Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm actually buying healing items this time around. Holy crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm actually buying healing items this time around. Holy crap

The drops feel oddly clustered. I bought a couple of revives, then ended up in an area where every right seemed to drop a few.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I bought them 10 minutes ago then learned a Brave Order for instant casting. The RPG penny pincher in me is sobbing.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
ok, am i actually locked out of buying fishing gear upgrades in time to do this red perch fishing quest? because i can't catch this stupid thing with the base rod

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

ok, am i actually locked out of buying fishing gear upgrades in time to do this red perch fishing quest? because i can't catch this stupid thing with the base rod

No, there's a guy in your camp who will sell you the gear. The forager kid.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

OddObserver posted:

The drops feel oddly clustered. I bought a couple of revives, then ended up in an area where every right seemed to drop a few.

I have something like 48 Curia balms and am still in the first big area

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

No, there's a guy in your camp who will sell you the gear. The forager kid.

I don't think I'm allowed to go back to the camp right now? Will I get the chance to before the quest times out?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

I don't think I'm allowed to go back to the camp right now? Will I get the chance to before the quest times out?

Oh, uh, I have no idea. I'm not up to any part where I'm locked out yet. I do know you can hand in some quests on different days, so seeing the ranking screen doesn't necessarily lock you out of a quest - there's a fetch quest in the camp which you can hand in the next morning and it looks like I got the same amount of points either way. On the other hand that fish one's about a birthday so it might get cancelled.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 24, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Does money get less tight later?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Does money get less tight later?

There's a lot to buy early on if you want to get all the available fishing upgrades and stuff immediately. Common mistakes:
- Don't forget to sell your Sepith Masses, because I went back to Trails for a while and totally forgot they're just there to sell compared to regular Sepith.
- Clothing store upgrades are nice but usually expensive and not strictly necessary.

If you really want to get some profit early on you can sell a couple of the quest reward consumables for a remarkable amount of money. Alternatively, have Rean or Yuna make stacks of 99 potato salad for about 2500 per run.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Once you've actually gotten into some dungeons and amassed some sepith masses your bank will look better. If you want some early equipment, then you have some items in your inventory (should be one that sells for 5k and one that sells for 10k) that while they might find use in a pinch someday, getting your early cash in would be better, imo.

Septium Vein and Kaleido MQ is also really good for getting your slots unlocked early, which then snowballs into more money later.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I like this smarter, more relaxed Rean a whole lot more than I did in CS 1 and 2. He's not stealing the show as much as I expected (yet??), and the interactions with people from the first two games are believable without him falling into angst mope mode like in the CS2 Epilogue. Good job.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Stelas posted:

I like this smarter, more relaxed Rean a whole lot more than I did in CS 1 and 2. He's not stealing the show as much as I expected (yet??), and the interactions with people from the first two games are believable without him falling into angst mope mode like in the CS2 Epilogue. Good job.

The kid lost one of his best friends, helped annex a country, and is on the verge of losing the rest of his friends. He is allowed to be unhappy about this.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BrightWing posted:

The kid lost one of his best friends, helped annex a country, and is on the verge of losing the rest of his friends. He is allowed to be unhappy about this.

True, but it comes off the back of an entire game of Rean talking about trusting his friends, the viewpoint massively on him as he does this to the detriment of the rest of the class, and picks up with him distancing himself from them by not opening up to them about any of it. It's a big backslide and it made me turn off the game for quite a while. Yeah, they're kids and it's not like they should beep boop their way through it, but after such a Rean-centric game it felt pretty 'ugggghhh'.

By the time the Epilogue ended I did feel like they'd redeemed that to some extent, and the transition from CS2 -> CS3 feels like it's picked up the rest of the slack, which is good. I'd still prefer if Yuna or Kurt were the 'official' MC to make things feel a bit different (probably blame Tokyo Xanadu for that) but I realize Rean's thoughts are kind of important and the Class 7 connections are being used well.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 25, 2019

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Uff at a certain optional duel at beginning of Chapter 2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Do characters not in the active party get full xp? I want to use these guest characters but I want to make sure the mandatory team is kept up to date.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I just got the VM deck and now the shopkeeper wants to duel, is that something I need to do now or can I do it on a later day?

I'm unsure about VM, I always liked how quick and simple Blade was.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
I do enjoy how Laura is still queen death of murder mountain. You don't have infinite cp in this game anymore though, so it's not quite as absurd.

Honestly, it feels like they actually tried to balance this game, which is a nice departure from the last two.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, there's less wild spikes, though if you're conservative with your CP most mini-bosses still vanish in a haze of S-Crafts.

For normal battles, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Yuna with as many debuff quartz on her as I can, in Gunner mode. (also known as the Fie Method But Slower)

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Personally I've been finding attack magic kind of weak? Like it doesn't deal enough damage to justify its cast time. While of course there are ways to mitigate that, it just seems kind of pointless to waste my time with otherwise. Which also ends up making things that save EP or recover EP pointless since I have no reason to use much EP.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I felt the same way at first. I think the idea is that you're supposed to try to line up a bunch of your turns in a row, then toss out the 'no cast time' order for a few turns, then cancel it and go back to a defensive stance.

I did end up springing for some boutique armor and that helped a ton in freeing up what I could do with my orders.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
The real star of the show has been +Break damage % stuff for me. When bosses spend all their time stunned they can't use their infuriating rear end in a top hat self heal + buffs shouts.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Starsnostars posted:

I just got the VM deck and now the shopkeeper wants to duel, is that something I need to do now or can I do it on a later day?

I'm unsure about VM, I always liked how quick and simple Blade was.

I want to know this too, I skipped a student on that first free day and Im worried I just lost out

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rage phases don't feel fun and are basically an S-Craft tax. I just had a boss rage out, then blow through 8 turns in a row tossing out delay spam until all my guys were dead.

BrightWing posted:

I want to know this too, I skipped a student on that first free day and Im worried I just lost out

I've definitely seen people you can challenge on multiple days, but that was as part of the same field trip.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stelas posted:

Rage phases don't feel fun and are basically an S-Craft tax. I just had a boss rage out, then blow through 8 turns in a row tossing out delay spam until all my guys were dead.

You're supposed to Break them out of it. Basically it adds counterplay to old "the boss just does their S-Craft and kills you instantly" by giving you a short chance to stop it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

What I find interesting is that I'm finding myself barely using S-crafts on bosses anymore except as finishers/turn bonus stealers because it's much, much more valuable to apply as much break damage as possible and to build up BP to issue and maintain Orders. Orders are basically the new S-crafts in terms of maintaining pressure.

I don't have a problem with boss rages because they're predictable to an extent and you have more than enough tools to deal with them, arguably too many depending on your current party.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
In my experiance on hard if a boss enrages thats it, reset. I might get one turn to pop an order if I dont have one up already but otherwise they just rip through me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I usually get 3 or so turns, also on Hard. I think the act of popping enrage tends to have a pretty long delay, relative to their other moves. Once you let them get an action they'll start killing you pretty fast though. Basically I pop Juna's Sledgehammer and go all-out at that point (or whoever else has good Orders for breaking). Of course, even if you only have one turn you could cast Absolute Reflect or something, couldn't you? Really the issue is that you have to reserve BP for it, but you always know it's coming.

Again, it's basically the same as bosses in previous games pulling an S-Craft out of their rear end and killing your entire team instantly, except they give you a little warning.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
Erosion of madness is my favorite boss music so far. Such a great piece ! (Don't google or youtube that if you don't want to be spoiled). I've always loved Falcom's music but it just keeps getting better. (And yes, I know another pretty good boss song is coming my way soon.)

I took 2 weeks off to play this game but it's beginning to look like I may not be able to finish it before they're over.

Death Priest fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 26, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about heading to the end of Chapter 1. I'm having trouble with battles. I get that you're supposed to pretty much use Brave Orders constantly, but I'm having difficulty keeping up the BP to do so

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you don't care about enemy data (because there are 4 goddamn enemy types in Ch. 1's final battle), you can just walk into it with full CP and burn the entire fight down with 200CP S-Crafts. Just pop Laura's Brave Order for +60% damage first if you want to be sure. There's a slight element of chance, since at least 2 of those enemies have freeze moves available to them, and can go first, but you can just heal it first if that happens.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about heading to the end of Chapter 1. I'm having trouble with battles. I get that you're supposed to pretty much use Brave Orders constantly, but I'm having difficulty keeping up the BP to do so
Keep up Balance Down with either a Detector craft or a Golden Sphere if you want that extra boost. Make sure you spam Crafts (especially those with +% unbalancing instead of just "Yes") constantly since Arts can't unbalance, and you're drowning in CP anyway (don't be afraid to use Gale). Don't bother with S-Crafts since they can't unbalance either and the extra damage isn't worth it.

Terper fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2019

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

I played through CS3 in Japanese for the Platinum so for the English release I'm going to try and get the Platinum in one Nightmare playthrough. I've already learned some new things that I was ignorant of in the Japanese version like being able to exchange for for high tier accessories at the cost of U material. Having Silver Charms and Evergreens early on has been a god send.

Here is the easiest way to break the games combat system.

Use Juna's order to Break all enemies and then use Kurt's order to keep everyone at the top of the turn order. Just keep getting BP from hitting broken enemies and keep refreshing Kurt's order so the enemies never get turns. It works even better if your main AOE attackers have Juna's starting master quartz equipped or at least in their sub slot.

Also never stay at 5 BP if you know you'll get another Brave Point with your next attack. Just use Rean's 1 BP attack up order so everyone gets a free 10 CP as well as a general attack up.

You can also make a evasion tank using Sirius (Kurt's starting master quartz) in combination with evade quartz and accessories like Evergreen. I think some characters like Fie have a innate evade chance as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yo, is Towa still cool? Cause I think Towa is still cool.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Is there a way to break the game like by having Fie with 100% physical evade of buffing Laura up so much she can kill a boss in a single hit? That was really enjoyable in 1 and 2

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Overbite posted:

Is there a way to break the game like by having Fie with 100% physical evade of buffing Laura up so much she can kill a boss in a single hit? That was really enjoyable in 1 and 2

Read two posts above yours.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That final (normal) fight in Chapter 1 ended up being great. A nail biter but in a good way. I'm getting into a groove with the Brave Orders now. They really fix the big problem of the early parts of these games where your options are just so limited.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
What is Altina good at? I just assumed that she'd be like Millium was in the previous games but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Starsnostars posted:

What is Altina good at? I just assumed that she'd be like Millium was in the previous games but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've been using her as a caster and getting some mileage out of her that way (with the Brave order that removes cast time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Starsnostars posted:

The Brave order that reflects all incoming damage. But she's definitely a caster. She has two lines and one only has one stop.