Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
what is up with that Bragg's soy product stuff? I bought it because I thought it would be a bit less salty than regular soy sauce but NOOOOOPE lol. tastes good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Imbroglio posted:

Preserved lemons are probably the most incredible low effort thing I've made: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/03/how-to-make-preserved-lemons.html

They have to sit for a while to get good, so make some tonight and forget about them for a month.
I recommend putting them on everything.

cool. everything like what?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Speaking of soy sauce Pearl River Bridge dark soy sauce is the best

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

The Walrus posted:

cool. everything like what?

They're basically lemon pickles, so anywhere you want acid probably. Alton Brown just did an episode of Good Eats on shakshuka he uses them in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi-9D-BfxUU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ok i bought ribs taking sauce suggestions

normally i just go through my kitchen and mix everything thats red and/or spicy together in a bowl

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

ok i bought ribs taking sauce suggestions

normally i just go through my kitchen and mix everything thats red and/or spicy together in a bowl

What you lookin' for goon? You want the vinegar base or the tomato base?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Literally A Person posted:

What you lookin' for goon? You want the vinegar base or the tomato base?
vinegar i think

tomato too spicy :(

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

numberoneposter posted:

vinegar i think

tomato too spicy :(

Start with a couple cups of apple cider vin, thicken it with just a bit of tomato paste. Add some more sweetness with brown sugar. Salt and pepper to taste. Throw in whatever herbs and aromatics you want. Chill 24hrs. BABOOM!!!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I marinaded a steak yesterday with the following:

Kirkland no salt seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil.

Highly recommend.

Minimal Ass-Piss
Jul 30, 2008
To add to the BBQ sauce discussion, my brother and I tried a new sauce earlier this year when we were making ribs. It's called Lillie's Q. It's not always easy to find, but in my opinion it's by far the best store bought BBQ sauce I've had. They have a few different varieties that I've tried. My favorite is the eastern North Carolina sauce. It's a mustard based sauce that has a really good flavor. They're other sauces are really good as well.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
It took me a while but I recently discovered that some meats are actually great with just salt and pepper. Like slow roasted pork shoulder for example. I don’t need no sauce with that. I just enjoy the rich meaty flavor. Same goes for roast chicken.

That being said, I love onions caramelized with dark beer. I’m thinking of turning it into a sauce. It has a great combination of sweet and bitter flavors.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This stuff is "ok to alright". My wife loves it. She's from outside of Toronto and they have a strangely large Portuguese population resulting in a few shops and bakeries and stuff. Anyway she requests her folks bring her this everytime they come to visit and we're out of our existing stock.

It's hotter than tobasco, thicker, and saltier, but there isn't much depth of flavor. It's just that. Thicker, hotter, saltier tobasco. Kinda.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Chinatown posted:

I marinaded a steak yesterday with the following:

Kirkland no salt seasoning
Worcestershire sauce
Soy sauce
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil.

Highly recommend.

That better have been one poo poo rear end steak. Otherwise why in god's name are you marinading steak? Don't marinade steak. I mean maybe if it's skirt.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i like that valentinas hot sauce is only like $3 or something for the huge bottle so i just literally use it as a chicken marinade

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

You marinate an item with a marinade

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

That better have been one poo poo rear end steak. Otherwise why in god's name are you marinading steak? Don't marinade steak. I mean maybe if it's skirt.

i usually dont but wanted to switch things up a bit

BITCH!!!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone that thinks they need more condiments than ketchup and mayo is being pretentious and bougie

Look at this big-city fancy dandy with his TWO condiments. Everyone knows you only need one:

If you need either of them on its own just separate them out by pouring mayochup through some cheesecloth.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 22, 2019

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Look at this big-city fancy dandy with his TWO condiments. Everyone knows you only need one!

If you need either of them on its own just separate them out by pouring mayochup through some cheesecloth.

Hey, man, mixing them takes like five seconds, and I need sauce now!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Start with a couple cups of apple cider vin, thicken it with just a bit of tomato paste. Add some more sweetness with brown sugar. Salt and pepper to taste. Throw in whatever herbs and aromatics you want. Chill 24hrs. BABOOM!!!

I like hot sauce in there and chili flakes and garlic powder and black pepper

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Universe Master posted:

Hey, man, mixing them takes like five seconds, and I need sauce now!
Tired of the two jar grind?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Look at this big-city fancy dandy with his TWO condiments. Everyone knows you only need one:

Loved it when everyone found out that Mayochup means poo poo-face in Cree

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking the other day it must be pretty easy to make a corn relish, is it quick too? can I just take some frozen corn and like, mix in some sugar and vinegar? give me some tips here. i don't want it to be runny or anything, just some nice sweet acidy corn basically

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Is that you

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It's my Lord and Savory.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Walrus posted:

I like hot sauce in there and chili flakes and garlic powder and black pepper

Of course but I was kind of counting that stuff as the aromatics and herbs.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Of course but I was kind of counting that stuff as the aromatics and herbs.

ya I was specifying the kind of aromatics and herbs I like!

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

kazr posted:

Smoked paprika, cumin, and worschestshire sauce makes poo poo happen

Sambal oelek

Simple syrup with brown sugar, lemon/apple cider vinegar

Apple cider vinegar

The humble but hard working soy sauce is a king in my kitchen

Trader Joe's brand habanero sauce

Tobasco (fight me)

all these things combined would probably make a good BBQ sauce

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Next time you make scrambled eggs, throw on a dash of Tony Cacherie’s and tell me your breakfast game didn’t just improve.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ammonium chloride liquorice sauce. Spruit sprööt :yum:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Better on ribs than SBR AND Stubbs I assume.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Outrail posted:

Better on ribs than SBR AND Stubbs I assume.

Sal ammoniac does go OK with meat, since it's, well, a salt. Not my cup of tea though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Jerry Cotton posted:

Sal ammoniac does go OK with meat, since it's, well, a salt. Not my cup of tea though.

But still better in tea than SBR or Stubbs, right?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Outrail posted:

But still better in tea than SBR or Stubbs, right?

Sure why not!

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Moo and Oink’s High 5

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Throw some fennel on that bitch. :chef:

I go through so much fennel seed at home it's ridiculous

Minimal rear end-Piss posted:

To add to the BBQ sauce discussion, my brother and I tried a new sauce earlier this year when we were making ribs. It's called Lillie's Q. It's not always easy to find, but in my opinion it's by far the best store bought BBQ sauce I've had. They have a few different varieties that I've tried. My favorite is the eastern North Carolina sauce. It's a mustard based sauce that has a really good flavor. They're other sauces are really good as well.

Yeah when I found that Lillie's Q gold sauce at whole foods I was all :eyepop: and it's really really good.

Imma throw in a plug for Marie Sharp's hot sauces. They're from Belize and you can order it on amazon for ridiculously inflated prices, or maybe a local hispanic or asian grocer might carry it. There's one near me that does. The green labeled one is a mild carrot-based sauce that I put on almost everything, and they have a grapefruit habanero that is wonderful.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

getting excited to cook ribs this weekend and some kinda spicy bbq sauce!!!!!! :yum:

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

I had a salmiak Fisherman's Friend once when in Norway and literally thought it was a joke like those vomit flavoured jelly beans. I have a pretty broad palate I think but I really can't understand how that tastes good.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

The bottle design had me thinking this was a shampoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
and the logo and appearance are motor oil all the way. just a really appetizing product all around.