Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

bomb posted:

I forgot something on my list:
Nutritional Yeast fuckin owns bones

Nutritional yeast is extremely good and I only found out why through vegan meals but it is absolutely poo poo for cheese substitutes despite what online recipes would have you believe. If you can't stop eating cheese then just eat cheese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Going to buy ribs and BBQ sauce

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bomb posted:

I forgot something on my list:
Nutritional Yeast fuckin owns bones

NY Is hands down my favorite popcorn topping

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

1redflag posted:

NY Is hands down my favorite popcorn topping

it's so good for that

I don't know what else to use it for, though

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

yeah regular baby rays no poo poo

also pappa rays, sour baby ray's, umami grandpappy ray's, etc etc

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm still waiting to here what BBQ nerds think is an acceptable sauce to buy

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Who What Now posted:

Store brand tomato sauce. Straight from the tiny can.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Ketchup

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Anchovy filets or paste are great umami boosters.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who What Now posted:

None.
They literally make their own or at the very least heavily doctor store bought sauces.
No "bbq nerd" buys a premade bbq sauce.

Like most folks will use something (and don't quote me exactly here, alright?) like a combination of tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, various spices and other ingredients to create their own thing. These will be more heavily based on one flavor profile or another on preference, but like hell are you gonna see 'serious' bbq people using sweet loving baby rays

And that would be the 'serious bbq' people that even allow sauce to be used. Most use rubs.

e: I should also tell you that I am not a serious BBQ guy but have both made my own sauces and also use sweet baby rays just based on whatever the hell I feel like making. So. Yep.
ee: Stubb's is also a real good brand of store bought sauce. Tends to be a little tangier, so if you're looking for a different flavor profile than "CORN SYRUP INDULGENCE" give that a shot.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 21, 2019

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
World Harbors fajita sauce. Amazing for dipping or fajitas.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Lemon and fresh tarragon to brine chicken before grilling.

Not marinade. Brine.

The more tarragon the better. I haven't really hit a thresh hold where the tarragon takes over in this process.

I dunno what it is about that flavor profile but holy smokes that sweet grassy herbal flavor, combined with what brining does to even cheap as poo poo chicken drumsticks on a grill? poo poo that's better than any BBQ sauce or whatever I've done for them. If you aren't brining chicken you're fuckin up for your whole drat family.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 21, 2019

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

None.
They literally make their own or at the very least heavily doctor store bought sauces.

Like most folks will use something (and don't quote me exactly here, alright?) like a combination of tomato paste, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, various spices and other ingredients to create their own thing. These will be more heavily based on one flavor profile or another on preference, but like hell are you gonna see 'serious' bbq people using sweet loving baby rays

And that would be the 'serious bbq' people that even allow sauce to be used. Most use rubs.

e: I should also tell you that I am not a serious BBQ guy but have both made my own sauces and also use sweet baby rays just based on whatever the hell I feel like making. So. Yep.
ee: Stubb's is also a real good brand of store bought sauce. Tends to be a little tangier, so if you're looking for a different flavor profile than "CORN SYRUP INDULGENCE" give that a shot.

I meant SO DEMANDING specifically, because he was the one being all hoity toity about SBR being for babies for whom salt is too spicy.

And anyone who thinks that I'm gonna boil my own tomatoes and molasses and poo poo every time I feel like adding a little something to a sandwich can gently caress right off.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Who What Now posted:

If you're going to troll about Barbecue you need to pretend its a synonym for grilling out.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I was just sayin' you asked about BBQ nerds and that's the general take on it.
Honestly putting the sauce together if you do it yourself probably takes like 15-30 minutes or whatever unless you're being super pedantic about it and like I said, if you want to use store bought poo poo because you need a fast lunch that's totally the way to go.
But if you're putting on a weekend thing for folks that's how most "serious" people are going to look at it.

You could also make a batch of sauce once and just keep it in squeeze bottles. They sell them for like a buck on amazon and that poo poo keeps for a couple weeks unless you're using stock or something in the sauce. So boom there you go. Out-sauce-nerded.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 21, 2019

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Fine, BBQ sauce nerds, then. I didn't think I needed to append that in the sauce thread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
please cite sauces

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm fond of good ol' reliable Sriracha. Are there better sauces? Of course! But you go to a restaurant, you see a bottle of hot sauce and you don't know about it, ehhh, don't want to potentially ruin this nice food... but Sriracha? Ah, my old friend. Come hither.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Mozi posted:

please cite sauces

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I'm fond of good ol' reliable Sriracha. Are there better sauces? Of course! But you go to a restaurant, you see a bottle of hot sauce and you don't know about it, ehhh, don't want to potentially ruin this nice food... but Sriracha? Ah, my old friend. Come hither.

Sriracha is adult ketchup

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Doctor Reynolds posted:

on this subject, huy fong's chili garlic sauce is the way better version of sriracha in a less convenient container

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

foonykins posted:

'nuff said.

I put that stuff in my mashed potatoes. It's great.

Also,

And

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Go to the mexican market and buy Chile de Arbol. Put in in when you make salsa or whatever. Good stuff.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
All my tomatoes ripened at the same time so I have a few kg of red honkers to deal with. Gonna smoke em and put em in the slow cooker with a poo poo ton of smoked paprika, thyme, salt and pepper and let it simmer for a day or so. Hopefully gonna be pizza/pasta sauce for days.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I'm going to make tomato soup this week, to serve as a condiment on the winter's grilled cheese sandwiches

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I neglected cumin in my 20s cause I thought it tasted to “earthy”. Now I embrace eating dirt

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

1redflag posted:

I neglected cumin in my 20s cause I thought it tasted to “earthy”. Now I embrace eating dirt

Smoked paprika, cumin, and worschestshire sauce makes poo poo happen

Sambal oelek

Simple syrup with brown sugar, lemon/apple cider vinegar

Apple cider vinegar

The humble but hard working soy sauce is a king in my kitchen

Trader Joe's brand habanero sauce

Tobasco (fight me)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

My dick (cum)

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

1redflag posted:

I neglected cumin in my 20s cause I thought it tasted to "earthy". Now I embrace eating dirt

Are you prrregante?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Big Beef City posted:

None.

:agreed:

Stubbs is by far and away the best store-bought BBQ sauce. Sweet baby rays is literally pure corn-syrup: for comparison, SBR is 16g sugar for 2 tbs, pure corn syrup is also 15g sugar for 2 tbls. stubbs is 1/4th of that

there's some weird cultish poo poo over some coastal nerds proclaiming 24/7 love of SBR trying to cosplay as a simpleton 'keeping it real' midwesterner and it's weird as hell because it's pretty bad and embarrassing when you can just by Stubbs instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxTEoseZak

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
My unmedicated depression Lexington sauce was a bottle of Cattlemen's from Walmart mixed with cider vinegar until it was kinda okay. :geno:

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Neophyte posted:

My unmedicated depression Lexington sauce was a bottle of Cattlemen's from Walmart mixed with cider vinegar until it was kinda okay. :geno:

my unmedicated depression sauce was a 26er of vodka for a while

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Stubbs also makes a pretty good liquid smoke.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Walrus posted:

and this is a huge fuckin pro tip, in your tomato sauce

i like to use anchovie filets for this. fish them out before they get a little too fishy

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The Management posted:

Pro tip: salt

if food tastes like it needs something, it usually just needs salt and/or acid

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I almost forgot about this.
There's these two dorks from Wisconsin that do a bunch of tailgate/grilling poo poo, for Packers and Badgers games. Things like that. The kind of guys the local news shows pick up but only might ever have their own local access show. They've been around forever.
Mad Dog and Merrill. Think..hawaiian shirts and brats and you're spot on. BUT they launched a line of products that's surprisingly good.
Below is an image of their lineup.
The #one sauce is actually a great bbq sauce. Think a cross of stubbs and sweet baby rays, but it actually has a texture to it. Most likely onions or other spices. The Grandma Hazel rub is FANTASTIC. It's all semi-generic stuff over-all, but for two local guys to put out good products that are easily accessible and GOOD for what they are? It's kinda neat.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone that thinks they need more condiments than ketchup and mayo is being pretentious and bougie

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Oregano on canned corned beef hash

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013
Preserved lemons are probably the most incredible low effort thing I've made: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html

They have to sit for a while to get good, so make some tonight and forget about them for a month.
I recommend putting them on everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Reynolds posted:

lee kum kee siracha is imo better than the rooster stuff. it's got some fish paste and other stuff in there, makes it just a bit more complex.