Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Worth noting is that the soundtrack for this game is fantastic. I'm so hype for this LP, TC has a special place in my heart :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The "swipe up to drain" thing starts to really suck on later missions, especially since you don't have the convenient tool-switching nunchuck off the Wii.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

At least this one is unique. Some of the later ones are just annoying as all gently caress.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's more important to us because we don't have magic defibrillators

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Remember kids if you focus really, really hard you too can stop time.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Whenever I describe TC to people I just say "it's a surgery simulation game that also has boss fights" :allears:

Man we sure solved that civil war situation quickly though!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Derek shows up for a few days, then leaves while taking the only other doctor with him to America. What a dick.

sounds about right actually :911:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The cybernetic wireframe heart version is much cooler yes.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

You aren't penalized for using the Healing Touch in this game?

Depends on the mission iirc

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

As much as UtA1 shits on Derrick, Angie is no saint either.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never did figure out a good way to do grafts quickly. Besides the obvious :gitgud: go fast.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

OP is seriously not kidding about the two stylus thing, some of the later operations borderline require it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

This part is so loving stupid. You got a liver from the goddamn center where people take people with GUILT and are gonna shove it into this poor kid. Like what the gently caress were you thinking would happen??

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I really don't get where Angie gets this from. I mean okay yeah she's obviously Up To Something™ but there is no way Angie would know that.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I cannot imagine having people use flash photography to such a degree can be sterile.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think it was this operation that made me flip from normal to easy. Cause gently caress off with this, game.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

He's just here to tell Derek not to kindle the bonfire in the Kiln of the First Flame

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

First of all, Dr. Stiles has had his head in the clouds lately! Being called a master surgeon, getting pampered and praised by everyone around him...! Even making media interviews and this ridiculous partnership with Acropolis his first priority! Have you forgotten what's most important about your job, Dr. Stiles!? For us to... to...! That would NEVER happen!

Literally nothing of this is true, but go off I guess.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They're trying to play up the drama like what happened in TC:UtK/SO but there Derek did actually gently caress up. Here he really didn't, at all.
And Caduceus did need the good press, PR is sadly an important part in doctorin', so I don't know why Angie is being such an rear end. Admittedly the comment is a bit much; "HEY DOCTOR WHEN ARE YOU AND YOUR NURSE ASSISTANT GONNA GET HITCHED???" is kinda gross, but her response is clearly aimed at Derek not Tyler

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah this part of the game is harsh :(

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Also Angie where was this good poo poo when he decided on the triage order? You coulda spoke up. She just went "are you sure?" instead of standing her ground if this is how she felt. This is some hindsight 20/20 poo poo.

Also can we talk about how everybody just expects Derek to resolve impossible situations? Like the funny thing is that the game over screens emphasize that few other people can perform GUILT surgeries, most of the members of Caduceus cannot perform them. Like sure Derek comes through time and time again but they're all being hella reliant on that. You kinda lose the right to complain when you put that much pressure on the guy and he cannot resolve an impossible situation which is, in fact, impossible.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 3, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Angie could also be written as lashing out because of her father's work on GUILT, feeling guilty for Emelio's death sort of by proxy. It'd be a humanizing moment where she felt culpable for the sins of her father even though it's in no way her fault.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 4, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Does it though? Like you can't save everybody and a doctor with a messiah complex is just as much of a risk to patients as a vainglorious one. There's a reason the oath is "do no harm". I'm kinda surprised the games don't go into here cause it's an evergreen wellspring of drama for the genre.
I really don't know what the success rate for Caduceus is in this sci-fi future, but it must be hella good for poo poo like this to weigh on people's minds.

I think they're trying to say that Derek is just collapsing from his inability to meet everyone's expectations, but like...I dunno. Everyone keeps talking about there being a physical cost to the Healing Touch, not the crushing expectations that comes with it. Or at least that's how I read it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I guess it's just when every operation is against some super virulent bioweapon that you have to operate on while walking on a tightrope and juggling knives I kinda expect you'd learn to cut your losses.
Point about the personal investment though, that is true.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I guess this does count as a lull in the game, by Atlus' standards at least.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Derek I know you're down in the dumps but come on my dude.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Psion posted:

After thinking about this, I believe Derek literally never losing a patient in surgery like that until now is how the writers intended the scene. Totally implausible, absolutely, but even when the player fails an operation some other doctor steps in - the patient is saved. Here, though, straight up none of that. So it's crushing him way harder than "seems realistic" to what we know.

and the distinction wasn't really sold very well so the natural reader response is ???

This is exactly my problem yeah

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

show of hands, who is surprised he collapsed?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seriously people have so much goddamn expectations from Derek jesus.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Well I dunno about that, I enjoyed UtK2. I think it's strictly better than New Blood fwiw

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah I like this resolution. I think this whole arc could be executed better but at least it ends on a high note.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Man the HoA works loving fast if they're already getting people to treat mutated GUILT

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Those vitals at 2 were just...geez.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think it's more of a question of fundamental morality. Like you are surgically implanting a tracking device on a person's body. In a device he needs to live no less. Kinda hosed up!
It'd be better if the writing addressed this more cause that's actually an interesting moral dilemma.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah Pempti is a pain in the loving rear end in this game. Switching between two cores is the loving worst and you can't just deal with one of them individually or else it goes apeshit.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

IIRC the villain being a relative of Adam never goes anywhere, which is a shame. It woulda been nice to have some clarification on their motives. Delphi's motives weren't ever really explained, besides being a death cult and causing the Saryn Gas Attack as a test for GUILT (not trolling)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Your vitals actually hit 0 for a second holy poo poo

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

God I completely forgot about this guy. I think he appears in literally three scenes in this game, not counting the X missions.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think Delphi in UtK was sinister because they were Aum Shinrikyu except with anime science labs all over so that's why they got away with it. Sorta how every western FPS has some radical fundamentalist force in some [vaguely] middle eastern country as an antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I can't get over how much more 4 Lions got between the games. Kind of makes sense I guess but still.

"You gave GUILT to a sheep!?" --head Delphi dude, probably