Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

lets hang out posted:

hidden quests are marked on the map

Consider this sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Ohtsam posted:

Game is preloading now. Super excited now that we know the localization is good but now I wish I could take time off on Tuesday.

I did this, and it said the game is 40 gigs, but then when I downloaded it (not the demo) it was only about 12-13. Do I have to wait until Tuesday to do the rest?

Also, I have the entire week off. :smug:
.....I just won't be near a PS4 for most of it :negative:

EDIT:

Ohtsam posted:

This review that focuses primarily on the translation in general assuaged my fears. https://youtu.be/Gc1wtYSslms

If you go into the comments for the review, you'll learn that Not only is Becky still inexplicably Scottish, she has a VA now

Spoilers for the presence of presumably an extremely minor fan-favorite NPC

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Shop VA is always a bad idea. Noticed a few localization bugs (North Ambria is listed as Leman State in the library, so Leman State is listed twice. Something was referred to as both "yesterday" and "two weeks ago" in the same conversation....)

But other than that, I have been really pleased with everything.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Clarste posted:

I've been finding that at the bare minimum the game expects you to be taking 50% damage at all times (which is easily arranged with Rean's Iron Will). Possibly less if you abuse Altina's Absolute Reflect ability.

Millium's reduces poo poo by 90%. So the boss I think they're talking about will hit you for 60 damage

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Logicblade posted:

You should constantly be using brave orders. Insane defense buffs, break damage increases, critical up, the effects are absurdly powerful.

Several turns of no-charge magic for only 2 points......

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

OddObserver posted:

The drops feel oddly clustered. I bought a couple of revives, then ended up in an area where every right seemed to drop a few.

I have something like 48 Curia balms and am still in the first big area

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Starsnostars posted:

What is Altina good at? I just assumed that she'd be like Millium was in the previous games but that doesn't seem to be the case.

The Brave order that reflects all incoming damage. But she's definitely a caster. She has two lines and one only has one stop.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Stelas posted:

Juna is running around with Oboro, Faint, Freeze, Petrify, Nightmare, Speed Breaker, Bluster, and all the speed I can stack on her. It's exceptionally funny to draw an AOE on the battlefield then pop 3-4 different statues on everything in it every time she acts.

This is what I did with Machias in the first two games, and Juna, oddly, seems to be his spiritual successor.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What's nuts is Kurt's quartz. I managed to get a critical on a counter attack with a character under a certain Brave Order, and it popped 7,000 damage. I used that same character's S break, and it only did 5,000.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I keep buying all the hair changing items, and will continue to do so, and then never, ever equip them. Also, they change the eye color too, which I feel is much more important.

OK, I have a question and need my heart broken. Don't click unless you've beaten Chapter 1

Agate mentions when you're going up to Hamel that before, a couple friends came up and wound up getting killed for their trouble, but he didn't elaborate on this in any sequence I saw.

.....is he talking about Kurt (The OG Kurt), Carna and Grant? ............Or Rocco, Rais, and Deen? Someone else? Do we even know?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Logicblade posted:

He didn't mention anyone getting killed? He was talking about Estelle and Joshua, but they're very much alive and well.

No, before that. Unless I misread and he was talking about the people who were killed during the disaster. Kind of annoying that I can back track thru the "Oh, look! A treasure chest" dialogue, but not the, you know, plot.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
What's nutty to me is how frequently Rean's Iron Will never makes any difference. 50% damage reduction often merely translates to "I am barely dead" instead of "I am hella dead".

Iunno if it's a Hard difficulty thing, but you'd think something that high would be fine. Bosses feel like they've overcompensated for strategies from 1 and 2. Almost no status has a reasonable chance to hit.

On another note, Aurelia might be the worst written character in the series. She feels like a bad fanfic insert was given plot prominence and I hate her.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Oct 31, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oh Snapple! posted:

That was my impression after posting honestly. She's hyper competent, but also this game world is full of people like that so who cares.

Everyone else has character flaws and/or pathos. Even McBurn, Cassius, Sharon......

Aurelia is presented similar to the psychopath from Battle Royale, without being a psychopath. Being written without a soul only works if you're presented as not having one

Edit:
A left field reveal that Aurelia is a reborn Dreichels and not Rean, Osborne, or Olivier, would honestly kind of own, though.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 31, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

What on earth

Shes insanely overambitious to the point of literally never being satisfied

That's like a thing you put on a job interview as a biggest flaw to hide where all the bodies are.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oh, no. I'm not falling for that one again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Victor feels a lot less likable now that he doesn't have his awesome voice.

I liked Cassius better as a super character because Cassius had actual flaws. For as amazing as he's supposed to be, and for someone who is supposed to "understand the true nature of things", he pretty crucially underestimated his own daughter until near the end of TitS 2nd (and to a lesser extent, Joshua). Like, her resolve, capability, intelligence, etc, etc. Estelle coming out on top and generally being the best felt more gratifying because she was seen as an underdog by so many people--even though she probably never actually was one. And of course, it helps that he was unspeakably proud of her after all was said and done.

It's still early days on Aurelia, but right now, she feels sort of like when your GM adds a super NPC into your group. She's got a whole game (game and 3/4s if you're me and still not that far on CS3) to build a case for herself as a decent character, but everything before now has been pretty unlikable.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Oh Snapple! posted:

I mean tbh you sound like you're projecting a lot of weird poo poo onto her and I'm still scratching my drat head at that ~no soul~ thing.

I mean she comes off as more robotic and less human than the literal artificial humans.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Paracelsus posted:

Japan having poo poo taste in waifus is nothing new.

In defense, they probably don't have an absolutely perfect VA for the role. How can two people be perfect as one person?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Metroixer posted:

speaking of aurelia, after an hour of this i have to throw my hands up and ask for help

chapter 2 sidequest: i can't seem to get her hp down to 70% before her s crafft completely clocks my poo poo in. i've tried what feels like every combo of stacking STR bonuses on top of STR bonuses and waiting at the last possible moment to use 200 cp S craft. i always just BARELY miss it. do i just need to grind? is it even possible to grind exp on a free day? please help i am apparenly bad at this game.

Equip Kurt's quartz on Rean, cast until you have strength up three times, wait until you counter one of her attacks, and then S break her. You never have to be hit by her big move. If she's at a point where she'll use it, a 200CP str up S break will take her past 70%, so chip away until she does her power up ability and then nuke her from orbit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is it just me, or does Ash kind of suck? Like, his stats seem fine, and his Brave Order is really good and pays for itself, but his crafts never have a chance to actually hit the area they say they do, and cost too much. And then for some reason his default placement is in the back?

I don't get it. Other thing I noticed is Emma ate an enormous Nerf between games, which feels weird, because other characters were way more broken and largely kept all their cool poo poo.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Captain Lavender posted:

I like Juna, she's got a lot of (Spoiler I guess if you haven't started the game at all) Estelle Bright in her personality-wise. It wasn't until just recently I noticed that both of their craft lists are really similar too. Cross break, is like Estelle's Hard Break - single target, small AOE, impedes. Gemini Blast has the same kind of range as Hurricane. Brave Smash is like Comet. Maybe I'm the last to notice though. I'm just wrapping up Chapter 2.

Some dialogue choices in this game are driving me nuts. I cannot believe how much they have women comment on how pretty other women are. Why do they try to get so much mileage out of girls' modesty when crawling through vents? It's every drat time. It's just tiresome. Reminds me of Ries in TitS 3 eating a lot. I get that it's like, the funniest thing in the world that a pretty lady would eat a lot, but jeez. It's too much.

So it's funnier when you go thru vents in CS4 and Ash says "Nice rear end, Schwarzer"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Chapter 3:

So.... Is Claire's uncle literally the only person on Zemuria who was executed for their crimes?

Well, only person who had a trial and was executed, maybe

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
For all that we know a bunch of stuff about the state of Calvard/the East, there was a line that made me suspect that the next series will be in Remiferia (or was it Arteria?).

Someone said that two of the Anguis are there.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

Oh that's really a shame. The all-caps email was hilarious and perfectly in-character for Laura.

I also appreciate how Fie's stuff is not capitalized for the most part.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I agree, it really isn't that bad, and Laura's second e-mail wouldn't be noticeable if the first weren't brilliant, but I think we're forgetting something.

Why can't OUR phones summon fireballs and dimensional vortexes?

Mine can, but holy hell, the bill afterward ain't worth it.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
This game starts out much harder than the first two, but then somehow, breaks itself open even harder than they did once you're able to get going.

I can't tell if my favorite thing is "Cast something like 6 high level arts in a row with no pauses for other characters" thanks to master quartz + elemental cool down + instacast brave order

or

109% evade, counters from long range, does +600% damage on an evade-and-counter, draws enemy fire 80% of the time, all counter-attacks are critical hits, and gently caress it, let's start the fight with Insight too, why not?!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
News: I, too, have now beaten this game.

Views: :stonk:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

U-DO Burger posted:

I just finished the big multi-party dungeon in chapter 4. how close am I to finishing this game? I'm like 80 hours in and it doesn't feel like the end is close yet.

You're pretty close. You've got a free day, a few missions all of the plot, and the final dungeon

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Clarste posted:

Yeah, but if their overall goal is broad enough that "end the world" and "do not end the world" are both valid options for reaching it, that implies that their orders from the Grandmaster are extremely vague at best. It's not just a leader leaving specific tactics to their generals.

We know what Ouroboros and the Grandmaster's goal is, or at least, one of them. They want to gather the Sept-Terrians if at all possible. So even if "end the world" seems horrific and awful, they're willing to do it if it means they get the Sept-terrians. So I'm pretty sure even though it's described as "Ending the world", the Anguis think they can survive somehow. And are probably right, given that Sky 3rd explicitly proved other dimensions are a thing, and the Grandmaster clearly has some kind of power over other dimensions, what with making Kernvitter and Angvar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Terper posted:

The only reason people feel that CS has feast or famine combat is because they make it true. Instead of just stacking up a bunch of Strength and Delay and turning your characters into glass cannons, try equipping some of your defensive options. Yes, HP and Defense quartz are actually helpful. You can stack stat down chances just as you can Delay, making it pretty reliable. Iron, Machias' starting MQ in 2, is really really good. And Angel is of course the ultimate comeback MQ.

This. Iron is terrible in CS1, but in CS2, it's bonkers. Cast the forgotten art that doubles your HP total, and you're basically invincible. McBurn hit me with his S-craft, wiped the rest of my party, and Machias is still standing there, with more than his max HP, like it wasn't a big deal. Good god.

There being so many options for breaking the game just means you can use all of them or none of them, or just... goof off in fights. Once you have a general sense of how the game plays, you can have fun with it. The CS battle system is seriously good.

.....that said, I miss overdrives.