Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think you have to go back in history to the 19th century really. mexico was long ruled by these hacienda landlords who were like mega-super-duper landlords controlling swathes of the country, eventually wiped out by two revolutions, first against a french-backed monarchy and the second during the early 20th century. revolutionaries and bandits could often be the same people and were like robin hood figures then. land reform was also the main issue.

the PRI, originally a left-wing nationalist sort of party, ruled mexico for the rest of the 20th century and developed a vertically-integrated clientistic form of government. like developmental state capitalism, for most of it, with a turn toward neoliberalism later. this was of course corrupt and the government made deals with the drug cartels -- the guadalajara cartel was the big kahuna back then -- to keep things steady. so when the PAN came into power in 2000 the whole situation started coming unglued but really with the unraveling and dislocation of the old PRI patronage networks. we're talking governors, mayors, police, the local utility company, whatever. who is what and who was paying who, which is bound up in the whole political situation is in flux and so is the corruption.

i am not mexican although i have some relatives with ties there, but anyways i think part of it is also rooting for the local bad boys against the rival bad boys moving into the turf since it started looking like a free for all out there. like if you want to gently caress with a rival cartel your crew rolls in deep and just shoots up the town, that kind of thing. or they throw a grenade in a nightclub, or roll a few severed heads onto the dance floor to freak people out. and the local cartel becomes the "defender" of the people there. regional identities play into it: sinaloa obviously. the CJNG from jalisco which i think absorbed la familia michoacana... zetas in the east...

and the criminal economy is a thing, right? like even if you're not involved, maybe your cousin is, in some places. like in texas on the border people don't openly talk about it but everyone knows someone who is kinda, you know, he moves a little weed or whatever. the only difference is the scale where he's moving a few pounds a month but that's actually pretty small

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 15:04 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylersayten
Mar 20, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
People should go watch that movie Sicario. The OG cartel boss at the end even admits they learned these brutal tactics and acquired these weapons from America aka the alphabet agencies

And then Mexico got mad at the movie for being right about the violence in cuidad Juarez / El Paso

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

how do you think this happened? just by being local entities that can spread money around their heartlands in a way the central state might not?

yeah, los sinaloenses operate a more complete patronage network than, say, the zetas. they're a significant source of employment in the state and will just give handouts to old ladies, etc. it's a PR war as much as anything, nobody in culiacan is going to start a mass movement against them because they're popular

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also a difference between like hubs or headquarters and the border.

There is straight mass killings on the border because it's a literal war for territory and there's money on the line. People that live in the turf-war trafficking towns hate the cartels generally, people elsewhere have different relationship.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Frijolero posted:

Good

This is being portrayed as an embarrassment, but AMLO firmly said that his office OK'd it and that it was the right decision. I would agree because I rather have Chapo's failson running around, likely to get caught later, than have a bloodbath on my hands.

why ok his capture in the first place then. also despite haing full control of congress he hasnt done anything cool like legalize pot or gay marriage. its been a big disappointment for me so far

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it does feel legislatively sluggish. i know he promised to stop the privatization slide of pemex, has anything happened there?

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

babypolis posted:

why ok his capture in the first place then. also despite haing full control of congress he hasnt done anything cool like legalize pot or gay marriage. its been a big disappointment for me so far

I don't know. I wish he had already, but then again, and I know we live in dystopia speedrun, but it hasn't even been a year since they took power. I'm still keeping a wait-and-see mentality with him.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also, detaining and prosecuting cartel leaders is always a viable strategy. You can't go to war with them, but there still needs to be high-level takedowns.

Where AMLO is good is his insistence that low-level drug users and pushers should not be criminalized and detained forever. Dunno how well he's done that, but it's the correct take.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i find the cartels and their ambiguous relationship with centres of "legitimate" power so loving interesting, so many good posts itt

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
President Walls is gonna fix Mexico any time guys. We'll send some more spooks down there and I'm sure everything will turn out great

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

tylersayten posted:

People should go watch that movie Sicario. The OG cartel boss at the end even admits they learned these brutal tactics and acquired these weapons from America aka the alphabet agencies

And then Mexico got mad at the movie for being right about the violence in cuidad Juarez / El Paso
yeah spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen it: that movie is basically a way of explaining how / the big reveal is the old system was "better" from the perspective of the top-state people in the U.S. because one big cartel is better than a bunch of a smaller ones fighting each other

animist
Aug 28, 2018

gh0stpinballa posted:

i find the cartels and their ambiguous relationship with centres of "legitimate" power so loving interesting, so many good posts itt

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

Well, I guess that makes all the mass killings worth it.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Alhazred posted:

in which alhazred appears to think being interested in a thing = thinking a thing is good, huge baby brain vibes from alhazred here

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Can anyone recommend a book that would give me a good overview of Mexican history?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

twoday posted:

Can anyone recommend a book that would give me a good overview of Mexican history?

No but the Revolutions podcast wrapped up it's Mexican Revolution podcast last year. It was pretty good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

in which alhazred appears to think being interested in a thing = thinking a thing is good, huge baby brain vibes from alhazred here

So many people got killed so you could read good posts in this thread. I'm just glad they didn't die in vain.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alhazred posted:

So many people got killed so you could read good posts in this thread. I'm just glad they didn't die in vain.

the blood is on your hands. you are also reading the post in this thread.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

how amny people had to die for you to make that burn you sick gently caress

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

No but the Revolutions podcast wrapped up it's Mexican Revolution podcast last year. It was pretty good.

I'll second this, it really was eye opening. Porfirio Diaz's line about Mexico being "so far from God, so close to the United States" feels a million percent accurate

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Alhazred posted:

this is amazing

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twoday posted:

I would also recommend the documentary Patria on Netflix covering the War of Reform and also smash & grab attempt by the french with executed failson Maximilian.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Alhazred posted:

*gladiator scene* are you not interested?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alhazred posted:

we have a whole other forum for brain damaged liberal posting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

etalian posted:

I would also recommend the documentary Patria on Netflix covering the War of Reform and also smash & grab attempt by the french with executed failson Maximilian.

thanks for this, these years are amazing and almost totally forgotten outside mexico

Alhazred posted:

jajajajajajaja

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i say swears online posted:

thanks for this, these years are amazing and almost totally forgotten outside mexico

jajajajajajaja

Patria is really great compact documentary and visits to historical sites such as the spot where Maximilian made his last stand.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Cool, thanks! Podcasts and documentaries are great, I will check that stuff out. I love history but in the case of Mexico most of what I know is pre-Columbian, and I want to fill that 500 year gap in my knowledge

Is there anything someone can recommend that would catch me up on the last few decades and what’s going on in the present day?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the overarching theme since the mid-80's is the insatiable demand for cocaine in the US, the rise of competing, violent cartels, the PRI's turn toward neoliberalism, and their corresponding election losses to the catholic right and a revitalized working-class left. i also would like a good primer, since what i know feels like a giant jumble of second-hand accounts from friends

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
how does ethnicity function in mexico? it seems like there's a significant segment of the population that are still phenotypically european but mexicans seem to have a cohesive sense of national identity that doesn't involve the massive chip on their shoulder that argentinains have

from what i understand spaniards mistreating criollos is part of what precipitated the mexican revolution?

also i guess they had an indigenous president or PM in the mid 19th century

cargo cult has issued a correction as of 06:14 on Oct 23, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i know people in the desert states (rural areas northwest of monterrey in coahuila who tout spanish and surprisingly jewish heritage) that refer to southern mexicans and indiginos as "oompa loompas", so,

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
in my limited experience it's completely the same as American racism: entirely based on skin color and nonsensical family histories, but largely not much different than normal classism unless you meet a neonazi of some flavor

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

just calculate where you are on the racism grid

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm the child doing progressively difficult labor

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50299562

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Alhazred posted:

power grows from the opening post of a thread

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40626923-el-norte

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

they killed some folks

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The LeBarons are murderous sex freaks
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/fundamentalist-mormon-polygamist-under-investigation-for-murder-in-mexico-124379/

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ahahahaha, hell yes. If the story was only some milquetoast white people getting blasted it would have been hella boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Shoutout to the noble cartels for ridding a nice town of loathsome gringo cultists