Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

As I play this game, it's getting ridiculous how 100% of the cast has a nickname. It was already a bit much, but the showdown on top of that tower in chapter 2 was awful. Hello, I'm Shinjobi the Kneejerk.

typically it's to help you figure out who the really tough guys are, except it's the 3rd game now so there's like 20 of them at this point

just finished it, the localization is fine even if not up to earlier quality. I'm willing to let more slide because it seems like they were trying, at least. also holy poo poo i literally have no idea how they're going to resolve the cliffhanger

there's a lot of assholes in this game but my favorite rear end in a top hat Move is probably rufus just casually walking away while rean is taking the emotional fallout for crossbell's occupation, what an amazing dickhead

e: also rean had better adopt altina in cs4

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

you don't even need to do that much, gungir is hilariously busted with how much you can up crit rate in this game

why yes i'd love rean to start off every fight with a 30kx2 arcane gale

e: though endgame enemies actually take these kind of shenanigans in mind and have tons of hp

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

But filling out that adoption paperwork one letter at a time is tedious as hell

if rean doesn't officially adopt altina in cs4 i riot

man rufus easily has the highest "oh you motherfucker" count in rpg history at this point

interesting how jusis holding his own against him is the first time he looks genuinely pissed off

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Nov 27, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Ranking the CSs in relation to one another is so loving weird and hard to do. The formula and structure of these games is almost painfully obvious from the word Go, and on one hand that sort of familiarity when paired with the story Falcom is telling is still quite compelling, and on the other hand whenever you step back from them you really start to see the seams from everything getting stretched. I guess if I were to put it one way, the individual chapters are often great, and I love all of the downtime story bits and the characters just like interacting with one another, and I ALSO like the big story beats and reveals, but the second I look at it from a storyboarding standpoint it feels I keep thinking "wait they only got through THAT much in that entire game?"

then don't look at it from a storyboarding standpoint because that's weird

I agree it's probably worse because it's a cliffhanger though

Nate RFB posted:

"Initiate cooking mode" is the best cooking line and it's not even close (and there are some real good ones, too!).

Also re: bikes I love Altina's "Go! Go! Go! :geno:"

I miss Millium's "death tolls in the thousands!"

e: my main voice complaint is that jusis doesn't make that weird "nyeh" noise when he casts arts anymore

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 28, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

yeah really

you could see how TITS1 and CS1 could continue, but CS3 is like

how on earth do they resolve any of this

hell how on earth can they even get into a position to solve any of this

also crow what the hell you'd think he'd be super on board for some osborne murder

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

not reading even that spoiler because i love driving myself insane for the wait, but rebellion comes up a bunch in the game(most notably, sieg's moveset and a lot of the best weapons/armor) so I can figure out where the story in general is going, I'm more talking about how the hell they're going to get out of the immediate situation

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord Ephraim posted:

I didn't play with any sort of guide and barely hit instructor S rank. Was there a lot of hidden AP in the game I missed? My chapter 4 evaluation was B despite hitting every single green exclamation point and visible AP bonus from fights I could get.

not sure what you missed, chapter 4's APs are pretty easy to get. did you screw up on the midterms? or fail to catch up the the calvard agents? get every choice on the girls school mission right the first time?

those are the only easy to miss points in ch4 i can think of

the final chapter is the only one that really pulls dick moves with ap, hello 2 hidden bosses

Oh Snapple! posted:

Beat the game tonight and I guess my pre-4 plan now is to watch an LP of Sky FC since I continuously stall out on it's molasses-like build, and then play SC and Third.

don't forget to memorize the battle theme so you can be extremely disappointed in SC's

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 1, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Ehhh, there's a number easy to miss AP floating around, mainly revolving around completing some additional task before turning one quest or another in which are not necessarily marked like investigating the truck before proceeding into the news building when looking for listening devices. Another group of easy ones to miss are the ones that have sequences of choices, like the Radio Trista drama broadcast one.

oh I forgot about that loving truck, yeah that one's a jerk

tbf a cutscene has it specifically appearing but it's still insanely easy to miss

most bonus objectives have the green points so if you press down and check your map often you'll catch them fairly easily(plus the party will usually be like "well we could report this now but")

CS3 is way, way better about secret quests/objectives than CS2 and earlier, probably something they learned from xanadu

Sweetgrass posted:

The tea ceremony quest was the only time I looked up anything in guide because gently caress you game, how am I supposed to know how that poo poo works offhand? I can imagine that was a common one to lose AP on if you didn't look it up.

that one isn't too hard to savescum though

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 1, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Clarste posted:

Wtf do you wipe the cup with your fingers? That's disgusting.

it's a ceremony, poo poo is weird and incredibly specific

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

I'm always struggling with why Crowe tried to stop Rean from killing Osborne given, you know, the guy's entire motivation. If it was Crowe by himself making the stop I'd have less issues with it, as it becomes easy to see it as "he's doing it because Osborne will probably loving kill him." But instead he teams up with Rutger and Arianrhod who definitely don't really give a poo poo about that to do it. It's just a mess of a scene.

given his line of "gently caress why did i remember this now" killing osborne would probably make Bad Things happen, which is probably why rutger and arianrhod joined in

Artix posted:

And seriously, what the gently caress is with the final chapter. I get that it *sort of* implies that Osborne has some kind of mind control power or whatever, but what the hell was that procession in the final chapter. The main academy shows up to fight you because...uh, Cedric said so? The Ironbloods, all of whom were helping you kill Cryptids *literally yesterday*, are just like "Yep, we're gonna stop you. Sucks but that's how it is!". Even loving Duvalie sees what's going on by the end, and is like "Yeah, no I'm out." Kurt and Juna impotently screaming "what the gently caress is wrong with all you, why are literally all of you okay with this" is one of the most relatable scenes in the entire game, tbh.

tbf rufus is a well-known absolute piece of poo poo, lechter is a low-key piece of poo poo, and claire clearly feels insanely conflicted about it(and osborne is taking advantage of the weird life-debt she feels she owes him). Millium's the only inexplicable one but she's also kinda not trying

osborne seems to go for the weissman playbook of "approach someone at their absolute lowest moment and push them to make terrible life decisions" rather than mind control

e: also i don't really mind the slow burn, but I enjoyed TITS1 while some people have a rough time with it so maybe it's just a matter of taste there :shrug:

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 2, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Supremezero posted:

Ain't nobody need no PS4

given how badly they optimized ys8 i wouldn't jump the gun on that

(it was totally playable but was still just like a vita version port with 0 framerate improvements)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Nerfing Ranger (and backrow attacking in general) I hope.

making the AI not dumb as hell would be the biggest change

e: also if vantage masters is taking too long then here's a quick deck for you

3x blaze
3x mana crystal
3x ranged attacker, probably the fire dudes

there you've won every match easily

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 4, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

huh i never thought of that use for it

I usually just point brigid/gungir rean at the bad guys and laugh

e: also a boss at the end has an attack that brings you down to 1hp, which leads to amazing comedy if you're set up for it

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 4, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Captain Lavender posted:

Beat the game:

I think (and this is pure speculation) all of them are fine, since george was like "oh so crow must be..." after everything went to poo poo, which means that he put in a trigger for crow to get his memories back, which means he probably didn't kill those three

also i thought the curse was lame until osborne revealed his plan to use it to do more imperialism, what an amazing shithead

the game seems to be pretty standard trails pacing imo, 1st game is a slow burn that introduces and develops the characters while familiarizing yourself with the area, 2nd is where things go nuts. the "3" is what's throwing people off i think

e:

Shinjobi posted:

Aurelia is fun. More Aurelia please. Just started chapter 3, I believe. She gives 0 fucks.

you are going to love chapter 3

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

one final thought during my ng+ replay, i like how cedric is basically bizzarro Rean

Rean: selfless to a fault, constantly talks about friendship while taking way too many burdens on himself, makes friends extremely easily, loves helping people, has abandonment issues

Cedric: completely self-absorbed, constantly talks about how great he is while delegating his burdens to everyone else, people instinctively find him kind of gross when he takes the mask off, actively looks down on helping people, abandons his family

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like people are forgetful of how Sky FC actually wraps up, what was at stake at the time, etc. Like yeah that game overall has a very meandering pace but it still manages to build to its final chapter just fine and you have more than enough justifications for why things matter at that point; you don't at all have a feeling looking back on the previous chapters that "well, none of that seemed to really matter for that finale". At the very least I think Sky FC did a better job of being subtle about what hints and tidbits revealed in that game would come into play into the next game, whereas Cold Steel 3 goes frequently in the opposite direction at times and makes it fairly clear/implicit that "yeah none of what we're doing at the moment is going to really matter for a whole another game."

it's basically the first half of sky SC, except everyone is being cryptic assholes(in sky nobody told you poo poo either but that's because the enforcers didn't know or care what the plan was and were just dicking around)

cold steel 3 is mostly about showing you the extent of erebonia's mounting militarization and it's effects on the people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

totally done with my ng+ run, platinumed the game

or i would have if i didn't miss a chest somewhere fuuuck :negative:

oh well, all set for whenever IV drops