Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Animal-Mother posted:

The expanded universe had a cool feel to it when the games Dark Forces and Jedi Knight came out but then the prequels happened and then everything else happened and maybe I just grew out of this sort of thing but the poo poo sucks now, imo.

I am as grumpy as this cartoon man but without a cool metal vest:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
assuming you have a semi-healthy brain, once you hit puberty you realize that they suck and you wait until 2 AM after your parents are asleep so that you can watch one of the aliens movies

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

bloodysabbath posted:

8 is a disaster because the director thought it would be clever to intentionally make a Star War that Star Wars fans would hate. He literally started the film with a yo momma joke that felt like Disney’s MCU and SW streams were crossed. It also has the worst plodding subplot of the entire franchise and gaping plot holes that could have been fixed with one line of dialogue if the director stopped huffing his own farts long enough to care. Luke’s fate is actually badass and an appropriate send off for the character. You’re not allowed to poo poo on it because some of the people who poo poo on it are bad people.

:jerkbag:

8 is an admirable mess because it's Rian Johnson sitting down everyone over the age of 12 and explaining why wrapping your identity up in Star Wars is a really bad loving idea. It's the best of the new trilogy.

No I have not seen 9. I don't need to, and neither do you.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

bloodysabbath posted:

Agree to disagree. 15 years ago we could all have laughed at TLJ for being the dumpster fire it is and moved on, but as it was drafted as a chess piece in the tiresome, never ending online culture wars, we never stopped hearing the hottest of takes from the most insufferable of the always online. Like I shouldn’t have to pretend Rose Tico is a good character or Holdo couldn’t have just engaged droid/autopilot just because you won’t touch grass my guy.

who is this "we"

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Anyone remember that really complex Star Wars 4X game that had 3D starship battles, a thick-rear end manual and a thousand different submenus? I'm pretty sure that it was a pos but I think about it sometimes. Wish I could remember the name of it

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

ikanreed posted:

Star Wars Holiday Special for Amiga?

yeah that was it ty :)

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Elentor posted:

Are you thinking of Star Wars Rebellion? It had a gigantic manual detailing all the franchise ships plus a bunch of others from the expanded universe.

Yeah, that was it! I wonder if it holds up today. I remember the manual being a treat to read.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Elentor posted:

Sort of. It was always janky even at its time but it works today more or less the same way it worked back then. It didn't age like Goldeneye having its textures suddenly going from acceptable to fugly, and there were mods at some point (not sure how active the community is today or if they even exist) that improved the battle graphics. It retained a fanbase because, despite it being a very weird game, its spiritual successors did not really offer anything close to it and diverged a lot.

It's also a peak case of the kind of game that if you liked then, odds you'll like it now, because it bombed super hard critically. It sold well because it had the name Star Wars and most SW games of that era were good games for all kinds of consumers but SW:R requires a very specific mindset for someone to enjoy and most people did not.

It deffo strikes me as the sort of game that mainstream critics at the time would have been cranky about because most of them are and continue to be barely sentient unofficial PR shills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

SRQ posted:

a politician gets access to infinite cosmic power, and then rapes the concept of life itself. The result tries to kill him, succeeds, but because he cloned himself he's fine. Proceeds to try and corrupt his granddaughter and kinda-sorta grandson and they both try to kill him too.

nothing and nobody outside of this family feud matters.

sounds accurate

these movies are poo poo from a butt