel all of them simultaneously. Simultaneously is the keyword here.

It's hard because the blood pools will reform if we're not quick enough, which will make the membranes fall off. Having a membrane fall off won't count as a Miss, at least.

We're done treating all of the affected areas... but his vitals aren't stabilizing. Could there be more injuries...?

Nothing like the game instantly undoing all our hard work right before our eyes... :sigh:

The synthetic membranes...! I-It's hemorrhaging again!
There must be a reason for this! Use the ultrasound to check out the area!

This is why we raised the vitals. Remember that cutting each of them reduces vitals by 7, not counting the damage caused by the wound itself.

Occasionally, the heart is going to beat irregularly. This means that fibrillation may occur. It didn't occur in the video.

Doing anything during fibrillation (except changing tools) will cause a Miss. After a certain time, it'll turn into cardiac arrest.

Realistically, you're supposed to use the defib during fibrillation (hence the name), which may cause a cardiac arrest. UtK did this right, but implied Angie to be an idiot who causes cardiac arrest after every fibrillation :j:

You DEFINITELY want to safe the Healing Touch for the final big wound because the blood pools will reform much faster than before.

Even with it, they still reform too quickly. You'll have to drain two of them at once to be able to make it.

Dedicated people will play this part with two stylus so they can teleport the membranes. We can emulate this trick by using the pause/advance frame option, but I'm not that dedicated :effort:

The membranes have been affixed. It doesn't look like it's going to hemorrhage again. I think we're good to go.

They don't look that secure to me :ohdear:

Operation complete. Great work, Doctor.
Thanks, but... it's painful to operate on him again. I feel like I didn't do enough before.
Yes... But the one who's in most pain is Emilio, Doctor.
Yeah... Let's report back to Ms. Ross. I'm sure she'll be relieved.
...Ms. Ross, huh...
...Something wrong?

I missed the bonus where we can't let 2 or more membranes fall off.

Dr. Stiles! Is Emilio...!?
It's alright. The operation was successful.
Oh, thank heavens...! I'm so glad! Thank you so much, Doctor!
But... we'll still need to monitor his progress for a little while longer.
Is there a problem?
The damage to his liver was severe, so he may end up needing a liver transplant.
...! I thought as much...

Don't worry, Ms. Ross. It isn't something that we'll need to do so immediately.
OK... I'll still consult Elysium about this, though, to get things started.
And I'll do everything I can too...
Thank you... Doctor. Well, I'd like to be by Emilio's side, so if you'll excuse me... *leaves*
...I hope that Emilio gets better.
Me too...
You wouldn't want to make a beautiful woman like her cry, would you, Doctor?
Huh? What do you mean?
I guess it doesn't matter what your reasons are, as long as you do your best as a surgeon! *leaves*
Wha--? ...Angie...? (What's gotten into her...?)

Jealousy, that's what.

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

5-2 Misfortune Strikes

The first part of the operation is exactly the same as before except the smaller wounds are replaced with toxicosis and we need 8 membranes (instead of 6 here). However, the end of that operation is only the halfway for this one.

5-3 Fade to Black

Yes, this operation stitches two NB ones. It even includes the fibrillations and horde of blood pockets. The drain is much faster there, so those operations are much easier (at least with Markus).

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 18, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OP is seriously not kidding about the two stylus thing, some of the later operations borderline require it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1234567890num posted:

...Buenos tardes, Medico...

:eng101: Buenos tardes means good morning while medico means doctor.

Almost, but not quite. First of all, "tardes" is "evening", not "morning". Second, the sentence is gramatically incorrect, "tarde" is a feminine word, it should be "buenas tardes". Furthermore, I'm not sure if this is different in Mexico than in Argentina so you can ignore this part, but we never call doctors "medico" (which in and of itself is gramatically incorrect, it's "médico"), we call them "doctor" (while the spelling is the same as in English, the pronunciation is not, doc-TOR rather than DOC-tor).

If you're going to put a different language in your game, try to write in it properly! This is a really basic sentence too, this isn't exactly difficult Spanish.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Blaze Dragon posted:

Seems like they just use Google Translate for the Spanish (which is also what I did).

I added this part to the update.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It's... not looking good.
...I've seen his charts too. His liver is still functioning, but his AST and ALT are rising...

Opendork posted:

The ancronyms stand for Alanine transaminase and Aspartate transaminase respectively, and are both catalysts for various bodily functions, and are often associated with the liver. The hightened levels can be indicative of other health issues. That's a very short version, but basically, as you can guess from context, he's getting worse.

His liver has taken a lot of damage... It's not healing properly, possibly due to the side effects of GUILT. At his rate, a liver transplant is going to become necessary...

As a reminder, we didn't fully treat the patient in NB due to that whole kidnapping debacle.

I had a feeling that would be the case... But we haven't found a donor yet...
Well... We've made arrangements to do the transplant... But there's nothing we can do unless a donor appears...
What about Emilio's relatives?
He has none... He was an orphan...
I see...
We'll just have to wait, and hope that a donor will surface, Ms. Ross.
...Dr. Stiles. PGS isn't an incurable disease, is it?
...No. Of course not.

(This doesn't look good. His numbers are getting worse...) Emilio, que tal?
Mas o menos...

eng101: Que tal means how are you while mas o menos means more or less (or more fittingly, so-so).

I see...
...Heather?
...Ms. Ross? She's a little busy right now. She's... looking for someone that can give you a liver... Well, that's it for your check-up today. I'll see you later. Uh, what's that phrase again...? ...Oh yeah! Hasta luego!
See you... Medico...
Wow, your English is coming right along.

Doctor! Dr. Stiles!
Angie? Ms. Ross?
Dr. Stiles! We...! We've found a donor!
What? Really!? That's great news!
Well, yes and no. You see, a patient hospitalized at Elysium recently went brain dead. But, he was registered as a donor.
Wait... Then this liver is coming from Elysium?
Yes, and I know what you're thinking: the patient did have a history of GUILT... But both the organ function and the infection exams came back clean.
I see...
Doctor...
Alright, Angie. Please call for Dr. Niguel. I'd like to get his opinion first, before performing the operation. Just in case.
Right away!

Operation Video

As you can guess from the fact that I include the briefing in the video, this operation is special.

That's good news! We should get started as soon as possible.
But... there is one thing that's bugging me. The GUILT that the donor had is not the same type that our patient had...
...Does that put him in any danger?
That's the problem: I'm not sure. There's no data on it.
Dr. Stiles...?
Let's perform the operation. If we try to wait for another donor, Emilio's condition could get even worse.
I'll join you, Derek. I want to see this for myself.
Thanks, Victor. Angie, could you give us the briefing, please?
Yes, Doctor. Due to the extent of the damage to Emilio's liver, we'll need to perform a liver transplant. We have only one objective for this operation:
  • Transplant the liver provided by Elysium.
The donated liver has already been delivered. Dr. Stiles, let's free Emilio from his suffering.
Of course!

Operation Video (This one skips the briefing)

No initial incision this time, just like the operation it plagiarizes.

Let's begin. First, we'll perform anastomosis on each blood vessel. We'll connect the blood vessels in the order of vein, portal vein, artery, and lastly, the bile duct.

:eng 101: Anastomosis is a connection between adjacent channels, in this case blood vessels.

Unlike in NB, we don't have to look for the right blood vessel with the magnifier, so that's nice.

First, we have to inject the gray constrictor to cause vasoconstriction. We can inject it anywhere on the corresponding vessel, not just at the pointed area.

:eng101: Vasoconstriction is the narrowing of the blood vessels. In this case it's done to prevent blood loss

After that, we have to cut it out, drain the blood pool, drag the appropriate vessel from the liver, then suture them together. Vitals will drop while the wound is open, so do them quickly.

:eng101: Portal vein is a blood vessel that carries blood from the gastrointestinal tract, gallbladder, pancreas and spleen into the liver. It's different from normal vein in that it doesn't go through the heart.

Anyway, a full vial of constrictor is barely enough for this one.

The artery and the bile duct require at least two shots of constrictor. All the blood vessels will slowly contract, so you might need more shots if you're too slow.

Also, after cutting the vessel and draining the blood pool, don't take too long to do the rest. Otherwise, the blood pool will return and our vital will take a dip.

You might notice that our max vitals raised by 10 after every anastomosis. In NB, we have a risk/reward situation with the choice of either anastomosis or dealing with Stigma.

In this case, everything is going just fine, so it doesn't really matter.

That concludes the liver transplant! Well done, Doctor! Let's give it a minute, just in case, and then we'll close him up.

Yep. Everything is perfectly fine...

OK, everything seems to be functioning properly. Let's close him--

*Convulsion occurs*

Wh-What the!? There's some kind of abnormality in the liver... His vitals are dropping!

At this point our vitals are reduced to 50 if it was higher.

What's going on!?
Huh? Th-This can't be...
There's a chiral reaction, Doctor!
What!?

World posted:

Medical Bullshit: In real life, the "chirality" of a substance normally refers to the chemical or biological asymmetry an object. This is called an enantiomer in organic chemistry. Basically that means that the substances are the same chemical makeup but structurally are mirror images of eachother, much like a pair of left and right hands. In chemistry, changing enantiomers can change the way a substance behaves. For example, the rectus thalidomide enantiomer actually did work as a medication that reduced morning sickness - the problem was that once it was inside the body, it sometimes switched to its sinister conformation, which is toxic and caused severe birth defects. In biology, it can be seen in the handedness of shells.

In other words, it's a telltale sign that a GUILT is present. They chose the word 'chirality' because it sounds cool.

You know, like the word GUILT itself. For those who don't know, it's an acronym for Gangliated Utrophin Immuno-Latency Toxin.

TL;DR: we're dealing with GUILT now.

GUILT strain 1: Nous (Mind)
As always, the supervirus are named after Greek language. It attacks with tumors. You'd think that this strain acts like Deftera or Soma, but it's actually closer to Tetarti for reasons that will be apparent shortly. And yeah, I'm spoiling the name because I'm not waiting for it to be revealed in 4 more chapters.

What are these tumors...? Doctor, the convulsions have stopped, but I've never seen tumors like this and there's a strong chiral reaction coming from that odd tumor that formed last!
Then it can only be one thing... GUILT!
We've got to figure out how to treat it first.
Yes, but before we do anything too drastic... I think we should try to treat that spore-like tumor with a standard procedure first.
I agree. It's always best to start with the basic.
Then, let's try draining the cytoplasm of the spore tumor. I hope this works!

Like Angie and Victor said, we have to treat the tumor as usual. They don't leave a wound, so we don't need any membrane.

Of course there's more to this, but the game won't tell you initially.

After that, Nous is available. There is a reason why we want to leave this one for last.

It got away, but the chiral reaction is decreasing.
That means what we're doing is--
Yeah, we've got our treatment plan!
Doctor, I'm sure that spore tumor is going to come back. Please be careful!

This is going smoothly because I know what I'm doing. Imagine another universe where this is our blind playthrough.

How a blind playthrough usually goes posted:

We just go about our way treating these tumors (leaving the main one for last) when suddenly one bursts, decreasing vitals 30.

Thankfully, the vital hit decreases for every subsequent tumor that burst in a wave, so we can survive even if all 3 tumors burst if we're at full health.

It got away, but the chiral reaction dived.
Then that means this treatment plan is--
yeah, it's working!
But why did those small tumors burst...?
No clue... Not yet anyway. But let's keep an eye on them! Don't worry, I'll figure this bastard out! Just continue the procedure!
Understood... I'm sure those spore-like tumors will show up again. Dr. Stiles! Let's put our faith in Dr. Niguel and continue the treatment!

So we continue treating these tumors. But eventually, another one bursts! :derp:

Chiral reaction has decreased even further!
But the tumors burst again... If this continues, Emilio won't--
That's it! I've got it!
Dr. Niguel!?
Listen carefully, Dr. Stiles! The tumors are bursting in the order that they form! If you treat one in the wrong order, the tumors that appeared before it will burst! Remember the order that the tumors appear in, and then treat them in exactly that order!

It's a bit more complicated than that. Draining a tumor will cause all previous undrained tumor to burst. We can remove the tumors in any order, however. Of course, draining the Nous will cause all tumors present to burst.

Eventually, the game will increase the number of tumors. Cytoplasm won't reform here, but we're on a timer nonetheless.

If we take too long to remove them all posted:

I can't detect the spore tumor anywhere!
Did those tumors burst because the spore tumors went dark!? Derek, it's dangerous to let the spore tumor escape! Next time it shows its ugly face, treat it!

As you can see from the picture, letting Nous escape will cause ALL present tumors to burst, along with counting as a Miss. Needless to say that you don't want this to happen.

The last wave will have 5 tumors to remove. If it's too hard and you've used up your Healing Touch, you can think about letting a tumor burst. Sure it'll hit the vitals and reset the combo, but it won't count as a Miss.

I used the Healing Touch at the beginning of the operation to meet the Time Requirement (and I don't want to waste it waiting for the tumors to appear one by one).

Chiral reaction is disappearing! That should have been--

*Convulsion appears again*

Another convulsion!? But, why...!?

The convulsions stopped... and chiral reaction is negative as well!
...That must have been its last stand.
I can't believe it was able to do that to him, even as it was dying...
Yes, that thing was relentless... But, what was it...?
I'm going to figure that out as soon as we're done here. That little bastard's going down!
We'll be counting on you, Dr. Niguel. Now, Dr. Stiles, please close up our patient.

So we do just that.

Operation complete. Well done, Doctor!
I'm gonna go get started on my analysis. The rest is up to you guys.
Thank you for all your help.
That was a fine operation, Dr. Stiles. ...Well, see ya later.
Doctor, now Emilio can fully recover!

:smug:

Doctor Stiles... thank you.
You're welcome...
Good luck with your rehab, Emilio!
Goodbye... Angie. Adios!
Adios!
Dr. Stiles, Ms. Thompson... Thank you for everything you've done. Please stop by Elysium if you ever get the chance.
Definitely! I'd be a pleasure to visit Emilio! Adios, Emilio!
Adios, Doctor!
Well then, please excuse us.

*Emilio and Heather leave*

*sigh* They're really gone...
I'm glad to see patients leave the hospital, but it can be a little sad too.
Yeah... I agree. I know that I should be happy, but...
...But, Doctor... That GUILT... What was it...? Was it from the donor... or from Emilio?
I don't know... Dr. Niguel is investigating it right now... But if it turns out to be a new type of GUILT... ......

Yes, it's a new type of GUILT. The transplanting part isn't, though.

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

NB also has a transplant operation where the supervirus (Stigma in this case) will appear. Except that in that game, like I said before, we need to decide between the Stigma or the blood vessels. Also it has two patient, with the second having two Stigmas at the same time.

Thankfully, as evil as this game is (and will be), it isn't evil enough to throw that kind of situation with a brand new GUILT for the second chapter.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This part is so loving stupid. You got a liver from the goddamn center where people take people with GUILT and are gonna shove it into this poor kid. Like what the gently caress were you thinking would happen??

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

A boss fight, obviously, which they know Dr. Stiles is very experienced in treating. It was going to be fine.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
“We got a liver, but the guy we harvested it from had GUILT.”
“Lets shove it in there and see what happens, no way anything can go wrong!”
*operation happens and Liver is shoved in there*
“OH NO DEREK, GUILT!”
“MAN YOUR STATIONS, WE HAVE A BOSS BATTLE ON OUR HANDS!”

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

This part is so loving stupid. You got a liver from the goddamn center where people take people with GUILT and are gonna shove it into this poor kid. Like what the gently caress were you thinking would happen??

Well, not a completely new GUILT strain, that's for sure.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

to be fair, livers are really important & the kid was going to die pretty soon without a fresh one

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's called a liver because you need it to live.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

That's not a comforting chapter title :ohdear:

You wanted to see me, Chief?
Yes, I'd like to introduce you to someone. This is President Mayuzumi of Acropolis Pharmaceutical.

I've heard you're quite the renowned doctor.

I'm Derek. Nice to meet you too.
I didn't expect that the world-famous super doctor would be so young and charming...
Hahaha... You think? You look pretty young yourself, Ms. Mayuzumi.
Thank you, but I'll bet I'm older than you.
R-Really? You don't look a day over twenty...
*blush* Why, thank you. It's always nice to hear that you look younger than you really are.
Sorry, I didn't mean to embarrass you...

At least he didn't asked her outright how old she is.

Dr. Stiles, Acropolis and Caduceus have signed a business agreement. From this point on, we'll be partnering to develop new medicines.
I see...
What we're anticipating most form our cooperative research is medication to treat PGS. But, that's not all we'll be depending on Acropolis for. They'll also be mass producing the medicine.
I believe we've created a wonderful strategic alliance here. And I'm looking forward to your contributions as well, Dr. Stiles.
I'll do my best.

Huh...? Me?
I know Victor is probably better suited to a task like this but, unfortunately, he's tied up with the research on PGS.

I think you know what this means.

I understand. So, what kind of medicine are we talking about here?
It's a vaccine for a new type of canine influenza that caused an outbreak in Asia last year. We'll be creating the antivirus by rewriting the DNA of the existing virus. When the antivirus and the influenza begin to exchange their genes both of them will be wiped out.
Sounds simple enough. I'd be happy to help.
I'm glad to hear that, Dr. Stiles. Shall we get going then?
Y-Yes, ma'am.
Director Hoffman, Chief Kasal, please excuse us.

*Reina and Derek leave*

...Are you sure about this, Director? Shouldn't Derek's first priority be treating PGS...?
This decision was made by the board before it even reached me, so I can't very well object... Nor can I ignore the generous research grant Acropolis has offered us...

Dr. Hoffman and Dr. Kasal... Both of them are topnotch. And of course, you're certainly included as well, Dr. Stiles.
I'm just lucky to have had some great teachers, really.
Oh, don't be so modest. You acquired the Healing Touch because you had the potential to begin with, right?
Th-That may be, but...
You're very humble, but that's not the way to get ahead in life, Derek. Can I call you Derek? Those with great talent achieve their successes by accepting the praise they deserve. You're a successful man--you just need to start thinking and acting like one.

American Japanese humility means that Derek's attitude is expected there. Also, Angie won't be too happy with Derek receiving that many praise.

You mean like, acting more confident?
Yes, I've always done just that. It's what got me where I am today. It's also just a good state of mind to have. If you believe you'll produce results, then you will. So... How about it, Derek? Would you be interested in coming to Acropolis?
...What do you mean...?
I'm asking if you'd like to work exclusively for my company. If you're interested, I could pull some strings, and maybe even get you into a director's seat. ...What do you think?
Um... Is this a serious offer?
I'm very serious, Derek. I want you...
U-Um... You're getting a little too close, Ms. Mayuzumi...
Trust me, you won't regret it...
Um, listen, this is uh, all very sudden.

Angie!?
The preparations for the experimental treatment are ready. Please head to the O.R.
Alright. Well, let's get going, Ms. Mayuzumi.
Let's. We'll talk more about this later.
O-OK...

"Operation" Video

It's time for a puzzle "operation". It's been a series tradition. UtK/SO has the hexagon blocks, NB has the non-crossing lines, and TT has a labyrinth.

We'll need this data to help us succeed in recombining the virus's DNA.
(Oh no, not another one of these... I'm not good at solving puzzles.)
Try to connect all the amino acids together. If you can do that, then we should be able to produce the antibody. Good luck, Dr. Stiles.

What I'd like to have you do is a simulation of the amino acid formation. The disk represents an amino acid. The small, colored circles are a simplified form of a basic amino acid structure. When you complete it, it will form the amino acid arrangement of the antibodies in the paratope area. Place the amino acids from the data base into the open carbon atom slots. After that, rotate them so you can connect the same colored circles next to them. Connect all the circles next to the amino acids and you're done. When carrying the amino acids, make sure to grasp its center with the forceps. But the ones that are already set in place cannot be moved, so keep that in mind. You can rotate the amino acids by grasping the small circles with the forceps as well. It would be ideal if you could connect them as quickly as possible... I'm sorry, I shouldn't even have to say that to a doctor of your caliber... Please forgive me.
...Doctor, please treat this like any other operation, and work as quickly as possible!

Basically, we need to rotate all these amino acids such that the adjacent circles are the same colors. Existing ones can't be moved. Can you figure it out?

If we take too long to complete this puzzle, people will start dunking on Derek.

(What's taking him so long...? Maybe his superior abilities were just a rumor...)
What's the holdup, Derek? Want me to do it for you? Haha!
Don't worry, Dr. Stiles! I know it's taking more time than you expected, but keep at it.
(He's really struggling... Don't tell me he can't complete something as simple as this...)

Eventually, if we took more than 3.5 minutes to solve this, the game will give us a hint.

On every disk, each of the small circles has a different color... That means... If I can rotate the immobile disks so no same-colored circles point to an open slot...!

This puzzle is simple enough. We only have two choices for the adjacent circles on the leftmost disks: blue and red. Connecting the reds and then trying to solve the lower one will quickly prove to be impossible, so blue it is.

We're faced with a similar choice on the middle circles. Connecting the blues will and then trying to solve the upper left disk will also prove to be impossible, so red it is. The rest should be trivial.

...That concludes the first experiment.
(I'm really not very good at this kind of stuff...)
Dr. Stiles, are you OK? You don't look well...
Ready for the next one, Doctor?

The bad news is that this puzzle is more daunting. The good news is that there's more dunking to be had.

You haven't gotten very far... Are you feeling ill, Dr. Stiles?
Doctor, please calm down. You still have time!
What's taking so long, Derek? Your reputation as a master surgeon is at stake!
(This isn't going according to plan... If he's this useless...)

And the hint:

Hey, wait a minute... There are only two types of disks in the data base! So if I figure out which color to match on the immobile disks in the middle, the rest will be easy!

Connecting the reds and then trying to solve the lower right or upper left will quickly prove to be impossible, so blue it is!

I think this one is actually easier, personally.

Wow! Amazing, Doctor!
(Not bad at all. The rumors said he was skilled, but, this...)

Ominous :thunkher:

But forget that! We have some alternate dialogue!

If you mess up too much posted:

That completes. the experiment, Doctor. Well done.
(Derek Stiles... you would be a fool not to accept my offer...)
(But... I am going to obtain that power, regardless... Just you wait..)

Like all other puzzles operations (except maybe TT), we can easily get max rank by memorizing the solution.

It looks like the vaccine research will go quite smoothly, thanks to you. And about our talk earlier... Give it some thought.
A-Alright... I will...
In fact, we can discuss it over inner some time. How does that sound? Are you busy?
N-Not really. The PGS research seems to be going well... Er... but... Oh! I've... uh, got other things I need to attend to, and--
Well, I'd be happy to work my schedule around yours. We should definitely get together. Anyway, I'll be in touch. See you soon. *leave*
Ha... Hahaha, what am I gonna do?
Dr. Stiles... That woman... I can tell you for sure, she's a lot older than she looks.
Wow, you can tell? That's amazing, Angie.
Of course I can tell! I'm a girl too, you know!
What's the matter, Angie? You sound angry...
You're just... so indecisive!

A-Angie!? E-Eavesdropping is a bad habit of yours...
The research on PGS has only just begun! And you're thinking about leaving Caduceus, now of all times!?
No, of course not... It's just that... nobody has ever made that kind of offer to me before, so--
And what's more, you're all infatuated with someone like... HER!
...Angie... You're not... jealous, are you?
Good heavens, NO! Geez! *storms off*
Hey-- Man, she's really angry...

gently caress you too, Angie :argh:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really don't get where Angie gets this from. I mean okay yeah she's obviously Up To Something™ but there is no way Angie would know that.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man I just love anime shipping drama in my doctor game about poking weird supa science bugs.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I think the thing Angie is mad about is that Derek is even considering leaving at all. It doesn't have anything to do with the evil plan Mayuzumi may or may not have.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

1234567890num posted:

It doesn't have anything to do with the evil plan Mayuzumi may or may not have.

What evil plan? She couldn’t look more benevolent if she tried!

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
Ah, here comes my least favorite part of the game.

Not dunking on Derek, that part is golden.

Angie in the coming chapters - more specifically, the way she's used as a character - is just gonna get more annoying.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

What's the word for that scarf thing that Mayuzumi has? You know, those things that usually only deities have.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I don't think it has any particular name. It's just a floating scarf.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Director: "I want something to put over by that wall. Isn't there a plant we can use or something?"

Intern: "I'll ask the hospital staff!"

Producer: "Hurry up, you guys! I've got the reporter coming in soon."

Wh-What's all this about?
A TV station is here to do a report.
Really!? Television!?
I heard they're going to do a live recording of Derek while he's operating.
It looks like Dr. Stiles gained quite a reputation after he operated on Secretary Pierce.
"Derek Stiles: Miracle Surgeon! Who will he save next!?" It'll probably go something like that.

The Miracle Surgeon thing is a reference to the TV show in NB.

I knew that Dr. Stiles was a talented doctor, but... wow!
Caduceus is known to the public as an organization that researches intractable diseases. Pretty dull. We don't have a reason to reject good press. But man, it's a little fishy that they're the ones supplying the patient for this. Doesn't that make the whole thing sound staged? What do you think, Leslie?
I just wonder who the reporter is going to be... Think it'll be a network correspondent? Oooh, I'm looking forward to this!
Wow, you're pretty into this...

If NB is anything to go by, it doesn't look like Caduceus and TV shows mix well.

Tch, I'm running out of time...
Dr. Stiles...
Oh, morning, Angie!
What're you still doing in front of the mirror?
I overslept, so my hair's really a mess... What do you think? Does it look OK?

It really doesn't look different from usual.

...It looks fine to me.
Really? Doesn't it make you at all nervous that we're going to be on national television?
...As long as a doctor looks clean and reliable, that's all they need to see.
Haha... you're calm, as usual.
Doctor... Just be yourself. And don't be so nervous. You know I trust you in the operating room. But, you're still human. If you get too distracted, it could be disastrous.
Yeah, tell me about it. But I'll be OK. I'll never let anything affect me while I'm operating.
...Please make sure you don't.

It's alright, Angie. I won't even notice them once we start operating.
...Understood. Well then, I guess I'll start with the briefing. We will be extracting benign tumors from the patient's small intestine. There are two objectives in this operation:
  • Excise and extract the tumors in the small intestine.
  • Treat the inflammations.
That's all.

Operation Video

Let's begin the operation. We'll--

Director: "Alright, cam one! Make sure you've got the nurse in the shot! We're going live in 5, 4, 3... !"

Reporter: "Good evening. Today, we are going to catch a rare glimpse into the modern medicine, as we..."

...Let's do our best, Doctor... (This is so distracting... !)

Like I said earlier, Caduceus and TV don't mix well. But because they can't be bothered to add the chattering sound effect, we don't actually get any gameplay reprecussions for the annoyance.

There's a bunch of inflammations but no pus. So the ones we see (and a bunch more offscreen) are all we're going to get.

So let's treat...

*The screen flashes*

Huh!? What was that... !?

Cameraman: "Dr. Stiles, can I get a shot of you looking directly into the camera!?"

Are you nuts!? We're in the middle of an operation here!

Cameraman: "Listen, we've got clearance to do this. ...And hold that expression! ...Perfect!"

Wh-What kind of network is this!?
Angie, ignore them! We have to concentrate on the patient!
Y-Yes... I understand. They may get in our way, so please be more careful than usual, Doctor!

Remember what I said about no gameplay reprecussions? Apparently that's not true anymore. The screen will occasionally flash white during the operation. It's honestly not that bad.

Amazingly, this gimmick isn't lifted from NB. It has reality TV operations, but none of them has flash photography. One of them has the drain breaking midway instead.

There's 5 tumors in total and they will create smaller ones upon removal. There's a bonus for keeping the vital above 45, so keep in mind when burning them.

Other than that, there's nothing interesting about this operation. So let's just skip to the end.

Operation complete.
But seriously, what were they thinking, interrupting us in the middle of an operation!?
Come on, Angie, no need to get mad...
You mean it doesn't bother you that they did that!?
Well, it was annoying... But getting angry now won't solve anything.
Oh, geez! Sometimes you can be a little too soft-hearted!
...I'll take that as a compliment. *smile*

Unless mentioned otherwise, me using Healing Touch will be mainly to save time.

Hey! The hero of Caduceus is back!
Oh come on, stop.
So, Dr. Stiles, how did it go?
...I got really nervous. Just having a camera on me is enough to give me stage fright. I don't even remember what I talked about.
Dr. Stiles! Congratulations! You've made your debut into the big time!
Huh? Hey, who's been teaching Adel phrases like that?
Well, Dr. Stiles, you've certainly made headlines... I hope Caduceus becomes as popular as you.

I don't think that will happen if you keep being forgettable.

Yeah, that would be great, wouldn't it? I've also been asked to be interviewed by some magazines.
My schedule next week is totally booked. They're gonna be keeping me pretty busy...

Did they get you on film during the operation too, Angie?
Hm...? I-I don't know...
Oooh, you're so lucky! I wish I could be on TV...
...?
I'm going to start my rounds. *leaves*
Hm, she doesn't seem as energetic as usual. Did something happen, Dr. Stiles?
H-How should I know...?
Maybe she's still got butterflies from the shoot.

I'm on Angie's side this time. Interviews can really take a toll if you're not used to them. Not to mention the whole disruption during the operation.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot imagine having people use flash photography to such a degree can be sterile.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
You would think there would be some MAJOR repercussions to flash photography and interrupting doctors during operations, pretty sure that kind of thing doesn’t happen on TV, but not sure about that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I wonder how many releases the patient had to sign.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Yeah, but it's not gonna work on just anyone, because of how it's designed. The one you've got there is made specifically for that Mexican kid from Elysium. It's custom tailored to his DNA.
That's great! That means Emilio can look forward to a full recovery!
Hey, don't start celebrating yet! There could still be side effects! And make sure you pay close attention to his liver when you administer it.
I hope this means we'll have medicine ready for Linda and the other patients soon, too.
Thank you for your hard work, Victor. Although, it's problematic that each patient's medication must be custom made.
It looks like we made the right choice, partnering with Acropolis Pharmaceutical. They should be able to help us.
Actually, the variables are so limited, I'd say we don't even need them, but-- Whatever, let's just let them handle it. We've still got that other problem to deal with.
...What problem?

:cripes:

Oh for crying out loud... You forgot already!? Remember that new strain of GUILT that kid had!? Is that ringing any bells...?
There isn't much to go on yet, but hey, now that I'm on it, it's as good as solved!

Hm? Oh, hello, Ms. Mayuzumi.
I saw you on TV the other day.
You did!? Well... I watched it myself. I'm so embarrassed...

I thought that was a live interview?

Nonsense. You looked great on screen.
R-Really...?
...So, what brings you by today?
I came to request an operation.
...What?
However, it's already been agreed upon, so I'm sure Director Hoffman will explain it to you later.
Wait... What are you saying?
I had this little idea while I was watching your operation on TV... I'd like to have you hooked up to a device that will monitor you during your next procedure.
...So you'd be recording my every move!? But, why!?
To research your techinques, of course. Really, superior skills like yours should be exhibited more openly. Think of the good it would do for all the young doctors, freshly entering the field.
...I guess that makes sense... As long as that's the case, I don't mind.
Thank you, Derek.
So, what condition will I be treating?

:eng101: Aneurysm is the bulging of a blood vessel wall caused by it weakening. The weakening can be caused by disease or genetic.

It's also the hardest regular operation in the series... :negative:

It certainly won't be as easy as the operation you did on TV...
The difficulty of the procedure doesn't matter. I always operate with everything I can give.
Excellent people have the right to be paid what they're worth. I've always believed that. I mentioned a director's chair, but I may even be able to make you Head Director... How about it?
I... still need some time to think about this...
I'll be looking forward to good news after the operation, then. See you later.

I'm totally against having you monitored during an operation! You'd be performing the procedure wired up to cameras and sensors-- How could you even work!? It'll just put excessive strain on you and raise the risk level of the entire operation!
Angie, there's nothing I can do. I've already agreed to it.
What...!? Doctor! Why do you always make these rash decisions!? You need to be more aware of the fact that first and foremost, you're a doctor!
I AM aware of that! But... If what I do here can help other doctors... How can I say no!?
...... I'm sorry. I didn't mean to yell. I understand that you're worried, but... I'll be OK. I can complete the operation, even with their devices on me.

Acropolis Pharmaceutical referred the patient here and according to the examination results, he is in critical condition.
How bad is it, Angie?
Well, there are numerous aneurysms inside his large intestine and they're so swollen that they could rupture at any time. If we don't hurry and treat them, he could--
Sounds pretty urgent. We should begin immediately.
Yes, Doctor. The objective of this operation is:
  • Excise the aneurysms and suture the blood vessels, or, replace them with synthetic blood vessels.
That should do it, but... Not only do we have to excise the aneurysms and suture the blood vessels we'll also need to use synthetic blood vessels for the larger ones. It's a lot to do all at once.

Operation Video

Let's begin. Doctor... are you sure you'll be alright with all those monitoring devices you're wearing? They may be a burden...
I'll be fine, Angie. Let's get started.
...Understood.

Aneurysms have been confirmed. We were told they had become enlarged, but we'll still be able to treat them with normal methods. Please allow me to confirm the operational procedure. First, we'll inject the brown sedative into the aneurysm to constrict it. Next, we'll excise the aneurysm and extract it. ...Do I have it right, Doctor? Then, let's begin the treatment.

The main thing about aneurysms is that they'll grow bigger over time. If the size is too big, it'll burst, resetting our combo, taking away one bonus (there's ALWAYS one for no aneurysm bursting), and dropping our vitals heavily.

Injecting them will reduce the size, which will give us some time before it bursts. Once it's small enough, we can cut them. But if we take too long, it will grow back and we'll get our rank reduced for that particular aneurysm.

After that, we'll have to remove the bloated vessel, drain the blood pool, drag the vessels together, and suture them. Because we cut the aneurysms, they won't grow/burst anymore.

For some reason, having the bloated vessel around will drain the vitals much more than having it removed even with all the blood pools leaking out :shrug:

Of course, the game won't let us go with just one small aneurysm.

Wh-What is this!? Look at the size of that aneurysm...
But the treatment for it should be the same as a normal aneurysm until we extract it. After that, we'll be placing a synthetic blood vessel to connect the loose ends. Inject the sedative and excise it first.

Well, that's not exactly correct. You see, the large aneurysms takes more time to burst, but that also means that they require more injections.

NB we have to rotate the synthetic vessel according to the blood vessels. Due to the lack of Motion Controls™ in this game, we don't have to do that :toot:

Sometimes the suturing for these can be kinda finicky. But at least it's impossible to get a Miss when suturing except when closing the patient up.

M-More aneurysms!?
They may have formed in other areas as well... Please check with the magnification tool!

The main difficulty of aneurysm operations is that they come in waves. This one has two small and one big aneurysms. Inject and cut the small ones before dealing with the big one; don't try to fully treat everything before moving on.

There's still more left...!? Doctor, multiple aneurysms have formed, yet again! All of them are on the verge of bursting. Please treat them quickly!

This wave has two each of big and small ones. It's a good time to use the Healing Touch...

...or it would be if we can actually use it :sigh:

So yeah, we have to juggle all these aneurysms (or just let one burst). Make sure to cut the smaller ones first as they will burst quicker.

After this wave, we're done. Or at least that's what I'd like to say... :ohdear:

What!? Doctor, m-more aneurysms have formed...!
Ngh... I can't believe this! but I'm not giving up!

...I will save this patient, no matter what!

This wave has three small and two big. But with the Healing Touch, there's no danger of bursting :dance:

This Healing Touch will last until we suture the last of those five :woop:

All the aneurysms have been treated. There... are no signs of any more forming.
Vitals have stabilized as well. He's going to be alright!

So we close the patient up.

Operation complete. You did a great job, Doctor.
(So, that was the Healing Touch! It's amazing that anyone could wield such power...)
Doctor, have the monitoring devices made you tired? I think you should get some rest right away...

The bonus I'm missing is the one for completing the operation within 2 minutes, which is kinda bullshit if you ask me.

You must be out of your mind, Dr. Stiles!
...I'm sorry. I've given it a lot of thought, and this is the conclusion I've reached. I'd rather be seeing my patients, face to face than doing deskwork in some cushy office.
I'm very grateful that you think so highly of me, Ms. Mayuzumi. But this is how I feel. To treat people suffering from serious illnesses at Caduceus, and make them smile again... That's my personal idea of success.
*sigh* Oh, well... What a shame. But I guess this time, I'll give up.
I'm very sorry.
Well, our organizations will still be cooperating, right Doctor? I see no reason why the two of us can't continue to assist one another.
Of course! If I can be of any help whatsoever, please don't hesitate to ask. And again... thank you very much for your offer.
I look forward to continuing to work with you.
Yes... Well then, if you'll excuse me...
Sure. I'll see you around, Doctor.

*Derek leaves*

(Fool of a man! Well, it doesn't matter anyway. This wasn't exactly the plan, but I've already got the data I need on his Healing Touch. You're completely worthless to us now, Dr. Stiles...)

I'm sure everything is fine. Definitely no evil plan here or whatever.

By the way, I'm not counting aneurysm operations as plagiarism the same way I'm not counting tumor operations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think it was this operation that made me flip from normal to easy. Cause gently caress off with this, game.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Medico!? ...Dr. Stiles! Angie!
Emilio! How have you been? You look much better.
Dr. Stiles, Ms. Thompson. Thank you for taking the time to come.
It's no problem. We wanted to help set up a treatment plan for Emilio.
We've also brought him some medication for his PGS.
Ah, so it's finally ready! The medicine that will save Emilio...
I'm sure he'd recover without it, but this new medicine should truly cure him. You must be glad, Emilio! You'll finally be able to go back to Mexico!
Thank you...
...Ms. Ross, what's the matter?
Even if Emilio returns to his country... he has no family there.

Not to rain on your parade, but considering that this game is meant to be taking place in 2021... Good luck with that :911:

On another note, I just realized that UtK/SO don't take place in ~the future~ anymore. Man that makes me feel old :corsair:

I see...
Heather is very... nice. I want... stay. Heather like... a sister.
*smile* Emilio...
(I'm glad they can both smile like that now...)
We should wait until he recovers his strength a little more before beginning this treatment. There is still the possibility of side effects, so we need to take all possible precautions. Not to be rude, but the medicine must be administered in a very specific way, so please follow--

If the instructions are there, then I would be happy to take it from here.
Huh? Really?

Did any of you pay attention to her character blurb?

Wow, that's amazing, considering how young you are!
(Hey, I got my license at that age too, you know...)
Oh, not really... It's nothing compared to what Ms. Thompson has done.
Y-You think so...?
Of course! It's one of my dreams to become an assistant to an excellent doctor like Dr. Stiles.
I'm sure it'll happen someday, Ms. Ross.
Thank you very much. Oh... By the way, Doctor. Most people just call me by my first name, so... If you don't mind, you can call me "Heather."
Oh... OK.

Huh? What's going on?

Sorry, I didn't know... Which way is the ward?
It's right over there. Where'd you come from anyway?
I just got lost... Sorry. Over there you said, right?
Doctor, didn't we pass by that man while we were IN the ward earlier?
Hm... I'm not sure... Did we?
Oh... There's something I wanted to ask you about...!
What is it, Ms.-- Er, Heather?
It's just... the GUILT that appeared in Emilio... It's been worrying me... I mean, I know you treated it, Dr. Stiles, but...
...Heather?
You're right... Why he had a relapse is still a mystery to us. But the research division at Caduceus is continuing to investigate the cause. He doesn't have any chiral reactions, though, so there's no need to worry.
I see...

...Huh?
They've involved Professor Blackwell, Angie?
He knows more about GUILT than anyone, so...
I've heard about Professor Blackwell before... That he was threatened by Delphi and forced to research GUILT...
No matter what the circumstances, the sins he committed can not be erased. But, he believes he can atone for those sins through his work, and that's what keeps him going.

He's the head researcher for GUILT. He's coerced to do them by the evil organization (Delphi) and eventually got infected with GUILT himself (Savato).

It isn't easy to keep living when you have to face such a painful past every day. In that respect, I think you have a wonderful father. I'm a little jealous.
Huh...?
Anyway, I'm sure that Emilio will get better in no time, with all the support he's getting.
Exactly! Let's keep our thoughts positive!

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 27, 2019

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Nothing out of the ordinary here. Just a weird old man with red eyes. I'm sure he's completely harmless.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Aren't black and ochre the colors that Delphi wore on their uniforms in the original Trauma Center?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

1234567890num posted:

I'm sure everything is fine. Definitely no evil plan here or whatever.

By the way, I'm not counting aneurysm operations as plagiarism the same way I'm not counting tumor operations.

I'm completely unsurprised Angie figured out something was up from overhearing a conversation and Derek is clueless, based on what I've seen so far of both of them.

although I was expecting a lot more waffling over taking the job? so I guess Derek surprised me after all.