Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He's just here to tell Derek not to kindle the bonfire in the Kiln of the First Flame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Nothing to see here, just a unique portrait NPC walking around, that doesn’t mean anything at all!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Heeeey! Long time no see, Cybil! And Dr. Kasal! You're here too! What brings you to our neck of the woods?
It's been a long time, Leslie. Looks like everyone's still here, too...
Hey, Cybill? Is that--!? Is that your baby!?
Actually... yes.
Whaaaaaaaat!? When did THAT happen!?
Congratulations, Dr. Myers.
Doctor! Ahem!
Huh? ...Oh, that's right! You're Dr. Kasal now...
Don't worry about it. You can still call me Dr. Myers if that's what you're used to.

What the game doesn't mention is that she used to work as a bomb defuser before her time at Caduceus. She used that experience to guide Derek in DEFUSING A LITERAL BOMB.

Cybil is awesome :black101:

So what do you think? Isn't she an angel?

Both Cybil and Greg were infected with GUILT and operated on by Derek (with Paraskevi and Tetarti respectively) in UtK/SO.

Yes! She's adorable. What's her name?
Her name is "Kari."

Her name sounds very similar to "Kafi", but it's probably just a coinsidence.

*squeal* She's such a little cutie! Would it be alright if I hold her for a minute?
Go right ahead.
Awww, she's so tiny!
Angie, I get to hold her next!
If she grows up to look like Dr. Myers, then she'll be very beautiful.
And if she looks like me, Derek? What then, huh?
Huh!? Um, well... Then, she'll be quite handsome... Um, I mean--

Very smooth :rolleyes:

You've got that-- Huh?
Oh, Director Hoffman! Wh-When did you...?
I was just passing by when I heard all the commotion in here.
Oh... Sorry for dropping in so suddenly... Cybil and I just happened to have the same day off, so I wanted to surprise everyone...
Well, it's always good to see you two. Considering our occupations, I understand how hard it can be to make personal appointments. Anyway, let's have a look at her. Ah, she's darling.

...L-Leslie...
Well, you certainly did come through with the surprise. We had no idea you were having a baby.

Oh, you're here too?

You can say that again. You didn't have to keep it all under wraps.
I'm sorry, it's not like we were trying to be secretive about it... We've just been so busy that we didn't have time to tell anyone... Right?
Y-Yes, exactly...

"There's been a bad accident on the 505 Freeway! There was a collision between a bus and at least a dozen cars! Reports say many are injured! The nearby emergency rooms can't handle all the patients, so they're requesting our support! Several patients needing immediate attention will be here any minute!"

What!? Alright, let's hurry! We need to prep the O.R.'s!
Yes, sir!
This is gonna get hectic...! Let's get going, Leslie!
Right away!

*The four of them leave. Because apparently the game also forgets about Clarks*

I'm sorry something like this had to happen during your visit.
Oh no, this kind of thing happens every day for people like us... We completely understand. But, Director Hoffman, would it be easier on everyone if you had extra help?
You've got two doctors here with nothing to do, you know?
Hm, I still hesitate to ask... But if you're willing, we could certainly use your help.
We'd be happy to! Let's go to the E.R., Cybil!
Right away! Oh, would it be alright, then, if we leave Kari with you, sir!
O-Of course...
Thank you! Well, let's go!

*They both leave*

Kari: "Wa... Wah...!"

Oh... There there now, don't cry.

Kari: "Wa... Waaaaaaahhh!!"

:ohdear:

The patient wasn't wearing her seatbelt; her entire upper torso was thrown through the windshield. Her chest took the majority of the damage, and she has lacerations on her right lung. Glass shards have pierced her lung; she's in critical condition. There are two objectives in this operation:
  • Treat the lacerations on the right lung.
  • Extract the glass shards.
...We'll have to operate quickly. Thank you very much for helping us with the anesthesia, Dr. Kasal.
My pleasure. It's been awhile since I worked with the two of you. I'm ready to go!
Great, we're counting on you!
Derek, we've got more patients coming. Operate quickly, but don't sacrifice precision.
Understood!

Despite what Greg said, this isn't going to be a marathon operation.

Operation Video

Well then, let's begin. This patient is lucky enough to be alive with all these external wounds. They should be our first priority.

Treating all of these is simple enough. The vitals will drop pretty quickly, so try using the gel on the lacerations to halt that for a bit.

The external wounds are treated... But her vitals aren't stable yet. It could be due to internal hemorrhaging. Let's open her up and continue the treatment.

She's in critical condition... There is hemorrhaging in areas that don't have wounds. More wounds may form if we don't treat them quickly. Let's treat the hemorrhaging areas beside the external wounds with the antibiotic gel.

And now we're introduced to another type of wound: blood clouds. A simple antibiotic gel should heal them. But if we take too long, they'll get worse (meaning they'll turn into a blood pool/laceration/large wound), breaking our chain in the process.

Vitals aren't stabilizing. There must be wounds in other areas. Let's look for them with the magnification tool.

There's wounds on each side of the lung. Using Healing Touch will prevent the blood clouds from worsening.

When we're almost done, Angie will tell us to use the ultrasound. This means that blood pockets have appeared. Again, Healing Touch will give us time before it bursts.

Vitals are stabilizing! She should be alright now. Let's move on to closing her up.

After closing up...

Operation complete. Good work, Doctor.
You've really improved, Derek! That was an amazing operation!
Thank you Dr. Mye-- I mean, Dr. Kasal.
How are the other patients?
Their treatments should be almost complete.
Actually, we just finished!

Bleeding worsened refers to those blood clouds.

Yes, we would have come up short-handed if it had only been our regular staff here and we have the whole Kasal family to thank for their help.

...What did Kari do to help?

It was no problem. We know how it is...
I don't even remember how many people I treated. Man, I haven't worked that hard in a while.
Yeah... I'm pretty tired too.
...Hm? Do I hear crying?

*Crying sound*

Is that little Kari!?
Oh my, she's still with Director Hoffman!
We better get back, Cybil!
Right!

*They both leave*

It's nice seeing those two. They seem to get along so well.
You're right... They're great. ...And I think the new addition to the family is making them happy.
Yeah, but enough about them. How's it going for you guys, Derek?
Wh-What are you talking about?
Oh come on, don't play dumb. I mean you and Angie. It's really about time you cleared things up for everyone...
C-Come on, knock it off...
Are you blushing, Derek? Oooh, so it's true then?

The cheerful music stops abruptly.

That would NEVER EVER happen!
Whoa... DENIED!
First of all, Dr. Stiles has had his head in the clouds lately! Being called a master surgeon, getting pampered and praised by everyone around him...! Even making media interviews and this ridiculous partnership with Acropolis his first priority! Have you forgotten what's most important about your job, Dr. Stiles!? For us to... to...! That would NEVER happen!
Angie...!?
What do you expect!? You haven't been acting like a professional at all lately! We're dealing with people's LIVES, here! Don't ever forget that!

Well that was bad. Seems like Angie is back to being a bitch. But I'm sure things are going to get bet...

...oh.

:ohdear:

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

4-2 Good Samaritans

Aside from the same type of wounds, both operations also serve as an introduction to blood clouds.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 28, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kari was cute and raised the mood of the doctors, that's an extremely important contribution and I won't let you ignore it.

Also it's good to know that this game just really wants to make Angie as unlikable as possible. Still better than the time she told a suicidal depressive pacient to kill herself though!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

She didn't seem to make Hoffman happy, though :j:

By the way, I added the plagiarism section that I forgot since we haven't had it for so long. In fact, it's the only one in this whole chapter.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

First of all, Dr. Stiles has had his head in the clouds lately! Being called a master surgeon, getting pampered and praised by everyone around him...! Even making media interviews and this ridiculous partnership with Acropolis his first priority! Have you forgotten what's most important about your job, Dr. Stiles!? For us to... to...! That would NEVER happen!

Literally nothing of this is true, but go off I guess.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

1234567890num posted:

The patient wasn't wearing her seatbelt; her entire upper torso was thrown through the windshield. Her chest took the majority of the damage, and she has lacerations on her right lung. Glass shards have pierced her lung; she's in critical condition.

In this game about fighting super viruses with lasers and the power to slow/stop time, you get a lesson to wear your loving seatbelt.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Angie is the real villian of this game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They're trying to play up the drama like what happened in TC:UtK/SO but there Derek did actually gently caress up. Here he really didn't, at all.
And Caduceus did need the good press, PR is sadly an important part in doctorin', so I don't know why Angie is being such an rear end. Admittedly the comment is a bit much; "HEY DOCTOR WHEN ARE YOU AND YOUR NURSE ASSISTANT GONNA GET HITCHED???" is kinda gross, but her response is clearly aimed at Derek not Tyler

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The way I see it, Angie can be seen as fair through the lens of Japanese Humility™. You're really not supposed to boast about your skills no matter how true it is, much less appear on TV with interviews about it. It's also why Reina made a big deal about how important it is to accept praise.

BisbyWorl posted:

In this game about fighting super viruses with lasers and the power to slow/stop time, you get a lesson to wear your loving seatbelt.

This is the most important life lesson you can learn from this game, though.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

SSNeoman posted:

I don't know why Angie is being such an rear end. Admittedly the comment is a bit much; "HEY DOCTOR WHEN ARE YOU AND YOUR NURSE ASSISTANT GONNA GET HITCHED???" is kinda gross, but her response is clearly aimed at Derek not Tyler

she just got embarrassed about her crush/personal life in front of her professional peers, she knows Derek is being stupid about this other lady, and is prone to going from zero to 100 on the emotional outburst scale? :shrug:

so you take someone primed to be frustrated with Derek getting an emotional button pressed, well, that kind of thing happens with actual people all the time. And in the context of this being a game, you gotta have friction in that second act before the romance plot concludes in the climax/denouement :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 30, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Angie has been chastising Derek for like the entire chapter. About the offer to Acropolis, the TV interview, the operation monitoring, and finally about whatever this last one is. The only time this chapter Angie doesn't chastise Derek is when they're at Elysium.

Speaking of Elysium...

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Good morning, Dr. Stiles!
...Hey, Leslie. Are those two... still?
Yeah... Doesn't look like they've made peace with each other yet.
Man, they're so stubborn. It's kinda true though; Derek's been getting pretty swept up in this media circus. But, I think Angie might be taking it all a little too seriously.
What do you mean, "personally?"
I mean, I think she's jealous of that beautiful nurse, or maybe even the president of Acropolis. I doubt Derek's had much, uh... experience with women, so maybe he got flustered.
Ohhh, really? So, you think it's just a regular lover's quarrel?

*Alarm rings*

PA System: "Attention all staff! There's been a GUILT outbreak at Elysium! I repeat! A GUILT outbreak has occurred! Elysium is requesting immediate support. Many have already been infected! Emergency personnel, report immediately for dispatch!"

What!? Elysium!? That's where Emilio is!
I can't believe this! A GUILT outbreak!?
Everyone, I'm sure you heard the announcement! Grab your hazard gear! We're heading over there!
Understood!

Dr. Stiles! Look at all these people who have collapsed!
...How does it look, Dr. Chase?
Chiral reactions are... positive! There's no mistaking it: it's GUILT!
Alright! Chase and Tulba, perform first aid wherever it's needed and get people ready for transport! Clarks, Stiles, Thompson, and Sears! You four need to treat those who've been infected! Start with the patients showing the most severe symptoms! Prioritizing them is crucial!
Alright, we need to hurry inside, Dr. Stiles!
Yes, sir!
Adel, let's go! You better keep up with me!
Understood!

Where are the patients who've been infected!?
They're over in that room, and the one over there too...
Alright, this area is clear! Seal it off immediately!
Y-Yes, sir!
Leslie and I will take the room in the back. You two handle the patients in the other room!

I think this is episode gives Clarks more lines than the rest of the game combined.

Understood! Let's move, Angie!
Right!

*They both move to the room*

Heather!? Emilio!

Are you OK!? Hang in there!
Emilio!?
A-Angie... It... hurts...
D-Doctor...! P-Please! Please... save Emilio...!
Heather! You shouldn't speak! Don't worry! I'm going to save both of you!
Tr... Treat Emilio... first! Please! Doctor... Stiles...! ...... *collapses*
Heather!? drat! She lost consciousness...!
Medico...! D-Doctor... Stiles! H-Heather... Treat first... Treat... her... before me...!
Emilio!?

Heather... say so...

You had Pempti and Nous. I don't think those antibodies are going to help against a completely different GUILT...

You have... antibodies...?
Doctor!? Do you think he's right?
Yes, it's possible... but we don't know how long he'll be able to last!
Doctor... hurry! Heather... operate first! Help... Heather... Doctor!
...Angie, get ready to operate!

Operation Video

Yep. Our first encounter with Kyriaki in this game is also our first marathon operation :shepicide:

The examination results have confirmed that they're all infected with Kyriaki!
Kyriaki... I didn't want to hear that name again.
Who will we operate on first, Doctor?
...We should let the patients' vitals dictate the order, like we usually do. There's a female patient with an intestinal infection, and a male employee infected in the lung. Both of them are in worse condition than Heather and Emilio. Here's the order we'll use: The Elysium patient, the employee, Heather, and then Emilio.
...Are you sure Emilio will be alright if we operate on him last...?
...If it comes down to it, I'll use my power. I should be able to treat the others before Emilio's condition gets worse. This is exactly the kind of situation that calls for the Healing Touch. I will save all of them!
...Understood, Doctor. We only have one objective:
  • Eliminate Kyriaki.
We have a series of operations ahead of us... but we have to keep at it!
Yes, we have to treat each patient as quickly as possible!

We have four patients to operate on, so we'd better get started, Doctor. All of them are in critical condition, so please work as quickly as possible!

In marathon operations, the time limit doesn't get renewed between patients, so it's very important to operate quickly. In this case, we have 10 minutes for all 4 patients.

These lacerations... It's definitely Kyriaki! Let's start by treating the lacerations, Doctor!

ALL Kyriaki operations will start with the lacerations and gashes. Kyriaki won't actually create gashes, so these are the only ones we'll have to treat.

It's very important to raise the vitals to max before treating the final gash for the actual fight.

Chiral reaction confirmed... It's Kyriaki! To treat Kyriaki, we'll use the ultrasound to find it, and then use the scalpel to expose it. Once it's exposed, use the laser to destroy it!

Kyriaki will cause a laceration when it appears and when it's exposed. If left alone, it'll move around and create more lacerations periodically.

GUILT strain 2: Kyriaki (Sunday)
The very first GUILT in the series. As such, it's the simplest one to treat (except in X operations, where it's the hardest). In fact, it's so simple that its introduction in this game throws multiple patients at once.

Kyriaki will quickly move away from the laser, so it's best to apply it with taps. 2 taps should kill the small ones.

Each Kyriaki is counted as a separate entity, so we're going to see this text plenty of times. The only other time this happen is with Cheir.

What!? Another chiral reaction! It's not gone yet! Please treat it again, Doctor!

Kyriaki oomes in three waves. The first one appears right after we treat the initial wounds (sometimes even with a few lacerations left) and the second after a certain number of Kyriaki is defeated.

Doctor, don't let your guard down. We're not done yet! The Kyriaki that's left hasn't revealed itself yet...

...! More lacerations! I'm detecting Kyriaki, but... it's much larger this time! Try to treat it the way you've treate dthe others, Doctor!

The third comes after all Kyraki and the wounds from the first two phases have been dealt with. It has this signature three cuts.

The big one will dive back into the organ every time it's lasered, so we'll have to find and expose it again. Keep in mind that it'll create a laceration every time we expose it.

Otherwise it's the same as the small ones. Fun fact: this is the only big Kyriaki we'll encounter in this game.

Starting the second operation.
Alright... We have to hurry!
Yes, Doctor!

Notice how the vitals changed between patients. All patients' starting vitals are fixed, so there's no need to pump up the vitals before bandaging except for the final one.

The first wave has two Kyriaki while the second wave has one.

Like I said before, the second wave comes after a certain number of Kyriaki has been defeated. That number might be less than the number of Kyriaki in that first wave, so it's best to treat all of the first wave at once.

As always, the third wave has the signature wound. However...

Huh...? That shadow looks different than the last one!
...We don't have time to hesitate. Please treat it in the same way, Doctor!

Meet Queen Kyriaki. The treatment method for it is the same as a big Kyriaki. Mostly.

Another Kyriaki appears after the queen dives. We kill the small one and burn the queen again...

Wait... Something about this new reaction I'm getting is different from the larger Kyriaki! Doctor! Something may be hiding inside the organ! Please halt the treatment on the Kyriaki for a moment, and search the area with the ultrasound!

As you can see, another small Kyriaki has appeared, along with whatever this thing is. We can cut and then remove it with the forceps.

This object... it's--
...It's very weak, but I'm getting a chiral reaction from it!
What!? Then it's a Kyriaki pupa!? Those larger Kyriaki must be kind of like a queen... They give birth to new Kyriaki!
We have no idea what it's capable of... But let's continue the treatment, Doctor.

The game calls it a pupa, but the wiki calls it an egg. I'm going to use them interchangeably.

Anyway, with it removed, no more new Kyriaki appears.

Just when we think we know everything about a strain of GUILT... I can't believe Kyriaki can reproduce like that!
...We don't have time to think about it now. Heather and Emilio are waiting for us.
You're right; let's hurry. Please close up the patient, Doctor.

Suturing ensues.

That concludes the second patient's operation!
Alright, then... Heather is our third patient!
Let's begin Ms. Ross's operation. Please do your best, Doctor!
(Heather... Hang in there, just a little longer. I'm going to save you and Emilio no matter what it takes! So... don't give up!) Let's get started!

Everything is mostly the same at first, but...

...for some reason, the game throws the second and third wave at the same time at us. Probably a bug or something :shrug:

Normally, I'd panic and use the Healing Touch right here, but we want to save it for Emilio. We'll manage without it for the time being.

This is a Queen Kyriaki, just like we saw in the last patient! That means there should be a pupa around somewhere! Use the ultrasound to find them!

All eggs not removed will become a small Kyriaki after the queen dives. The wiki says that there's a rare chance of them becoming a big one instead, but I have never seen that happen.

The laser is working! ...There are no new Kyriaki reactions either! But I think that the Queen is giving birth to new pupa every time it dives into the organ... Let's try and extract the pupa before treating the Queen!

After the first hit, the queen will create 3 pupas every dive. We REALLY do not want to deal with three Kyriaki plus the queen at once.

This is probably a good time to note that every time we cut a Kyriaki (or their eggs) we lose 5 vitals. And also every time the Kyriaki makes a cut. And that's on top of whatever vital drain the wounds are causing. Using antibiotic gel should help a lot since they also stop the wound from draining vitals for a while.

Oh look, our first Bad :confuoot:

Ms. Ross's treatment is almost done. Next is Emilio!
We can't waste any time. I'm going to get her closed up!

The last patient and Heather took less than 2 minutes each, so we have plenty of time for Emilio.

That concludes Ms. Ross's treatment!
(I'm coming, Emilio! Hold on just a bit longer!)

Wait, what?

I have a bad feeling about this... :ohdear:

Angie, let's begin treatment on Emilio!
D-Doctor!? E-Emilio's--! His blood pressure and pulse are dropping! Vitals... critical! He's in danger here!
What!?
No! He's flatlining! He's going into cardiac arrest!
Dammit! Get the defibrillator! Hurry!
I've got it right here!
Emilio! I won't let you die!
Doctor! The defibrillator is fully charged!
Alright, starting at 200! Clear! *shocks*
No pulse yet!
That didn't work? Ngh...! One more time! Raising it too 300! Clear! *shocks* NO! I'm not giving up yet! Raising to 360! Clear! Come back! *shocks* Come back to us, Emilio! *shocks* Come back! Emilio!!!
...... ...Doctor.
...It's not too late! I can use the Healing Touch! Emilio, I will save you! I swore that I would!
...Doctor! It's no use! Please, stop!

Ngh... Emilio... *collapses*

Doctor!? Dr. Stiles!!

:smith:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

That's a pretty good fake out

Also the game does a pretty good job of making this seem like a total nightmare in its gameplay.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Oh yea, I was loving SHOCKED when I first saw that end screen for the operation. Poor kid.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this part of the game is harsh :(

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
I have very strong memories of rushing through this operation the first time to leave much more than a quarter of the time limit left, knowing each one would be more complicated than the last but also determined to give as much time as possible to Emilio's operation because no way was I gonna let him get out at anything other than full health, after a well-executed operation as far as I could manage on my first try.

The ending hurt me a whole lot.

Also:

SSNeoman posted:

They're trying to play up the drama like what happened in TC:UtK/SO but there Derek did actually gently caress up. Here he really didn't, at all.
And Caduceus did need the good press, PR is sadly an important part in doctorin', so I don't know why Angie is being such an rear end. Admittedly the comment is a bit much; "HEY DOCTOR WHEN ARE YOU AND YOUR NURSE ASSISTANT GONNA GET HITCHED???" is kinda gross, but her response is clearly aimed at Derek not Tyler

This is part of why I really don't like how they used Angie in this game. IMO they're using her as a plot vehicle to shine a light on what they're trying to tell us are Derek's flaws in contrast to UtK/SO themes while conflating that with a romantic arc, and it always makes the love interest look even worse than they are. (The other example of this that sticks in my memory is Tales of Legendia, where it's easy to mistake "Maybe our fantasy races can't coexist after all if people keep murdering each other" with "the boy I liked rejected me" as motivations for genocide.) If I remember right, this isn't even the peak yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
yeah it's ... not a good look for her but at least there's a thin layer of motive. It's both understandable and not great.

also that last operation sure was a twist. this type of thing doesn't happen in medical games!!!

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
You mentioned that dude with a beard takes over when Derek fails an operation, how's that work?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

tomanton posted:

You mentioned that dude with a beard takes over when Derek fails an operation, how's that work?

Derek fucks up, other guy takes over, Game Over.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

...You're lying, Doctor!
Please... Please tell me you're lying! Dr. Stiles! It's all a big lie, right!?
This... This can't be...! *sob*
Ms. Ross... I'm very sorry... I... I misjudged the-- Emilio had GUILT antibodies... so I thought he had more time...
Why!? Why didn't you operate on Emilio before me!? I pleaded! I pleaded for you to save him! And you still didn't-- Why!? Why didn't you, Dr. Stiles!?
Please calm down, Ms. Ross... I'm so sorry... It was our responsibility... Our... fault...
I... I was supposed to protect Emilio... But now, I'm the one alive, and he's-- Emilio... *sob* Aaahhhh.....!

Derek... Try not to take it so hard... You made the right call on who to treat first.
Dr. Stiles... It couldn't be helped in that kind of situation. I probably would have made the same decision as you...
Dr. Clarks...
You can't blame yourself...
But... I...

You did make the right choice. I believe so too. But can you really say to us that you weren't at all negligent?
Angie...
You assumed that you'd have enough time if you used the Healing Touch... But, that's an arrogant assumption... Don't you think you overestimated its power!?
Your pride is what caused this mistake! Your dependence on the Healing Touch! Wouldn't you agree!?
...! ......

Way to kick a man while he's down, Angie.

Angie, stop! You're being way too hard on Derek.
...But isn't it mortifying...!? Aren't all of you absolutely mortified by this!? One of our patients died, for heaven's sake! That's the most unbearable part of our work, isn't it!?
Angie...
That's why... That's why I've been giving you such a hard time! It can't be helped that your skill has made you a famous doctor. But my greatest fear, what I worried about the most... was that it would change you!
And that fear has come true... You're no longer the Dr. Stiles I'd grown to respect!
I... may have said too much. But that's how I really feel. This is just... more than I can stand. *leaves*
(She's right... I never even noticed... How did I let this darkness creep into my heart...? And because of it... Emilio is dead!)

It would've been very nice if Sylvia is here :smith:

You're saying it was another terrorist attack?
Isn't it obvious? Even taking into consideration that Elysium was full of PGS patients... It's simply impossible for that many GUILT cases to suddenly pop up with no warning whatsoever.
Hmm...
What worries me more, though, is that new GUILT we found inside that Mexican kid. There's no way that was a "natural" mutation.
But even if this outbreak was an act of terrorism... who would have done it... and why...? ......

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Man, Angie is a huge jerk.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

:smith: such a sad loss
:( I would've made the same choices

:byodame: TWAS ARROGANCE THAT SLAYED THE BOY

gently caress off Angie

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

"HOW DARE YOU THINK YOUR MAGIC POWER THAT HAS MADE THE IMPOSSIBLE POSSIBLE MIGHT HAVE BEARING ON THIS IMPOSSIBLE SITUATION!" is pretty crazy.

Like yes, he thought his actual literal time stop surgery magic might give him a little more time and that informed his triage. That's just reasonable! That's a reasonable decision in a bad situation!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

And there's no way to know that, if he had done it the other way around, he'd have saved Emilio. It was a time crunch and there's no way to tell when Emilio tipped bast the point of no return, maybe two people would have died instead of one. Obviously it's natural to feel guilty, but it's important to reinforce that triage is done for a reason and even doctors with magical timestop surgery powers can't save everyone.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also Angie where was this good poo poo when he decided on the triage order? You coulda spoke up. She just went "are you sure?" instead of standing her ground if this is how she felt. This is some hindsight 20/20 poo poo.

Also can we talk about how everybody just expects Derek to resolve impossible situations? Like the funny thing is that the game over screens emphasize that few other people can perform GUILT surgeries, most of the members of Caduceus cannot perform them. Like sure Derek comes through time and time again but they're all being hella reliant on that. You kinda lose the right to complain when you put that much pressure on the guy and he cannot resolve an impossible situation which is, in fact, impossible.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 3, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Emilio ALSO pleaded to save ms ross and they made the joint decision to treat the victims in order from least to most
If they had done Emilio before ross they'd probably at least have ross dead (if only because Emilio's condition probably woudl have required way more, would angie have done the same excuse? You're treating 4 critical condition patients in a row and it was all hands on deck.

Also Derek wasn't even that arrogant about anything? He was more flustered by the fame than anything else and I feel like he doesnt bring up the Touch all that much; I suppose the game kind of assumes you're using it all the time (which, game hard, fair) and we're supposed to apply that to derek's personality in each operation?

I think Angie is okay to lash out at Derek (everyone's dealing with grief differently) and she's clearly got a chip on her shoulder about all the fame, but this angle doesnt work at all

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

rannum posted:

Emilio ALSO pleaded to save ms ross and they made the joint decision to treat the victims in order from least to most
If they had done Emilio before ross they'd probably at least have ross dead (if only because Emilio's condition probably woudl have required way more, would angie have done the same excuse? You're treating 4 critical condition patients in a row and it was all hands on deck.

Also Derek wasn't even that arrogant about anything? He was more flustered by the fame than anything else and I feel like he doesnt bring up the Touch all that much; I suppose the game kind of assumes you're using it all the time (which, game hard, fair) and we're supposed to apply that to derek's personality in each operation?

I think Angie is okay to lash out at Derek (everyone's dealing with grief differently) and she's clearly got a chip on her shoulder about all the fame, but this angle doesnt work at all
Yeah if Derek had been completely confident and acted like there was no need to even triage anyone because he could save them all, that'd be the arrogance that Angie is implying. Instead he... was flustered but kept it together enough to save 3 out of 4 terminally ill, critically wounded patients, which is actually fairly good.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I absolutely HATED angie during this part of the game. Like, loving really bitch? Like you could have done literally any better. It also doesn’t help EVERYONE kinda has to rely on Derek for most of the GUILT based operations. Specially when new strands pop up and he’s the first one to tackle them typically.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It absolutely feels like the game wants us to agree with Angie here but the writing has completely failed to actually show us her points. In fact, she comes across as a complete rear end in a top hat here, attacking a person when he's going through a lot of pain after misjudging a situation and failing to save someone. She claims it was arrogance and he changed but none of that was actually shown, in fact, he's been shown to constantly reject popularity and only accepts what can be useful for the world rather than for himself, and his choice here was a deliberate one based on every factor he could take into account, hardly an arrogant one, it was a completely logical one that nonetheless backfired and he cannot be blamed for it.

Game until now: Derek is a completely selfless person that's 100% commited to save his patients and the only thing that's changed during the game is that he's more willing to use anything to properly pass on his skills so more people can be saved, as he puts no interest in his own position in society or importance in the medical field, but instead only wants to help as many people as he can.

Game, according to Angie: Derek is an rear end in a top hat that's corrupted by popularity and that makes him be directly responsible for his patient's death.

Yeah...that does not work. And it's incredibly weird after the previous game did a great job in showing Derek being fully deserving of the criticism he got.

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
SPEAKING OF ANGIE BEHIND A BADLY CHARACTERIZED VEHICLE FOR THE PLOT...

Right now the game's writers really, really want the player to be acknowledging the Healing Touch as a "with great power comes great responsibility" thing, where great responsibility involves maintaining a clear head, ability to stay cool under pressure, and especially the strength of will/lack of ego to view it as a life-saving tool and not something that makes you a god. (This will come up again later, actually.)

But Derek's ego never goes above "aw shucks, really?" and instead they just created a lot of melodrama and made the player really mad at Angie.

rannum posted:

I feel like he doesnt bring up the Touch all that much; I suppose the game kind of assumes you're using it all the time (which, game hard, fair) and we're supposed to apply that to derek's personality in each operation?

If I remember right Derek didn't use it much between the end of UtK and the beginning of this game in Costigar because there wasn't much need, but it came into relevance when GUILT started becoming a threat again. I think the game wants us to think he's been using it as a crutch since, but really:

Blaze Dragon posted:

the game wants us to agree with Angie here but the writing has completely failed to actually show us her points.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

I feel like the issue for this bit (imo) is less "Angie is being a jerk" and more that it seems like Derek has 2 characteristics that contradict each other for this: one is the arrogance that he's supposedly been building up until now (and the blueprints for this up till now make sense, like the TV interviews and apparently using the Touch a lot??), and the other is this sorta humble but otherwise chill doctor dude.

I guess that the idea's supposed to be that he goes from humble -> arrogant, but it doesn't really come off like there's any "tissue" bridging those, and it feels like it kind of backs off of actually doing that partway through it?? :shrug: Overall this whole part seems like it's a p good idea, but that it's executed kinda weird and missing some crucial parts?

PetraCore posted:

Yeah if Derek had been completely confident and acted like there was no need to even triage anyone because he could save them all, that'd be the arrogance that Angie is implying. Instead he... was flustered but kept it together enough to save 3 out of 4 terminally ill, critically wounded patients, which is actually fairly good.

For instance, this good and nice small change during that part of the operation could have really helped "bridge" these two character bits together! :)

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I still feel like "arrogant" described UtK1 Derek better, what with blowing off patients to go party in that one operation, IIRC. He's not even seeking out the fame, it's coming to him. Caduceus asked him to do the interview and the televised operation, not the other way around. I'm going to chalk it up to differing ideals of propriety and humility between the Japanese writing staff and the American consumer, and that him saying stuff like "if my skills can help others, I'm fine with it" is supposed to come off as more arrogant than it does on this side of the globe.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It might even sound genuinely different in the Japanese, depending on the quality of translation.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

A quick 2-3 frame interlude showing Derek going to use the Touch and passing out due to exhaustion from its overuse just before Emilio's vitals crash would've fixed the storyline.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

oldskool posted:

A quick 2-3 frame interlude showing Derek going to use the Touch and passing out due to exhaustion from its overuse just before Emilio's vitals crash would've fixed the storyline.
Yeah, that still arguably might not be his fault but it'd give a grieving Angie a lot more basis for lashing out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Angie could also be written as lashing out because of her father's work on GUILT, feeling guilty for Emelio's death sort of by proxy. It'd be a humanizing moment where she felt culpable for the sins of her father even though it's in no way her fault.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 4, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Yeah, the issue isn't even that she's lashing out irrationally; that would make sense, after all. Everyone's under a huge amount of stress and they've just had a truly awful day, someone snapping and taking it out on their friends and colleagues would be normal. It's more that it seems like it isn't supposed to be irrational.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

"Can you imagine how heavy your hands would be with the Healing Touch? There aren't many doctors who could endure such a weight..."

Why was I so conceited...? If only I gave it more thought... If I wasn't so drat confident in my ability... I might've been able to save both Heather and Emilio... Or... would Heather have just taken Emilio's place...?
Ngh...! Thinking about my actions doesn't change what happened! It won't bring Emilio back!

...Um, Dr. Stiles? Are you... OK? You don't look so good...
Yeah... I'm ready to go.

Welcome back from Bitchfield, Angie.

Um... Maybe you should get a little more rest... Actually, that was Director Hoffman's suggestion... And--
Thanks for your concern, Angie. But I can't do that. I'm a doctor of Caduceus. I can't let my personal problems interfere with my work.
But...
(It's true, isn't it...? I don't have time to sit around and think. There are still patients who need to be treated.)

What!?
What happened!?
Dr. Tulba suddenly collapsed! He's got a high fever, too!
...!

Welp.

It seems that he's had an onset of that disease we treated while we were in Costigar.
What!? Then it was lying dormant inside him this whole time!?
Those subcutaneous bleedings and lacerations have already formed on his abdomen and he's suffering from a fever over 102 degrees... Doctor, we have to hurry!
You're right! We have an idea of how to treat it this time. Don't worry, Angie. We'll cure him.
Understood. There are two objectives for this operation:
  • Treat the lacerations on the abdomen.
  • Treat the internal hemorrhaging.
Please treat the subcutaneous bleedings promptly, or they will worsen.

Operation Video

...Let's begin the operation. We'll use the same procedure as when we dealt with this in Africa. Find the areas that have internal hemorrhaging, make an incision, and then drain the blood. Finally, suture the incision. ...That's the treatment plan.
Understood. Hang in there, Adel! We're going to save you!

This operation is pretty much the exact same as before with a few exceptions.

The first exception is that Adel will starts off with some blood pockets already. Like before, we should raise vitals to max before treating the final blood pocket.

Vitals are still unstable... There are more internal hemorrhages!

5 blood pockets appear at once. In this fever operation, these blood pockets will start off very close to bursting, so our best bet is to cut all of them at once. Again, make sure to raise vitals to max before treating the final one.

His skin's condition has improved, but his vitals won't stabilize... There must be something else... Wh-What the--!? More internal hemorrhages! I'm detecting a large number of them! Please deal with them quickly!

And here we have the second exception: the blood pockets will form endlessly after this point. Treating an odd number of it will cause 2 more to form, with the maximum of 5. Treating an even number of it won't cause any to form, so it's best to treat 2 at a time.

We can treat as many as we want, but the blood pockets will keep appearing. Angie will tell us that we have to use the Healing Touch, so let's do that.

(...!? Wh-What? This feeling... ...It's not right! It's not how I usually feel! ...That must have been a coincidence. Try to imagine the star again!)

(This can't be! I-I'm concentrating! No, I'm not done! I have to concentrate harder!)
Doctor? What's wrong!? You don't look too good!
It's... nothing. I'm alright... Let's continue the operation!

Wh-Why!? Why can't I reach that state?
Doctor!? Come on! You need to do something, or Adel will--
Ngh...! What's wrong with me!? Why can't I use the Healing Touch!?
Doctor...!? What's wrong!?
Calm down, Derek! I'll finish this for you...!
Director Hoffman...!? What's happened to me...!?
Ms. Thompson, take Dr. Stiles out of the operating room and make him get some rest. Also, please send in Chief Kasal immediately!
Y-Yes, sir! Come on, Dr. Stiles... Let's go.
D-Director... I-I...

WELP.

Yes, we could've ended this operation in 5 seconds. It would've given us the worst rank, though.

That was fascinating. Perhaps you truly are a descendent of Asclepius... In all honestly, he may not have pulled through if you hadn't stepped in.

Remember that Hoffman also has the Healing Touch.

I'm just glad we were able to save him. Although, it's hard to be happy, considering the circumstances.
...You're referring to Derek...
Yes... I'd like to believe that his slump will only be temporary but what happened at Elysium has been weighing heavily on my mind.
You mean... Emilio Juarez's death...?
Yes... I, too, once relied on the Healing Touch, and it led me to make a mistake that can never be undone. I vowed never to pick up a scalpel again. Of course... that was until an old friend of mine helped me find my courage again.

He's talking about Secretary Anderson here.

I just hope that Derek will be able to overcome this.

I wasn't able to...
This was the second time I failed... Adel almost lost his life because of me. Why couldn't I use the Healing Touch...? Have I lost the ability to invoke it...? Is it possible that I can't save anyone anymore...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Why was I so conceited...? If only I gave it more thought... If I wasn't so drat confident in my ability... I might've been able to save both Heather and Emilio... Or... would Heather have just taken Emilio's place...?
one of these is more likely than the other derek