Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Do Arts ever become good? I remember nuking enemies in 2 with Emma, but with them not lowering the break gauge they don't seem worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Never been a fan in any CS game since they can't link attack and Crafts usually have more immediate effect. Brionac does magical damage anyway.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Does Cold Steel III have lost arts?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As far as I can tell, Arts in this game require a cast time, can be interrupted, can't trigger links and therefore generate no BP, and don't even really deal more damage than Crafts anyway. They seem really bad, which also hurts the caster characters. Although at least they have magical Crafts so you don't actually needs offensive arts to use their ATS anyway?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Ethiser posted:

Do Arts ever become good? I remember nuking enemies in 2 with Emma, but with them not lowering the break gauge they don't seem worth it.

At the very least they become good when using Rean's 2BP order and your guest party includes Emma, Alisa, and (later chapter 2 spoiler): Olivier Lenheim.

A lot comes down to whether you have the art element that particular enemy has weakness against, and some enemies do have very high DEF.
Also I am curious at how the 2nd-level bells work out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

OddObserver posted:

At the very least they become good when using Rean's 2BP order and your guest party includes Emma, Alisa, and (later chapter 2 spoiler): Olivier Lenheim.

A lot comes down to whether you have the art element that particular enemy has weakness against, and some enemies do have very high DEF.
Also I am curious at how the 2nd-level bells work out.

When you're using that Order you're not using any other Orders though, and many of them are completely broken.

I guess if you have a full mage team that might be worth it, but in most cases I feel like Juna or Kurt's orders would be better.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Ethiser posted:

They start out pretty poor but Divine Song combined with certain quartz/master quartz combos lets you do... things.

Let's just say against (Chapter 2 spoilers) Powered-up McBurn about 80% of the damage I inflicted was solely by Alisa spamming Arts.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 28, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Another decent time to pull out the insta-arts casting gimmick is the bonus fight in the school portion of Ch. 2, against Aurelia. Because you really, REALLY want to be conserving 200 CP in order to do a full power S-craft as soon as their HP hits a certain point.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Starsnostars posted:

What is Altina good at? I just assumed that she'd be like Millium was in the previous games but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I kept her in the party the whole game just for her field attack

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hoping for some good clarification on sledgehammer - does it increase damage to break bars, or damage during break?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

damage to break bars

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Trying to avoid spoilers as I am actually just starting Trails 1, but this seemed like the best thread to ask:

I originally bought ToCS 1 for the Vita (lol).

If I buy the PS4 version of ToCS 1, can the cross save feature allow me to pick up my Vita version where I left off? I don't mean start a game of ToCS 2 with it, I know I can do that, I mean effectively change my platform from Vita to PS4.

I read that the PS4 versions have more voiced dialog and they obviously look better, so I'd like to play through on PS4 for all 3 games if I can, but I'd prefer not to have to restart my game if the Cross Save feature works Vita-to-PS4 and not just Vita-to-PS3.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

lets hang out posted:

damage to break bars

Well that would have made the boss in the second level of the Keep much easier

hope you are ok
Apr 16, 2005

Big lol at (end chapter 2 spoilers)

the end of chapter 2 where you look out of the train window only to see... a still picture of Lloyd Banning and two of his pals standing together on a hill, waving you goodbye! Lmfao come ON

Right now I'm midway through chapter 3, and while these games are generally good at resolving explicit plot points in the game where they are introduced, i think that too much has been introduced here for them to resolve. I'll let them prove me wrong but I doubt they can really resolve this story satisfactorily given the amount of dumb poo poo it's drowning in (the society, the gnomes... who gives a gently caress, honestly)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Annath posted:

Trying to avoid spoilers as I am actually just starting Trails 1, but this seemed like the best thread to ask:

I originally bought ToCS 1 for the Vita (lol).

If I buy the PS4 version of ToCS 1, can the cross save feature allow me to pick up my Vita version where I left off? I don't mean start a game of ToCS 2 with it, I know I can do that, I mean effectively change my platform from Vita to PS4.

I read that the PS4 versions have more voiced dialog and they obviously look better, so I'd like to play through on PS4 for all 3 games if I can, but I'd prefer not to have to restart my game if the Cross Save feature works Vita-to-PS4 and not just Vita-to-PS3.

It does indeed work from vita to ps4. I just did this for both games last week.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Haha,

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Just to add to what everyone else was saying, Arts definitely damage the break gauge, especially if the enemy's weak to the spell.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Whoever Cedric's VA is did a drat good job.

I loving hate Cedric.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Logicblade posted:

Whoever Cedric's VA is did a drat good job.

I loving hate Cedric.

Did noone teach him that steroids are bad?

Fie will be so disappointed.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is it even possible to have 7 superb dishes by the time you hit Crossbell for that quest?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Is it even possible to have 7 superb dishes by the time you hit Crossbell for that quest?

I managed it later in the day, and I was mostly money/ingredients limited.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Absolutely, I was able to turn that in immediately. Go around and try all the recommended dishes to bring your amount of recipes up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It didn't tell me that recommended dishes give you recipes until after I'd left school town so the one back there is haunting me now. Fortunately I assume you'll go back there.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Awesome, and good to know that's one I can go back to later after the Geofront dungeon. I burned through all my monster supplies trying to get the last two. I'm assuming those are made by the original Class VII members joining me, then. Thanks guys.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Juna is running around with Oboro, Faint, Freeze, Petrify, Nightmare, Speed Breaker, Bluster, and all the speed I can stack on her. It's exceptionally funny to draw an AOE on the battlefield then pop 3-4 different statues on everything in it every time she acts.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 28, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stelas posted:

Juna is running around with Oboro, Faint, Freeze, Petrify, Nightmare, Speed Breaker, Bluster, and all the speed I can stack on her. It's exceptionally funny to draw an AOE on the battlefield then pop 3-4 different statues on everything in it every time she acts.

I'm turning Kurt into a dodgetank because man I love that MQ. I haven't really settled on a role for everyone else, but I'm leaning towards doing what you did with Juna because I did the same with Tita in Sky and it was tons of fun.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There are EXACTLY 7 superb dishes you can get by the time you hit that quest, though one of them you have to buy in Crossbell (it's Cafe Macchiato, whose superb is made by Altina). The others you can buy in Crossbell require people you get later on in Chapter 2 so they're usable, but not immediately.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stelas posted:

This is what I did with Machias in the first two games, and Juna, oddly, seems to be his spiritual successor.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm turning Kurt into a dodgetank because man I love that MQ. I haven't really settled on a role for everyone else, but I'm leaning towards doing what you did with Juna because I did the same with Tita in Sky and it was tons of fun.

CS allows you more freedom to get stupid with it than Sky did. IIRC, back in Sky, you had a limit of 1 quartz of each type, and all status-effect quartz were treated as the same type so you could only slot one of them. In CS, your limit is 1 per line.

In CS1/2 I preferred using Fie with this tactic because she could get so many more attacks off and wield Laura at the same time.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One thing I'd like to mention WRT to builds that took me a while to notice: the break quartz series is a thing.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I think Juna fits well enough in her "intended" role of being able to break anything and everything, especially in conjunction with Rean who just murders no matter what the situation.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I do love that Rean acknowledges early on that Gale is absolutely ridiculous, and the developers kinda leaned into it by making it even more absurd. 80 CP gets refilled awfully quick

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Is there a "100%" completion guide required, or is this poo poo on the map or something so I don't miss it?

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I do love that Rean acknowledges early on that Gale is absolutely ridiculous, and the developers kinda leaned into it by making it even more absurd. 80 CP gets refilled awfully quick

Wait until you get to try Arcane Gale. That should be an S-craft.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Death Priest posted:

Wait until you get to try Arcane Gale. That should be an S-craft.

Considering the upfront CP cost it kinda sorta is. :stare:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

tithin posted:

Is there a "100%" completion guide required, or is this poo poo on the map or something so I don't miss it?

All Trails games have enough in the way of hidden quests or item collecting or fishing that you'll only feasibly find if you talk to everyone between each plotpoint. To some extent it's worth doing this anyway because they tend to be good about world-building, and it's usually interesting dialogue that's the main draw of these games. On the other hand, yeah use a walkthrough if you want to ensure 100%.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CS3 is actually getting me to play the card game for once by making it 'completable' ie you just have to win once against a person and that's it, job done.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Sakurazuka posted:

CS3 is actually getting me to play the card game for once by making it 'completable' ie you just have to win once against a person and that's it, job done.

I played a few times, until I learned there's no reason to get max AP this time around. I think this game is relatively generous about getting max rank so I'll probably just skip the quest that requires it. Or do the minimum and just miss out on the bonus AP.

And yes, Arcane Gale was completely absurd against that first boss. This Class VII could already take down an army.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What's nuts is Kurt's quartz. I managed to get a critical on a counter attack with a character under a certain Brave Order, and it popped 7,000 damage. I used that same character's S break, and it only did 5,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

What's nuts is Kurt's quartz. I managed to get a critical on a counter attack with a character under a certain Brave Order, and it popped 7,000 damage. I used that same character's S break, and it only did 5,000.

Oh yeah. I've got his counters hitting for 4K+ in Chapter 2. Y'know, the few times stuff gets to move. I can see why they toned down Brave Orders in IV