Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There was prob some sci-fi port he just slammed a jar into. Bam instant GUILT cure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, Trauma Center. I remember playing... the first one? And gave up at Triti 2.0. Funny how it never came back in the sequel.

Nor Paraskevi, either. :v:

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Quackles posted:

Ah, Trauma Center. I remember playing... the first one? And gave up at Triti 2.0. Funny how it never came back in the sequel.

Oh don't get me started on Triti operations. I failed them so many times before saying "gently caress this", looked up a guide for them going forward and completed each of them in a minute or so. Each.

Paraskevi I'm a bit abivelent on, they were decent challenges and gave you enough time for the most part...until those loving God drat piece of poo poo post-game operations of course

Kemix fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 12, 2020

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

SSNeoman posted:

This is literally never ever brought up elsewhere in the series unless Heinrich is talking about other countries. Medical costs are always a non-issue in these, and frankly the story is better for it.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Healing Touch.

This is my guess too, especially since he tries to use it to stab Derek later on.

Quackles posted:

Triti isn't that bad if you know how to handle it. It's more of a puzzle than a test of skill. You do have to be moderately fast, but it doesn't require pure speed like, say, Kyriaki. the SO version is definitely better, though.

Paraskevi also isn't bad. Just use Healing Touch right at the start and focus on one segment at a time. Even UtK's X-6 is easy; I think it's the third easiest of the lot (after Tetarti andTriti). SO's 6-7 and X-6, however, well... that's another story. I beat SO X-6 with 2 seconds left to spare :sweatdrop:

Of course, all of this is based on just completing the operation. If you're going for XS, your experience will be very different.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

"it's been confirmed that Heinrich von Raitenau, the leader, will be tried under international law. This news comes as a result of several nations' insistence that his crimes were utterly inhumane. In a related story, the Hands of Asclepius is being lauded for the suppression of GUILT terrorism. The investigations being conducted on these attacks are reaching their final stages as..."

Listening to news like that gives you mixed feelings, doesn't it, Dr. Stiles? I imagine the entire situation was painful for you...
Well, I have my own thoughts on the subject... But for now, I'm just going to concentrate on the thyroid operation I'm performing today.
Yeah, I'm glad that the GUILT terrorism is finally over, but we've still got problems. I mean, people are starting to think Caduceus is practically old-fashioned compared to the HOA. We didn't even get any credit for what we did during the raid.
That necrosis serum, and the PGS medication... The HOA has made themselves quite indispensable. Although, they wouldn't have gotten anywhere if it weren't for us...

I'm sorry I'll be gone while everyone is so busy...
Don't worry, Heather. You've been really overworked lately, so I'm glad you're taking a break. Besides, we haven't had nearly as many PGS patients to take care of lately. ...We have our "rivals" to thank for that. Ironic, isn't it?

:confuoot:

Yes, and Acropolis Pharmaceutical has been making a lot of big advancements too. Hard to believe that they were subjected to a terrorist attack recently.
I know. But it seems like GUILT is going to become a disease of the past pretty soon. Treatments for it have been almost completely established now. Oh, could you put those old sheets in the bin over here?
Sure. By the way, have you seen the charts for that patient who's coming in?
No, and it's weird that we haven't received them yet, since her procedure's already been scheduled. I've already filed two requests with the office; I'm going to complain.
Wow, they need to get their act together...

No one within the general staff can be notified until the truth of the matter has been confirmed.
There are rumors that similar cases have emerged at Caduceus's overseas branches... And now we'll be able to see it for ourselves. Our source on the inside risked his life for this. We're in his debt.
I never imagined his investigation on the Juarez case would lead to this.
Yes, and it's hard to say what's to come... But the answer has to be found, regardless. I think we have to put our faith in Derek.

Just like always.

I told him about the operation, but I didn't give him any details on the patient's condition.
He has shed light on the shadows cast by GUILT before; hopefully he can do it again...

I heard that the patient is being transported from overseas, so it might be an urgent operation.
Still, Chief Kasal kept reminding us not to talk about it with anyone... Doesn't that bother you a little, Dr. Stiles?
Yeah... I think it's also weird that the patient's condition was never explained to us. I'm sure the Chief must have his reasons...

Alright then, let's begin. After we discuss the patient's condition, you have to begin the operation immediately.
...Was the onset of the patient's ailment so fast that they couldn't even provide us with the charts?
The patient's condition did worsen rather abruptly... But there's a reason that we've had to keep this highly classified.
...Classified?

:eng101: It means a secret.

The patient's name is Annie Fisher. She's a professional tennis player.
A celebrity, huh? She's gotten rather popular lately. I heard she's been rising through the ranks...
Yes, but her popularity isn't the reason it's being kept a secret. Ten days ago, she suddenly began feeling pain in her abdomen, so she had it examined. The cause of her pain was finally determined-- No, I take that back. We're not entirely sure yet.
...Wait, what do you mean?
Her chiral reaction is positive. But the analysis doesn't match any GUILT types known to us.
...! Then it's a new strain!?

Of course! Do you think we're getting away from this game with only 4 GUILT strains? :buddy:

It's a horrible thing to even consider... But it's too high of a possibility to ignore. None of the regular staff have been informed thus far. What we're telling you is top-secret.
But... why now? Does this mean that Delphi is still out there?
We're all curious about how it could have occurred. But that has to wait until after the operation. Right now, you need to ascertain the exact cause of the ailment and treat the patient accordingly. Ms. Fisher's condition is very severe; time is running out.
I understand. I'll do everything I can.
You'll have to make some tough judgment calls here, Derek. Operate with utmost care...

Her test results indicate that a number of lacerations have formed on her small intestine. There are two objectives for this operation:
  • Treat the lacerations on the small intestine.
  • Discover the lacerations' cause.
We're going into this completely blind, Doctor. Please be careful.
...Understood.

Operation Video

OK... Let's get started. We know absolutely nothing about the GUILT we're dealing with here, Doctor. Please be careful.
I understand. I'm going to be very cautious.
Yes...!

These initial lacerations are nothing special. Make sure to raise vitals to max before suturing the last one, though.

Treatment complete. After this--

*Convulsions occur*

...! Convulsions!? Chiral reaction detected! Something is emerging!

GUILT strain 5: Bythos (Depth)

In my opinion the hardest GUILT, even counting the final one. It's like Cheir if there's only one of them but attacks with much higher ferocity.

By the way, the music should sound familiar even though we haven't heard it in a long time.

The convulsions have stopped... But, this-- What do we do? We've never seen this kind of GUILT before!
This is really it! A new type of GUILT! But you're right, we'll just have to try things out. ...Do you see anything odd about its center?
Yes, it does look like some of its functions are concentrated there... Let's try to do damage to it at that point.

Just like Cheir, we have to laser it. However, unlike Cheir, you can't just push it out of the organ.

Like Cheir and Kyriaki, it'll periodically create lacerations. Except it'll create 3 or 4 at once. Remember that the vitals will take a hit by 5 per laceration.

This means Bythos can take away 15-20 vitals in one shot. And that's not counting the drain from the lacerations themselves. In fact, the drain from those lacerations are severe enough that suturing them is our first priority.

Bythos is a test of speed and attrition; even moreso than Pempti.

It burst! Did we... destroy it!?
...No. The chiral reaction hasn't changed at all! But the laser did manage to split the tissue from that object in the center. Doctor, I think that thing in the middle must be... the core!

You don't say? :j:

Then now's our chance! I'm going to extract it with the forceps!
Wait... What are those spores floating around it? Could they be trying to protect the core!? Doctor, try to extract the core without touching the luminous spores or the shards!

To make the damage stick, we have to manually remove the core without touching the spores or the shards (those split hamburger shells). If we do touch them, it will recombine and we'll have to laser it again. And it'll take 20 vitals for good measure.

The shards won't move while the blue spores will move in a circle around the core's initial position. The green spores will move at straight lines and bounce at the edges of the screen, but will beeline for our forceps once we remove the core. They suck :argh:

Taking too long to remove the core will have it recombine and repeat the process, just like if we hit the spores/shards (minus the vital hit). Even if we do manage to remove the core successfully, Bythos will still recombine.

The core we extracted regenerated! I-I think... the shards combined together to regenerate it! How can we stop it if it--
It's OK, Angie; let's stay calm. Can you check for any changes in the chiral reaction?
R-Right away! ...Huh...? Doctor, you were right! The chiral reaction has decreased! It's weakened because we extracted the core!
Then we're on the right track. Let's keep using this procedure.

Bythos still has one more trick, however.

It can dive into the organ and make 3/4 lacerations when surfacing.

What!? The GUILT moved instantly, from one location to another!
Lacerations have formed as well... but I think we should check the area it was before it moved... Use the ultrasound to check where the GUILT used to be!

Remember that removing a blood pocket (which the game calls hematocele apparently) removes 8 vitals. That in addition to the longer treating process makes this attack hard to deal with.

At least you have time for one shot of stabilizer while Bythos dives. Which restores about 8 vitals. Out of 20ish it take. :sigh:

As we keep lasering and then removing the core, the core color will change. Purple means it only have 2 HP left.

Red means it's on its last legs. The orange spores are faster versions of blue spores. The core removal process can get really hectic, especially with the high stakes.

You really have to manage vitals VERY carefully in this operation. If you fail to remove the core and have used up your HT, you might as well restart.

After removing the red core, the patient convulses while Bythos vades with a sparkle...

:woop:

...Chiral reaction is negative! The convulsions have stopped as well!
Well, so much for this new strain of GUILT! Let's close her up!

You know the drill.

That concludes the operation. Well done!
Same to you, Angie.

For once, playing on an emulator with 0.75x speed is making the operation overall easier :toot:

But, I'm glad I'm cured now. I must thank all of you.
We realize you're still in pain, Ms. Fisher, but we need to ask you some questions. It's important that we figure out how you got this. Anything you can tell us... could save lives.
Can you think of any aspect of your health that may have changed recently?
My health... U-Um... No, nothing comes to mind...
Ms. Fisher, the disease you had is extremely dangerous... Anything at all that you can tell us could be a clue. Please, don't hold back.
...No, I really can't think of anything...

Is there anything you did that might have affected your ability?
We may have been able to save your life this time, Ms. Fisher, but without your cooperation...
...... It wasn't me; it was my trainer. He said it wouldn't be considered doping.
Don't worry, we believe you. You're risking a lot to tell us this, and we appreciate it.
He told me there was a way I could build core strength, and then he gave me a few injections. He said it was an approved product of the pharmaceutical company that's sponsoring me. The supplement was simply amazing. Every day, I was able to feel my body gaining strength, and my reflexes getting better. Since taking it, I've been able to master techniques that I had only started learning. That's when it crossed my mind that what I was doing might be wrong...
Thank you, Ms. Fisher. You've been very brave to tell us all this.
Do you happen to remember the name of the pharmaceutical company?
Um... Something like... Metropolis?
...! You mean Acropolis!?
It would seem the loose ends are starting to tie themselves...

Turns out that Acropolis is evil. Who would've thought... :thunkher:

Don't you feel GUILTy for plagiarism?

I know I said the door operation was the last plagiarism, but I guess I forgot about this one somehow.

Opendork posted:

Here's a lesson on electronics for you: devices are put into sleep mode by removing entire chips(glowing yellow circles) while being careful not to touch the little glowy sparks. Your computer has to do this every time it goes into hibernate. Touching one means instant death of the user, which also applies to your computer.

Another electronics lesson: leaving a device in sleep mode makes it highly unstable. That's probably bad, so to take it out of sleep mode, you need to replace those chips. This time, though, there are a lot more sparks, and they move much faster. One of them will actually home in on any chip you hold. Touching anything is still instant failure, unless you use Valerie's HT. Markus's, however, makes the entire thing trivial, eliminating the risk. I didn't use either, naturally.

7-3 Identity Loss

At least touching a spark is no longer a literally guaranteed death. It's just a practically guaranteed death instead. Hooray? :confuoot:

Also, I'm putting the whole quote because I doubt you'd believe me if I told you that's what happened.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 7, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly that is probably the most unnerving GUILT ive seen.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

rannum posted:

Honestly that is probably the most unnerving GUILT ive seen.

Give it time. :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This one kind of broke my suspension of disbelief even more than usual. Something about the combination of the intestines background and the way the thing just ignores the background and slides around smoothly with no visible legs or wings or whatever makes it just look like it's hovering.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

1234567890num posted:

is there a CG shot of the entire Caduceus staff because that seems appropriate right now

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Is it HoA or Acropolis that's the evil one? Next that Heinrich dude is going to say it wasn't him who infected Ms. Mayuzumi or something and she just took ill the moment HoA doctors got near her.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tomanton posted:

Is it HoA or Acropolis that's the evil one? Next that Heinrich dude is going to say it wasn't him who infected Ms. Mayuzumi or something and she just took ill the moment HoA doctors got near her.

I am assuming both are evil and also working together considering the drug HoA are clearly using comes from them and also they supplied the healing touch brain scan. Meanwhile HoA is all but twirling a mustache between interactions as they create an army of zombie doctors and get close with the government and put a drain on al ldoctors nationwide.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tomanton posted:

Is it HoA or Acropolis that's the evil one?

Yes. :v:

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
The core removal process was by far my least favorite part about Bythos - it just felt like a lot of tedium and luck, especially since I have a bit of trouble with speed-based operations like Tetarti. Then I found out from a speedrun eleven years later that evidently using two styluses lets you teleport the core into the tray and I felt real dumb.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Watsonia posted:

Then I found out from a speedrun eleven years later that evidently using two styluses lets you teleport the core into the tray and I felt real dumb.

Yeah, the Nintendo DS's touch screen isn't a multi-touch device, that one puzzle from Hotel Dusk notwithstanding, so using two styluses at once yields... interesting results!

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

1234567890num posted:

I find it funny that the organization named after Caduceus, the wrong symbol for medicine, are the good guys while the bad guys are the ones named after the correct symbol. :v:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Psion posted:

is there a CG shot of the entire Caduceus staff because that seems appropriate right now

Nope! :buddy:

Quackles posted:

Yeah, the Nintendo DS's touch screen isn't a multi-touch device, that one puzzle from Hotel Dusk notwithstanding, so using two styluses at once yields... interesting results!

That Hotel Dusk puzzle does not actually use multi-touch itself. It only uses smart programming to utilize the quirk about multiple touches. I covered it in my LP of that game.

AstrialJam posted:

I find it funny that the organization named after Caduceus, the wrong symbol for medicine, are the good guys while the bad guys are the ones named after the correct symbol. :v:

...I just realized that :doh:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

No, I have no intention of backpedaling. Well find a way to treat it eventually. I expected there would be side effects. I know it's difficult, but this research is worth it. ...Yes. I'll talk to you soon. *hangs up*
Sir, your car is ready.
Alright... I'll be right there.
The driver wants to know if it's the usual place, sir.
Yes. Contact me if anything happens while I'm gone. Don't even think about hesitating. We have some issues that need to be resolved...
Understood, sir. *leaves*

We aren't talking about just motor skills either; it also has regenerative properties. Its main consumer base has been wealthy individuals-- the majority of them, athletes. Needless to say, the profit margins for Acropolis have been extremely high.
That's some crazy stuff. No wonder people are shelling out major cash for it.
Victor, I'd like your opinion on the matter.
Do I even need to explain all the things wrong with this medication? The worst part is that it's probably a derivative of GUILT. I'd be willing to bet that they're performing all kinds of illegal research over there.

That's not even including the part where this game plagiarized SO's final chapter! :argh:

That's a serious crime... GUILT research was outlawed under international law.
And athletes could be just the beginning. They could tap into even larger markets with this...
Yeah, putting aside their complete lack of morals, the technology itself is incredible. I'm sure they created that GUILT necrosis serum from the same research. Artificially structured amino acids... The embedding of genetic factors... The technology they possess is extremely effective in creating new GUILT.
Amino acids...? Dr. Stiles, that experiment they had you do...!
They even used that for GUILT research...!?
This is outrageous!

WELP :buddy:

It would be a logical assumption that they were given the same medicine.
Then they're all prone to attacks by this new GUILT!
Yes. We must hurry and come up with a treatment plan. Derek, I want you and the team to create a step-by-step procedure, based on Ms. Fisher's operation.
I'll do what I can to help, Chief.

Oh, that's easy! Here's the step-by-step guide:
  1. Open up the patient and treat the initial lacerations
  2. Laser the Bythos and suture the lacerations it caused
  3. Panic as vitals drop like a rock
  4. Rage as the core accidentally touched a spore while you're trying to remove it
  5. :pray:
  6. Profit! :confuoot:

I'm also going to contact the other branches of Caduceus to request reports of similar cases. Once we have enough evidence... we'll be able to mount a case against Acropolis and the HOA.
Things would have gone much worse, if not for the inside information we received.
Inside information, huh? You mean we have a spy?
We asked a certain individual to infiltrate the Hands of Asclepius. That individual's report is what led us to Ms. Fisher.
Can you tell us who this person is...?
...Director?
It should be fine, as long as it stays in this room.

Oh, I didn't know that it was revealed immediately. I was planning on putting a vote as to whether it's Blackwell or Adel. If the right one (Blackwell) wins, I would do the next operation without HT.

Too bad I don't get a chance to, though! :buddy: If you've played the game, you know that no HT in the next operation is a big handicap.

Even if it meant... that it would hurt your feelings by keeping it a secret from you.
My father!? So that's why...!
I'm terribly sorry about the circumstances... but, as you can see, it was necessary. I hope you understand...

I've been busy lately... There's this disease out there called GUILT that's causing a lot of pain. Remember? We talked about how scary it was when you were still well... ...... I wish we could talk like that again...

:smith:

It's been awhile, Father. I heard you come to see Mom pretty often...

:aaaaa:

This is the only place where I can find peace in my life. Tracy, we're both here today...
...Hard to believe it's been three years since your accident. But... your gentle expression never fades. Tracy... If I could, I would wake you up, right now... Nothing ever goes like I plan it. Your accident... and our daughter, who won't even listen to me now.
...Please, don't start this in front of Mom...
Where else, Heather? The only place I have the chance to speak to you is at her side. Are you still clinging to the mistake you've made in choosing your career? If you stay in the medical field, you'll be spending the rest of your life serving people. Don't you think your mother wants what's best for you? All I ask is that you listen to my advice.
If I do that, then next you'll be choosing who I marry, where I live, and how many kids I'll have. That's not how I want to live my life.
Would you say that to me if I was your real father? It's never too late. You can always start your life over.
...I'm currently working as a surgical assistant at Caduceus. I've heard a lot about you lately, and your Hands of Asclepius. You've created an impressive medical group, and in such a short amount of time. But... No matter how many great doctors you employ, you can't wake up Mom. At least I've come to terms with that... You should too. I'm sorry, Mom. I'm gonna go home for today. I'll come back soon... *leaves*
...... You are mistaken, Heather... Nous, Bythos, Sige, and Aletheia... The Neo-GUILT. If only I could say more...

Yes, there's 3 new GUILT types in this chapter. Looks like we're going to be facing Sige and Aletheia sometime soon.

By the way, this is the first out of three times the game explicitly says the name "Nous".

They're being charged with a violation of pharmaceutical regulations... But in actuality, there is suspicion that they've been illegally researching GUILT.
...You mean they were involved with the GUILT terrorism!? They were our ally against Delphi!
...Nothing is certain yet. But, it's a possibility that they have GUILT in their possession. And just so you know, this inquiry also names Acropolis Pharmaceutical as a participant. We'll be contacting Caduceus to provide medical backup for the mission.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 14, 2020

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Man, Detective Buckley's making a whole career out of this, isn't he?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
So the nurse step-daughter has definitely been injected with something right? She's got the glowy red eyes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

1234567890num posted:

tyler1: That's some crazy stuff. No wonder people are shelling out major cash for it.

You forgot to put his headshot here.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

So, the next operation(s)...

:suicide:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

The investigation is on TV!
So, it's finally begun!

Reporter: "I'm Will Anderson, reporting live from the Hands of Asclepius headquarters. Police will be arriving soon to conduct an investigation of the charges filed against the HOA. Both the HOA and Acropolis Pharmaceutical are being indicted for violating international law. This news has shocked many, as they played a major role in averting medical terrorism."

Fun fact: the MC in Miracle Surgery was Richard Anderson. Coincidence? :thunk:

Yeah, I'm sure no one anticipated this.

Reporter: "The police have just stepped inside the building... Yes, it appears the investigation is underway! The officials don't appear to be encountering any resistance, so things should continue smoothly. But, behind the agents we do have what appears to be an entire staff of medical advisors. This is likely a safety measure being taken to caution against any potential GUILT threats."

...It's Derek and the others... They're putting themselves in danger again...
I just hope everybody stays safe...

...It must have been very hard on you.
Yes, but I'm glad that this day has finally come. Angie, I'm sorry. I've been deceiving you all along...
...... Your actions were very brave, Father. I'm not bitter in the slightest.
But Professor, what convinced you to take on a task like this?
I knew from the start that it would be a dangerous gamble... But, I also knew that this was the only way to solve the mystery of the GUILT inside Emilio Juarez.
You've had your doubts since way back then?
Yes. Victor and I were researching it from all possible angles...And we arrived at a conclusion we could not dismiss. The key was Emilio's new liver. It was the most likely source of the new GUILT. We figured it had been tampered with, as well as the test results. The organ was supplied by Acropolis, to whom Elysium had outsourced their testing... So, in order to get closer to them, I accepted the offer made by the Hands of Asclepius.

1234567890num posted:

Well, yes and no. You see, a patient hospitalized at Elysium recently went brain dead. But, he was registered as a donor.
Wait... Then this liver is coming from Elysium?
Yes, and I know what you're thinking: the patient did have a history of GUILT... But both the organ function and the infection exams came back clean.

We never see Nous' :airquote:benefits:airquote:, but from that exchange and Emilio's operation it's probably something about improving cognitive function.

I see...
I had believed that I would find a Delphi agent among them... But it ended up being Acropolis that was responsible for all the illegal activity. Who would've thought that GUILT was the driving force behind the HOA ability enhancement program?
When did you realize that, Father?
I caught on when cases of the new GUILT started being reported to the Hands of Asclepius. The information came directly to us, through Acropolis's marketing network. None of the reports specified that those cases were GUILT-related... But it was clear to our eyes. It was a horrifying realization.
We're working on a countermeasure for the new GUILT back at Caduceus.
I'm glad to hear that. It's the HOA doctors who are in the most danger. The new GUILT controls the nervous system, and denatures the brain. Its effects could be perceived as beneficial, but if it were to become malignant--

What's wrong!?
We've found a potential GUILT victim!
...We'll be right there! I knew this wasn't gonna go smoothly!
Let's hurry, Dr. Stiles!

Urgh... My... head...!
Stop struggling, sir! You have to calm down! These men were struck by a sudden onset of pain!
Dr. Stiles...! Those men on the floor... They're HOA doctors!
My head... My head!!! Aghhh!
This must be what Professor Blackwell was talking about!
Ngh... It hurts...! Ughh... *collapses*
Doctor! What are your orders!?
We need to treat them immediately! Anyone without protective gear has to stand back!

HOA Doctor: "Ugh... ah... my... head..."

There doesn't appear to be any external damage to his head.
His breathing and heartbeat aren't impaired... Could it be his brain?
We'll need a CT scan of his head. He also needs a sedative, as soon as possible. There's a high probability he's suffering GUILT-induced brain trauma.
Professor... Angie, let's get to the facility examination rooms!
Yes, Dr. Stiles!

Operation Video

Aneurysms. Yay. :geno:

...Wait, why does it say 10 minutes? :ohdear:

The shadows on his brain indicate aneurysms! They must be causing the pain!
This will be an open-skull surgery... Let's be careful; we don't know how GUILT is affecting his system.
We have to hurry, Doctor. Cerebral hemorrhage has been detected. The patient may suffer any number of irreversible side effects if we don't treat him quickly. There are two objectives for this operation:
  • Stop the brain's hemorrhaging.
  • Excise the aneurysms and suture the blood vessels.
We'll be operating on three patients in a row.

Three aneurysm patients.

In a row.

Within 10 minutes.

:shepicide:

Since we're operating on the brain, we don't have to do the incision and suture. That's nice.

Let's get started. We have several operations to perform, so try to work efficiently.

Here's a reminder of how aneurysms work: the aneurysm will steadily grow and it'll burst if it gets too large. Injecting the sedative will make it smaller. Once it's small enough, we can cut and remove it.

Removing the aneurysm will eliminate the risk of it bursting. A burst aneurysm doesn't need to be injected/cut/removed, but it'll tank our vitals by 20. Somehow still not as much as a burst blood pocket/hematocele.

We can then drain the blood pools, reconnect the blood vessels, and suture them together. It might just be me, but it feels like the suturing here is very finicky. Much more finicky than our first aneurysm operation.

By the way, if you get an aneurysm small enough for cutting but let it grow back you'll get a guaranteed Bad for the suturing. This probably also applies if you drain the blood but let it reform, but I'm too :effort: to check.

Total Aneurysm: 2

We've treated everything in our view, but aneurysms have formed over a wider area. Use the magnification tool to search for the others.

Aneurysms come in waves, with the second and final waves appearing only after everything before them have been treated. You might read that sentence thinking that "the second wave is the final one", but "the second wave is NEVER the final one" is a lot more accurate.

Total Aneurysm: 4

The rest of the waves appear after an aneurysm from the wave right before it is reconnected (but not sutured).

Total Aneurysm: 6

...I honestly don't remember why I bothered raising vitals here. Time is very precious in this operation, and you really don't have the luxury of raising vitals for the first two patients.

All aneurysms have been treated! We're done with this patient!

Angie, didn't you listen to what I said? The final wave ALWAYS appear once everything else have been treated.

Yeah, that's what I thought :colbert:

The final wave likes to throw a bunch of aneurysms at once. To prevent them from bursting, we have to cut all of them before finish treating them. If you try to fully treat them before moving on, they WILL burst.

Total Aneurysm: 10 (there's one more barely visible on the left).

...The aneurysms have stopped forming. This patient should be alright now. You're working at a good pace. Please keep it up as we move to the next patient.

You got all that? Do you understand how aneurysms work now? I hope you do, because that operation is the warm up :unsmigghh:

A number of enlarged aneurysms have been confirmed... Please treat them in the same manner as the normal ones. But, you'll have to be careful... When the larger ones are excised, the blood vessels separate, making anastomosis more difficult. That means we'll have to use synthetic blood vessels to connect them.

Enlarged aneurysms (hereby called 3neurysms) are a lot more pain in the rear end than regular ones even though they're still much better than their NB version. They'll take longer to burst, but it can go to absurdly large sizes such that you'd need 5 full syringes to make them small enough for cutting. This aspect isn't present in NB.

They also has a special 3-pronged synthetic vessel, where we have to suture each of those prongs. In NB, we have to rotate the synthetic vessel before placing it so the orientation'll match up with the blood vessels. They'll also randomly start bleeding and tank our vitals. I'm very thankful this game doesn't follow that.

Total Aneurysm: 12

Treatment is complete for the area in view. ...But, just like the last patient, the aneurysms have formed over the entire brain. Let's use the magnification tool to find them. Hurry, Doctor!

You might notice that the picture quality is pretty throughout this operation. The reason for that is because I hosed up during the resizing process and I lost both the original pictures and footage :sweatdrop:

I'm too :effort: to recapture the screenshots and resizing them properly for hopefully obvious reasons, so :dealwithit:. The video's perfectly fine, though.

Total Aneurysm: 15

At least you get a better experience of how bad this operation is! :buddy:

Aneurysm Count: 17

Here's your look at the synthetic vessel. The suturing is even more finicky than usual.

Aneurysm Treated: 18

Treatment of all aneurysms is complete. But knowing what happened with the last patient... To be on the safe side, we should wait a moment or two.

Angie is learning! :toot:

For this part, we have two choices:
  • Let the 3neurysms burst, which we'll survive if we start this final wave with at least 70 vitals. This option will save time so you can go for the "under 7 minutes" bonus. However, it'll make us lose the "no bursts", so you're not getting an XS this way.
  • Use HT and treat the aneurysms leisurely. This gives you a fighting chance at getting XS, but the third patient will be much harder.
  • Neither. This method involves you going frantically back and forth until you suddenly realize that the 3neurysms just grow way too fast.

I'm sure you can see which option I've chosen.

Aneurysm Treated: 22

There are no more signs of aneurysms. All treatments are complete as well. You're on a roll! Let's keep it up for the next patient!

Pus has formed in the affected areas! ...Tumors have been confirmed as well.
We'll need to treat the tumors as well as the aneurysms. But, we can't ignore the pus and inflammations either... Let's do this, Doctor!

Yep. Now we're dealing with aneurysms AND tumors :suicide:

Aneurysm Treated: 24
Tumors Treated: 2

Treatment of this area is complete. But, I think we should perform a thorough search on this patient as well. Please look for other affected areas with the magnification tool.

At least there's no 3neurysms and small tumors this time. I can totally see NB heaping all of them at us simultaneously.

Aneurysm Treated: 26
Tumors Treated: 3

As usual, the aneurysms come in waves. However, I don't know if the tumors do too. I think the only operations so far where tumors come in waves are the ones where the drain broke.

Aneurysm Treated: 27
Tumors Treated: 4

Speaking of that operation, I probably could've made a tally of how many blood pools appear in that operation. Oh well.

Aneurysm Treated: 29
Tumors Treated: 5

Treatment of aneurysms and tumors is complete. We can't let our guard down, though. If this is anything like the last two patients, the possibility that more may form is--

--is pretty much guaranteed.

Aaand that's the usual "No Miss" bonus gone. Great. :sigh:

Anyway, this final stretch drains vitals very quickly, which is why some people prefer to use it here.

Aneurysm Treated: 33
Tumors Treated: 8

:woop:

Even with 33 aneurysms (:psyduck:), this is defintely much more enjoyable than that door operation, though.

And despite everything I said in this update, this operation is nowhere near top 5 hardest operations to pass. To XS is a different story, though :v:

How foolish. They were trying to hide their symptoms with medicine that hadn't even been finished. They must have known the risk of triggering GUILT...
All of these people just wanted to improve their skills as doctors...
Don't worry, Angie. I'm sure that once this is over, they'll be able to get themselves back on track.
Yes... But this won't end until we find the man who led them astray... Patrick Mercer.

Well that was a hard operation. I remember people saying aneurysms are unfair because they don't know that the aneurysms won't burst once you cut them. So they fully treat one aneurysm before moving on with the next.

I wonder how that people will fare in this operation? Seems like it'd be impossible, wouldn't it? Let's find out! :buddy:

I think it's the only time I ever got a C in this LP :v:

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 18, 2020

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Brain stuff always makes me uneasy, for some reason.

3 open brain surgeries in a row in 10 minutes is very impressive, Derrick

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jinkies.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whoever in Atlus made 3neurisms they can go gently caress themselves for real.

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013
I'm not super great at this series for all I love it, but I did have a period where I tried A- and S-ranking as much as I could on the normal difficulty. I had three holdouts, if I remember correctly: this one, the door, and one I think has yet to show up.

Aneurysms have always been my bane since the early chapters of UtK when I totally forgot stabilizer existed and tried to complete a multi-aneurysm operation with only gel for vitals upkeep. That sure is an inadvisable experience.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I can finally post a music link! :v:

...So you can't find any of their top management, huh? They've probably gone into hiding. Yeah, it's going well on our side, but we're having the same problem. Mercer isn't here. Right. Call me if anything turns up. *hangs up* Have the foxes all left their hole? Or...

He said he wouldn't talk to anyone but you... And I think he's one of the HOA doctors.

No points for guessing who it is.

...Me?
he looked African. Any chance you know him?
...It's Adel! Would it be alright if we talk to him alone for a few minutes?
That's fine, but he wasn't being very cooperative. Be careful, and let me know if you need us!

President Mercer... He isn't here. He's... looking for something...
Adel, the Hands of Asclepius has been ordered to cease all of its operations. And... I'd also like to make sure you get examined.
Dr. Tulba, there's a possibility that you've been infected with a new type of GUILT.
...There's something I need to say to you, Dr. Stiles.
...What is it, Adel?
It wasn't fair. I was born and raised in Costigar, where every day was a struggle to survive. I did everything in my power to become a doctor... but my skills were nothing compared to yours.
Adel, it's not a contest. There's no point in comparing us.
You don't understand! That's why I joined the Hands of Asclepius! My Healing Touch may be artificial... But so what!? Is that so wrong!?
Dr. Tulba, don't you realize how dangerous the new GUILT is?
You see, Dr. Stiles... President Mercer gave me what I wanted... He shared with me his secret.
...What is he talking about...?

Welp. Guess the game'll sweep "unfair opportunities" under the rug too.

The great silence--Sige--has changed me... I am a new creation!
...He's lost it!
No, Derek, it's the GUILT! It's affecting his mind! Be careful! Who knows what he'll do next!
Dr. Stiiiiles... Do you know what else the "Healing" Touch is good for...? It's also good for...

*Adel graps a scalpel*

:black101:

Stop it, Adel! We're doctors, not murderers!
HAHAHAHA! HA... ha...!? ...Haaaa! *activates HT*
*gasp* Dr. Stiles!
Ngh...! Adel! You have to snap out of it!
Tch... What is this... sudden... PAIN! It... hurts so much...! Aaaaaghhh! *drops the scalpel* Ugh... *collapses*

We're saved! :confuoot:

Adel!?
Dr. Stiles!
Don't worry; I'm alright! We need to focus on Adel! ...What is this!? Angie, we have to operate immediately!
Yes, Doctor!

Dr. Tulba's affected area is the right lung, and as expected, there are chiral reactions.
The Neo-GUILT, "Sige"...
You've heard of it, Professor Blackwell?
Yes, it's a strain of GUILT that was developed here. It causes pus and hematoceles in the organs. Its very existence is a testament to why GUILT research was internationally banned. And so far, no one has found any countermeasures to use against it.
That's insane...!
Angie... Please continue with the briefing.
Y-Yes. We have only one objective for this operation:
  • Eliminate the new type of GUILT.
...How are we supposed to accomplish that, though? We don't know anything about it...

The same way as usual: Trial and Error :black101:

Still, we have to cure him! Remember what Adel said when we left Costigar? He wanted to help people suffering from diseases and injuries... He wanted to restore his country! I won't let those desires just fade away like this!
...You're right, Doctor! Let's save Dr. Tulba!
I'll support you to the best of my ability.

Operation Video

Before we begin... Father, is there anything you can tell us about what we need to do?
Angie, Derek. Both of you have a wealth of experience with treating GUILT. Just believe in yourselves. I'll help you out as best as I can. Together, we'll find a way to treat it.
...Understood!

Just like always, make sure to top off vitals before treating all the initial wounds.

*The usual convulsion occurs*

Convulsions...! Chiral reaction is rising!
It's coming... Sige is going to reveal itself!

The convulsions have stopped... But multiple lacerations have formed!
Sige has arrived, but it's probably hidden within the organ. Find it with the ultrasound!
Understood! Doctor, use the ultrasound to search the area!

As we look for it, you'll hear a noise every time Sige bumps into the lung's edges. Vitals will drop by 1 every 2 bumps. The drain is negligible. For now.

Don't take too long to find Sige, though. While submerged, it'll create hematoceles. You REALLY don't want them to suddenly burst during the chaos that'll ensue after we expose Sige.

That shadow is Sige... Make an incision to force it to the surface.
Alright, go ahead, Doctor!

Wh-What did it do!? The operation field turned completely white!
Sige released the gases it was creating within the organ! ...We can't continue the procedure if we can't see what we're doing...
But, Father! We can't just leave Sige alone, either! We're going to have to--
Improvise! Derek! Grab that air compressor! Use it to disperse the gas!

If your DS mic isn't working properly, then you get to listen as Sige moves a lot faster and watch as the vitals quickly drain away without being able to do anything about it! :buddy:

If it's working, though, you'll find that you'd have to multitask as the best time to raise vitals is while blowing the gas away.

GUILT strain 6: Sige (Silence) :ironicat:

If Pempti is a test of endurance, then Sige is a test of speed. Befitting its effects, Sige acts very quickly. Sige operations ends quickly; either with its or our defeat.

Bythos is a test of both, by the way. That one's still the hardest GUILT.

Sige confirmed! The gas has completely cleared! Look! Sige is running rampant at a tremendous speed!
...The source of the gas seems to be the wound where Sige appeared from. First we should treat that wound with a synthetic membrane to stop the gas from leaking out again.
Right, but after that, how can we attack Sige if it's moving around so quickly...?
We'll need to find a way to stop its movement! Derek! Try using different tools to see if any of them are effective against it!

Sige move MUCH more quickly now, which means his vital drain is actually very dangerous. Not to mention that it'll create pus, which in turn create inflammations.

That gaping hole is going to release more gas if we let it be for too long. So let's just patch that up real quick before trying everything...

It stopped moving!?
It seems the effect of the antibiotic gel restrains Sige's movement... Alright, use the antibiotic gel to stop it from moving and then cut straight into the main body!
Understood! Doctor, use the scalpel!

That gel really does work for everything :v:. We don't HAVE TO use the gel, but good luck cutting Sige without it.

After we cut it, Sige will submerge again and repeat the process. It's very easy to immediately find it again, which is good because even with all the chaos when it's exposed, it's even more dangerous while submerged.

Eventually when we expose Sige the noise will be different. It's...more numerous :ohdear:

It's still releasing gas...! But something's different...
...It seems to have created a clone of itself.
A clone!? So it can just replicate itself!?
that's right. When it senses a threat to itself, it creates clones as a defense mechanism. I don't know what will happen if we touch the clones... But the fact remains that there is only one main body! Be cautious, and only attack the main one!

Yes, the clones hitting the lung's edges also drain our vitals. We REALLY want to go through this part as fast as possible.

If we cut the clones instead posted:

Vitals dropping! A large amount of pus has formed!
It's because we attacked the replica... The main body seems to have escaped. It looks like those replicas are actually collections of pus. If we touch them, the damage spreads!
Next time, we need to make sure that we don't attack the replicas!

This caues Sige to submerge again, take away 20 vitals, and create some pus. Doesn't sound like much, but remember that this is a damage race.

I'd use HT here, but for some reason the game won't accept my panicked star. This happened to me a lot in my NB/SO playthrough, but it's a first in this game.

*More convulsions*

It's the end of Sige...

Chiral reaction is negative! Treatment of Sige is complete! I'm so glad we were able to save Dr. Tulba! Well, Doctor, please treat the remaining wounds and move onto closing him up!

I don't know how I managed to survive that... :sweatdrop:

Anyway, all that's left is the usual closing up.

I hope... that Dr. Tulba will return to his usual self after this...
Your efforts won't be in vain. He'll go back to normal, Angie. At least, that's what I believe!
Professor Blackwell...

Obviously the gas count only includes the ones that occur because we didn't close the hole fast enough.

Getting the time limit should be easy. Well, easy as in "if you're past that time limit, you're probably dead."

Huh...? Dr. Stiles!? Nurse Thompson? ...! I--
Don't worry, Dr. Tulba. You're OK now.
We successfully extracted the GUILT from inside you. You may have slight memory loss, though...
...No, Dr. Stiles. I remember everything. I... I can't believe all the things I did to you...
It's alright. Your mind and body were being affected by GUILT.
...That's no excuse for what I did. Those feelings were already there... deep down inside me. I... don't deserve to be a doctor...
That isn't true, Dr. Tulba. We all have our weaknesses. But we overcome them, and move on. We have to look toward the future. So please, don't think such things. You can't give up now.

That's the closest this game has to a central theme.

...But, I don't have the Healing Touch anymore...
That's not what's important. You have the desire to save people. As long as you have that, you'll be a great doctor.
...You really think so?
...I do. We're doctors, because we don't give up on our patients, no matter what the circumstances. ...And I made you a promise that I would return you to Costigar as an accomplished surgeon. Adel... will you let me keep that promise...?
Dr. Stiles... Thank you. ...I'm sorry for everything...

This'll probably be more impactful if the game don't give us operations where Healing Touch is absolutely mandatory :colbert:

I'm glad it ended without any major chaos.

I guess the doctors' mass collapse isn't considered a major chaos :v:

Yes, that's a relief.
It's too bad they weren't able to arrest President Mayuzumi, but--

*Phone rings*

Oh, hold on, Dr. Chase. My cell is ringing... Hm, it's restricted... Hello...?

Mercer: "Heather..."

Father...! Where are you!?

Mercer: "...Don't ask that. You must know already. I can't let myself be taken in yet... Heather... I have a favor to ask of you."

...What are you talking about!?

Mercer: "If... If Tracy ever wakes up... Take good care of her for me. I'll be counting on you..." *hangs up*

Father...!? Father!!

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 18, 2020

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Shooting compressed air into an open wound :psyduck:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Only to disperse the gas pouring OUT of said wound. Gas which we then sensibly seal up inside the organ.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mzbundifund posted:

Only to disperse the gas pouring OUT of said wound. Gas which we then sensibly seal up inside the organ.

Like a balloon, and... something bad happens!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ah, yes. Adel said the most meme-y line!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Adel using the healing touch to try and stab Dereck kind of owns

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

rannum posted:

Adel using the healing touch to try and stab Dereck kind of owns

:agreed:

It made me wonder what two people with the Healing Touch trying to kill each other would look like from an outside perspective.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Kyrosiris posted:

It made me wonder what two people with the Healing Touch trying to kill each other would look like from an outside perspective.

Well, there is traditionally a place where doctors try to kill one another for ridiculous melodrama.

So it actually just looks like an entire episode of a soap opera, somehow.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Kyrosiris posted:

DBZ with surgeons is as close to an answer I can muster. I mean they already go at superhuman speeds with HT active and all that, no reason to think otherwise.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Kyrosiris posted:

it'd probably just look like ZA WORLD (also what adel's stabbing reminded me of)! :v:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
scalpel are so small , can we replace them with swords? or atleast a nice knife.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Kyrosiris posted:

Like an anime sword fight, complete with the requisite delayed reaction cut if someone pulls off a double Healing Touch.

Watsonia
Oct 3, 2013

1234567890num posted:

Huh...? Dr. Stiles!? Nurse Thompson? ...! I--
Don't worry, Dr. Tulba. You're OK now.
We successfully extracted the GUILT from inside you. You may have slight memory loss, though...
...No, Dr. Stiles. I remember everything. I... I can't believe all the things I did to you...
It's alright. Your mind and body were being affected by GUILT.
...That's no excuse for what I did. Those feelings were already there... deep down inside me. I... don't deserve to be a doctor...
That isn't true, Dr. Tulba. We all have our weaknesses. But we overcome them, and move on. We have to look toward the future. So please, don't think such things. You can't give up now.

That's the closest this game has to a central theme.

To be fair, I think UtK2 at least tried to ask questions about the motivation to be a doctor in conjunction with the responsibility of the Healing Touch, more so than UtK did aside from Hoffman's ominous warnings early in that game. Between Derek's breakdown post-Emilio and Adel being kind of the face of "well why WOULDN'T superspeed surgery powers be better on everyone," both of those things try to take a look at what happens when the superspeed surgery powers aren't enough. While Derek eventually recovers, the episode with Karl and Christine shows Adel immediately crumbles after the stuff the HOA immediately hands him fails, even with the superpowers, and there isn't really any indication he tries to improve from that.

1234567890num posted:

The GUILT in their body must be reacting violently to the serum!
Th-That can't be...! Our... Our serum! We've got no choice then. We need to operate... I... need... to... operate... My head... I-I can't see straight! I must... calm down... Nngh!
Dr. Tulba!? ...Doctor! He's in no condition to operate!

And then when the artificial Healing Touch [i]shockingly[i] turns out to be GUILT, the next part of that conversation I think tries to adress that theme again.

1234567890num posted:

...But, I don't have the Healing Touch anymore...
That's not what's important. You have the desire to save people. As long as you have that, you'll be a great doctor.
...You really think so?
...I do. We're doctors, because we don't give up on our patients, no matter what the circumstances. ...And I made you a promise that I would return you to Costigar as an accomplished surgeon. Adel... will you let me keep that promise...?
Dr. Stiles... Thank you. ...I'm sorry for everything...

TL;DR I feel like Adel was set up to be a Muggle foil to Derek to illustrate the responsibility of the Healing Touch and how you can still do good without or without it, but...you can argue the effectiveness of that as a theme or the game's writing quality overall. I feel a little silly writing this much when I wouldn't even rate the game's writing that highly, but this is kind of what I got out of a long road trip a while back where I replayed both DS games consecutively and intensely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Only a select few were even aware of this within Acropolis and the Hands of Asclepius. They dubbed these mutations, "Neo-GUILT," which is what I will refer to them as, for simplicity's sake. The fact that the HOA and Acropolis shared the knowledge of these four GUILTs clearly indicates that they were intent on researching the pathogens.

Councilman: "Yes, this is a dreadful state of affairs. We believed they were trying to find a cure for GUILT when in fact they were researching it."

It's important to note, however, that this research was not for the purpose of terrorism, but profit. By no means, of course, does that make them any less guilty of such a heinous crime.
We've already encountered three of the new strains, but we have little knowledge of the fourth. I can only hope that no one will fall victim to it.

Councilman: "The chances of that happening would decrease if we could apprehend its purveyors..."

If I may... The FBI has recently provided some intel that could lead to their whereabouts... As it turns out, one of Patrick Mercer's subsidiary companies owns a large plant in Palmwood. The facility is relatively new, and we've learned some startling things about it... Mercer was using it to furnish his medical supplies, mostly the type needed for epidemics or outbreaks. The nature of the materials being produced there justified the need for advanced security measures. It's basically a fortress...

Buckley might have shady morality, but he's drat good at his job.

If they fled there, that would certainly buy them enough time to continue any remaining research...
We've sent in request for the National Guard to take command of the infiltration. The regular police just aren't equipped to deal with this type of situation. Director Hoffman, I can almost guarantee you that your medical team's support will be solicited.
We offer it willingly. We must do everything we can to thwart Mercer's plans.

As soon as we land, the spearhead team will make for the area we've already secured! Dr. Stiles, my squad is in charge of escorting you!
Thank you. Angie, how are you holding up?
I'm fine, Doctor. We've been through situations like this before. I'm more worried about Heather...
No, I'm OK too. I'm the one who insisted on coming...
...Seems like you're shaping up to be an excellent surgical assistant.
Yeah, it was really brave of you to volunteer for this. Especially since-- Well... I was just so surprised to hear that you were Mercer's daughter...
I'm sorry for not letting you know earlier... I've tried to cut all my ties with him. He's a very self-centered and egotistical man. No matter what he says, he's only out for himself. ...Still, I felt like... I had to do something. For my mother's sake...

I think the Mercer's self-centeredness stems from Heather's bias since the game doesn't actually show any of it. There's that bit in 7-2, but that's more an issue of inability of both sides to communicate properly than anyone's self-centeredness.

...Heather, that's very admirable.
We'll be landing shortly! You guys in the med-team better hold on tight; it's gonna get rough!

Sergeant: "...Alright. Secure the area then, and let's keep moving!"

We haven't found any hostiles yet, but stay alert! ...Dr. Stiles, we've prepared a safety zone for your team. Please head on over.
Will do. Angie, Heather, let's be careful.
Right...
Don't worry about us, Doctor. We're both doing fine.
It may seem slow, but we're making good progress here. I'm sure it won't be long now before we find the targets.

Soldier: "...What the!?"

...!? You alright!?

Soldier: "I... stepped in something. It's some kind of gel... I don't know what it is. Maybe I should--"

...Try not to move. I'll have one of the doctors--

*Some sound*

Soldier: "Wait... What's that sound...?"

*Flash*

Soldier: "Aaaaaaaaghhh!"

*More flashes*

Sergeant: "Gaaaaaaaah!"

*Even more flashes*

...Fall back! All of you, get outta there! I saw a flash... I think it was an explosion!

Soldier: "...This is bad...! We can't move!"

drat! It's a trap! Doctor, I'm going to get those men out of there myself! Be ready to treat the wounded!

I could make a Star Wars joke here, but I won't. That franchise doesn't deserve it anymore :colbert:

Understood! Angie, let's get set up! We may be dealing with both external injuries and burn wounds!

There's no other external injuries in the next operation :ssh:

I'll make sure we're prepared!

We'll be treating three American soldiers who are suffering from serious burns. These injuries were caused by a trap that was set inside the plant.

Yep. This time it's another 5-minute marathon operation. Great. :shepicide:

Also, note how the translators specifically state "American" soldiers. Can't have the players thinking they're Japanese, can they? :911:

All three have very severe injuries... We can't waste any time.
There is one objective for the operation:
  • Treat the burns with the autografting procedure.
We'll have to operate on them in succession, Doctor. Let's stay focused.

Operation Video

Let's begin operating on the first patient. We're going to use the autografting procedure to obtain skin grafts again. We'll inject culture fluids into the patient's healthy skin to create them. Once we have the skin grafts, they can be transplanted onto the affected areas. But, you won't be able to apply the skin grafts directly onto the blackened skin. First, you'll have to inject the coolant into the black area, and excise the tissue with a scalpel. Now, let's use the yellow culture fluid to start creating skin grafts.

Once it's been excised, please place it over a burn. A single piece won't cover it, so you may need to apply several before the burn is sealed.[/i]

As a reminder, burns are special snowflakes in that they don't want normal membranes to be used on them and they require 4 of it instead of the usual 1. Unlike NB, these membranes don't share corners.

If a blood pool forms while you're placing them, then too bad! The placed membranes will fall off and the membrane you're currently holding will have to be dropped, causing a Miss. :sigh:

The burns will turn black after a while. Black burns won't create any blood pools, but it'll drain vitals much quicker. At least these burns aren't on an organ, so we don't have to worry about them corroding it.

Blackened burns need to have coolant injected into it, cut, and then removed. If the cutting isn't one soon enough after the injecting, the coolant will wear off and we'll have to inject it again.

You're making good time, Doctor. Let's begin treating the next patient, quickly!

This patient is suffering from burns on his knee. It's probably quite painful... Please treat the burns just as you did on the last patient.

As we go on, the burns get progressively worse and the space for skin grafting gets progressively smaller.

The biggest danger here is the vital drain caused by our scalpel. Get too carried away and you'll get...

:sweatdrop:

I showed this off in the bonus operation for 6-1, but the patient won't die when the vitals hit 0. The patient will die when the vitals drop BELOW 0.

This isn't normally very useful since you shouldn't let vitals go that far anyway, but it definitely saved me here :downs:

Treatment complete! Your speed is as impressive as ever! Let's get started on the next patient!

This patient has burns across his entire back... Since the burned area is extensive, please be careful.

The 4 blackened burns will actually drain vitals dangerously quickly here, so HT is pretty much necessary on Hard. On Easy and Normal, you can use it on the first patient to prevent the burns from worsening.

Otherwise, this final part is the same as the first two. If you can get though Pempti, Bythos, or Sige, you're definitely fast enough to get past this operation.

The bonus I missed is "Fewer than 12 blood pools". I don't know how the gently caress you're supposed to get that (without 100 hours of practice :effort: ).

I hope so... But, I'm kinda worried; its' so quiet here...
...Director Hoffman, it looks like they've confirmed the presence of a laboratory in the central area. Derek is OK, and his team should be entering there shortly.
Hm. We'll hope for the best...
Dr. Chase, do you have that package from our research department ready?
Yes, I'll take it to Derek as soon as our military escort gets here!
I don't know what Mercer's plans are... But we'll make sure that no GUILT escapes this facility.