Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SHISHKABOB posted:

When I was a little kid I almost cried when Luke was kicking Vader's rear end and then cuts off his arm, all the way through to when he throws away his lightsaber. It's really good. Then they cut to some bullshit with ewoks but whatever.

ewoks were bloodthirsty savages we were about to literally eat the good guys. everyone forgets that, because they are bloodthirsty teddy bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This is pretty fun,

https://youtu.be/PzRveOGMflo

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

RFC2324 posted:

ewoks were bloodthirsty savages we were about to literally eat the good guys. everyone forgets that, because they are bloodthirsty teddy bears

they were a racist cliche, further dehumanized

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

they were a racist cliche, further dehumanized

DJ KAL-E
WE DA BEST DRUM MUSIC

YUB YUB UP IN THA CLUB

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
ewok you talkin bout willis?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They all suck and the fans are even worse.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

They all suck and the fans are even worse.

but enough about your posts

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all
Return of the Jedi is way worse then the prequels, apart from the Vader/emperor/Luke bits

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't think you can call it worse than Phantom Menace.
It's the worst of the original trilogy, but it's totally not worse than THAT catastrophe.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
What is the name of the big asteroid worm and how many books have been written about it? How many spaceships does it have to eat daily? How does it gently caress? If it met a sarlacc do you think they would be friends?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Beef City posted:

I don't think you can call it worse than Phantom Menace.
It's the worst of the original trilogy, but it's totally not worse than THAT catastrophe.

ROTJ’s problems are part of the structure of the movie, TPM’s problems are mostly in execution. Also nothing in TPM is as bad as Jedi Rocks

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I just now got that the "sacred Jedi texts" represented the EU.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Because christ, if TLJ needed anything it was fourth wall breaking, right?

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit
someone has to explain rise of skywalker before this thread archives god drat it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Once there was a mighty star named Jerry. He flew all over in his Dutch thunderbird. One day Jerry sucked a dick and alien mushrooms fell from the sky. They say if you eat a can of jello pudding at midnight you can still hear him whisper, "giddyup"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
assuming you have a semi-healthy brain, once you hit puberty you realize that they suck and you wait until 2 AM after your parents are asleep so that you can watch one of the aliens movies

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
4 is an incredible little self contained children’s space adventure film and is a delight

5 is the best of the bunch and did so much heavy lifting for the world building that would eventually allow SW to become this all encompassing mega franchise

6 is a delightful 80s space and fantasy type deal but is the weakest of the 3. Ok ending that wraps everything up in a bow. Endor stuff really blows IMO.

1 is hot garbage and should be shitcanned to the dustbin of history. There is, however, no way to relay the sheer fuckin excitement of being a Star Wars obsessed 12 year old in phone line internet era and learning that they’re doing another star war.

2 is better than 1 but is trash. It does work as part of machete order.

3 is the best of the prequels as 6 is the worst of the OG. It like 2 also functions best as a flashback before watching ROTJ.

7 is like someone gave an AI the prompt of “write a direct sequel to ROTJ almost 40 years later.” It however was honestly as good as it was going to ever be and accomplished the primary objective of washing the bad prequel taste out.

8 is a disaster because the director thought it would be clever to intentionally make a Star War that Star Wars fans would hate. He literally started the film with a yo momma joke that felt like Disney’s MCU and SW streams were crossed. It also has the worst plodding subplot of the entire franchise and gaping plot holes that could have been fixed with one line of dialogue if the director stopped huffing his own farts long enough to care. Luke’s fate is actually badass and an appropriate send off for the character. You’re not allowed to poo poo on it because some of the people who poo poo on it are bad people.

9 is contractual corporate damage control for 8 and ends one of the most beloved sagas of all time with a hearty wet fart. I don’t hate bringing it back to palps as much as some because he really is the overarching villain of the entire Skywalker thing and such a concept really could have been satisfying, but it’s clear this was a Hail Mary after 8 between bringing in JJ as a fixer and announcing the plot setup in loving Fortnite.

R1 is a baller rear end war movie that should be watched right before 4.

Solo is a waste of Donald Glover and basically killed the idea of character specific spinoff films but I would absolutely watch a Lando movie if he was in it, but not if Ron Howard (lmfao) directs.

TLDR: Star Wars is dead as a film franchise but maybe could be a good prestige TV thing until the mouse fucks it all up.

BONUS: Shadows of the Empire isn’t a movie but it was a book that they treated like a movie in the sense of toys and game and media tie ins and it basically was a stealth bridge to keep SW relevant. It was the SW equivalent of the Elvis 68 comeback special.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

bloodysabbath posted:

8 is a disaster because the director thought it would be clever to intentionally make a Star War that Star Wars fans would hate. He literally started the film with a yo momma joke that felt like Disney’s MCU and SW streams were crossed. It also has the worst plodding subplot of the entire franchise and gaping plot holes that could have been fixed with one line of dialogue if the director stopped huffing his own farts long enough to care. Luke’s fate is actually badass and an appropriate send off for the character. You’re not allowed to poo poo on it because some of the people who poo poo on it are bad people.

:jerkbag:

8 is an admirable mess because it's Rian Johnson sitting down everyone over the age of 12 and explaining why wrapping your identity up in Star Wars is a really bad loving idea. It's the best of the new trilogy.

No I have not seen 9. I don't need to, and neither do you.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

olives black posted:

:jerkbag:

8 is an admirable mess because it's Rian Johnson sitting down everyone over the age of 12 and explaining why wrapping your identity up in Star Wars is a really bad loving idea. It's the best of the new trilogy.

No I have not seen 9. I don't need to, and neither do you.

Agree to disagree. 15 years ago we could all have laughed at TLJ for being the dumpster fire it is and moved on, but as it was drafted as a chess piece in the tiresome, never ending online culture wars, we never stopped hearing the hottest of takes from the most insufferable of the always online. Like I shouldn’t have to pretend Rose Tico is a good character or Holdo couldn’t have just engaged droid/autopilot just because you won’t touch grass my guy.

9 was a turd but realistically they should have just let a single director do the whole trilogy so at least it would have been coherent from film to film. As it is you got one movie that wanted to be crowdpleasing nostalgia, one movie that wanted to sUbVeRt ExPeCtAtIoNs about crowdpleasing nostalgia, and one dud of a movie that was made in an absolute panic response to the previous director causing grievous harm to the future theatrical viability of a billion dollar franchise (again, there’s a reason that Star Wars is basically a TV thing now).

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
A little less mopey jedis and a little more gungan slapstick is all i ask

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin disney doesn't have the balls to give jar jar his own show

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
8 was fine except 7 introduced way too many characters with nothing to do, so they had to give Finn and Rose that meandering B story and I don't even remember what Poe was doing. Come to think of it I'm not sure what Poe was doing in 7 or 9 either. Same with Finn in 9. Oscar Isaac and John Boyega both rule but they didn't have much to do in those movies.

8 was definitely the best Kylo/Rey/Luke story, and also it handcuffed the writers of 9 enough that they were like "idk throw the emperor back in" which was pretty funny

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Someone fund my spinoff that's just a series of 45 minute long episodes of Chewie twisting the heads off a cavalcade of increasingly improbable aliens narrated by various reaction YouTubers.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

bloodysabbath posted:

future theatrical viability of a billion dollar franchise (again, there’s a reason that Star Wars is basically a TV thing now).
see i'd say ep 9 and solo were bigger issues, and then there was that whole pandemic thing which made everyone wonder if theatrical movies were dead

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

bloodysabbath posted:

Agree to disagree. 15 years ago we could all have laughed at TLJ for being the dumpster fire it is and moved on, but as it was drafted as a chess piece in the tiresome, never ending online culture wars, we never stopped hearing the hottest of takes from the most insufferable of the always online. Like I shouldn’t have to pretend Rose Tico is a good character or Holdo couldn’t have just engaged droid/autopilot just because you won’t touch grass my guy.

who is this "we"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Someone fund my spinoff that's just a series of 45 minute long episodes of Greedo adjusting to his new life inside a crazy chick's butthole.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

McGavin posted:

Someone fund my spinoff that's just a series of 45 minute long episodes of Greedo adjusting to his new life inside a crazy chick's butthole.

Wrong bounty hunter. Boba Fett was the one who fell into some crazy chick's butthole in ep6.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I want to binge 12 hours of blue elephant piano monster's timid adventures

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PizzaProwler posted:

Wrong bounty hunter. Boba Fett was the one who fell into some crazy chick's butthole in ep6.

you are about to learn some alternative lyrics to Nevermind

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Blue milk

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

bloodysabbath posted:

4 is an incredible little self contained children’s space adventure film and is a delight

5 is the best of the bunch and did so much heavy lifting for the world building that would eventually allow SW to become this all encompassing mega franchise

6 is a delightful 80s space and fantasy type deal but is the weakest of the 3. Ok ending that wraps everything up in a bow. Endor stuff really blows IMO.

1 is hot garbage and should be shitcanned to the dustbin of history. There is, however, no way to relay the sheer fuckin excitement of being a Star Wars obsessed 12 year old in phone line internet era and learning that they’re doing another star war.

3 is the best of the prequels as 6 is the worst of the OG. It like 2 also functions best as a flashback before watching ROTJ.

7 is like someone gave an AI the prompt of “write a direct sequel to ROTJ almost 40 years later.” It however was honestly as good as it was going to ever be and accomplished the primary objective of washing the bad prequel taste out.

9 is contractual corporate damage control for 8 and ends one of the most beloved sagas of all time with a hearty wet fart. I don’t hate bringing it back to palps as much as some because he really is the overarching villain of the entire Skywalker thing and such a concept really could have been satisfying, but it’s clear this was a Hail Mary after 8 between bringing in JJ as a fixer and announcing the plot setup in loving Fortnite.

Solo is a waste of Donald Glover and basically killed the idea of character specific spinoff films but I would absolutely watch a Lando movie if he was in it, but not if Ron Howard (lmfao) directs.

TLDR: Star Wars is dead as a film franchise but maybe could be a good prestige TV thing until the mouse fucks it all up.

BONUS: Shadows of the Empire isn’t a movie but it was a book that they treated like a movie in the sense of toys and game and media tie ins and it basically was a stealth bridge to keep SW relevant. It was the SW equivalent of the Elvis 68 comeback special.

Wow what a whole bunch of bad opinions about dumb stars wars

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Anyone remember that really complex Star Wars 4X game that had 3D starship battles, a thick-rear end manual and a thousand different submenus? I'm pretty sure that it was a pos but I think about it sometimes. Wish I could remember the name of it

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

olives black posted:

Anyone remember that really complex Star Wars 4X game that had 3D starship battles, a thick-rear end manual and a thousand different submenus? I'm pretty sure that it was a pos but I think about it sometimes. Wish I could remember the name of it

Star Wars Holiday Special for Amiga?

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ikanreed posted:

Star Wars Holiday Special for Amiga?

yeah that was it ty :)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

bloodysabbath posted:

drop the bits about the spin offs (they both suck) and this is a solid guide, also throw in mando S1 because it's genuinely good (s2 sucks balls, except the first episode)

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 19, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Icochet posted:

I want to binge 12 hours of blue elephant piano monster's timid adventures

Max Rebo died with Jabba's Barge, RIP.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sigher posted:

Max Rebo died with Jabba's Barge, RIP.

Fortunately he was seen in Book of Boba Fett as part of the band in Garsa's place and, brilliantly, is not shown to be there during the scene where it blows up lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

olives black posted:

Was it the one called Force Commander? I think they put out more than one strategy sorta game that was a massive pile.

EDIT:

Holy poo poo :laffo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZyECFhVayU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

bloodysabbath posted:

SW equivalent of the Elvis 68 comeback special.

Star Wars died on the toilet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Andor owns because instead of the Rebellion being just Good Guys, they're shown to be an international working class uprising, the thing real life evil people fear and hate.