Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It really seems like they're setting up Millium and Altina up to be front and center this time around. I like that. Millium was just kinda...there in 2, even though she ended up being my boss smasher. It's pretty clear they're a lot closer to the heart of the Erebonia arc than that.

Am I the only one having issues seeing the itty bitty numbers on the lower right of the battle screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm actually buying healing items this time around. Holy crap

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I bought them 10 minutes ago then learned a Brave Order for instant casting. The RPG penny pincher in me is sobbing.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Not gonna lie, I'm a little nervous about heading to the end of Chapter 1. I'm having trouble with battles. I get that you're supposed to pretty much use Brave Orders constantly, but I'm having difficulty keeping up the BP to do so

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That final (normal) fight in Chapter 1 ended up being great. A nail biter but in a good way. I'm getting into a groove with the Brave Orders now. They really fix the big problem of the early parts of these games where your options are just so limited.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

lets hang out posted:

damage to break bars

Well that would have made the boss in the second level of the Keep much easier

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is it even possible to have 7 superb dishes by the time you hit Crossbell for that quest?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Awesome, and good to know that's one I can go back to later after the Geofront dungeon. I burned through all my monster supplies trying to get the last two. I'm assuming those are made by the original Class VII members joining me, then. Thanks guys.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Stelas posted:

Juna is running around with Oboro, Faint, Freeze, Petrify, Nightmare, Speed Breaker, Bluster, and all the speed I can stack on her. It's exceptionally funny to draw an AOE on the battlefield then pop 3-4 different statues on everything in it every time she acts.

I'm turning Kurt into a dodgetank because man I love that MQ. I haven't really settled on a role for everyone else, but I'm leaning towards doing what you did with Juna because I did the same with Tita in Sky and it was tons of fun.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I do love that Rean acknowledges early on that Gale is absolutely ridiculous, and the developers kinda leaned into it by making it even more absurd. 80 CP gets refilled awfully quick

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Sakurazuka posted:

CS3 is actually getting me to play the card game for once by making it 'completable' ie you just have to win once against a person and that's it, job done.

I played a few times, until I learned there's no reason to get max AP this time around. I think this game is relatively generous about getting max rank so I'll probably just skip the quest that requires it. Or do the minimum and just miss out on the bonus AP.

And yes, Arcane Gale was completely absurd against that first boss. This Class VII could already take down an army.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Veryslightlymad posted:

What's nuts is Kurt's quartz. I managed to get a critical on a counter attack with a character under a certain Brave Order, and it popped 7,000 damage. I used that same character's S break, and it only did 5,000.

Oh yeah. I've got his counters hitting for 4K+ in Chapter 2. Y'know, the few times stuff gets to move. I can see why they toned down Brave Orders in IV

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Oh goddammit, something bad is gonna happen to Altina, isn't it? She reminds me an awful lot of Lenneth. Fortunately, Rean is a better dad than Odin

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 29, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Terper posted:

Uh, you can. There is both the voiced field dialogue rollback and all other conversation rollback. Press up on the dpad.

As for who he's talking about, he's referring to a single idiot who got himself killed.

Cassius got killed offscreen

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I know it’s almost Halloween, but please don’t try to give people a Cassius Fright.

It's like the Shia LeBeouf song but with Cassius Bright

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Really Machias? "You failed your inspection" is one of the worst ultimate attack one-liners I've heard. I was right to hate you from the beginning

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Levantine posted:

The first couple bosses were just absolute murder for me. Then I started using Brave Orders that let you break them faster and once they're broken the BOs that keep your delay low. I really haven't struggled on a boss in like 40 hours since. I think the early game is rough going because you really don't have any of the options the game expects you to use.

It kinda seems to balance out though, because (At least in the first two chapters) the insanely broken combo isn't available for the final fights, which are both against multiple enemies. I haven't found anything too difficult yet, except the Chapter 2 Keep boss and that's only because I misunderstood the wording for Sledgehammer

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I can't decide if I think George has a secret because it's so drat obvious or if it's so obvious that it's a red herring. I love/hate these games

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Oh Snapple! posted:

Very tangentially related but I've appreciated how Ouroboros fights have been handled so far. There's generally been circumstances going on that I can easily roll with so it's not anywhere near as frustrating as 2 was.

I just kinda stared at the screen when he showed up for exactly this reason.

I love how time passes everyone becomes more and more capable of countering Ouroboros. It really gives a sense that there's more being accomplished than what our characters are doing. Ouroboros really doesn't have as much a lead as it used to.

And, right?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Clarste posted:

"I'm up! It's down!"

-Rean, a lot

I legitimately though Alissa was replying "No it's not!" until I realized that would be a stupid thing to reply with

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I've been considering dropping Kurt for Missed, so good to know.

As far as Ash is concerned, I've gotten into a groove of getting close to the enemies, swapping him in, and watching the bad guys fall down. His mobility is incredibly hindering.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ethiser posted:

Why is the game so cagey about anybody saying Lloyd's name? Everybody refers to him as Him and every now and then they'll just say his last name.

He's Tidus' brother

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ethiser posted:

Crow sucks though so no one should bother to remember his name.

What I don't get is Rean's refusal to believe Azure is Crow. You saw someone alive a month ago that two people you trust saw die, and the man said he can't say what happened. Get your poo poo together, Rean

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just failed the Vantage Master quest. Horribly. I love card games but hate Magic-type games. Oh well, I hear this game is pretty lenient on the Max Rank AP requirement and I got S on chapters 1 and 2 so I think I'll be ok.

So far my only real issue is with the nonstop Rean harem. C'mon ladies, find a better hobby. It's some developers wet dream, I know, but it's still annoying.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Yeah, I bought the I and II PS4 remakes in the hopes they changed that. Waste of money, but I guess I have them all on the same system now, for whatever that's worth

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hwurmp posted:

utterly shameful

who on earth would choose Rean over Olivier

Terrorists, that's who. A bunch of godless terrorists

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The only sport across Zemuria more popular than shoving Estelle and Joshua together is raising Duvalie's blood pressure

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm not quite at the end yet (thought the dragon would be it, but apparently not) and I'm aware that I just talked about being annoyed by the harem, but it really kimda sucks that Rean isn't given the option to kiss Towa after max bonding, while he can do that to Alissa. Towa is the only character he's able to open up to. Everyone else he just plays cheerleader for

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Clarste posted:

I feel like Towa's role in this game was surprisingly downplayed though, given that she's another teacher though.

That scene just before the final dungeon is her greatest moment so far

Edit because I didn't want to type this out on my phone:

Really? I feel like this game finally did her some justice. She's very rarely shown front and center because that's not who the character is. But she's shown to be strong, capable, and incredibly intelligent and insightful. She demands respect. She is absolutely an asskicker at background stuff. And she is ALWAYS making sure everyone is ok, to her own detriment and that part of her eventually comes to a head. She is very much the behind-the-scenes version of Rean.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 5, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I finished.

Is IV an interactive novel where Rean goes to therapy?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ohtsam posted:

Once I got a handle on the new break system and how to use orders to abuse it the game was even easier than CS1 & 2

They did a really good job at balancing it out, too. At least as far as random battles are concerned. Sledgehammer + Wind Blade will eat through pretty much everything you encounter up to and including the final boss, but you don't always have access to it. Sara's is just completely absurd. It's pretty great, but the game definitely punishes you if you let a boss get out of Break mode. Bosses were designed to get them in Break mode and keep them there, for the love of Aidios. Pretty much any boss in the final dungeon is gonna OHKO your team if you let them out of Break. I wasn't a fan of that aspect because it snaps you into a panic mode with a powered up boss. I would not have won the second-to-last battle if Alissa hadn't been equipped with that accessory that raises HP by 9999. I also wish there was a way to revive people who were shifted out of the battle party.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Losem posted:

I feel like the few times I've used spirit incense (heals 50% max health revive to party) it has done that to the entire party including those warming the bench.

Well that would have made the dragon fights easier. The second one was a real nailbiter. It was down to Millium at one point. Which is when you're supposed to use those kinds of items, but what sort of RPG player would I be if I did that?

Although it did make me actually laugh because I had this mental image of 11 other people standing around watching while this little girl fought off a dragon with her friends unconscious around her.

Hey maybe THAT'S her unspecified reason for fighting the party at the end. She was mad

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Sakurazuka posted:

Chapter 4 Dragon boss gave me the most trouble so far this game, my second team really wasn't set up properly but I didn't want to do the first part again so I just ended up hitting 'retry and weaken' until I won lol

Yeah I had a real hard time with that phase too. And ill-timed 10% heal didn't help much.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Has anyone here played IV in Japanese? Just so I'm not wondering forever, is Millium Crono-dead or Tellah-dead? Judging by the rest of the game I'm assuming the former but I also wouldn't put it past the developers to leave her gone for good

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Lechter definitely has his own agenda. Whether that's good or bad is anyone's guess

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I have a bad case of "I use the characters I like and I don't care how poo poo they are in battle and if I don't like you, you're benched forever and I'm so hosed at the inevitable duel they will have".

I use Jean and Spar almost exclusively when I play Breath of Fire II. Nash gets buffed all to hell when I play Lunar. Adray and Roger are my main fighters in Star Ocean: 'Til the End of Time. And Wallace gets every stat boost item then stomps all over the bad guys when I play Fire Emblem.

And I will NEVER use Ash. Or Machias.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 14, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
My roommate just asked if I ever found out who the mysterious hunter from Chapter 1 was. I remember the event but not what he looked like. Anyone know who he was?

EDIT: I really wanna say it was Rutger because it was Chapter 1, but I'm not entirely certain

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Nov 15, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Logicblade posted:

It was Rutger yes.

Thank ya

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
They have, but I didn't know jaeger meant that. Neat little nod, though.

I just wasn't completely sure since that first scene is all of 30 seconds and I legitimately could not remember what he looked like. He must have been wearing a different outfit, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I dodged every single battle in the last dungeon. I don't have the best track record with randos in Trails final dungeons